PDA

View Full Version : Austin

Zagaholic
11-08-2007, 11:27 AM
17 points in 20 minutes in his first collegiate game. Enough said. Does anybody else think Austin might be starting a game at some point this season? Downs will continue to start over Austin for now just because Downs has a lot more experience in the GU system and Few always prefers to start juniors and seniors, and practice reports indicate that Downs has been outstanding in practice, but it seems to me that Austin will be knocking on the door of starting at some juncture this year.

I know freshmen rarely start for GU (although I believe Morrison did in the MSG game that I saw in person) but Austin just has so much godgiven talent I think he is a potential starter if he keeps improving. Downs and Austin could both start in the same game (Downs at SG, or Austin playing a second SF if we go small with Heytvelt at center).

ZagNative
11-08-2007, 11:33 AM
First shot of Austin in real competition as a Zag is up in the Spokesman-Review online album of the Emporia State game (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/zags/photo.asp?showid=403&photo=2):

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/media/slideshows/20071107_zags/r_02.jpg
Emporia State's Wes Book's shot attempt is blocked by
Gonzaga's David Pendergraft and Austin Daye during the
first half. (Ingrid Barrentine/Associated Press)

Boy, is it great to see that kid in a Zags uniform!

zagfan07
11-08-2007, 11:34 AM
I could definately see that happening for Sunday if Bouldin isn't able to go. Micah would move to SG and Daye would fill in at SF. Pendo and Kuso down low (assuming Josh is limited with his foot).

Rubbadub
11-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Josh was ok'd for 5 minutes by the med staff yesterday. Hopefully he'll be able to play for even more on Sunday.

scrooner
11-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Looks like Few is trying to join Grant Wahl's All-Hobbit Team...

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/zags/photo.asp?showid=403&photo=3

cggonzaga
11-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Josh was ok'd for 5 minutes by the med staff yesterday. Hopefully he'll be able to play for even more on Sunday.

I think it had more to do with being in game shape than the foot. There doesn't seem to be in lingering effects from it.

Rubbadub
11-08-2007, 12:05 PM
There are lingering effects or the medical staff would have gave him the green light. They only cleared him for 5 minutes though.

D Hark 2003
11-08-2007, 12:57 PM
I doubt Daye will start over Downs. That made me laugh. I didnt see the game, but i did here that Daye played really well, looked good, and i was glad to hear that he looks good. But, it was against a DII opponent, and Downs is lights out from the perimeter. Downs could come off the bench and still score in tons. I think against Division 1 opponents it will not be so easy for Daye(skinny as a rail) to get to the rack. Anyways im glad all the freshman looked nice and i am excited for the upcoming season. And Daye does have the potential to start next year for sure.

If Bouldin isnt able to go i would start Pendo at three and Downs at two, or downs at 3 and steven Gray at the two.

spudzag
11-08-2007, 01:15 PM
If yesterday against a lesser opponent is a sign Daye needs playing time. It's possible that Daye could start, but not at the expense of taking Downs off the court. D Hark suggest a couple of scenerio that makes some sense. I'm usre there are others too.

D Hark 2003
11-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Spudzag your post doesnt make sense. I was saying that Daye was playing against a DII opponent and looked real good against them, but he would not be as good against a DI team. The same can be said for everyone, but Daye got some much tick because few knew we would pull away in the second half and few wanted to get the young guys experience and get the butterflys out of their system before the real games start. My previous post was referring to the original post on this thread, the poster said the they think Daye may over take downs in the starting lineup. At least thats what i got from it.

CDC84
11-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I doubt you will see Daye ever start over Downs because Gonzaga really needs to have a sharpshooter out on the floor in their starting lineup. If the idea is to use Pargo/Bouldin as the starting backcourt....those are guys whose offensive prowess is mainly centered around what they do inside the 3 point line. Austin is not a long range sharpshooter....having him in there makes little sense unless someone else like a Downs or Steven Gray also starts so that GU's offense has enough diversity to keep opponents on their heels.

Personally, I don't have issues with Austin coming off the bench for the entire season. There's enough offensive firepower throughout the whole team. It's a different situation from when Adam was a freshman. Ammo should've have been starting by late December 2003. That is the only decision that Few has ever made during his tenure as a head coach that I think went really bad, and actually led to the downfall of his team. You simply cannot have a 2 guard and a small forward on the floor at the same time who average less than 6 PPG each, and yet that's what took place by having Bankhead and Knight on the same floor to start the game. The 2003/04 team consequently struggled offensively to start off games again and again, but they were able to overcome it against WCC competition once Ammo got in the game. They couldn't get away with it against Nevada in the NCAA tourney though.

zag67
11-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I doubt that Daye will ever start this year unless there are some injuries. I think that if you have him come on as the instant type of offense and LG come in as the instant and intense defensive player, you have a super set of forward reserves. Also If Kuso gets in foul trouble then you would have Sacre and Theo to protect the middle. And then lastly you have Gray as the long range instant type of offense (when some of the others are not shooting very well).

The coaches have these super options and they just have to keep working to find the players that work the best together as units. All the players are all good, but knowing and getting the best pieces of this puzzle to work as units is going to be one of the hard parts. Another is keeping them all happy. I cannot picture any of them (at some time during their careers) not starting for another WCC team (including Foster who is redshirting). Therefore getting them to understand and accept that the "team" is better than any of the parts will be the coaches job. And that will mean that all of players have to learn to accept a lesser role than the one that they had on previous teams.

Lurknomore
11-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Dennis Patchin just said "Austin Daye has the chance to be the greatest Zag ever!"

JAGzag
11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Dennis Patchin just said "Austin Daye has the chance to be the greatest Zag ever!"

That's not far fetched, but he certainly has a long way to go. I'm not sure weight is THE issue. I keep thinking of Durant - he was skinny as a toothpick, but didn't have a problem finding the basket.

BobZag
11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
If this were a thin team, yes, Daye would likely start, much like Stepp starting as a frosh, or Matt last year. But starting is over-rated a bit. Few will have his best 5 in at the end of games, and that's what counts. Daye is a superb FT shooter. He may very well finish most games for GU.

Zagaholic
11-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I doubt Daye will start over Downs. That made me laugh.

Apparently I wasn't very clear in the original post. I never said Daye should start over Downs or will start over Downs. But I can see where Downs and Daye could be in the same starting lineup at some point this season.

MickMick
11-08-2007, 04:19 PM
If this were a thin team, yes, Daye would likely start, much like Stepp starting as a frosh, or Matt last year. But starting is over-rated a bit. Few will have his best 5 in at the end of games, and that's what counts. Daye is a superb FT shooter. He may very well finish most games for GU.

Great post BZ and by the way...

if Daye averages double figures for the year, he is still in the hunt (with Mills and possibly Gray or Sacre) for newcomer of the year. He still will get accolades rolling in, and if it goes according to BZ's post, a game winning shot or two. He can still have a great year without starting.

drnoe
11-08-2007, 05:32 PM
17 points in 20 minutes in his first collegiate game.

Daye averaged about a point a minute last year, and he was almost there last night. Yes, I'd say he's off to a good start.

Unbiased
11-08-2007, 08:28 PM
17 points in 20 minutes in his first collegiate game. Enough said. Does anybody else think Austin might be starting a game at some point this season? Downs will continue to start over Austin for now just because Downs has a lot more experience in the GU system and Few always prefers to start juniors and seniors, and practice reports indicate that Downs has been outstanding in practice, but it seems to me that Austin will be knocking on the door of starting at some juncture this year.

Please! I know that is a little sarcastic but I can't help myself. Daye is going to be good - really good - maybe he might be written up in ESPN with all the hype to go with it by the time the conference starts. In my opinion, for what its worth, Daye will be starting before the year is over but not at the expense of Downs

Downs is an outstanding player. I watched the game yesterday and I think Downs is twice the player he was last year.

Downs has quick feet, is a great leaper, and plays defense hard - something not all the Zags do consistently. His stroke is smooth and he can handle the guard position if necessary. At six eight, I would take him on my starting five for any team in America.

With that said, I was impressed with Sacre's heart. He plays hard, appear to be humble, and plays with great enthusiasm. He certainly is mechanical in his offensive skill set and needs to refine most of his post moves - but it will come in a year or two. I just wish he would not try to lay in two to four foot shots off the glass. He needs to aggressively take a step and jam them down.