PDA

View Full Version : A little pick me up after tonight.... the future is looking alright.

Idahozag10
03-30-2019, 08:23 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190331/12060316c65d742f835a98df60277b5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zagsfanforlife
03-30-2019, 08:36 PM
Projected Starting 5 next year:

Ravet/Ayayi :woah:
Norvell (Hopefully)
Kispert
Timme
Petrusev

Watson, Zhakarov, Ballo, Arlauskas off the bench

Very Very young. Should be fun to watch them grow, but even with Norvell coming back which sounds like is not a guarantee, I don't see that as a team advancing any further than a sweet 16.

Now if we got a graduate transfer pg who is ELITE....which you find, who knows where... then we have a chance at something special. I think Norvell and Kispert will be very very good next year and will make a big jump. Inside we have (5) 4 or 5 star guys .. 5!!!!!!

However in 2020-2021??? But thats so far away.. ugh!!

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2019, 08:38 PM
Projected Starting 5 next year:

Ravet/Ayayi :woah:
Norvell (Hopefully)
Kispert
Timme
Petrusev

Watson, Zhakarov, Ballo, Arlauskas off the bench

Very Very young. Should be fun to watch them grow, but even with Norvell coming back which sounds like is not a guarantee, I don't see that as a team advancing any further than a sweet 16.

However in 2020-2021??? But thats so far away.. ugh!!

I'd bet there's a 75% chance that at least one starter isn't even in the current roster yet, maybe two.

MDABE80
03-30-2019, 08:40 PM
I'm thinking we'll be need a PG with lots of focus, skills and experience. Such a person is in sight. Dom Harris won't be here for another season unfortunately. Some really good player will be needed. I know I wouldn't turn Joel or Brock loose as a PG. Trust the Fewmeister……..

zagsfanforlife
03-30-2019, 08:44 PM
I mean if we got a stud pg.. and Norvell and lets say tillie returns... which i think is less than 50%... then we may be on to something.

I don't expect to make a huge run next year. My join i imagine will see the growth in the young guys.

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2019, 08:45 PM
I actually think our streak may end next season, but I love the unknown.

Ezag
03-30-2019, 09:03 PM
Nah! If you believe in the coaching staff, the streak will live on

gonzagafan62
03-30-2019, 09:05 PM

No kidding. Not ending at all

It was fun to continue updating the ole signature though

bartruff1
03-30-2019, 09:11 PM

Of course it will..... with a recruiting class like that and a grad transfer or two...I could see another SS or more....

Winning Maui and beating Duke was huge and beating Florida State was even more important for the Program....

zagsfanforlife
03-30-2019, 09:12 PM
Help me out.. assuming 3 out of 4 of Clarke, Rui Tillie and Norvell leave, how many open scholarships would we currently have?

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2019, 09:15 PM

What??!?!? The two are not mutually exclusive.

KStyles
03-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Help me out.. assuming 3 out of 4 of Clarke, Rui Tillie and Norvell leave, how many open scholarships would we currently have?

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?56967-Scholarship-Table-as-of-November-20-2018&p=1436007#post1436007

Looks like 3 (2 with Oumar Ballo)

CdAZagFan
03-30-2019, 09:28 PM
Tillie needs to come back and lead this team... It's his turn.

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2019, 09:28 PM

1 of those guys, Kispert, Petrusev, Ayayi, Foster, Watson, Timme, Ravet, Ballo, Pavel, Arlauskas. So 2 more, because you're allowed 13, correct?

zagsfanforlife
03-30-2019, 09:32 PM
Honestly, i don't see either Foster or Ayayi back. Foster most likely..

Which depending on tillie returning, would mean 2 or 3 spots. If I'm few I'm adding the 2 best grad transfers i can get my hands on.

College basketball continues to have more and more grad transfers each year and many want to play for an elite program such as ours.

2020-2021 will be one of the better years yet i have a feeling.. no need to get any younger by adding two more freshman.. get two Matt Mooney types to fill in with what we currently have.m

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2019, 09:33 PM
Honestly, i don't see either Foster or Ayayi back. Foster most likely..

Which depending on tillie returning, would mean 2 or 3 spots. If I'm few I'm adding the 2 best grad transfers i can get my hands on.

College basketball continues to have more and more grad transfers each year and many want to play for an elite program such as ours.

2020-2021 will be one of the better years yet i have a feeling.. no need to get any younger by adding two more freshman.. get two Matt Mooney types to fill in with what we currently have.m

Agreed, I was gonna post that, but I thought that it might be bit too soon. I see one or both getting the PMAC/Alberts/Arop/Morninghoff/Keita/Nunez/Villarino treatment.

MDABE80
03-30-2019, 09:34 PM
Dunno why anyone could think we're going downhill. Rui? Gone?? Dunno based on the last few games. Numbers were ok but the play wasn't. Clarke? Probably. Norvell? Where? He goes nowhere...not now anyway.
Tillie?? Dunno why he didn't play more today? Feet hurting again?? Not one full season and someone thinks he'll be drafted?? I doubt it. Doesn't mean he'll stay but he's not going NBA or even drafted I would guess.

We now have 7 months to figure it out. We will.

A lot of comments tonight are irrational and surely influenced by todays disappointing game and the premature season end. Give it a few days. Or even till post FF. We have lots to look forward to.

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2019, 09:36 PM
Dunno why anyone could think we're going downhill. Rui? Gone?? Dunno based on the last few games. Numbers were ok but the play wasn't. Clarke? Probably. Norvell? Where? He goes nowhere...not now anyway.
Tillie?? Dunno why he didn't play more today? Feet hurting again?? Not one full season and someone thinks he'll be drafted?? I doubt it. Doesn't mean he'll stay but he's not going NBA or even drafted I would guess.

A lot of comments tonight are irrational and surely influenced by todays disappointing game and the premature season end. Give it a few days. Or even till post FF. We have lots to look forward to.

Rui and Clarke are 100% gone.

MDABE80
03-30-2019, 10:14 PM
Rui has been just so non lottery is the past several games I’m not so sure. Clarke? Love him to stay but he’s a goner. Rui hasn’t been the old Rui for weeks......not sure why he’s different but to me he is. Whether this factors into a change in his NBA draft isn’t known. ... unless you ask Spy who seems to know everything these days:) lololol

Typing on my new phone without glasses is dangerous as I just found out.

Worthington
03-30-2019, 11:56 PM
My thoughts on some of the future Zags:

Anton Watson is a better NBA prospect than Rui. Not quite built in the same way, but I believe he's a more fluid and explosive athlete. He's going to be a star for us.

Drew Timme can pass like Karnowski, handle like Rui in the open court, and has post footwork like Sabonis. A little bit limited athletically and may struggle to protect the rim, but I think he will be an All-American in his time here.

Pavel Zakharov has really high upside and projects as an elite defender and shot blocker. Reminds me of a Zach Collins type defender. Should have him for a few years at least and I imagine he blossoms in that time.

Oumar Ballo is raw, but a physical specimen. May have an unparalleled combination of size, strength, and athleticism from anyone we've had before. He will be knocking on the NBA's door in a few years. I'm drooling at the thought of having him as a bench/energy guy off the bench to start his career. He will be a difference maker right off the bat

Our front court next year is absolutely STACKED. We're just missing a high level point guard to make everything go. Imagine landing a guy like Matt Mooney who Texas Tech snagged off of the grad transfer market. Still feel like we win a game or two in the tournament with next year's squad, the year after could be another contending year, especially if Zach is still around.

rawkmandale
03-31-2019, 01:19 AM

Great post. I expect two of the three juniors to return, plus Norvell. They are FAMILY - want to climb the mountain together.

supernova
03-31-2019, 02:11 AM
Sick to my stomach how the tournament has unfolded so far. I'm glad that the Zags are recruiting well. Regroup and make another run next season!

gonzagafan62
03-31-2019, 05:35 AM
Rui and Clarke are definitely gone. Let’s no set ourselves up for more heartbreak. Tillie is the only one that I could see coming back.. and that’s a stretch. I’m expecting all three to leave. If they don’t it’s a bonus. One thing I agree with is we aren’t going downhill. That’s just crazy. Some posters can’t lay off extreme view points for whatever reason. I guess that’s what you get here.

We have our best ever recruiting cksss coming in. We’ll be okay. Few is an elite coach. We’ll win a lot of games and be in tourney. Past that I have no clue

Zags11
03-31-2019, 08:19 AM
Rui and clarke and tillie are going to be gone. I just cant believe Few forgot about Tillie in the game.

Ladyzag12
03-31-2019, 08:27 AM
It's huge for is to get more guys into the NBA, especially as first rounders. Incoming class is so talented, plus Petrusev will be a top 15 big man in the country next year. Anton will be so good defensively from day one, let alone the rest of his talent.

zagsfanforlife
03-31-2019, 09:00 AM
It's huge for is to get more guys into the NBA, especially as first rounders. Incoming class is so talented, plus Petrusev will be a top 15 big man in the country next year. Anton will be so good defensively from day one, let alone the rest of his talent.

I am glad you brought up Petrusev. He was a forgotten man and at times think got the "larsen" treatment. However, if given the chance i agree with you. Not sure next year, but by his junior season, i would be surprised if he is NOT one of the better big men in the country. I truly think he will start next year despite the talented bigs coming in and will be a huge contributor next season.

With Ballo, Petrusev, Timme, Petrusev and Watson all practicing against each other, the improvement will be increased even further.

I want to know about Arlauskas. What is the latest on him? He is the least talked about recruit coming over, but from the video i have seen, he is one of the most likely to contribute right away. Zalgris is one of the better teams in Europe from what i have read and didn't the kid average 9 ppg for them? What am i missing? Seems like he could be a 7-10 ppg scorer from day one?

gonzagafan62
03-31-2019, 09:04 AM
Agreed, I was gonna post that, but I thought that it might be bit too soon. I see one or both getting the PMAC/Alberts/Arop/Morninghoff/Keita/Nunez/Villarino treatment.

Yup. They aren’t bad players, just guys who won’t play. Both are great kids though. I’m sure they’ve contributed in positive ways to our program. Just don’t know what yet

jazzdelmar
03-31-2019, 09:20 AM
We have decent bigs. What we need are guards who can hit at least two consecutive 3's. How often did any of our "shooters" hit more than 2 in a row from distance? The game has changed. Few has done a marvelous job with recruiting and developing high quality bigs, but a mediocre (at best) job with guards.

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2019, 09:33 AM
We have decent bigs. What we need are guards who can hit at least two consecutive 3's. How often did any of our "shooters" hit more than 2 in a row from distance? The game has changed. Few has done a marvelous job with recruiting and developing high quality bigs, but a mediocre (at best) job with guards.

Ravet is a cold blooded 3 point shooter in the mold of the UVA guys and Cline from Purdue.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2019, 09:43 AM
Ravet is a cold blooded 3 point shooter in the mold of the UVA guys and Cline from Purdue.

He'd better be....the less athletic the better. Just stick more than 2 in a row. I'm done w volume shooters.

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2019, 09:47 AM
He'd better be....the less athletic the better. Just stick more than 2 in a row. I'm done w volume shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdZS0XQMNa4

MontanaCoyote
03-31-2019, 09:56 AM
With so many new pieces/parts it sure will be interesting. That’s for sure! How well we’ll do? Open question.

Make the Dance is a reasonable expectation, but I don’t think we’ll be ruminatin’ on #1 seed stuff like this year. But that’s OK! We could use a little break from all that.

MDABE80
03-31-2019, 10:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdZS0XQMNa4

Weak………..a snippet or two from the lowest class HS basketball there is in WA St. Among the weakest posts to prove a point in quite some time. I hope he's good at the D1 level. HOPE is a good thing;)

Birddog
03-31-2019, 10:52 AM

Like this guy Jazz?
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26403077/edwards-28-3s-4-games-tournament-record

jazzdelmar
03-31-2019, 10:53 AM
Weak………..a snippet or two from the lowest class HS basketball there is in WA St. Among the weakest posts to prove a point in quite some time. I hope he's good at the D1 level. HOPE is a good thing;)

Actually, the kids in red look better than our putative savior.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2019, 10:55 AM
Like this guy Jazz?
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26403077/edwards-28-3s-4-games-tournament-record

Edwards is too much to wish for. Always expected a game like that from Chux, still waiting. I’d be happy w a Mooney.
Better, a couple of guards who shoot over 40% from three and are capable of hitting two in a row. Our three sharpshooters were all 37% from LD. And one needs 12 shots to get locked in. All the lottery bigs in the world don’t make up for that. Norvell took 100 more LDs than Kispert and 120 more than Josh, that’s crazy.

Ladyzag12
03-31-2019, 11:33 AM

I don't get the Brock Ravet hate. The kid was an animal on the UAA last summer. Averaged 41.5 percent from three on 8.5 attempts per game, mostly off the dribble. He is the best shooter we have had coming in in a good while.

bartruff1
03-31-2019, 11:46 AM
I can't imagine that Gonzaga will EVER have better point guards than they have had for the last 20 years....

SWZag
03-31-2019, 11:47 AM
I actually think our streak may end next season, but I love the unknown.

We haven't heard it for a while, but early in the run we continually heard that next year may be the end of the run. Hasn't happened yet.

gueastcoast
03-31-2019, 11:52 AM
I don't get the Brock Ravet hate. The kid was an animal on the UAA last summer. Averaged 41.5 percent from three on 8.5 attempts per game, mostly off the dribble. He is the best shooter we have had coming in in a good while.

I don't read Abe's comment as hating on Ravet, but rather that the "highlights" posted don't necessarily make the case (they didn't for me, either).

As always, I trust the staff. No staff bats 1.000, but they know what they're doing.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2019, 11:57 AM
Ravet is all we have. We better hope he’s ready. Joel and Foster probably leaving, Petro too, maybe. Getting recruited over a function of top 10 D1.

I am glad you brought up Petrusev. He was a forgotten man and at times think got the "larsen" treatment. However, if given the chance i agree with you. Not sure next year, but by his junior season, i would be surprised if he is NOT one of the better big men in the country. I truly think he will start next year despite the talented bigs coming in and will be a huge contributor next season.

With Ballo, Petrusev, Timme, Petrusev and Watson all practicing against each other, the improvement will be increased even further.

I want to know about Arlauskas. What is the latest on him? He is the least talked about recruit coming over, but from the video i have seen, he is one of the most likely to contribute right away. Zalgris is one of the better teams in Europe from what i have read and didn't the kid average 9 ppg for them? What am i missing? Seems like he could be a 7-10 ppg scorer from day one?

I don't read Abe's comment as hating on Ravet, but rather that the "highlights" posted don't necessarily make the case (they didn't for me, either).

As always, I trust the staff. No staff bats 1.000, but they know what they're doing.

SWZag
03-31-2019, 11:58 AM

Pendo came from Brewster; also 2B classification. Ravet has far higher High School accolades than Pendo, and Pendo is one of my all-time favorites.

Due to the volume of players at larger schools, there's a greater chance that a large school player doesn't have what it takes to make it to the D1 level. So to claim size of school is a reason someone won't make it at a D1 school is very short sighted. Guessing Ravet will have his naysayers like Perks does / did.

strikenowhere
03-31-2019, 12:10 PM
The future - as in two seasons from now - looks bright. Next year, not so much. Team is going to be very young and will come back down to earth. If there ever was a year for another WCC team to win the league, its 2019. Norvell, Kispert, Petrusev, & 2019 PG grad transfer are going to have to battle just to get to the tourney. Lots of experience for the new guys though but there are no 1-and-done type talents coming in.

2020 will have a year of xp for Ballo, Timme, Zakharov, Ravet, and Watson, plus the addition of Harris and hopefully Strawther and/or Suggs. 2020 is where the action will be.

White lightning
03-31-2019, 12:20 PM
Pendo came from Brewster; also 2B classification. Ravet has far higher High School accolades than Pendo, and Pendo is one of my all-time favorites.

Due to the volume of players at larger schools, there's a greater chance that a large school player doesn't have what it takes to make it to the D1 level. So to claim size of school is a reason someone won't make it at a D1 school is very short sighted. Guessing Ravet will have his naysayers like Perks does / did.Ravet is facing a major uphill battle at G.U. In some eyes he doesn't make grade being from a small high school. Even if he becomes a special player for Gonzaga, there will always the naysayers. He may not become the player we hope to see but it won't come from lack of effort. Good luck Brock you deserve to be here!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MDABE80
03-31-2019, 12:29 PM

Let's
not be putting word sin my mouth. No hate here.....none.....and I hope he excels. How often has a B guard stepped into a D1 position with a national power and done well?? Not one I know of. Sure Brock's got the numbers, but from the weakest classification in Wa St. I hope he's a killer and shoots 3 pointers all night long. Will he against longer athletic type kids?? I have my doubts Lady Zag. Everyone should have their doubts. lol... I can only imagine a 6 ft 4 quick athlete assigned to Brock. A speedy leaper.. Well you get the point ma'am.

TexasZagFan
03-31-2019, 12:37 PM
The future - as in two seasons from now - looks bright. Next year, not so much. Team is going to be very young and will come back down to earth. If there ever was a year for another WCC team to win the league, its 2019. Norvell, Kispert, Petrusev, & 2019 PG grad transfer are going to have to battle just to get to the tourney. Lots of experience for the new guys though but there are no 1-and-done type talents coming in.

2020 will have a year of xp for Ballo, Timme, Zakharov, Ravet, and Watson, plus the addition of Harris and hopefully Strawther and/or Suggs. 2020 is where the action will be.

You and I are both thousands of miles from Spokane. I rely on Board members in Spokane for my info.

I am very excited about the next era of Zags basketball that begins NOW.

I expect there will be significant ups and downs next season, but the ups will be much higher than the downs will be low. The 2019 class is our first ever top 10 recruiting class. Compare that to the vaunted class of 2016, that included Tillie, Norvell, Rui, and Zach Collins...a class that barely cracked the top 25 IIRC. That was our first recruiting class that made the top 25.

I expect Filip, Zach, and Corey to return next year, and provide the leadership in the early going. Spokane should be a favored location for a stud graduate transfer point guard, to fill the hole until Dominick Harris arrives in 2020.

It's asking too much to expect our conference winning streaks to continue, but we'll win the regular season. Too many horses in the Zag stable vs. the rest of the conference.

It will take the coaching staff well into conference play to get the rotations set...our OOC games will be a crap shoot.

It will be an exciting year, and set us up for a stellar 2020. I'm already looking forward to the road trip to College Station in December. A&M fans will certainly be expecting immediate success with their new head coach...where will their Brinks truck line up to sign their next coach?

Ladyzag12
03-31-2019, 12:46 PM

I just don't get the downers about next year. Obviously dont expect a sweet sixteen, but you are returning some major players from one of the best teams in the country, plus a monster recruiting class.

Jstock12
03-31-2019, 01:52 PM

That is not quite accurate. When Martynas was with the main Zalgiris team in 2017-18, he averaged 3 points in 11 minutes in the domestic league (LKL) in 10 games. And he only played 4 games in the Euroleague averaging 1 point in 3 minutes per game.

His averages for the Zalgiris-2 in the 2nd Lithuanian league were a bit better:
2017-18: 38 games, 5.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.7 apg in 19 mpg.

This season, he didn't show much of an improvement in terms of stats when playing for Zalgiris-2, but that's to be expected after an injury like that. I'd say as of this moment he definitely wouldn't be able to contribute much for the Zags right off the bat. He'll be a project. But I think he might end up being a solid player by his 2nd or 3rd year.

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2019, 01:55 PM

Wow, what a garbage post. Shame on you for trashing Brock like that. Disgraceful. :vomit-smiley-007:

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2019, 01:57 PM
Actually, the kids in red look better than our putative savior.

Really? Which one. Brock scored 42 and in the game and had like 8 three pointer’s which were shown in the clip. Which player to you looked better than Brock? You and Abe have taken every opportunity over the last two years to trash this kid and mercifully. Shame on both of you

MickMick
03-31-2019, 02:13 PM
I’m fairly confident in punching a ticket, but we are going to have to lower expectations once we get there.

I don’t think Ravet will match the level of freshman Pangos but Pangos set a high bar for a freshman facilitator and scorer.

Team will be good but not sweet sixteen good.

NEC26
03-31-2019, 02:19 PM
I’m fairly confident in punching a ticket, but we are going to have to lower expectations once we get there.

I don’t think Ravet will match the level of freshman Pangos but Pangos set a high bar for a freshman facilitator and scorer.

Team will be good but not sweet sixteen good.

This is what I expect as well. I also am not sure Brock will even be starting but who knows. I Imagine there will be a grad transfer coming.

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2019, 02:22 PM

How does showing him hitting a ton of 3 point shots not prove that he's a good three point shooter? I'm trying to understand your logic, or lack thereof.

tyra
03-31-2019, 02:36 PM
I am more excited about next year than any year I remember. NOT because I think we will be that good but. Because I think we are bringing in a boat load of incredible talent that we will get to watch grow. I think next year is — for us — very close to a rebuilding year and not a reloading year. This is going to be fun and we might even do very well. This is going to a lot of fun but in a different way than we are used to.

maynard g krebs
03-31-2019, 02:37 PM
I grew up near Philly in the glory years of the Big 5, when Penn, Nova and LaSalle all cracked the top 4 in the nation at least once, and Temple and St Joe's both got into the top 20. Coach K once said in a USA Today interview that in that era you could find about 7 quality guards every year in the Philly Catholic League; a lot of those guys stayed home and played in the Big 5, and usually in the late 60's-early 70's three of those teams were in the top 20.

Not long after I moved to Seattle, I saw a kid named Dickau play at UW in an exhibition v a traveling Russian team. I immediately bought a UW season ticket to watch Dan; he reminded me of those Philly guards. Huskies were so bad then the season ticket cost less than a hundred bucks. They would up making the sweet 16, and a Rip Hamilton falling-down buzzer beater from beating UCONN to get to the elite 8, w/ Dan playing a key role off the bench, incl being in at crunch time in all the late season big games.

Keep in mind that though Dan was ranked somewhere between 100-150 nationally, and 14th on the Long Beach Press-Telegram's best in the west, he said in an interview that a number of experts advised him to play at a mid major, because he wasn't big, strong, or athletic (paraphrasing) enough to compete on the high major level.

As I've mentioned before, I saw Brock play v Kentlake on MLK day. Kentlake isn't great, but they are 4a and play in the second best league (w/ about a .500 record) in Wa, behind only the Seattle Metro, and have a couple of very athletic 6-4 kids. It was close until about the mid 2nd quarter, but then Kittitas just demolished them, going up over 30 before garbage time.

There are certain pg's that just have a gift for playmaking; it's something you can't teach. I got really excited the first time I saw Dan play. I had the same feeling about Ravet. I realize some people in the know think he can't guard a chair. I don't know one way or the other about that, but I'm very confident in both his ability to score, and if you blanket him w/ the other team's best defender he'll make plays for others. On the offensive end, I believe he's fully capable of doing what Pangos did as a fr.

Given the elite talent coming in now, he might never be more than a bench player for the Zags'; I don't know. But I'm pretty sure he'll be at least a solid contributor. Some of the negativity here is disappointing.

ETA: IMO Brock's strongest attribute
isn't his shooting, it's his playmaking and decision making. He mad those other Kittitas kids look a lot better than they otherwise are.

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-31-2019, 02:40 PM
hey Texas Tech secured TWO grad transfers last season:

-- Tariq Owens (season: 9 ppg, 6 rpg, 2.5 bpg). 9 pts, 7 rebs, 3 blks vs Gonzaga....not to mention 2 blks on Rui in final 60 seconds.

-- Matt Mooney (season: 11 ppg, 3.5 apg, 40% 3pt). 17 pts, 5 asts, 3 steals vs Gonzaga...not to mention 4 or 5 drives to the hoops in last 5 mins of the game. Wayyyyy too much attn given to Culver.

Those TWO won the game for Texas Tech yesterday. They made key plays and key moments. If they can secure two grad transfers with this type of impact, why can't we? BTW, Matt Mooney considered Gonzaga. He was from South Dakota, Geno from North Dakota.

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2019, 02:43 PM
I grew up near Philly in the glory years of the Big 5, when Penn, Nova and LaSalle all cracked the top 4 in the nation at least once, and Temple and St Joe's both got into the top 20. Coach K once said in a USA Today interview that in that era you could find about 7 quality guards every year in the Philly Catholic League; a lot of those guys stayed home and played in the Big 5, and usually in the late 60's-early 70's three of those teams were in the top 20.

Not long after I moved to Seattle, I saw a kid named Dickau play at UW in an exhibition v a traveling Russian team. I immediately bought a UW season ticket to watch Dan; he reminded me of those Philly guards. Huskies were so bad then the season ticket cost less than a hundred bucks. They would up making the sweet 16, and a Rip Hamilton falling-down buzzer beater from beating UCONN to get to the elite 8, w/ Dan playing a key role off the bench, incl being in at crunch time in all the late season big games.

Keep in mind that though Dan was ranked somewhere between 100-150 nationally, and 14th on the Long Beach Press-Telegram's best in the west, he said in an interview that a number of experts advised him to play at a mid major, because he wasn't big, strong, or athletic (paraphrasing) enough to compete on the high major level.

As I've mentioned before, I saw Brock play v Kentlake on MLK day. Kentlake isn't great, but they are 4a and play in the second best league (w/ about a .500 record) in Wa, behind only the Seattle Metro, and have a couple of very athletic 6-4 kids. It was close until about the mid 2nd quarter, but then Kittitas just demolished them, going up over 30 before garbage time.

There are certain pg's that just have a gift for playmaking; it's something you can't teach. I got really excited the first time I saw Dan play. I had the same feeling about Ravet. I realize some people in the know think he can't guard a chair. I don't know one way or the other about that, but I'm very confident in both his ability to score, and if you blanket him w/ the other team's best defender he'll make plays for others. On the offensive end, I believe he's fully capable of doing what Pangos did as a fr.

It doesn’t matter, Abe and Jazz have already decided that he’s going to be a bust. You can give first hand accounts, show clip upon clip, but it doesn’t matter. The verdict is already in.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2019, 02:48 PM
It doesn’t matter, Abe and Jazz have already decided that he’s going to be a bust. You can give first hand accounts, show clip upon clip, but it doesn’t matter. The verdict is already in.

Spy. Never said that. Am I skeptical of his height, experience and D, yes. Am I hopeful, yes. If only because the cupboard is as bare as it’s ever been. Foster and Joel are misses, like the Mormon kid.

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-31-2019, 02:56 PM

listen, Ravet is going to be a great player....on offense. His touch and ability to find ways to score is next level. No reason he can't be our very own Matt Mooney or David Morretti (both are the reason Texas Tech won yesterday).

However, Brock is an awful defender. He gets burned at the 1A level every other play, he is usually the player on Kittitas who is picked on by opposing teams. He is their best player by a mile but the one singled out on defense. They try to get the one on one switch as Brock cannot defend. He defends as well if a chair was set on the court in front of the ballhandler. Its bad.

All that said, he is an elite shooter for his size/dimensions/athleticism. His step back is unguardable at the 3pt and mid range level. He understands angles, defense, and finding ways to create enough space to get his shot off, which goes in more than not. A very confident player, passer, and play maker. Will likely by a 13-15 ppg scorer by the time he is a Sophomore at GU. I project him as a very good, to excellent offensive player.

The hope should rest in his defense. Can they find a way to get him to move laterally faster? Anticipate the first step or dribble better? Can he read offensive players as well as defensive? Its going to take awhile, possibly years.

Pangos wasn't an elite defender, he wasn't as 'thick' as Brock, and had shorter arms, yet his instincts were superb. Far and away a better defender at the same stage.

Brock will be a weapon and asset on offense, but a liability on defense. We will need to find way to hide him, and implementing Texas Tech style could be worth it.

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-31-2019, 03:01 PM
Spy. Never said that. Am I skeptical of his height, experience and D, yes. Am I hopeful, yes. If only because the cupboard is as bare as it’s ever been. Foster and Joel are misses, like the Mormon kid.

Foster will never be a dynamic guard. He doesn't have the natural gift/touch/feel. His shooting touch is hard too. He is young, but basketball is one sport you can tell early on. I think he has hope IF they move him off the ball, add some muscle, and make him a slashing wing type. He is naturally athletic, bouncy, and ok handles. Its his best option imho.

I still have hope for Ayayi. Obviously not as a lead or PG, but as a dynamic shooting guard. With added strength and better, lower, more controlled handles, I see him being pretty unique with speed and the best floater on the team and since NWG (which was mentioned to me by a former player).

Joel just turned 19 this February. I think there is something to work with there, especially defensively. He has a 6'9" wingspan, which limits his handles, but helps him on defense. I hope we stick with him, but I agree, Foster might be a recruiting miss unless we work with him on switching positions.

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2019, 03:55 PM

Foster and Joel were nowhere near the level recruit that Brock was; GFJ averaged 7 ppg his senor year and his only other schollie offer was UTEP (his dads alma mater). Jesse, I'll give you.

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2019, 03:57 PM
listen, Ravet is going to be a great player....on offense. His touch and ability to find ways to score is next level. No reason he can't be our very own Matt Mooney or David Morretti (both are the reason Texas Tech won yesterday).

However, Brock is an awful defender. He gets burned at the 1A level every other play, he is usually the player on Kittitas who is picked on by opposing teams. He is their best player by a mile but the one singled out on defense. They try to get the one on one switch as Brock cannot defend. He defends as well if a chair was set on the court in front of the ballhandler. Its bad.

All that said, he is an elite shooter for his size/dimensions/athleticism. His step back is unguardable at the 3pt and mid range level. He understands angles, defense, and finding ways to create enough space to get his shot off, which goes in more than not. A very confident player, passer, and play maker. Will likely by a 13-15 ppg scorer by the time he is a Sophomore at GU. I project him as a very good, to excellent offensive player.

The hope should rest in his defense. Can they find a way to get him to move laterally faster? Anticipate the first step or dribble better? Can he read offensive players as well as defensive? Its going to take awhile, possibly years.

Pangos wasn't an elite defender, he wasn't as 'thick' as Brock, and had shorter arms, yet his instincts were superb. Far and away a better defender at the same stage.

Brock will be a weapon and asset on offense, but a liability on defense. We will need to find way to hide him, and implementing Texas Tech style could be worth it.

Interesting post. How do we maximize his offensive prowess while at the same time minimize his defensive liability?

DixieZag
03-31-2019, 04:29 PM
I find this entire thread rather amusing.

We have reached top 10 status in college basketball. One of the issues with being a top 10 type of team is massive overhaul year to year, and we're fortified by having our top recruiting class come in, some borderline 5 star talent.

Nowadays, not only does "borderline 5 star talent" get you into the tournament, it certainly wins the WCC (not that that is our goal at this point).

Depending on how the guys mesh with our returning players, I don't see any reason we can't be top 15 next year, and if we can get somebody hot from 3, we a game or two in the second week.

That seems to define life in the top dozen college basketball programs in the country. The days of getting to know kids over 4 years (maybe 5) are gone. We best enjoy them while they're here, bc we have 38 front court guys coming in, average 5.2 stars.

We're going to be very good.

Plus, I don't even know who the super secret grad transfers are, but I can be near certain that we are quite the attractive option to a PG that wants to play in the NCAAs.

vandalzag
03-31-2019, 05:23 PM

Do not give up on either. Both were brought on as end of the bench projects, knowing that playing time would be limited the first 2 years. Up to the player to put in the time and improve. If both stay it is good sign. If they seek greener pastures the plan did not work. Only so many minutes and the having starter level players at the end of of the bench are gone. I could see both being the glue type of kids that do the dirty work in limited minutes but set the tone for the team. Until Few sells his soul to the shoe companies he will still depend on developing the diamonds in the rough. Not an exact science there will be misses but if it works the payoff is huge.

zagsfanforlife
03-31-2019, 07:40 PM
That is not quite accurate. When Martynas was with the main Zalgiris team in 2017-18, he averaged 3 points in 11 minutes in the domestic league (LKL) in 10 games. And he only played 4 games in the Euroleague averaging 1 point in 3 minutes per game.

His averages for the Zalgiris-2 in the 2nd Lithuanian league were a bit better:
2017-18: 38 games, 5.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.7 apg in 19 mpg.

This season, he didn't show much of an improvement in terms of stats when playing for Zalgiris-2, but that's to be expected after an injury like that. I'd say as of this moment he definitely wouldn't be able to contribute much for the Zags right off the bat. He'll be a project. But I think he might end up being a solid player by his 2nd or 3rd year.

Sorry! I did dig deeper and noticed that. Thanks for clarifying. Disappointing that he MAY be a contributor by year 3... I’ve seen that story before.. they usually don’t make it there.

I do disagree w Jazz about Petro. I don’t think he’s being recruited over. I just think this year there was an embarrassment of riches in the front court. Nothing wrong w going two deep at each . None are 4 year kids doesn’t seem like anyways

zagsfanforlife
04-01-2019, 03:08 PM
https://watchstadium.com/news/these-are-the-best-college-basketball-players-transferring-this-offseason-04-01-2019/

Since this got moved to the whelping box for some reason-- here are the best transfers available. Who would you want to see? Of course there will be a lot of movement from now until the start of the season.

TheOtherGreatOne
04-01-2019, 03:35 PM
until they are officially gone, I look at it as Tillie, Clark, and Rui are all going to be on next years team. I also do not look for Ayaye and Foster to be here. I think coach will find a school for them to transfer to, where they can play. I think the program has passed players like them over, but coach has enough class that he will find them a place where they can play. I believe they would rather be somewhere they can get playing time rather than sitting on the bench here.

jazzdelmar
04-01-2019, 04:35 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190331/12060316c65d742f835a98df60277b5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is the other 5 star besides Timme?

gonzagafan62
04-01-2019, 04:40 PM
until they are officially gone, I look at it as Tillie, Clark, and Rui are all going to be on next years team. I also do not look for Ayaye and Foster to be here. I think coach will find a school for them to transfer to, where they can play. I think the program has passed players like them over, but coach has enough class that he will find them a place where they can play. I believe they would rather be somewhere they can get playing time rather than sitting on the bench here.

I lived through that with many players. Had hope with Sabonis and NWG too, never will again. Not to say someone can’t be back and that I wouldn’t be thrilled if it did happen... I would, but now I’m always “they’re gone till they officially say they’re back”

229SintoZag
04-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Who is the other 5 star besides Timme?

Zakharov

jazzdelmar
04-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Zakharov

Not according to my search just now. He’s a 4.

Goshzagit
04-01-2019, 06:13 PM

4 star by every recruiting service.

Very high on this kid's ceiling.

gonzagafan62
04-01-2019, 06:23 PM

Ballo

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/oumar-ballo-234806

LongIslandZagFan
04-01-2019, 07:30 PM
4... 5... don't really care... they are both top 50.

My biggest concern is lack of depth at PG... not just next year but with only Harris coming in so far, makes me a tad nervous.

hooter73
04-02-2019, 09:20 AM
Interesting post. How do we maximize his offensive prowess while at the same time minimize his defensive liability?

Anticipation (plus willingness and the balls) to take charges ala Pangos and Stockton.

bartruff1
04-02-2019, 09:47 AM
I keep hearing that success in the Tournament is all about guard play...