PDA

View Full Version : Bouldin's Status for Sunday?

zagster318
11-08-2007, 10:56 AM
:confused:

Rubbadub
11-08-2007, 10:58 AM
He sprained his ankle. He's probably been putting alot of ice on it and will be a gametime decision.

Baldwinzag
11-08-2007, 11:08 AM
“They said I did something to a ligament, but I’ll be all right,” Bouldin said. “I’ve got to keep the swelling down. I just have to get it healed up for Sunday.”
-SR

Bouldin (will have MRI on ankle today)
-Bobzag

It doesn't appear to be serious, possibly a mild ankle sprain, but we'll know soon enough. As Rub eluded to, his status will probably be evaluated day-to-day and ultimately be a 'Gametime' deicision. Heal quickly Matt.

JAGzag
11-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Wow, I hope he'll be alright, but the whole "biggest concern" of being thin at the PG spot sure hit early!!

Zagaholic
11-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I think I would prefer that Matt sit out the Montana game, and heal up before the other upcoming games. No sense in rushing back for an exhibition game and making the injury worse.

Rubbadub
11-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I see Matt playing unless it's pretty bad. He seems like a competitor. He's played with minor injuries before.

Baldwinzag
11-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Wow, I hope he'll be alright, but the whole "biggest concern" of being thin at the PG spot sure hit early!!!

Exactly. With the depth on this team, I almost forgot how thin we are at this position. I hope Bouldin's injury is not serious, as he IS the depth in our backcourt. Obviousely, Bouldin is tremendously valuable to the team, and not just for his Bball IQ, key assists, point production, etc. but for being our only, yes only experienced PG other than Jeremy. Some have mentioned Gray as a potential backup, and he'll definitely see some minutes there this yr, but Steven didn't even play PG in H.S. It will take at least a full season for him to acclimate/learn the position, yet may be receiving a crash course rather soon. A little too soon....we'll see. Bouldin suffered several ankle injuries throughout his HS career, yet continually found a way to play through them and play at a high level.

gonzagulous
11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
I think I would prefer that Matt sit out the Montana game, and heal up before the other upcoming games. No sense in rushing back for an exhibition game and making the injury worse.

Um, Montana is not an exhibition game.

As we saw in the first half versus Emporia, no win is guaranteed right now.... Here's hoping Matt will heal up by Sunday.

Reborn
11-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Baldwinzag says, " With the depth on this team, I almost forgot how thin we are at this position. I hope Bouldin's injury is not serious, as he IS the depth in our backcourt..."

I listened to the game last night, and Fox kept saying how impressed he was by the number of DIFFERENT zags who were very able to bring the ball up court, and did not have to rely on just one point guard to do so. I feel the same way about our team. We are a very good ball handling team, and had only 11 turnovers for the game which I believe for a first game is GREAT!!!. The stats are somewhat different then some fans' observation of seeing a "sloppy game with too many turnovers."

trizag
11-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Reborn, I loved you on the scout board and I love you here too.
Ive just gotta get me a pair of those rose colored glasses. :cool:

Baldwinzag
11-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Baldwinzag says, " With the depth on this team, I almost forgot how thin we are at this position. I hope Bouldin's injury is not serious, as he IS the depth in our backcourt..."

I listened to the game last night, and Fox kept saying how impressed he was by the number of DIFFERENT zags who were very able to bring the ball up court, and did not have to rely on just one point guard to do so.

I completely agree we can be versatile and certainly have several talented "ball-handlers" to bring the ball up the court. However, bringing the ball up the court is very different than being the PG of this team, especially a Gonzaga team.

Learning the offense in this offensive system is highly difficult from the PG position, and I have a feeling that Bouldin/Gray were the only players receiving reps outside of Pargo. Hence, my statement about Bouldin being our only backup at PG.

Stating we have several players who can bring the ball up the court is kinda like saying, "I'm sure Randy Moss can take snaps at center and he can throw a football pretty well, but do you want him running your team if Tom Brady goes down?" No way, you need a true QB with experience at the position, which is always the case. Without Bouldin, our PG position becomes woefully thin.

On the otherhand, there is no sense in worrying/even speculating as long as Pargo is healthy and a great chance Bouldin returns to action soon. My point was the surprise of our lack of depth at PG versus overall Team depth.

HRZag
11-08-2007, 02:35 PM
He has a great feel for the ball and would be a nightmare to defend.

Think Magic with speed.

BobZag
11-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Matt will play, barring something unforeseen. It's probably what he had during his senior year of high school. Results of the MRI today should be known fairly soon. He's a tough kid and no stranger to injuries.

Zagaholic
11-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Um, Montana is not an exhibition game.

As we saw in the first half versus Emporia, no win is guaranteed right now.... Here's hoping Matt will heal up by Sunday.

My bad, it's not an exhibition game. Regardless, my original point still stands. If it's anything worse than a minor ankle sprain, I'd prefer he sit this one out rather than make it worse. We should be able to win the Montana game with or without Bouldin if this team is as good as everybody seems to think it is. So why take the risk? If it's just a minor injury, then that's a different story. I just remember too many Zags in previous seasons who rushed back too early from an injury early in the season and it just ended up prolonging the recovery period (see Heytvelt, Josh; Knight, Errol, etc.)

Reborn
11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
I agree with BZ when he says that Matt is tough as nails. Heck he's a Zag!!!:D
I hear Matt saying that he wants to play and intends to. At this juncture I don't think he wants to sit out. Sitting out opens the door wider for the Freshman and even Ira Brown. The more the Freshman play the better they are going to get. Matt doesn't want to get into that area of being a "forgotten one." I look for him to play, and I have a good feeling that he's going to have a heck of a game against Montana. They are the kind of team that he will excell against. It's a game he can look very good in and get his confidence going again. I think more than anything, that's what Matt needs right now...just more confidence. I think his confidence was hurt some this summer.

Here's wishing Matt a great game on Sunday.

GonzagaGurl08
11-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Matt will play, barring something unforeseen. It's probably what he had during his senior year of high school. Results of the MRI today should be known fairly soon. He's a tough kid and no stranger to injuries.

I agree. My gaze went to the GU bench last night, and there is Matt with ice on his ankle, looking heck of POed/bored. He was also chewing a wad of gum, though it wasn't green

xjzico
11-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Hopefully all it will take for Bouldin is a good, tight, Steve DeLong tape job.

former1dog
11-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Hopefully all it will take for Bouldin is a good, tight, Steve DeLong tape job.

Steve still taping ankle's. I thought he gave it up?

xjzico
11-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Taping ankles, or training? Anyway he sure did a mean tape job.

ZagNative
11-08-2007, 04:02 PM
I agree. My gaze went to the GU bench last night, and there is Matt with ice on his ankle, looking heck of POed/bored. He was also chewing a wad of gum, though it wasn't green
:D Good eye, Gonzagurl!

former1dog
11-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Taping ankles, or training? Anyway he sure did a mean tape job.

Yep, Steve is/was a good trainer. I thought he gave up the training gig to concentrate on teaching, etc. though. I guess that doesn't mean he wouldn't do the occassional tape job though.

zagster318
11-08-2007, 08:20 PM

Does anyone know the results of the MRI yet?