PDA

View Full Version : "They force the opponent to defend them the entire shot clock."

Therunner
03-30-2019, 06:19 AM
How do we speed Texas Tech up? Several Tech fans & GU posters alike have mentioned they will likely slow it down and force Gonzaga into limited possessions; by runnning action at the end of shot clock i.e. a late 3pt shot, isolation drives to the hoop, motion offense until they get the switch they want, etc.

We are facing an elite defensive team that runs shot clock. Methodical. Slow tempo. Pack it in on defense. Sound familiar?

Think Butler or St Marys, but with more length, athleticism, & NBA talent.

We have struggled vs these type of teams in the past. This particular style seems to frustrate us, and we have given in to the tempo.

How we we counter and play at our preferred pace? On offense or defense.

willandi
03-30-2019, 06:23 AM
Get a lead and make them play catch-up.

willandi
03-30-2019, 06:31 AM
Get a lead and make them play catch-up.

That's the short answer.

SMC was able to slow the game down when almost every Zag had a bad night.

Contest their shots and limit their offensive boards, run the open floor, in halfcourt run the offense with crisp passes.

The bigs take it to them and/or pass out for open threes.

If they successfully slow the tempo and instead of scoring 88 the Zags score 80, it won't matter unless they can score more than 80, and if they are trying to limit possessions, that would be hard for them to do, and over their season average.

Reborn
03-30-2019, 07:08 AM
I'm looking for Few to have the boys press full-court the whole game or at least most of it. This will speed T-Tech up. It will force them into a style of plat that they don't like. THEY want to control the action and the pace. The press will put them into situations where they are not in control, instead the pesky Zags are. Everyone has talked about Florida State's bench. Our bench is better. We won't get tired.

Crash the offensive boards like we did against Florida St. Get put-backs and slam dunks. Slam dunk on these Red Raiders. Get the ball off the defensive boards and run, run, run. Get into our Transition Offensive and score, score, score.

And finally, show them who really is the number one team on defense.

That's how we win. We have the better coaches and players/

Go Zags!!!

jayray
03-30-2019, 07:09 AM
That's the short answer.

SMC was able to slow the game down when almost every Zag had a bad night.

Contest their shots and limit their offensive boards, run the open floor, in halfcourt run the offense with crisp passes.

The bigs take it to them and/or pass out for open threes.

If they successfully slow the tempo and instead of scoring 88 the Zags score 80, it won't matter unless they can score more than 80, and if they are trying to limit possessions, that would be hard for them to do, and over their season average.

In the Mich game they showed more action than St. Maryís. St Maryís stood around waiting on the shot clock to limit possessions. TT moved the ball and wasnít afraid to get something earlier in the shot clock because they have confidence in their defense. Hopefully Few presses some and GU can get some offense from a few steals. I donít think they will be as singularly focused on this slow down game as St. Maryís did in the Championship game.

jayray
03-30-2019, 07:11 AM
I'm looking for Few to have the boys press full-court the whole game or at least most of it. This will speed T-Tech up. It will force them into a style of plat that they don't like. THEY want to control the action and the pace. The press will put them into situations where they are not in control, instead the pesky Zags are. Everyone has talked about Florida State's bench. Our bench is better. We won't get tired.

Crash the offensive boards like we did against Florida St. Get put-backs and slam dunks. Slam dunk on these Red Raiders. Get the ball off the defensive boards and run, run, run. Get into our Transition Offensive and score, score, score.

Go Zags!!!

I would be surprised if Few presses more than a couple possessions. It would be nice if they did but history has shown this is unlikely.

Therunner
03-30-2019, 07:27 AM
I would be surprised if Few presses more than a couple possessions. It would be nice if they did but history has shown this is unlikely.

Agreed.

Not likely, yet unlike the SMC game I would like to see at least a few more 3/4 presses and attempted traps.

Although, our M2M defense has been pretty stellar as of late. Mainly due to Kipserts sudden revelation on the perimeter, Norvell becoming a lock down dribble drive stopper, and our rim protection.

The latter is something Michigan didn't have in their repertoire.

Not sure we can pull away from Texas Tech, as even when they play poorly, they are always in the game.

It will be a stressful game from tip to finish, we just have to find a way to consistently crack that defense....and keep their x factor Morretti from getting hot from deep. That is how they have buried good teams.

Culver will get his, just limit fouling him.

How the refs are calling charges will be huge, as Texas Tech draws a ton of them.

bartruff1
03-30-2019, 07:32 AM
A press is a risky business and can lead to easy baskets.....I don't think you can speed up a good team like TT....so I expect a score in the 60s....in fact, I expect …..if Gonzaga advances..... the remaining games will be in the 60s unless they play Kentucky or Auburn ….

I did not see the game but West Virginia beat them and scored 79 points and WV had a terrible season till the Conference Tournament ..

MileHigh
03-30-2019, 07:37 AM

Go Zags!!!

I dont recall any full court D this season. They do that 3/4 trap on occasion but I dont ever recall them picking up full court M2M or full court zone where you trap the inbounds

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2019, 07:39 AM
How do we speed Texas Tech up? Several Tech fans & GU posters alike have mentioned they will likely slow it down and force Gonzaga into limited possessions; by runnning action at the end of shot clock i.e. a late 3pt shot, isolation drives to the hoop, motion offense until they get the switch they want, etc.

We are facing an elite defensive team that runs shot clock. Methodical. Slow tempo. Pack it in on defense. Sound familiar?

Think Butler or St Marys, but with more length, athleticism, & NBA talent.

We have struggled vs these type of teams in the past. This particular style seems to frustrate us, and we have given in to the tempo.

How we we counter and play at our preferred pace? On offense or defense.

They have one NBA player on their team; Culver. Yes they are good but I don’t know if there is any other fan base that over hypes an opponent like we do.

NEC26
03-30-2019, 07:42 AM

Go Zags!!!

I believe this is the answer as well. They have struggled with this in the past and its a great way to speed them up. I really hope we see them pressing earlier than normal and using Geno and JJ liberally in this game.

Markburn1
03-30-2019, 07:48 AM
I dont recall any full court D this season. They do that 3/4 trap on occasion but I dont ever recall them picking up full court M2M or full court zone where you trap the inbounds

Correct. I suspect it's because the Zags have always been limited to two or three, at the most, shutdown defenders. As you know, full court man to man or a trapping full court 1-2-2 press requires a minimum of four athletic, talented defenders.

If Ayayi had progressed to his potential, Few may have integrated that defense into his scheme this year.

willandi
03-30-2019, 07:56 AM
They have one NBA player on their team; Culver. Yes they are good but I don’t know if there is any other fan base that over hypes an opponent like we do.

Fixed it for you.

I agree. There are some real doom and gloom folks here. It gets tiring.

Rather than realize what a great team this is, 2 first round picks (and maybe both lottery picks) plus Snax who might, if he comes back, be another first rounder, a point that has the second most wins EVER in college bball (right after Shem)and who is one of the best points in the college game, Tillie off the bench, another possible NBA bound player...and they wonder how the Zags will contain the other teams 1 possible NBA'er.

Therunner
03-30-2019, 07:57 AM
Texas Tech has blown everyone out since the beginning of February.

Their lone loss was vs WVU, who pressed them and their smaller guards into uncomfortable situations.

I don't think we will press much, if at all, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Texas Tech hasn't even been tested in Big 12 play or NCAA yet the one team who sped them up beat them.

willandi
03-30-2019, 08:18 AM

Their lone loss was vs WVU, who pressed them and their smaller guards into uncomfortable situations.

Texas Tech hasn't even been tested in Big 12 play or NCAA yet the one team who sped them up beat them.

Let's just forfeit and save ourselves the embarrassment.

Therunner
03-30-2019, 08:21 AM
Fixed it for you.

I agree. There are some real doom and gloom folks here. It gets tiring.

Rather than realize what a great team this is, 2 first round picks (and maybe both lottery picks) plus Snax who might, if he comes back, be another first rounder, a point that has the second most wins EVER in college bball (right after Shem)and who is one of the best points in the college game, Tillie off the bench, another possible NBA bound player...and they wonder how the Zags will contain the other teams 1 possible NBA'er.

Interesting post.

Essentially, you are saying those who differ from your unique point of view or feelings are "doom and gloom" and/or negative.

That is a double standard, and unfair to generalize other inputs or perspectives as negative.

Is Coach Few "doom and gloom" for recently staying, "This is going to be a tough game. This will not be a high scoring affair. We know it will take our very best to win. Their motion offense is hard to defend and finding a way to attack their defense is a real challenge. I believe they are ranked #1 in the nation."

It's called sharing a valid concern. They are fans just like you and some of these posts offer different insight, in some ways, sound very much like a Coach building up an opponent.

Are they negative as well? Would you rather them say, "Hey, listen, we got this, we have 3 NBA talents compared to their 1. Our offense is amazing, have you seen it? Sure, it will be a tough game, but I just have a great feeling about our team and know they are going to get it done! I believe!"

That is hyperbolic yet see what I mean.

Ever played sports or been coached at a high level? Perhaps the military? There is facing challenges before being built up again, understanding the risks before the rewards, etc. Coaches use very similar "tactics" as some fans do.

There is a method behind the madness of many of these same posters you call negative or 'doom and gloom'.

The funny thing is, some of the most real analysis is what you don't want to hear. And many feel this way as well as purely pumping BS or sunshine isn't always the most transparent, or understanding.

We all support the team in our own ways. It's the reason "discussion" exists. This board is about sharing -- concerns, successes, failures, triumphs, ups, downs, feelings, analysis, etc.

Multiple styles and viewpoints is what makes thing interesting and how we learn best. Life is the same. What if you neber had a failure, or issues to work through? How would you grow as a person, get better, try harder, etc.

Same idea can be said about this message board.

Realist, pessimist, optimistic, whatever you wish to label it, is fine, but it's important for "real" conversation and understanding.

I appreciate both sides and learn something from different viewpoints. Understand new perspectives allows me to gain deeper or expanded knowledge about our team or an opponent.

In depth discussions or disagreements allows for deeper connection long term.

LTownZag
03-30-2019, 08:22 AM

Does blowing everyone out include a 7pt game against ISU (tied with 4 minutes left) and an OT game (at home) against Oklahoma state (#84 in Kenpom)?

If either of those is a blowout, what term do you use to describe Gonzaga's conference games?

willandi
03-30-2019, 08:27 AM
Interesting post.

Essentially, you are saying those who differ from your unique point of view or feelings are "doom and gloom" and/or negative.

That is a double standard, and unfair to generalize other inputs or perspectives as negative.

Is Coach Few "doom and gloom" for recently staying, "This is going to be a tough game. This will not be a high scoring affair. We know it will take our very best to win. Their motion offense is hard to defend and finding a way to attack their defense is a real challenge. I believe they are ranked #1 in the nation."

It's called sharing a valid concern. They are fans just like you and some of these posts offer different insight, in some ways, sound very much like a Coach building up an opponent.

Are they negative as well? Would you rather them say, "Hey, listen, we got this, we have 3 NBA talents compared to their 1. Our offense is amazing, have you seen it? Sure, it will be a tough game, but I just have a great feeling about our team and know they are going to get it done! I believe!"

Ever played sports or been coached at a high level? Perhaps the military? There is facing challenges before being built up again, understanding the risks before the rewards, etc. Coaches use very similar "tactics" as some fans do.

There is a method behind the madness of many of these same posters you call negative or 'doom and gloom'.

The funny thing is, some of the most real analysis is what you don't want to hear. And many feel this way as well as purely pumping BS or sunshine isn't always the most transparent, or understanding.

We all support the team in our own ways. It's the reason "discussion" exists. This board is about sharing -- concerns, successes, failures, triumphs, ups, downs, feelings, analysis, etc.

Multiple styles and viewpoints is what makes thing interesting and how we learn best. Life is the same. What if you neber had a failure, or issues to work through? How would you grow as a person, get better, try harder, etc.

Realist, pessimist, optimistic, whatever you wish to label it, is fine, but it's important for "real" conversation and understanding.

I appreciate both sides and learn something from different viewpoints. Understand new perspectives allows me to gain deeper or expanded knowledge about our team or an opponent.

No. But there are several posters that question whether or not the Zags can win, every game, and it gets really old.

I thought this was a Zag forum, not one to extol the virtues of the other teams.

Therunner
03-30-2019, 08:27 AM

Let's just forfeit and save ourselves the embarrassment.

Case in point. Your response is generalizing my own real observation. You dismissed my post as negative when, in fact, I was replying to the idea of pressing.

The one team who beat Tech since Feb 4th was a team who pressed them.

Now, this isn't saying we won't beat them as you assumed I was saying, rather a fact simply posted.

This doesn't effect us consider we rarely press, yet the one team who successfully sped them up, beat them.

You could infer this is important for us to find a way as well.

Hardly doom and gloom, but rather another viewpoint which expanded the original topic.

Again, possibly uncomfortable for you to hear they have blown opponents out and that we don't press, but it's the truth.

Doesn't mean we won't win, no one said that, but just an interesting factoid about Texas Tech last loss.

willandi
03-30-2019, 08:30 AM
Case in point. Your response is generalizing my own real observation. You dismissed my post as negative when, in fact, I was replying to the idea of pressing.

The one team who beat Tech since Feb 4th was a team who pressed them.

Now, this isn't saying we won't best them as you assumed I as saying, rather a fact simply posted.

This doesn't effect us consider we rarely press, yet the one team who successfully sped them up, beat them.

You could infer this is important for us to find a way as well.

Hardly doom and gloom, but rather another viewpoint which expanded the original topic.

Again, possibly uncomfortable for you to hear they have blown opponents out and that we don't press, but it's the truth.

Doesn't mean we won't win, no one said that, but just an interesting factoid about Texas Tech last loss.

I gave you my original response at the top, twice.
Others have responded and you again are telling us how good TT is.
Could TT beat the Zags? Of course. I would rather be positive than dwell on how good the other team is.

If it isn't doom and gloom, why are you being defensive?

NEC26
03-30-2019, 08:32 AM
I think TT is a very tough opponent but I get Willandi's point. But more so for FSU. I was confident we would beat that team but the hand wringing (over FSU) on this site got a little old.

Therunner
03-30-2019, 08:35 AM
I gave you my original response at the top, twice.
Others have responded and you again are telling us how good TT is.
Could TT beat the Zags? Of course. I would rather be positive than dwell on how good the other team is.

If it isn't doom and gloom, why are you being defensive?

My point is simple: I appreciate your input as much as I appreciate Jazz's.

Just different is all, and I truly learn something new from each of you all the time.

My own perspective expands, evolves, & entertains.

It's not right or wrong, just different. Balance is important and it's a reason I visit this board every day.

NEC26
03-30-2019, 08:35 AM
I actually think TT is a more difficult opponent. Their defense is unorthodox and we are playing on short notice plus they have a player that is better than anyone on FSU by a mile.
An extremely good defense paired with an elite player can be a lethal combo. I do hope we press them and make them uncomfortable and the one other thing I think is important is not allowing their guards to hit threes. If we limit that I think we win.

LTownZag
03-30-2019, 08:40 AM
I don't even care about handwringing or gloomy hunches and mood affiliations, I just object to posting factually incorrect information as supposed evidence for your opinion. Often when this is pointed out, the poster will confabulate a way to double down or move the goalposts or claim that the corrected information is a personal attack or a matter of differing opinions.

TheRunner partially supported his view by stating: "Texas Tech has blown everyone out since the beginning of February. Their lone loss was vs WVU, who pressed them and their smaller guards into uncomfortable situations. "

TTech lost once in early Feb (I assume he's starting this evaluation period after that game)

In addition to late March WVU loss, they were recently taken to OT at home by the #84 team, and had a 7 point game (tied with 4min left) to Iowa State.

In that 7 point ISU game, Tech took their 2nd most 3 pointers all year, made 43% of them (vs 36% average) and also shot 100% from the foul stripe.

willandi
03-30-2019, 08:42 AM
My point is simple: I appreciate your input as much as I appreciate Jazz's.

Just different is all, and I truly learn something new from each of you all the time.

My own perspective expands, evolves, & entertains.

It's not right or wrong, just different. Balance is important and it's a reason I visit this board every day.

Please answer this for me.

What does Gonzaga have to do to beat Texas Tech?

That, to me, is more pertinent than what Texas Tech does, or doesn't do. It may just be a different way of phrasing what you are saying, but one just seems to be a more positive viewpoint...and of course, being me, it's mine! LOL

DixieZag
03-30-2019, 08:46 AM
Interesting post.

Great post.

Because IIRC he is the first one to get angry if someone shuts down his opinion on something, yet people who do nothing more than note how good Texas Tech is (no one here is saying we can't beat them), it is attacked as being "doom and gloom" or something against the Zags.

The Zags could have Steph Curry, Lebron, Harden, etc etc, and it wouldn't change the fact that Texas Tech is an excellent team, one that is playing with total confidence, clicking on all cylinders, blowing everyone out.

It might be that they haven't faced a good opponent, Michigan sure didn't look good. But, TT is loaded and playing very well.

john montana
03-30-2019, 08:59 AM

We havenít full court pressed all year. We run that little 1-2-1-1 3/4 court trap and that is it. I expect we will run that so we donít have to sit in man the entire shot clock, but I wouldnít expect us to suddenly turn into VCU or AR and give em 40 minutes of havoc and hell.

NEC26
03-30-2019, 09:02 AM
I never thought we would turn into VCU but I would like to see us run our press earlier and see what it does. Just because it isn't a full court press doesn't mean it can't hurry up their guards and maybe turn them over.

Markburn1
03-30-2019, 09:28 AM
I never thought we would turn into VCU but I would like to see us run our press earlier and see what it does. Just because it isn't a full court press doesn't mean it can't hurry up their guards and maybe turn them over.

The press the Zags use doesn't really speed up the game much. In fact, it's not really designed to create a lot of turnovers. What it really does is take time off the shot clock so the opposition has less time in their offensive sets. Actually counterproductive to what you and others are hoping to accomplish.

MickMick
03-30-2019, 09:31 AM
GU is going to do what got them here. So will Tech.

Basketball is about imposing your will. To drastically change tactics, to do things you are not accustomed to, is a form of allowing the opponent to impose its will before the ball is even tipped.

Perhaps it is Tech that must make the drastic adjustments.

soccerdud
03-30-2019, 09:35 AM
Please answer this for me.

What does Gonzaga have to do to beat Texas Tech?

That, to me, is more pertinent than what Texas Tech does, or doesn't do. It may just be a different way of phrasing what you are saying, but one just seems to be a more positive viewpoint...and of course, being me, it's mine! LOL

lol, jeez... what is this? twisted jeopardy where all posts must be made in form of "the zags..."? you're being aggressively ridiculous, and that means something coming from me.

i bet even spy is facepalming somewhere.

NEC26
03-30-2019, 09:45 AM
The press the Zags use doesn't really speed up the game much. In fact, it's not really designed to create a lot of turnovers. What it really does is take time off the shot clock so the opposition has less time in their offensive sets. Actually counterproductive to what you and others are hoping to accomplish.

I specifically said speed up their guards. It has absolutely created some turnovers as well. Not like WV but it does create turnovers. I'm not talking vastly changing how we play the game but I would like to see us try out our press earlier and see what effect it has on their guards.
This isn't changing who we are its simple game planning for an opponent that has struggled against the press.

MJ777
03-30-2019, 09:48 AM
Somebody queue up Bluto (Belushi). Some of these threads seem to turn into something similar to an episode of The Housewives of (insert City here). Let’s Go BiAtches! Beat the Red Raiders!!!

Markburn1
03-30-2019, 10:03 AM
I specifically said speed up their guards. It has absolutely created some turnovers as well. Not like WV but it does create turnovers. I'm not talking vastly changing how we play the game but I would like to see us try out our press earlier and see what effect it has on their guards.
This isn't changing who we are its simple game planning for an opponent that has struggled against the press.

Disagree. Zags are #137 in the country in TO's per defensive possession. And that is mostly against guards that are not near the caliber they are facing in the tourney. Most of those turnovers come in half court sets. Again, the press they employ isn't designed to do what you are hoping for.

And, you are basing TT as being susceptible to a press on one game. If they were that unstable against a press they would have run into that scenario multiple times over the course of this season.

I love harassing presses that create chaos. Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell was one of my all time favorite teams. Few has never really employed that type of press.

First game against WVU...13 Turnovers and a W.

Two games against Texas and Shaka Smart's pressure. 9 TO's each game and two W's.

jim77
03-30-2019, 10:12 AM
TT has a great defense...but GU has a great OFFENSE....Lets make this our scorers versus theirs...I like our chances. We can D too. Just hope they dont play like Auburn did...UNREAL.

Goshzagit
03-30-2019, 10:19 AM
TT has a great defense...but GU has a great OFFENSE....Lets make this our scorers versus theirs...I like our chances. We can D too. Just hope they dont play like Auburn did...UNREAL.

That was amazing, wasn't it?! This is the Tournament and anything can happen. That is the craziness...err...madness of it. As we've seen with the best teams barely winning, or losing, or playing differently. You can often throw seeds, metrics, ranking, etc out the window this time of year. Just play and try to win.

NEC26
03-30-2019, 10:22 AM
Disagree. Zags are #137 in the country in TO's per defensive possession. And that is mostly against guards that are not near the caliber they are facing in the tourney. Most of those turnovers come in half court sets. Again, the press they employ isn't designed to do what you are hoping for.

And, you are basing TT as being susceptible to a press on one game. If they were that unstable against a press they would have run into that scenario multiple times over the course of this season.

I love harassing presses that create chaos. Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell was one of my all time favorite teams. Few has never really employed that type of press.

First game against WVU...13 Turnovers and a W.

Two games against Texas and Shaka Smart's pressure. 9 TO's each game and two W's.

I just watched the Zag press cause turnovers in their last game against FSU. I also saw it against Baylor and FDU. It causes turnovers. We use it every game. TT has had trouble with the press in the past. I simply would like to use it sooner to see if it causes their guards problems.
This isn't some major change or wild haired idea. Not sure why we are arguing over whether or not to use a press we have used all year in every game a little bit earlier.
Pretty sure few isn't checking this message boards for ideas either but whatever happens I'll be cheering them on.

MJ777
03-30-2019, 10:23 AM
That was amazing, wasn't it?! This is the Tournament and anything can happen. That is the craziness...err...madness of it. As we've seen with the best teams barely winning, or losing, or playing differently. You can often throw seeds, metrics, ranking, etc out the window this time of year. Just play and try to win.

GU must guard the 3 pt line hard to minimize damage from there. Don’t let them get comfortable out there. Don’t get Curried.

Goshzagit
03-30-2019, 10:28 AM
I don't even care about handwringing or gloomy hunches and mood affiliations, I just object to posting factually incorrect information as supposed evidence for your opinion. Often when this is pointed out, the poster will confabulate a way to double down or move the goalposts or claim that the corrected information is a personal attack or a matter of differing opinions.

TheRunner partially supported his view by stating: "Texas Tech has blown everyone out since the beginning of February. Their lone loss was vs WVU, who pressed them and their smaller guards into uncomfortable situations. "

TTech lost once in early Feb (I assume he's starting this evaluation period after that game)

In addition to late March WVU loss, they were recently taken to OT at home by the #84 team, and had a 7 point game (tied with 4min left) to Iowa State.

In that 7 point ISU game, Tech took their 2nd most 3 pointers all year, made 43% of them (vs 36% average) and also shot 100% from the foul stripe.

You have proven to be the one poster who is all about collective "averages", yet simply go against the grain to clearly support your own "view" here. Interesting how it works both ways.

Once again, you have literally picked one word from a post and went off with #'s and stats to support your singular viewpoint as well.

How about applying your own consistent method and take it at face value? The comment was "Texas Tech have been blowing everyone out since Feb 4th with their lone loss to WVU".

Since February 4th, Texas Tech has won by an average of 20 ppg in Big 12 & NCAA Tourney play. Not including the one loss to WVU which was spelled out.

+20 ppg winning margin is "blowing out everyone" in my book.

Your stats-metric filled posts are very interesting/intriguing and add a ton to this board, yet your cherry picking of others has become overboard.

WallaWallaZag
03-30-2019, 10:49 AM
if TT shoots like auburn did from three it really won't matter what the zags do...unless the zags are just as hot from deep...

LTownZag
03-30-2019, 10:56 AM
"Everyone" does not mean "some". That was my point. My one and only objection.

Tech went 2 and 4 during a 6 game stretch mid conference.

If you start counting after that 4th loss, so on Feb 4th, they ended the season going 9-1, with 2 of the wins in very close games. They blew out 7 teams out of 10.

The other 3 games were a loss, and OT, and a close win.

If a participant on the Texas Tech forum was trying to spread information about Gonzaga and wrote that GU had blown out everyone all season, I would think and hope that the claim would be corrected as well. If we're trying to learn about the teams and the games, why not prefer to learn the truth?

Therunner
03-30-2019, 10:58 AM
if TT shoots like auburn did from three it really won't matter what the zags do...unless the zags are just as hot from deep...

They are certainly capable.

Texas Tech has elite level shooters unlike Baylor or FSU. The both feature solid yet average shooters overall.

Tech guards' shooting stats:

-- David Moretti (46% 3pt shooter, 145 attempts)
-- Matt Mooney (39% 3pt shooter, 109 attempts)
-- Kyle Edwards - backup PG (43% 3pt shooter, 61 attempts)

Both Brandone Francis and Jarrett Culver shoot 3's, yet they are more wing oriented players for them, both 6'5"-6'6'. They both shoot in the low 30%'s from deep.

As a team they shoot 37% from 3pt, which a tad better than ours at 36%.

Zags11
03-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Nothing like fans telling other fans how to be fans.

Markburn1
03-30-2019, 11:57 AM
I just watched the Zag press cause turnovers in their last game against FSU. I also saw it against Baylor and FDU. It causes turnovers. We use it every game. TT has had trouble with the press in the past. I simply would like to use it sooner to see if it causes their guards problems.
This isn't some major change or wild haired idea. Not sure why we are arguing over whether or not to use a press we have used all year in every game a little bit earlier.
Pretty sure few isn't checking this message boards for ideas either but whatever happens I'll be cheering them on.

I saw something different. Koumadje and Gray had 7 of FSU's turnovers, all in half court sets. Crandall and Perkins had 5 steals between them and from memory, at least four of those were in half court sets including Perkins at the end of the first half. That accounts for at least ten of FSU's fourteen turnovers. Baylor had ten turnovers the entire game.

We'll have to disagree on the Zags press creating turnovers.

Just for the record, I hope the Zags press DOES create turnovers at a high rate today.

NEC26
03-30-2019, 12:02 PM
I saw something different. Koumadje and Gray had 7 of FSU's turnovers, all in half court sets. Crandall and Perkins had 5 steals between them and from memory, at least four of those were in half court sets including Perkins at the end of the first half. That accounts for at least ten of FSU's fourteen turnovers. Baylor had ten turnovers the entire game.

We'll have to disagree on the Zags press creating turnovers.

Off the top of my head I remember at least one Crandal steal from our press and I believe it was two. Regardless, it has caused turnovers even if it isn't the full court high energy press of some teams.
Whatever, I'm done arguing about it. I'll be interested to see Fews strategy and GO ZAGS!

jpn17
03-30-2019, 12:53 PM
They have one NBA player on their team; Culver. Yes they are good but I donít know if there is any other fan base that over hypes an opponent like we do.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

Markburn1
03-30-2019, 01:10 PM
They have one NBA player on their team; Culver. Yes they are good but I donít know if there is any other fan base that over hypes an opponent like we do.

Maybe not a bad thing. Most coaches do it.

Here's the latest.
" Michigan State coach Tom Izzo did a good job of hyping up LSU prior to Friday night's East Regional semifinal. He suggested the Tigers were more talented and more athletic than the Spartans, even exhibiting some of the same characteristics of early-2000s Michigan State teams."

Good company.

MJ777
03-30-2019, 01:33 PM

I thought you picked FSU to win.

spike_jr
03-30-2019, 01:57 PM
GU must guard the 3 pt line hard to minimize damage from there. Don’t let them get comfortable out there. Don’t get Curried.

I would agree Triple 7. Try to limit/contain Culver as best as possible, but not at the expense of 3 point defense. I don't think one hot hand, Culver, would be enough to beat us, but if you let another player or 2 get hot from deep, then it gets a whole lot more difficult.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-30-2019, 02:04 PM
About Gonzaga: “They force you to defend every player everywhere on the floor. They attack you in waves.”

raise the zag
03-30-2019, 02:14 PM
I would agree Triple 7. Try to limit/contain Culver as best as possible, but not at the expense of 3 point defense. I don't think one hot hand, Culver, would be enough to beat us, but if you let another player or 2 get hot from deep, then it gets a whole lot more difficult.

Great succinct post. Couldn't agree more...