PDA

View Full Version : Zags Defense Ranking

LTownZag
03-29-2019, 02:00 PM
GU has played 36 games so far, so it was easy to do some math dividing the season into 3rds (12 games each).

First third took us through Dec 20- Our defense gave up 96.9 points per 100 possessions (adjusted for opponents, via Kenpom) - good enough for 60th nationally.

The middle third (12-21 to Feb 8) gave up 90.9 points per 100 possessions - which would rank 11th nationally.

In the final 12 games ( Feb 9-Now) we have given up an opponent adjusted 86.7 points per 100 possessions. That number for the year would be 3rd behind just Texas Tech and Michigan.

Since our lost to Tennessee (combine the 2nd and 3rd segments), this has been a top-6 defense, and it has gotten better recently.

Go Zags!

FuManShoes
03-29-2019, 02:09 PM
That's some sweet analysis. Thanks! And I wonder how TT's offense has been trending if broken up similarly.

DixieZag
03-29-2019, 02:09 PM
With Tillie going full throttle, we might be the best team in the country.

gonzagafan62
03-29-2019, 02:10 PM
This is what I was trying to say in another thread. Everyone wants to talk about TTUs defense (and rightfully so) but ours is just as good, believe me. And our offense is better. Zags are right there. Time to play some more great defense

Zagceo
03-29-2019, 02:25 PM

Tillie Tough... i’m On board this train.

GonzaGAW
03-29-2019, 02:36 PM
- these numbers do not surprise me, given how well they have played recently.
- the rebounding, once a weakness is a strength, they out rebounded both Baylor and fsu.

- lets give credit to the coaches, and to the players for their hard work.

sittingon50
03-29-2019, 03:51 PM
-

This!!

CDC84
03-29-2019, 03:59 PM
So much of GU's NCAA tournament success over the past 5 years really correlates with the program's commitment to changing the defensive culture.

gonzagafan62
03-29-2019, 07:07 PM
So much of GU's NCAA tournament success over the past 5 years really correlates with the program's commitment to changing the defensive culture.

Yup no question about it. All started with that 2013 team. I know that team gave us a bad taste in our mouths to end that season, but that team showed we could play both sides of the court. Something we didn’t see at all the prior years..

kdaleb
03-29-2019, 10:24 PM

I heard Few on ESPN today and he said that the coaches challenged the team on their defense earlier this year - said that Final Four teams have defenses in the top 15 and challenged them to get the defense there. And boy have they. The difference in effort and discipline on that end of the floor is clear to see.

ZagMan in Philly
03-30-2019, 06:31 AM

:cheers: No Doubt.
They are as good as the Nova Team last year. This time last year, Nova took out T.Tech by 12 in the Elite 8 game (1 seed vs 3 seed)

Therunner
03-30-2019, 07:00 AM
:cheers: No Doubt.
They are as good as the Nova Team last year. This time last year, Nova took out T.Tech by 12 in the Elite 8 game (1 seed vs 3 seed)

Nova struggled mightily vs their defense. Scoring was a major issue.

Villanova shot 33% FG for the game.

Here is how they beat Tech:

-- they out rebounded Tech by 17

-- they shot 35 FT's, & made 30 of them (Tech shot 18)

-- they collected 20 offensive rebounds

I remember that game well. Nova was out of rhythm offensively, and really couldn't buy an open shot...or make them. They used their offensive firepower to draw fouls at a high clip, and felt like they rebounded like crazy. They nearly doubled them up on the glass and FT's.

I feel we will need to do the same. Control rebounding. No matter how tough their defense is, we can still control the glass. And draw fouls, Texas Tech takes a ton of risks with being handsy, and drawing charges. It doesn't always go in their favor (depends how the refs are calling it). Expect a ton of Tech players to fall down off Rui, Tillie, and Clarke moves. Hope we are the beneficiary today. Villanova was. Nearly half of Nova's points came at charity stripe.