PDA

View Full Version : TSN Preview: West Region Elite 8 Match-up: (3) Texas Tech vs. (1) Gonzaga

CDC84
03-29-2019, 12:21 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/gonzaga-vs-texas-tech-picks-predictions-for-march-madness-elite-eight-matchup/fhsnoaoe0o7v1au6r90gzlufj

Gonzaga wins if …
If it can reprise its defensive effort from Thursday night against Florida State. The Seminoles shot only 39.3 percent from the field and connected just three times in 20 tries from 3-point range. The Raiders do not want to get pushed into a 3-point game. They do not fire often from deep, and in their losses shot 28 percent on 3-pointers and never made more than a half-dozen. Gonzaga has the ability to seal off the rim with its length and height. Few used an oversized front line of Clarke, Hachimura and 6-10 Killian Tillie at times against Florida State in the Sweet 16, and Clarke and Hachimura are so dynamic they don’t lose any spark in that alignment. The Zags also got nice minutes out of 6-7 senior Jeremy Jones. Gonzaga cannot afford, though, to wobble as it did inside the final 10 minutes of the FSU game. Were it not for an enormous 3-pointer from wing Zach Norvell with 3:02 left — which broke a stretch of more than 5 minutes with only a single Gonzaga basket — this team might not have survived into the weekend.

Texas Tech wins if …
It can destroy the Gonzaga attack in the same way it did Michigan’s in the regional semis. The Raiders allowed the Wolverines only a single, meaningless 3-pointer, wrecking them at the point of attack. All-Big Ten point guard Zavier Simpson did not make a basket. They will aim the same intensity at Josh Perkins, who has the advantage of being taller and thus perhaps better able to deal with the type of pressure Tech applies. Perkins, though, never has been a dynamic ball-handler and is not the type of jet-quick point who can flash by defenders. The Raiders have an elite shot-blocker in Owens, who should be able to help keep Hachimura and particularly Clarke away from the rim. But Tech will have to find a way to score enough to keep pace with the nation’s No. 1 offense, even if that attack is muted by the Raiders’ defense.

Elite Eight pick: Gonzaga
It may not be pretty. Gonzaga will want to play a more open game, but teams that constrict the pace tend to get their way on that by clogging the lane and making it difficult to run fluid offense, thus forcing opponents into consuming more of the shot clock in search of quality shots. But there are so many more weapons available to the Zags. For Tech to advance, it would be necessary for one or more players to perform above their norm at the offensive end. The Zags only have to come close to their standard.

DixieZag
03-29-2019, 12:33 PM
I am concerned about them wearing Josh down.

Last night, Few used the whole team to help get the ball up, same thing tomorrow: Corey, Rui and Brandon back to help, all can handle the ball.

We can't have them wearing Josh down toward the end again. Just make it team ball getting it up the floor, and use a lot of passing to move it.

Hoopaholic
03-29-2019, 01:24 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/gonzaga-vs-texas-tech-picks-predictions-for-march-madness-elite-eight-matchup/fhsnoaoe0o7v1au6r90gzlufj

cannot wait to see how owens guards Rui, Clarke and Tille all at the same time.......

if anyone could wear down Josh it would have been FSU......instead you saw an invigorating Perkins the final 4 minutes to carry and will the team to victory

rawkmandale
03-29-2019, 01:29 PM
I am concerned about them wearing Josh down.

Last night, Few used the whole team to help get the ball up, same thing tomorrow: Corey, Rui and Brandon back to help, all can handle the ball.

We can't have them wearing Josh down toward the end again. Just make it team ball getting it up the floor, and use a lot of passing to move it.

Agreed. I hope Crandall gets another chance following his back-to-back turnovers last night. Geno really helps us on defense, and if he can avoid the turnovers, is another good option to give Perk a break.

CDC84
03-29-2019, 01:59 PM
cannot wait to see how owens guards Rui, Clarke and Tille all at the same time.......

if anyone could wear down Josh it would have been FSU......instead you saw an invigorating Perkins the final 4 minutes to carry and will the team to victory

I personally feel what aided Josh's freshness near the end is what was said above.....having other people bring the ball up. This is a smart tactic. Especially when FSU resorted to pressing. I mentioned this in another thread. When GU had to play Ohio State some years back in the 2nd round, and Pangos was locked up in a show down with Aaron Craft (one of the greatest on ball defenders college ball has seen in the past 25 years), Few just had Gary Bell bring the ball up the entire game. It was just to take some of the heat off of Pangos. Once they got to half court, Gary handed the ball to Pangos, and GU initiated their offense. Ultimately, GU lost to OSU because the Buckeyes were just a better team, but they didn't disintegrate due to Craft's defense.

I expert a lot of what we saw in the FSU game to be employed in this game. Why not? Most scoring doesn't happen 60 feet from the hoop anyway.

It is true, though, that Josh doesn't have the best handle, and lacks breathtaking athleticism to blow past really great point of attack defenders. Guys like Raivio and Pargo could dribble thru a mine field. And after a great 1st half, he really made a couple of costly, boneheaded TO's in the 2nd half vs. FSU that I know drove Few nuts. But I didn't see the mistakes as being related to being "worn down." Every team has weaknesses, every team has strengths. Same with players. Despite some shortcomings, I feel Josh has what it takes to take the team to Minneapolis.

DixieZag
03-29-2019, 02:07 PM
I personally feel what aided Josh's freshness near the end is what was said above.....having other people bring the ball up. This is a smart tactic. Especially when FSU resorted to pressing. I mentioned this in another thread. When GU had to play Ohio State some years back in the 2nd round, and Pangos was locked up in a show down with Aaron Craft (one of the greatest on ball defenders college ball has seen in the past 25 years), Few just had Gary Bell bring the ball up the entire game. It was just to take some of the heat off of Pangos. Once they got to half court, Gary handed the ball to Pangos, and GU initiated their offense. Ultimately, GU lost to OSU because the Buckeyes were just a better team, but they didn't disintegrate due to Craft's defense.

I expert a lot of what we saw in the FSU game to be employed in this game. Why not? Most scoring doesn't happen 60 feet from the hoop anyway.

It is true, though, that Josh doesn't have the best handle, and lacks breathtaking athleticism to blow past really great point of attack defenders. Guys like Raivio and Pargo could dribble thru a mine field. And after a great 1st half, he really made a couple of costly, boneheaded TO's in the 2nd half vs. FSU that I know drove Few nuts. But I didn't see the mistakes as being related to being "worn down." Every team has weaknesses, every team has strengths. Same with players. Despite some shortcomings, I feel Josh has what it takes to take the team to Minneapolis.

Some good points.

I still think some of it was wearing him down, if mentally as much as anything. They were in his face all game, extremely physical. Tough not to have it wear on you when you get little rest.

Regardless, we're on the same page in terms of divvying up the duty. We have 5 guys on the floor who can handle the ball. Use them.

Rui just needs to occasionally stop while handling the ball and bring it back up. I always cringe when he goes head down against numbers just bc he brought it up.

MDABE80
03-29-2019, 02:23 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401123384

We favored but not by much. 74% likelihood we win? By 4? By what?? The data favors us but I'm throwing much of it out. This time of the year, the ppg, etc doesn't matter as much. More so when FSU or TTech….with all those talented players would give their rt nad to move on.

CDC84
03-29-2019, 03:08 PM
Some good points.

I still think some of it was wearing him down, if mentally as much as anything. They were in his face all game, extremely physical. Tough not to have it wear on you when you get little rest.

Regardless, we're on the same page in terms of divvying up the duty. We have 5 guys on the floor who can handle the ball. Use them.

Rui just needs to occasionally stop while handling the ball and bring it back up. I always cringe when he goes head down against numbers just bc he brought it up.

Hopefully we can get some good minutes from Geno as well as a sole ball handler. Folks this is a HUGE game for Crandall individually. He has a chance to return home to Minneapolis to play in the final four in his hometown. I mean, can you imagine??!!

gonzagafan62
03-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Hopefully we can get some good minutes from Geno as well as a sole ball handler. Folks this is a HUGE game for Crandall individually. He has a chance to return home to Minneapolis to play in the final four in his hometown. I mean, can you imagine??!!

Also homestate of my Boy Sam Dower