PDA

View Full Version : Couple of NBA teams are trying to make Brandon Clarke drop in the draft

basketballzag
03-29-2019, 08:24 AM
I was at the game last night with two of my former colleagues who are still NBA scouts (both of them with teams in the central time zone) and we were talking about how good Brandon Clarke's game is during the game. We met with another NBA scout from a east coast team (I'll withold his team) and he was bouncing off the walls about how good Clarke is and the impact he is going to have next year. However, he inadvertently let it slip at 1:00 AM over a couple of cocktails that his team is going to go all out to get Clarke but Clarke's play in the tourney now has them concerned that Brandon has has moved up several draft positions which means they aren't going to get him or if they want to get him its going to cost them a trade.

Brandon is definitely the player that this team needs to plug a hole immediately next year--no question about it. So what does a NBA team's front office do to stop a player they absolutely covet do to stop that player from rising to high out of their reach-- well that team will crank out a covert PR machine campaign to try and get that player to slide in the draft. The PR machine targeted Jeremy Woo with Sports Illustrated and Ben Golliver with the Washington Post to stir up doubt about Brandon Clarke's ability this week. (see https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/29/gonzagas-frontcourt-stars-reach-elite-eight-leave-nba-scouts-divided/?utm_term=.c7fd2a280734 see SI: https://www.si.com/nba/2019/03/27/nba-draft-2019-best-prospects-sweet-16-ncaa-tournament-stock-watch?

Three Quotes from Jeremy Woo on Saturday: "Still, he continues to be a fairly polarizing prospect among NBA evaluators. I’ve spoken with multiple teams in recent weeks who view him as more of an early second-round pick than a first-rounder, absurd stats aside." "Clarke’s absurd production, defensive gifts, and the fact he consistently plays so hard are impressive, but there is still some trepidation among some scouts as to how big a role you can reasonably project him into." and "Thursday’s matchup with Florida State will be a key barometer for him, as he has struggled to rebound in a few matchups against frontlines who can match his athleticism with size, and limit his easy baskets (early-season North Carolina and Duke games come to mind)."

I won't even quote the Washington Post article because it was even more absurd than Yoo's comments in SI but the same Brandon Clarke talking points were used to try and bring back down his rise in the draft. You will also see comparisons to Clarke as a Tyrus Thomas Pt 2. Don't believe a second of it.

In order to dispel the myths that are being put out there to knock Clarke down look at what Clarke did against Duke:
Duke game he played 23 minutes, 7-10 FG/FGA, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 6 BLOCKS, 3 TO, 17 points, with 4 PFs. Also for those reporters who say he struggled against Duke--can you please go back and watch the game. He dominated Duke and the only reason Duke was let back in the game was because Clarke picked up two of those fouls on the offensive end. Zion couldn't do much against Clarke (Zion was blocked 2x, Barrett was blocked 3x, and Jones 1x) as he struggled rebounding the ball when Clarke was in the game.

Anyway in case you read articles about Clarke dropping to the bottom of the 1st round or even 2nd round or unnamed NBA scounts or GMs criticizing his game please take those journalistic comments/quotes with a grain of salt because it is part of a disinformation campaign to try to get in the heads of other teams & their fans not to take him so he slides into their lap. This crap is all part of the draft game.

With that said Brandon Clarke is the biggest 6'11 college player who measures 6'9 in this draft. He is definitely going to be a top 12 pick.

One of the main issues Clarke had to contend with early in the season was his ability to get in foul trouble which is something he has completely improved on. In his first 11 games he only played more than 30 minutes in 3 games (30 min/Tenn, 32 min/UNC, & 35 min/Creighton). 4 of those 11 games he had four fouls (Idaho State, Arizona, Duke, & Washington) and 3 fouls in 5 of the first 11 games (Texas Southern, Tex A&M, Illinois, Arizona, ND St, Creighton, Washington, UNC).

After the Washington game--Clarke's PF numbers dropped (10 of first 11 games with 3 or moure fouls (4 fouls in 4 of first 11 games)--Clarke only registered three games where he had 4 fouls in the last 24 games. Last time he had four fouls was against San Diego when he was pushing to get his block record. Against Florida State which had a frontline which certainly matched up with his size and athleticism he only registered 2 fouls in 34 minutes of play.

thespywhozaggedme
03-29-2019, 08:26 AM
I was at the game last night with two of my former colleagues who are still NBA scouts (both of them with teams in the central time zone) and we were talking about how good Brandon Clarke's game is during the game. We met with another NBA scout from a east coast team (I'll withold his team) and he was bouncing off the walls about how good Clarke is and the impact he is going to have next year. However, he inadvertently let it slip at 1:00 AM over a couple of cocktails that his team is going to go all out to get Clarke but Clarke's play in the tourney now has them concerned that Brandon has has moved up several draft positions which means they aren't going to get him or if they want to get him its going to cost them a trade.

Brandon is definitely the player that this team needs to plug a hole immediately next year--no question about it. So what does a NBA team's front office do to stop a player they absolutely covet do to stop that player from rising to high out of their reach-- well that team will crank out a covert PR machine campaign to try and get that player to slide in the draft. The PR machine targeted Jeremy Woo with Sports Illustrated and Ben Golliver with the Washington Post to stir up doubt about Brandon Clarke's ability this week. (see https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/29/gonzagas-frontcourt-stars-reach-elite-eight-leave-nba-scouts-divided/?utm_term=.c7fd2a280734 see SI: https://www.si.com/nba/2019/03/27/nba-draft-2019-best-prospects-sweet-16-ncaa-tournament-stock-watch?

Three Quotes from Jeremy Woo on Saturday: "Still, he continues to be a fairly polarizing prospect among NBA evaluators. I’ve spoken with multiple teams in recent weeks who view him as more of an early second-round pick than a first-rounder, absurd stats aside." "Clarke’s absurd production, defensive gifts, and the fact he consistently plays so hard are impressive, but there is still some trepidation among some scouts as to how big a role you can reasonably project him into." and "Thursday’s matchup with Florida State will be a key barometer for him, as he has struggled to rebound in a few matchups against frontlines who can match his athleticism with size, and limit his easy baskets (early-season North Carolina and Duke games come to mind)."

I won't even quote the Washington Post article because it was even more absurd than Yoo's comments in SI but the same Brandon Clarke talking points were used to try and bring back down his rise in the draft. You will also see comparisons to Clarke as a Tyrus Thomas Pt 2. Don't believe a second of it.

In order to dispel the myths that are being put out there to knock Clarke down look at what Clarke did against Duke:
Duke game he played 23 minutes, 7-10 FG/FGA, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 6 BLOCKS, 3 TO, 17 points, with 4 PFs. Also for those reporters who say he struggled against Duke--can you please go back and watch the game. He dominated Duke and the only reason Duke was let back in the game was because Clarke picked up two of those fouls on the offensive end. Zion couldn't do much against Clarke (Zion was blocked 2x, Barrett was blocked 3x, and Jones 1x) as he struggled rebounding the ball when Clarke was in the game.

Anyway in case you read articles about Clarke dropping to the bottom of the 1st round or even 2nd round or unnamed NBA scounts or GMs criticizing his game please take those journalistic comments/quotes with a grain of salt because it is part of a disinformation campaign to try to get in the heads of other teams & their fans not to take him so he slides into their lap. This crap is all part of the draft game.

With that said Brandon Clarke is the biggest 6'11 college player who measures 6'9 in this draft. He is definitely going to be a top 12 pick.

One of the main issues Clarke had to contend with early in the season was his ability to get in foul trouble which is something he has completely improved on. In his first 11 games he only played more than 30 minutes in 3 games (30 min/Tenn, 32 min/UNC, & 35 min/Creighton). 4 of those 11 games he had four fouls (Idaho State, Arizona, Duke, & Washington) and 3 fouls in 5 of the first 11 games (Texas Southern, Tex A&M, Illinois, Arizona, ND St, Creighton, Washington, UNC).

After the Washington game--Clarke's PF numbers dropped (10 of first 11 games with 3 or moure fouls (4 fouls in 4 of first 11 games)--Clarke only registered three games where he had 4 fouls in the last 24 games. Last time he had four fouls was against San Diego when he was pushing to get his block record. Against Florida State which had a frontline which certainly matched up with his size and athleticism he only registered 2 fouls in 34 minutes of play.

Brandon will be a lottery pick. Book it.

zagfan24
03-29-2019, 08:26 AM
I thought this article from the Ringer yesterday nicely summarized some of the strengths and challenges with regards to Clarke and the NBA.

https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2019/3/28/18285014/brandon-clarke-gonzaga-nba-draft

basketballzag
03-29-2019, 08:33 AM

This would be my official position. One thing Gonzaga should do though is start pushing publicly that he is 6'9 not 6'8 and say he has grown an inch over the last two months. I think he is the one of the top five players in the draft but the best player based on experience/maturity in the draft. I'll also go out on a limb and predict that he will be the NBA Rookie of the Year next year.

zagfan24
03-29-2019, 08:49 AM
This would be my official position. One thing Gonzaga should do though is start pushing publicly that he is 6'9 not 6'8 and say he has grown an inch over the last two months. I think he is the one of the top five players in the draft but the best player based on experience/maturity in the draft. I'll also go out on a limb and predict that he will be the NBA Rookie of the Year next year.

Brandon also exemplifies why a simple height measurement is so overrated. He jumps high and jumps quickly, making him play a lot bigger than his height would indicate. He may not be able to defend a 7'2" player consistently, but in today's NBA I don't think he will struggle to find a role. I think the Pascal Siakam comp is a relatively good one for what Clarke would be able to provide to a team.

jazzdelmar
03-29-2019, 08:51 AM
Filthy, despicable business, the NBA. As for BC, his putback on the Rui missed layup was electric; he literally flew over some terrific athletes as if they were standing still.

willandi
03-29-2019, 08:54 AM
I thought this article from the Ringer yesterday nicely summarized some of the strengths and challenges with regards to Clarke and the NBA.

https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2019/3/28/18285014/brandon-clarke-gonzaga-nba-draft

Good read. I would like to see their updated version after the FSU game.

He showed that he could handle the size there too.

raise the zag
03-29-2019, 08:55 AM

I agree with the entire OP and your excellent points, however after meeting Brandon Clarke on two different occasions this season, he is not 6'9".

Actually I would guess closer to 6'7", as when he stood alongside Tillie, even Rui outside the lockerroom, he was definitely a bit shorter.

Matter of fact, Zach Norvell seemed closer to his height than Clarke to Tillie.

This doesn't mean he doesn't play like he is 6'11", or can guard this height, but Brandon was neck and neck with Rui (appeared shorter but could be the hair), and notably shorter than Tillie. More than 1", seemed closer to 2 if not 3". In some ways I was surprised at how big he plays on the court given his height in person.

Otherwise, couldn't agree more with your post.

webspinnre
03-29-2019, 08:56 AM
I'm a fan of the Shawn Marion comp, and while he's not Draymond, he's got quite a bit of that skillset.

zagdontzig
03-29-2019, 09:09 AM
So what does a NBA team's front office do to stop a player they absolutely covet do to stop that player from rising to high out of their reach-- well that team will crank out a covert PR machine campaign to try and get that player to slide in the draft. The PR machine targeted Jeremy Woo with Sports Illustrated and Ben Golliver with the Washington Post to stir up doubt about Brandon Clarke's ability this week.

Wow.

jazzdelmar
03-29-2019, 09:12 AM
Wow.

Most national scribes are in someone or some team's pocket, that's how they get tips and exclusives......this is not Woody and Bernstein here.

TexasZagFan
03-29-2019, 10:08 AM
I'm a fan of the Shawn Marion comp, and while he's not Draymond, he's got quite a bit of that skillset.

But without the mouth/attitude. Perhaps Steve Kerr might prefer that over Draymond Drama...lol.

DixieZag
03-29-2019, 10:29 AM

While I agree with you, definitely,

Doesn't that put you up to 52 "guaranteed" lottery picks this year?

I had a running figure going, but ran out of room.

Just joshing you.

DixieZag
03-29-2019, 10:32 AM
Filthy, despicable business, the NBA. As for BC, his putback on the Rui missed layup was electric; he literally flew over some terrific athletes as if they were standing still.

Loved what Few said.

The amazing part of the play wasn't just him flying over everyone - and the style points in turning to pump his fist to the bench - but the fact that he was even at the end of the floor to begin with. As Few said: "Most people assume Rui is going to bury that, but Brandon was hustle-following the play to be there"

That can't be taught.

thespywhozaggedme
03-29-2019, 10:42 AM
While I agree with you, definitely,

Doesn't that put you up to 52 "guaranteed" lottery picks this year?

I had a running figure going, but ran out of room.

Just joshing you.

No, just Rui and Brandon. Now I did say we have five players on the team that will get drafted; those 2+ Kylian and Zach and Philip.

Therunner
03-29-2019, 10:45 AM
No, just Rui and Brandon. Now I did say we have five players on the team that will get drafted; those 2+ Kylian and Zach and Philip.

Are Kylian & Philip our next one and dones? Please do tell.

GoZag
03-29-2019, 10:56 AM
sounds like I am in the minority but I think Brandon needs to develop his outside shot. That alone will hurt his draft position

zagapotomus
03-29-2019, 11:05 AM
I find it incredulous that NBA teams would rely on effectively op-ed writers to determine how much to value a NBA prospect.

jazzdelmar
03-29-2019, 11:14 AM
No you misunderstand it’s the disinformation campaign.

sounds like I am in the minority but I think Brandon needs to develop his outside shot. That alone will hurt his draft position

I find it incredulous that NBA teams would rely on effectively op-ed writers to determine how much to value a NBA prospect.

zagapotomus
03-29-2019, 12:28 PM
No you misunderstand it’s the disinformation campaign.

Well, good thing the lay public (ESPN/etc audience) don't get draft picks.

Snowkane
03-29-2019, 12:32 PM
I'm not saying I have access to insider information, but here are two interesting tidbits of the upcoming draft that I have heard as they relate to Brandon Clarke.

There is a team that does not have a first round pick who would covet Clarke if they had a first round pick. They were considering a trade (possibly still could) but there are some serious road blocks because of what they would have to give up and no assurance Clarke will be available after pick #12-15.

Another team quietly high on Clarke is a team with two first round draft picks. They never thought they would have to use their first pick on Clarke, but they actually might have to.

I am still running around oblivious and ignorant thinking that both Clarke and Rui suit for for the Zags next year! :)

Zagger
03-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Good - in the sense of having anyone at TTU read this stuff. More people underestimate the Zags than realize just how good they are. I think that was part of FSU's problem yesterday. I think it's been a bit of ..... it's not until the Zags are played that they are fully appreciated. I think TTU will face the same issue.

raise the zag
03-29-2019, 01:09 PM
Good - in the sense of having anyone at TTU read this stuff. More people underestimate the Zags than realize just how good they are. I think that was part of FSU's problem yesterday. I think it's been a bit of ..... it's not until the Zags are played that they are fully appreciated. I think TTU will face the same issue.

I definitely agree as it relates to FSU .

They expected Gonzaga to be "softer" than what we showed.

To be intimidated, back down, get in our heads with physical play, and bully tactics away from the ball.

They really came after our guards. But they didn't back down and held strong.

I think Gonzaga's offense is better than most anticipate and Coach Drew of Baylor said the same. He said it felt like trying to guard a Dam breaking, "plug 4 holes and the 5th one still breaks through".

Good analogy.

On the flip side, the same can be said for Texas Tech defense. Tough to simulate and prepare for. Not only do they work together, share a common vision, have the physical attributes, etc, its their unique scheme, collapsing zone and pressure man combo which wins games by itself.

Truly a battle of strengths.

I've always felt it's easier to "step up" your defense in games like this, than to suddenly "step up" and become an offensive force. Hitting more shots is one thing but improving team D is easier than improving team O, imo.

U Zig, I Zag
03-29-2019, 01:27 PM

That put back was nuts. The one angle looked like a nature doc with some seals and birds hanging on the ocean surface and then this massive great white comes out of nowhere and takes a bite.

raise the zag
03-29-2019, 01:34 PM
That put back was nuts. The one angle looked like a nature doc with some seals and birds hanging on the ocean surface and then this massive great white comes out of nowhere and takes a bite.

:000tens:

maynard g krebs
03-29-2019, 01:38 PM
Don't NBA scouts watch players and evaluate their talent level for themselves? Are they really stupid enough to have their decisions influenced by what sports writers say about players?

Seems to me that people that get paid well to do this stuff should be able to make up their own minds about what they see. I guess I shouldn't be shocked by the OP though. I guess basketball scouts aren't supposed to be rocket surgeons.

CDC84
03-29-2019, 01:46 PM
One of the things that helps Clarke is that he can hit TOUGH shots over length. He got better and better at that as the year moved along. Part of it is due to his extreme athleticism. The Baylor game makes for a good demo tape.

To me, Clarke's value to the NBA is going to be his defense and his overall versatility as a defender and shotblocker.

The big question for me is whether he can ever develop a good enough 15 foot jumper to keep defenses honest in the NBA. If he ever develops a jumper, he'll see more and more minutes.

He's the closest thing to Kenyon Martin we have seen in college basketball since Kenyon.

There will be some teams who will pass on Brandon. The key is, there are teams that will want him depending on how much they value defense and rebounding. If he doesn't make the lottery, he won't go worse than 20. He is just too gifted athletically and too great of a defender. Plus he has shown that he is capable of making massive improvements as a player, and is super coachable. He also has a killer instinct for clutch plays, which you cannot teach.

MDABE80
03-29-2019, 01:49 PM
3 games into the Tournament, 2 big things came to mind last night. 1. win the rest of the games, and 2, begin immediately looking for another Brandon Clarke. Put one guy on this 2nd goal. He's essential to us and one like him will be next year too. He's everything. I lust for him to stay as he's exceeded all expectations. We need a kid like him. There must be one out there. We win the title and that type of kid may well show up. 3 down, 3 to go!!

CDC84
03-29-2019, 02:00 PM
I do not know why scouts/analysts are getting this idea that Clarke struggled in the Duke game. He blocked 6 SHOTS! 17 points on 7/10 shooting.

People need to take the UNC game tape and chuck it. If scouts are not aware of the empirical evidence that most teams and players struggle and underperform after finals week - even more so on the road vs. a number one seed 2700 miles at home - that is their fault. Clarke still played a reasonable game. No one on UNC's frontline is nearly as athletic and is as good at shot blocking as BC is.

I really think in the Baylor and FSU games, Clarke showed some of the doubters wrong. But again, I think this is just going to come down to the team that values him. It's obvious he isn't a player like Zion or Culver who everyone covets.

CDC84
03-29-2019, 02:04 PM
Another thing.....BC's improvement as a foul shooter. He went from awful at SJSU to bad at GU to mediocre later in the season at GU to being able to hit the biggest clutch free throws that GU needed last night. Another sign that he is a player that demonstrates improvement with coaching.

bartruff1
03-29-2019, 02:48 PM

The whole idea is just silly....drafting a player is a multi million dollar multi year investment made by a multi billion dollar Corporation who has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars evaluating a player's potential.... I cannot believe they would pay any attention to some media opinion that has no skin in the game...… including the megaphone for morons called social media..

former1dog
03-29-2019, 02:51 PM
The whole idea is just silly....drafting a player is a multi million dollar multi year investment made by a multi billion dollar Corporation who has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars evaluating a player's potential.... I cannot believe they would pay any attention to some media opinion that has no skin in the game...… including the megaphone for morons called social media..

+1

DixieZag
03-29-2019, 02:59 PM

They don't pay attention to the writer, they wonder if the writer is talking to real sources and try to gauge whether the source itself has some info that should be evaluated.

Precisely bc it is a multi-million dollar investment, they'll be looking at every angle, including getting a sense of the general consensus so as to evaluate where they think he will go in the draft, and/or whether they have ALL the info they need.

It's also bc it's a multimillion dollar investment that it would be negligence to not attempt to get some disinfo out there if he's a player someone really wants. If you REALLY want him there at 12 or whatever, you would be remiss to not plant false stories, etc.

I agree, no one is relying on beat writers basketball opinions. They will read if they think that these are real sources who have knowledge they might not have. That's just top tier business maneuvering.

bartruff1
03-29-2019, 03:38 PM
You still looking for the pony Dixie....there is a huge difference between listening to everyone..... and reading everything and ….having it affect your decisions..... Engineers don't engage in misinformation ...if they do they lose their license....their job...and their reputation.

DixieZag
03-29-2019, 04:11 PM
You still looking for the pony Dixie....there is a huge difference between listening to everyone..... and reading everything and ….having it affect your decisions..... Engineers don't engage in misinformation ...if they do they lose their license....their job...and their reputation.

Fair enough.

And yet there's a bit more art to reading talent than in engineering.

They don't just have to do their own evaluations, they have to look at what others' evaluate in order to predict who will be available when, that's where I think the disinfo campaign comes in. Hard to take the human factor out of everything.

23dpg
03-29-2019, 05:40 PM
I honestly think it might be Rui dropping. If I had to bet right now I’d wager that Brandon gets picked first.

Who knows? It’s about getting one team to fall in love with your game.

Unbiased
03-29-2019, 05:45 PM
I agree with the entire OP and your excellent points, however after meeting Brandon Clarke on two different occasions this season, he is not 6'9".

Actually I would guess closer to 6'7", as when he stood alongside Tillie, even Rui outside the lockerroom, he was definitely a bit shorter.

Matter of fact, Zach Norvell seemed closer to his height than Clarke to Tillie.

This doesn't mean he doesn't play like he is 6'11", or can guard this height, but Brandon was neck and neck with Rui (appeared shorter but could be the hair), and notably shorter than Tillie. More than 1", seemed closer to 2 if not 3". In some ways I was surprised at how big he plays on the court given his height in person.

Otherwise, couldn't agree more with your post.
I agree. Probably 6' 6".
If there is a pic out there of Brandon standing being interviewed by Adam Morrison that would be a good comparison. Adam was measured not quite 6' 6" and a 1/2 half stocking feet, at the NBA draft combine.

MileHigh
03-29-2019, 06:50 PM

Sorry. Im calling BS on your entire post. NBA GM's dont give a rats arse what some reporter/draft analysis says about a player. Not to mention the fact that scouts from every single NBA team have been to multiple Zag practices and countless games to evaluate Rui and Clarke. Every team has thier own grade on him and the Jeremy Woo's of the world arnt going to effect it much, it at all,

Also, his height will be measured at the combine, and again at the individual workout/interview that the teams that might draft him will conduct. so your suggestion in another post that the Zags start some sort of campaign that he has grown an inch to help his draft position laughable.

Clark will be a first rounder, no doubt. Lottery pick? I would be surprised because he is an undersized 4/5, and teams usually look at lottery picks as potential "faces of he franchise" type players. But maybe. I still think Rui has a higher ceiling and gets drafted earlier than Clark