PDA

View Full Version : Ira!...?

former1dog
11-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Few was quoted as saying that the other guys are just playing better than Ira! right now.

Looking at the stat sheet, Ira! played 9 minutes and did not attempt to take a shot. I am wondering if Ira! needs to be a little more aggressive at this point to insure that he can win some minutes going forward?

Any first hand impressions as to whether or not this "guess" on my part has any validity?

TheZagPhish
11-08-2007, 09:22 AM
On the local radio broadcast it was said that Ira! is struggling to learn all 30-40 sets, and he's struggling with that. In JC they had one play and it was basically, "Get the ball to Ira!"

I agree though; not only will he have to learn his role, he'll have to take quick action in it. I think mid-season we'll really see some maturity in his play. I just like the guy.

cggonzaga
11-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Remember when Bob said about a week or so ago that some of the newcomers weren't coming along as hoped? It was Ira. He didn't even play until way late in the game.

former1dog
11-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Remember when Bob said about a week or so ago that some of the newcomers weren't coming along as hoped? It was Ira. He didn't even play until way late in the game.

Perhaps they need to pull a Kuso on him. Last year, Kuso was struggling with the sets also and the coaching staff decided to simplify things for him and just give him some basic things to do. Of course, I think there was some necessity behind that coaching move last year.

Although this years team is stacked at Ira!'s position, I still think the team could benefit from his Uber athleticism. It would be nice to see him get a chance ala Kuso last year.

Hank
11-08-2007, 10:20 AM
In 9 minutes of play he crashed the boards 4 times and dished out 3 dimes, which is pretty good. Just like Knight brought a tremendous amount of athleticism to the court, which translated into a lot of intangibles, I think Ira will do the same. Once he gets more comfortable with the sets (hopefully by January), Ira will start making an impact.

CDC84
11-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Not only is Ira stuggling to pick up the system because of the lack of any sort of system at Phoenix College, but also because of his pure lack of organized basketball experience throughout his life compared to many of his teammates. I'm not just talking about the years when he was pitching, but also when he was a kid growing up. Kids like Austin Daye have been involved in the game 12 months out the year since infancy. When you are continuously around the game, your brain gets hard wired to pick things up pretty quickly.

TheZagPhish
11-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Not only is Ira stuggling to pick up the system because of the lack of any sort of system at Phoenix College, but also because of his pure lack of organized basketball experience throughout his life compared to many of his teammates. I'm not just talking about the years when he was pitching, but also when he was a kid growing up. Kids like Austin Daye have been involved in the game 12 months out the year since infancy. When you are continuously around the game, your brain gets hard wired to pick things up pretty quickly.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. There are fundamental patterns instinctively informing the play of many of our players, something less so with Ira!

I expect he's going to be a serious strength-of-will talent.

JAGzag
11-08-2007, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=former1dog;103633]Few was quoted as saying that the other guys are just playing better than Ira! right now.

In that same article/interview Few also said it typically takes JC transfers 6 months to get brought up to speed in our system. He'll be alright and I look forward to his contributions and energy. IRA!!!

lawzag
11-08-2007, 11:24 AM
I thought many of these same things - however, there were several times last night when Ira! was wide open (& I do mean WIDE open) to make a 12-15 ft jumper, but the ball was never passed to him.

Since the coaching staff openly admits that he is not likely to play many minutes right now, I wonder if the team likewise is not looking to get him the ball during those minutes when he is in - ergo, he did not take shots last night...? Just an observation.

As Hank mentioned above, he did several things well & his athleticism was evident. A little more development & I think he could be a major contriubutor come January.

ZagNative
11-08-2007, 11:27 AM
The Spokesman-Review online photo album (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/zags/photo.asp?showid=403&photo=7) of the game is up and has a nice first shot of Ira! in action as a Zag:

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/media/slideshows/20071107_zags/r_07.jpg
Gonzaga's Ira Brown, right, drives against Emporia State's
Spencer Allen. (Ingrid Barrentine/Associated Press)