PDA

View Full Version : Why so negative?

YukonJack
03-25-2019, 07:50 AM
This is a case of the recentcy virus. Norvell and Hachimura in the dog house and Clarke and Kispert being lauded as the greatest gamers the Zags have ever seen. All of them will be fine and there is a reason why Gonzaga is #1 seed. Some of us here deep down still see the Bulldogs as a Cinderella. It will never go away. Put Duke Jerseys on these players and all of a sudden the worries would turn to confidence. The Zags will win easily and cover steamrolling into the final four.

CDC84
03-25-2019, 08:37 AM
Not so much a negative outlook, but confusion with me. At least with one player.

Norvell is just Norvell. He had been doing a better job in recent weeks of not hucking up 3 pointers 9 seconds into the shot clock or other kinds of 3 pointers that weren't within the flow of the offense. He's gotten away from that in recent games, and you can see on the sidelines that it can frustrate Few.

But anyone who is not concerned about what seems to be going on with Rui is choosing to put blinders on. In the past 2 weeks, he didn't just play 2 bad games, he played 2 games where he was totally and completely disengaged. When you only throw up 6 field goal attempts against St. Mary's in the WCC title game, and you don't have any foul trouble, that makes you wonder what the heck is going on? And then to follow up that performance with the Baylor one where, again, he only put up 6 field goal attempts and committed three turnovers. There were times where Few just sat him unless Vital was in the game with his 4 foals.....because in that situation, if Vital was guarding him, he just had to let him score. Otherwise, Rui was just too much of a liability because his head wasn't in the game. I don't wish to sound harsh. He's our first team AA, and this team wouldn't be close to having a #1 seed without him, but these two games are puzzling.

I know Few tried to explain it away by saying that Baylor was a really physical team, and when the refs didn't give Rui some early calls, he got frustrated. But honestly, Baylor is not anymore physical than a number of teams that GU has faced this year.

So I am concerned, especially when I know that Gonzaga will not get past Florida State unless Rui returns to the old Rui. I just have no explanation for the SMC and Baylor "check out" performances. Again, we're talking about only 12 FG attempts in two BIG TIME games by our All American scorer. GU needs better than that. And it's not like Rui had 8 assists and 12 boards in each game. His head was somewhere else.

The great news is that what happened against SMC and Baylor is just an aberration. Rui brought the goods against the top overall seed in the dance: Duke. He brought the goods vs. Tennessee. So it's not like he cannot be great against great competition. There is always the chance for redemption. Somehow I feel we are going to see the old Rui against FSU. I have faith in it.

raise the zag
03-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Not so much a negative outlook, but confusion with me. At least with one player.

Norvell is just Norvell. He had been doing a better job in recent weeks of not hucking up 3 pointers 9 seconds into the shot clock or other kinds of 3 pointers that weren't within the flow of the offense. He's gotten away from that in recent games, and you can see on the sidelines that it can frustrate Few.

But anyone who is not concerned about what seems to be going on with Rui is choosing to put blinders on. In the past 2 weeks, he didn't just play 2 bad games, he played 2 games where he was totally and completely disengaged. When you only throw up 6 field goal attempts against St. Mary's in the WCC title game, and you don't have any foul trouble, that makes you wonder what the heck is going on? And then to follow up that performance with the Baylor one where, again, he only put up 6 field goal attempts and committed three turnovers. There were times where Few just sat him unless Vital was in the game with his 4 foals.....because in that situation, if Vital was guarding him, he just had to let him score. Otherwise, Rui was just too much of a liability because his head wasn't in the game. I don't wish to sound harsh. He's our first team AA, and this team wouldn't be close to having a #1 seed without him, but these two games are puzzling.

I know Few tried to explain it away by saying that Baylor was a really physical team, and when the refs didn't give Rui some early calls, he got frustrated. But honestly, Baylor is not anymore physical than a number of teams that GU has faced this year.

So I am concerned, especially when I know that Gonzaga will not get past Florida State unless Rui returns to the old Rui. I just have no explanation for the SMC and Baylor "check out" performances. Again, we're talking about only 12 FG attempts in two BIG TIME games by our All American scorer. GU needs better than that. And it's not like Rui had 8 assists and 12 boards in each game. His head was somewhere else.

The great news is that what happened against SMC and Baylor is just an aberration. Rui brought the goods against the top overall seed in the dance: Duke. He brought the goods vs. Tennessee. So it's not like he cannot be great against great competition. There is always the chance for redemption. Somehow I feel we are going to see the old Rui against FSU. I have faith in it.

Good objective post which is applicable.

Like with Norvell, who is clearly giving his all, 110%, fighting, passing, rebounding, and defending like a champ. Playing nearly every minute to boot.

Rui is simply spaced out. Some suggesting Norvell thinking ahead to NBA, no way, if anyone is....

Well, Rui was asked non stop by Japanese media recently about NBA, which team he hopes to play for, being a star for Japan, etc. Non stop. Talk about getting in his head.

Is Rui checked out this season? Will we get him back, engaged, risking his body? To me, looks like he's playing to avoid injury, rarely challenging any sort of physicality, or pushing it. Just deferring and floating around.

Even though Tillie missed every shot, his level of play and effort was such better, it became obvious Rui wasn't playing hard. Tillie had 6 rebounds in 18 mins, and fought for every one.

Right now, Rui is a decoy. And he seems fine with mailing it in til June..

I hope he proves me wrong this Thursday but I'm certainly not expecting it.

Again, it's like the SMC game, it's not the result but HOW he played. My Wife was saying "is something wrong with Rui's eyes, it's almost like he's playing blind, the ball is right there and he isn't grabbing it".

I see her point and observation.

Rui has no idea he is costing himself millions IF he is truly coasting.

And its not like Rui was double teamed in either game, he simply was being pushed around and gave up for the most part

former1dog
03-25-2019, 08:55 AM
RTZ,

I'll preface this by saying I typically respect your point of view and enjoy your posts.

What you just put out for the world to see regarding RUI, though, is rubbish.

Every athlete, and I mean every single athlete at every level of the sport, but especially at the higher levels have a bad game or two once in awhile. Frankly, if you want high level, consistent performance every single game then I think you need to go watch Michael Jordan reruns, but be prepared for disappointment, because even MJ had a couple of bad games.

I was a D1 athlete a very long time ago. The thing that I think I did the best for my team was providing a consistent result. That was my thing. BUT, I still had at least 3 or 4 major clunkers in my career, maybe more. Its going to happen because we are not machines. S h i t happens and you have to deal.

If you don't think Rui Hachimura is all in for this team, trying to win for Gonzaga and his brothers, you HAVE NOT been paying attention, AT ALL.

HenneZag
03-25-2019, 08:56 AM
High expectations for a all American type player, nothing wrong with that. Rui has looked like a role player the last few games which is very concerning to me. He's not playing with passion nor intensity and atleast from my view looks uninspired. I may be wrong, but the proof is in the results. Clarke is playing himself into the lottery and RUI out imo.

We all know what RUI is capable of, he just needs to go prove himself on the highest stage against elite level players. If he cant perform on this stage how will he perform on the latter.

HenneZag
03-25-2019, 08:59 AM
RTZ,

I'll preface this by saying I typically respect your point of view and enjoy your posts.

Every athlete, and I mean every single athlete at every level of the sport, but especially at the higher levels have a bad game or two once in awhile. Frankly, if you want high level, consistent performance every single game then I think you need to go watch Michael Jordan reruns, but be prepared for disappointment, because even MJ had a couple of bad games.

I was a D1 athlete a very long time ago. The thing that I think I did the best for my team was providing a consistent result. That was my thing. BUT, I still had at least 3 or 4 major clunkers in my career, maybe more. Its going to happen because we are not machines. S h i t happens and you have to deal.

If you don't think Rui Hachimura is all in for this team, trying to win for Gonzaga and his brothers, you HAVE NOT been paying attention, AT ALL.

You're absolutely right. With that said he appears to be coasting through the last couple games. I may be way off as I dont know him personally, just an outsider view. We all love the kid and hope for the best. If he is showing the intensity and passion and just not hitting shots or having a bad couple games I get it, but it doesnt portray that way.

raise the zag
03-25-2019, 09:04 AM
RTZ,

This is a great post and reply to my emotional & frustrated post.

Thanks F1D. Love your stuff, as always.

former1dog
03-25-2019, 09:08 AM
You're absolutely right. With that said he appears to be coasting through the last couple games. I may be way off as I dont know him personally, just an outsider view. We all love the kid and hope for the best. If he is showing the intensity and passion and just not hitting shots or having a bad couple games I get it, but it doesnt portray that way.

The biggest reason to help us all realize that Rui simply has had a couple of bad games besides the ones already stated is quite straightforward. To believe that Hachimura is intentionally coasting or giving less than his best effort is to believe he's stupid. It's not lost on Rui Hachimura that an athlete, any athlete that doesn't perform well is not going to be viewed favorably by those who are evaluating him. If you think he doesn't understand that, then you have to think he's stupid.

Rui Hachimura is not stupid. He's just had two sub par games, interspersed by one good game(BTW). It happens to athletes in all sports. Based on the a whole lot of evidence from more than 30 games this season, the likelihood that he plays well versus FSU is extremely high.

former1dog
03-25-2019, 09:09 AM
This is a great post and reply to my emotional & frustrated post.

Thanks F1D. Love your stuff, as always.

Love you too Bro.

SWZag
03-25-2019, 09:14 AM
Wonder if Rui is getting overwhelmed with foreign (Japanese) press during these last couple weeks due to his status as an All-American and huge expectations placed on him.

Bogozags
03-25-2019, 09:20 AM
RTZ,

Agree 100%

Look at Mcgee for Wofford...made crazy shots all season and suddenly there was a lid on the basket or how about KW against SMU...didn't hit one basket in that game...

Rui is the best athlete we have ever had at GU and he had a bad game...don't think it was nerves just not his night...same with Tillie...
Scit like this happens to the best of families...

former1dog
03-25-2019, 09:21 AM
By the way, Rui was a bright spot versus the behemoth of FSU last year in the sweet 16. He led the team in scoring with 16 points, grabbed 9 rebounds and had 2 blocked shots. All of those numbers were well above his averages last season. This season with Brandon Clarke and all of Gonzaga's other weapons, I think Rui can at the very least get to his averages for the season against FSU.

DixieZag
03-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Wonder if Rui is getting overwhelmed with foreign (Japanese) press during these last couple weeks due to his status as an All-American and huge expectations placed on him.

It's a reasonable question.

And the easiest part to fix, it it's a problem.

"All Player availability is held until after this weekend's games except for public NCAA-sanctioned press periods. Gonzaga SID will handle all questions until . . . "

Don't even put his name on it. Don't make it about him, make it a team thing like everything else.

Reborn
03-25-2019, 11:08 AM

But anyone who is not concerned about what seems to be going on with Rui is choosing to put blinders on.

So I am concerned, especially when I know that Gonzaga will not get past Florida State unless Rui returns to the old Rui.

I like your last paragraph the most, and I'm glad that you have faith that Rui will play as good as he can. I have the utmost respect for you, CDC, and respect your knowledge of the game of basketball and insight into our players. However, in this particular post I do disagree with a couple things you say. First, I don't have any concern at all about Rui Hachimura. And I don't believe I have blinders on. First we did not lose the game to St Mary's because Rui had a bad night. This is a team game and when Gonzaga plays as a team we win. We did that Saturday against a very tough Baylor team. So obviously Gonzaga does not need Rui to score 20 points to beat Florida St.

I do agree that Rui has not been playing as well we are used to seeing him play, both against St Mary's and on Saturday against Baylor. I will not disagree with your assessment of his game. I just do not feel the concern that you seem to feel about the Zags ability to beat Florida if Rui has another bad game. We are so fortunate to have Tillie on the bench who can come into a game and play with the power that Hachimura lacked Saturday. We also have Jones who can come in and play with a lot of toughness and power. I feel that something is wrong with Rui, and am not sure what it is. I really do hope that he figures it out, or if he has been sick that whatever it was it will be gone by Thursday. I love Rui, and I know we all do. He's my favorite player and I kind of feel a little defensive when people criticize him or his effort. I feel like he's a brother. I'm not sure why I feel this way but I do. I will be praying for him to get rid of whatever is troubling him every day. Like you I do have the faith that he will return to his best self.

I hope my remarks are not offensive. I guess I also don't like someone telling me I have blinders on. It makes me feel like if I don't see things the way you do I am blind. I'm glad we both have the faith you spoke of because if we do we won't have any concern.

Go Zags!!!

Zagger
03-25-2019, 11:26 AM
What’re the chances of ALL 9 of these guys being hot in the same game: Rui, Snax, Corey, Geno, Filip, Brandon, Jeremy, Killian and Josh? Some of these guys can and do have off games. Who’s been most consistent? Can’t they buck their trend a little? My thoughts are that California will be good for the Zags. They’re comfy there. The Zags are also just now getting to exercise their full roster more and can afford to better take advantage of who’s hot. Brandon in the last game for one such situation - big time. During the FSU game it could as easily be Rui or Zach or Tillie or ... Brandon again. FSU is deep and so are the Zags. I expect the Zags to play one of their best games ever yet this year. They’ve got the ingredients and recipes - let’s see what they bake!

23dpg
03-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Vegas odds to win the title as of this morning:

1 Duke +300
2 Gonzaga +400
3 Virginia -500
3 UNC +500
5 MSU +1000
6 Michigan +1200

13 Florida State +4000

Fret away.

DixieZag
03-25-2019, 12:57 PM
Vegas odds to win the title as of this morning:

1 Duke +300
2 Gonzaga +400
3 Virginia -500
3 UNC +500
5 MSU +1000
6 Michigan +1200

13 Florida State +4000

Fret away.

I could cinch this f'er right now and go put $2500 on Florida State to win it all!