PDA

View Full Version : Chalkiest tournament ever?

YukonJack
03-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Am I correct that we may have 14 out 16 seeded teams no less than 4 seed. If that is the case any team that can win 4 in a row will certainly be deserving. Fans of all teams must feel as if they have no chance. It looks daunting. No easy paths for anyone. Imagine a schedule of Fla St, Texas Tech, Duke, and North Carolina. Normal circumstances would say 2-2. Only 4-0 is success!?

gonzagafan62
03-24-2019, 06:16 PM
If it continues chalk till the final four I wouldn’t mind

seacatfan
03-24-2019, 06:33 PM
Maybe the whole Tournament wasn't the chalkiest ever but there was a fairly recent year (maybe 10 years ago?) w/ all 4 #1 seeds advancing to the Final 4. I thought that was kinda boring but the media loved it. Pretty much all blue bloods too.

strikenowhere
03-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Maybe the whole Tournament wasn't the chalkiest ever but there was a fairly recent year (maybe 10 years ago?) w/ all 4 #1 seeds advancing to the Final 4. I thought that was kinda boring but the media loved it. Pretty much all blue bloods too.

2008 - I remember it well, as it was the first and only time I won my pool! Kansas vs North Carolina and Memphis vs. UCLA, with Kansas winning it all with a last second 3 from Mario Chalmers to tie the game in regulation and winning in OT.

EDIT - oh yeah that Curry fella too making a bit of a splash

seacatfan
03-24-2019, 06:58 PM
2008 - I remember it well, as it was the first and only time I won my pool! Kansas vs North Carolina and Memphis vs. UCLA, with Kansas winning it all with a last second 3 from Mario Chalmers to tie the game in regulation and winning in OT.

EDIT - oh yeah that Curry fella too making a bit of a splash

Yeah, that was it. I guess Memphis isn't really a blue blood, but Coach Cal had turned them into a powerhouse. UCLA hasn't been remotely close to a FF since then either.

Whatever happened to that Curry fella? Seemed like he had some potential.

23dpg
03-24-2019, 07:00 PM
Yeah, that was it. I guess Memphis isn't really a blue blood, but Coach Cal had turned them into a powerhouse. UCLA hasn't been remotely close to a FF since then either.

Whatever happened to that Curry fella? Seemed like he had some potential.

Too small.

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2019, 07:03 PM
We will have a 12 or 13 make it to the SS, so there is that, but yeah, overall it's been pretty boring.

seacatfan
03-24-2019, 07:05 PM
Too small.

Yeah, not really a PG either.

23dpg
03-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Yeah, not really a PG either.

Yup. Tweeter. And from a small conference. Never had a chance.

LTownZag
03-24-2019, 07:12 PM
We could have easily had a 2 (Tenn) lose to a #10 (Iowa) and a #1 (overall #1) lose to a #9. In fact I'd go so far as to say that bad officiating, lucky weird bounces, or both, prevented Duke and Tennessee from exiting today.

There's so much noise-vs-signal in March Madness.

kdaleb
03-24-2019, 09:27 PM
This may just be the chalk-iest tournament I can remember. All twelve teams seeded 1,2, or 3 are in the sweet sixteen plus two of the four seeds. Only 5 seeded Auburn and 12 seeded Oregon "aren't supposed" to be here. Pretty crazy how few upsets there have been.

https://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/public/images/2019-03-25/2019-ncaa-tournament-bracket-schedule-scores_0.jpg

DixieZag
03-25-2019, 04:43 AM
We could have easily had a 2 (Tenn) lose to a #10 (Iowa) and a #1 (overall #1) lose to a #9. In fact I'd go so far as to say that bad officiating, lucky weird bounces, or both, prevented Duke and Tennessee from exiting today.

That's true. But, it reinforces the issue. People love "March Madness" for the "madness" and not for watching UNC curbstomp UW.

It's not even so much the lack of upsets, as most of the games themselves have been awful, not close, not particularly well-played.

I think that's part of why Clarke's effort was so rightly talked about by the announcers going on and on. There hadn't been a lot of great performances by anyone.

Boring tournament so far. I would be fine if all number ones made the FF, though.

gonzagafan62
03-25-2019, 04:47 AM
That's true. But, it reinforces the issue. People love "March Madness" for the "madness" and not for watching UNC curbstomp UW.

It's not even so much the lack of upsets, as most of the games themselves have been awful, not close, not particularly well-played.

I think that's part of why Clarke's effort was so rightly talked about by the announcers going on and on. There hadn't been a lot of great performances by anyone.

Boring tournament so far. I would be fine if all number ones made the FF, though.

Yet we still have ppl saying the sport is rigged because quite “ppl love upsets”

Upsets = $$$$

Guess we should just quit that talk now.

RenoZag
03-25-2019, 01:38 PM
In 1989, 2009, and now 2019, Seed slots 6 through 10 did not land any participants in the Sweet 16 field. . .

https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/x375/RenoZag/1/43cf7d59-ee95-4992-a4e8-bdcc2c561617-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds (https://beta.photobucket.com/u/RenoZag/p/43cf7d59-ee95-4992-a4e8-bdcc2c561617)

Not that UCF didn't give it the ol' college try yesterday. . .

According to ESPN: http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26356002/betting-favorites-made-history-round-32

For the first time since the tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, all 16 betting favorites won in the round of 32, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Three times, in 2009, 1995 and 1991, the favored team had won 15 of 16 games in the round of 32, but this was the first year in which the chalk went undefeated.

Mr Vulture
03-25-2019, 02:56 PM

It was poor officiating that allowed Iowa to get to OT versus Tennessee. The foul call on Tennnessee onthe 3pt shot was a 5pt swing alone late in that game (3pts for FT's and loss of breakaway dunk). There were many questionable calls during that comeback. As for Duke/UCF, the ball that hit the rim or didn't hit the rim favored UCF and they didn't rebound the foul shot at the end which hurt them (I wouldn't call that bad luck or officiating).