PDA

View Full Version : Best Individual Game Since...?

LTownZag
03-23-2019, 07:31 PM
Clarke's stat line from tonight was absurd.

36pts, 15/18 shooting, 6/8 from the line, 5 blocks, 4 assists, 8 boards, 36 minutes

Most underappreciated stat: He drew 9 fouls on Baylor defenders. Including fouls #3 and #4 on Vital over the course of 30 seconds, taking him out of the game.

When was the last Zag player to have a better game?

The most recent game that I think even holds a candle was J3 against Florida at the start of last season, when Williams had 39pt on 16/22 from the floor and 12 rebounds - but that was a double OT game and J3 played 44 minutes.

Any other suggestions for the best individual Zag game that Clarke's compares to? Do we have to go back as far as Morrison?

Zags11
03-23-2019, 07:36 PM
Ill give Clarke best ever since it was tourny and most ever for a zag in the tournament.

raise the zag
03-23-2019, 07:36 PM
Add in a couple steals as well.

Reborn
03-23-2019, 07:41 PM
Best ever in my opinion. Unbelievable. But I think his game against Duke in the Final Four this year will beat this one. We're a long ways from that, but I really believe it's going to happen. Clarke's game tonight was better than Morant's (point guard for Murry State) game against Marquette. I was so impressed with Morant. But honestly, more impressed with Clark's game tonight. To be in a class with Shack and The Admiral from Navy with 35+ points and 5 blocks is sooooooo special, imo. Morrison was definitely able to take over a game the way Clarke did tonight, but I don't think he did it in an NCAA game like this one. Morrison has always been my favorite player, but tonight I admit that Clarke is in that same class.

Morrison hated to lose. It was written all over him, and he did unbelievable things because of this fact. Tonight Clarke stepped into Morrison's shoes. I showed how much he hates to lose, and said as much in the interview after the game when asked why he thought he played so well. He said because of the St Mary's loss. He took it personal. Every once in a while a person comes along with that special thing that makes him a star. Clarke is now a star, and his stock in the NBA rose dramatically tonight.

Good thread!

Go Zags!!!

ZagOD7540
03-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Best ever in my opinion. Unbelievable. But I think his game against Duke in the Final Four this year will beat this one. We're a long ways from that, but I really believe it's going to happen. Clarke's game tonight was better than Morant's (point guard for Murry State) game against Marquette. I was so impressed with Morant. But honestly, more impressed with Clark's game tonight. To be in a class with Shack and The Admiral from Navy with 35+ points and 5 blocks is sooooooo special, imo. Morrison was definitely able to take over a game the way Clarke did tonight, but I don't think he did it in an NCAA game like this one. Morrison has always been my favorite player, but tonight I admit that Clarke is in that same class.

Morrison hated to lose. It was written all over him, and he did unbelievable things because of this fact. Tonight Clarke stepped into Morrison's shoes. I showed how much he hates to lose, and said as much in the interview after the game when asked why he thought he played so well. He said because of the St Mary's loss. He took it personal. Every once in a while a person comes along with that special thing that makes him a star. Clarke is now a star, and his stock in the NBA rose dramatically tonight.

Good thread!

Go Zags!!!

Nice call! You just can’t teach that “will and drive to win” that players like Morrison, Sabonis, and Clarke have. Morrison said on the radio “that Clarke just made himself a lot of money”.

gonzagabasketball
03-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Wiltjer had a couple of solid games vs BYU his senior year.

LTownZag
03-23-2019, 08:05 PM
Wiltjer had a couple of solid games vs BYU his senior year.

He had 35pts VS BYU but on 31 shots.

His Junior year he scored 45 vs Pacific 34 shots - including going 8/12 from deep. (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kyle-wiltjer-1/gamelog/2015)

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-23-2019, 08:23 PM
This eclipses Sabonis’s 21-16 game against Seton Hall. Both games had a sense that we were watching a high level future pro impose his will against college players.

DixieZag
03-23-2019, 08:30 PM
This eclipses Sabonis’s 21-16 game against Seton Hall. Both games had a sense that we were watching a high level future pro impose his will against college players.

Perfect.

Zagceo
03-23-2019, 08:41 PM
:clap:https://gozags.com/images/2019/3/23/BM0A7099.JPG?width=1920&quality=80&format=jpg

sittingon50
03-23-2019, 08:53 PM
Morrison vs Sparty in Maui?

demian
03-23-2019, 09:45 PM

Good thread!

Go Zags!!!

Great post dad. Yeah Morrison is my all time fave athlete. Clarks performance tonight was unreal. Clark is an animal. He truly knows he is as good or better than any player in the country. U could see it when he played duke in november. He just has the attitude that he is superior or equal to ANY player. That supreme confidence in ones self is so critical in high pressure moments. I say this is the best performance i saw from a zag since morrison dropped 45 on the huskies in hec ed arena in a loss morrisons last year. Damn, Clark is so good.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2019, 10:16 PM
The last time the Bonus played.

LTownZag
03-23-2019, 10:30 PM
The last time the Bonus played.

Sabonis was outscored by his own teammate in his final GU game. Clarke had 17 more points, 3 more assists, 2 more steals, and played 2 fewer minutes than Sabonis vs Syracuse.

Serious question: do you entertain yourself with your constant reruns of the same half-dozen talking points and gimmicky nicknames? Because I'm not sure other forum members are as fascinated with the schtick and I hope someone is deriving enjoyment from it.

demian
03-23-2019, 10:34 PM
Sabonis was outscored by his own teammate in his final GU game. Clarke had 17 more points, 3 more assists, 2 more steals, and played 2 fewer minutes than Sabonis vs Syracuse.

Serious question: do you entertain yourself with your constant reruns of the same half-dozen talking points and gimmicky nicknames? Because I'm not sure other forum members are as fascinated with the schtick and I hope someone is deriving enjoyment from it.

Jazzdelmar is my all time favorite poster on this board for MANY years running (other than reborn, for obvious reasons)

jazzdelmar
03-23-2019, 10:41 PM

First complaint I’ve heard. You’re an official one-off, El...

jazzdelmar
03-23-2019, 10:41 PM
Jazzdelmar is my all time favorite poster on this board for MANY years running (other than reborn, for obvious reasons)

Thanks pal. You da man, as is Bornie

MDABE80
03-23-2019, 10:46 PM

I do! Lolol. Great guy is Jazz!!

Ekrub
03-23-2019, 10:47 PM

Will second this . But agree Clarke had an all time tourney performance. Vs poertle was better tbh

demian
03-23-2019, 10:51 PM
Will second this . But agree Clarke had an all time tourney performance. Vs poertle was better tbh

Well said Ekrub, Sabonis punked poertle all game long I thought in round two a few years ago

demian
03-23-2019, 10:52 PM
Thanks pal. You da man, as is Bornie

You bet buddy. Yes Bournie is da man too, as are u.

wiszag
03-24-2019, 06:06 AM
Jazz is fine, let him do his schtick, it’s amusing and he mostly knows what he’s talking about...unless he gets too far in the weeds about NYC basketball.

jazzdelmar
03-24-2019, 06:12 AM
Jazz is fine, let him do his schtick, it’s amusing and he mostly knows what he’s talking about...unless he gets too far in the weeds about NYC basketball.

Which sadly isn’t what it used to be.

DixieZag
03-24-2019, 06:17 AM

Every board needs a curmudgeon, someone who can explain why anything is negative. The law of averages is such that he's right about 1/3 of the time, my rose-colored glasses don't allow me to see it.

Having said that, if Jazz is putting Clarke in the same sentence as Sabonis, you ought to recognize that as the highest form of compliment. Jazz is also a former J-school attendee, and can write with a twinkle in the eye that is hard to recognize at first. Go read that sentence again and I suspect you might see someone making fun of himself as much as anything.

jazzdelmar
03-24-2019, 06:30 AM
1/3d? One of 3? Time for a recount Dix. On the Bonus I have no equanimity at all. Guilty as charged.

Every board needs a curmudgeon, someone who can explain why anything is negative. The law of averages is such that he's right about 1/3 of the time, my rose-colored glasses don't allow me to see it.

Having said that, if Jazz is putting Clarke in the same sentence as Sabonis, you ought to recognize that as the highest form of compliment. Jazz is also a former J-school attendee, and can write with a twinkle in the eye that is hard to recognize at first. Go read that sentence again and I suspect you might see someone making fun of himself as much as anything.

DixieZag
03-24-2019, 06:32 AM
1/3d? One of 3? Time for a recount Dix. On the Bonus I have no equanimity at all. Guilty as charged.

The blind fan right 1/3, you right 1/3, no one at all knew the real situation 1/3, sorta how I broke it down. :)

And, coming from me, 1/3 is the highest of ….

kitzbuel
03-24-2019, 06:45 AM
Morrison vs Sparty in Maui?Thank goodness Clarke didn't have to play 52 minutes like Ammo did in that game. Then again, imagine how many points Clarke would have had.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

kitzbuel
03-24-2019, 06:51 AM
The blind fan right 1/3, you right 1/3, no one at all knew the real situation 1/3, sorta how I broke it down. :)

And, coming from me, 1/3 is the highest of .Jazz is also fan of the jazz horn.

sittingon50
03-24-2019, 11:56 AM
Thank goodness Clarke didn't have to play 52 minutes like Ammo did in that game. Then again, imagine how many points Clarke would have had.

Good point kitz. Apples & oranges.

CarolinaZagFan
03-24-2019, 01:42 PM
Best individual performance I’ve ever seen from a Gonzaga player. He dominated the game on both ends of the court and I loved every second of it. Keep it up Bulldogs!

SLOZag
04-04-2019, 02:43 PM
This is about the most well researched and insightful article I've seen this year about Brandon. Read it carefully and revisit what an incredible year Brandon has given to all of us.

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/brandon-clarke-2019-nba-draft-analysis/