PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Baylor Post Game thoughts and analysis

Reborn
03-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Gonzaga 83
Baylor 71

A great victory for the Zags leading to the Sweet 16. Congrats Zags. I'm really proud of you all. Way to fight tonight. I knew that this was going to be a tough game, and very physical. Baylor looked like football players. They are one of the best rebounding teams in the Nation, and especially on the offensive boards. Zags beat them on the offensive boards 13-12, and beat them on the boards 30-27. Really proud of them. It certainly wasn't our best game this year, and we came out of halftime really flat, which over the years has been a problem for the Zags at times. We had a 20 point halftime lead and Baylor cut it to ten in about 3 or 4 minutes. It stayed just about there the rest of the game, vascilating between 8-14 points. But I was not surprised because i FELT Baylor would be tough. I will say one thing. The refs really helped Baylor stay in the game. It seemed Baylor was at the foul line a lot in the second half on knit-pickin fouls on the Zags.

I must say a bit about Brandon Clarke. Words can hardly describe his game. Just beautiful, and unbelievable. What effort. He had 36 points and 5 blocks and 9 rebounds. He broke Adam Morrison's scoring record in the NCAA Tournament single game, and it put him in a class with Shack and the Admiral, Robinson who played for Navy, scoring 36 points with 5 blocks in a single game in the NCAA Tournament. That's pretty good company.

A huge shout out to Corey Kispert for his tough, awesome play as he scored 16 points on 4-6 shooting from behind the arc. And to think that some of you GU fans wanted him benched. Just amazing. I loved his game, and Coach Few said he was the MVP of the game, and I kind of felt the same way, but on a night like this you had to give it to Brandon.

Overall I did not think we played good as a team. Rui with 6 points and Zach with 9 is just sad imo, and both played pretty bad. And Tillie had 2 points on 1-6 shooting. Had it not been for Clarke and Kispert, imo it would have been a loss. The other players played like they did against St Mary's. Accept for Josh. I thought he played well, and ran the offense fantastic. We did score 82 points thanks to Clarke and Kispert. For some reason Gonzaga is not playing good defense in the second half. I'm not sure why. I hope the coaches can figure it out. The Zags did two really good things on defense. 1. They defended the 3 point shots really well. They shot 4-21 for 19%. Baylor shot fantastic from the 3 point line against Syracuse. 2. The second point I already made which is great rebounding. I knew the Zags would need to board the way they did in order to beat Baylor and they did. Kispert and Norvell each had 7 rebounds which really helped.

Clarke was asked by the interviewer after the game why he thought he had such a great game. He said it was because of the loss to St Mary's. He just didn't want that to happen again. What a great answer. And he played like it. It wasn't just talk. He showed the world how awesome he is. I will still take him before Zion. I now think many sports fans of basketball may rethink their opinions of Brandon Clarke. I'm really happy. That was a game that in the past Gonzaga might have gotten beat. One of the analysts after the game said it first. I think it was Clark Kellogg. He said it's a pretty great team that can have their best scorer, and maybe most talked about player (Rui Hachimura), only score 6 points and spend most of the night on the bench and still win. And winning one game at a time is what it is about. Win and advance, Baby. I love Mark Few.

Go Zags!!!

ZagNative
03-23-2019, 07:31 PM
Thanks, Reborn! I always look forward to your post-game analyses! As usual, great job!

MichZagFan
03-23-2019, 07:35 PM
3 of the Zags best players had sub-par games.....and they still won by double digits. Let that fact sink in for a moment.

Go Zags!

Zags11
03-23-2019, 07:35 PM
We were up 39 to 23 at half. We took punches and were on the ropes to start 2nd half and clarke bailed us out. Its a awesome win and im glad to see us move on.

Go zags!

tinfoilzag
03-23-2019, 07:41 PM
Clarke was a cold-blooded assassin. Kispert and Tillie had their best performances of the year. Great to see GU take their runs in stride and never lose control.

Did Crandell play in the 2nd half? It's a little concerning with as poorly as Norvell was playing, few doesn't feel he can spell him with J. Jones or Crandall. We will need bodies vs. FSU.

Reborn
03-23-2019, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Reborn! I always look forward to your post-game analyses! As usual, great job!

Thanks ZagNative. You're so sweet as usual.

Reborn
03-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Did Crandell play in the 2nd half? It's a little concerning with as poorly as Norvell was playing, few doesn't feel he can spell him with J. Jones or Crandall. We will need bodies vs. FSU.

He did. He gave Josh a break. Played maybe six minutes, maybe five. Just an average game. Baylor was soooo big, he looked small. But he is tough and did okay. He did hit a three and was one for two.

HenneZag
03-23-2019, 07:49 PM
We will need all hands on deck vs FSU. Norvell and Rui both need to show up and be confident.

VinnyZag
03-23-2019, 07:55 PM
Nice to win when only two guys play well. But when one of those guys is Brandon Clarke, that's quite the equalizer. He simply wouldn't accept a loss today.

But, yeah, they're gonna need to play better on Thursday if they don't want a repeat performance against FSU.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-23-2019, 07:58 PM
...and just to let those who don't know the rule....slapping the backboard as part of a defensive play is NOT goaltending....I believe a ref can rule goaltending if in his judgement the player intentionally hits the backboard in an effort to dislodge the shot...but what Tillie did was NOT goaltending....

SorenTodd45
03-23-2019, 08:09 PM
I'm still in a daze. Brandon was amazing. That Mark Vital guy tried to play defense, it just wasn't enough.

Makai Mason was obviously hurt. He had open looks and still passed the ball. It sucks that this could be his last game; I don't see his name on any NBA mock drafts. Props to Baylor, they played their hearts out, but just could not match the Zags talent.

Therunner
03-23-2019, 08:23 PM
I'm still in a daze. Brandon was amazing. That Mark Vital guy tried to play defense, it just wasn't enough.

Makai Mason was obviously hurt. He had open looks and still passed the ball. It sucks that this could be his last game; I don't see his name on any NBA mock drafts. Props to Baylor, they played their hearts out, but just could not match the Zags talent.

agree with your post, except about Makai's open looks.

He had 30' open looks, but besides the shot over Norvell, he was contested by Perks & Zach & Geno all night.

But yes, really good player who seemed limited a bit from nagging injuries.

caduceus
03-24-2019, 01:13 AM
I think we're so used to winning by 30+ that we all seem to get freaked out when the lead is closer but still "comfortable." Per FiveThirtyEight, the win probability didn't dip below 85-90% or so for the whole game. Compare that to the other games today below. I guarantee you that Sunday some of the other one-seeds will have win probabilities much lower than what the Zags had.

https://i.imgur.com/yzDe3ic.png

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-24-2019, 02:06 AM
Nice to win when only two guys play well. But when one of those guys is Brandon Clarke, that's quite the equalizer. He simply wouldn't accept a loss today.

But, yeah, they're gonna need to play better on Thursday if they don't want a repeat performance against FSU.

Glad the coaches have several days to prep team for FSU this time around. I'm confident the Zags will shine brighter on Thursday. Kispert is playing w great confidence..best ball of his Zag career so far, and Norvell is really impacting the game regardless of his shooting; I think we see ZN have a nice shooting streak coming up.

I like that Zags just had a physicality / toughness check game vs Baylor and held their own on the glass; they will bring that same intensity from the tip vs FSU...and will need it! Baylor was great prep for the mental and physical toughness they will need to play w vs Seminoles. Thus far no more than 2 Zags have played really well in the same game; I predict we get great games from 4 Zags on Thurs..four of: Tillie, Clarke, Rui, Norvell; Kispert, Perkins will score 15+ pts and all will defend like hell. Crandall and Jones are chomping at the bit to contribute to this run, and I predict both will step up and do so this Thursday.

These Ninja shooters could all get hot in the same game: Norvell, Tillie, Kispert, Perkins, Crandall.....all five could easily give you three 3's in a game. Let's go Zags; shoot the lights out!!!

zagfan24
03-24-2019, 04:29 AM
I think we're so used to winning by 30+ that we all seem to get freaked out when the lead is closer but still "comfortable." Per FiveThirtyEight, the win probability didn't dip below 85-90% or so for the whole game. Compare that to the other games today below. I guarantee you that Sunday some of the other one-seeds will have win probabilities much lower than what the Zags had.

https://i.imgur.com/yzDe3ic.png

Wow those charts after the first game are straight out of a CBS execs nightmare.

gueastcoast
03-24-2019, 05:01 AM
I thought Snacks had a poor game and then I checked his stat line - 9 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists. And great defense as others have noted.

His shot will come, he's always been streaky. Am more worried about poor decisions with the ball, esp. when he puts it on the deck -- his handles seem to have regressed a bit the last few games -- expect the coaches will give that some focus in the coming week. It's not WCC defenses we'll be facing in Anaheim.

Ladyzag12
03-24-2019, 07:34 AM
Gonzaga 83
Baylor 71

A great victory for the Zags leading to the Sweet 16. Congrats Zags. I'm really proud of you all. Way to fight tonight. I knew that this was going to be a tough game, and very physical. Baylor looked like football players. They are one of the best rebounding teams in the Nation, and especially on the offensive boards. Zags beat them on the offensive boards 13-12, and beat them on the boards 30-27. Really proud of them. It certainly wasn't our best game this year, and we came out of halftime really flat, which over the years has been a problem for the Zags at times. We had a 20 point halftime lead and Baylor cut it to ten in about 3 or 4 minutes. It stayed just about there the rest of the game, vascilating between 8-14 points. But I was not surprised because i FELT Baylor would be tough. I will say one thing. The refs really helped Baylor stay in the game. It seemed Baylor was at the foul line a lot in the second half on knit-pickin fouls on the Zags.

I must say a bit about Brandon Clarke. Words can hardly describe his game. Just beautiful, and unbelievable. What effort. He had 36 points and 5 blocks and 9 rebounds. He broke Adam Morrison's scoring record in the NCAA Tournament single game, and it put him in a class with Shack and the Admiral, Robinson who played for Navy, scoring 36 points with 5 blocks in a single game in the NCAA Tournament. That's pretty good company.

A huge shout out to Corey Kispert for his tough, awesome play as he scored 16 points on 4-6 shooting from behind the arc. And to think that some of you GU fans wanted him benched. Just amazing. I loved his game, and Coach Few said he was the MVP of the game, and I kind of felt the same way, but on a night like this you had to give it to Brandon.

Overall I did not think we played good as a team. Rui with 6 points and Zach with 9 is just sad imo, and both played pretty bad. And Tillie had 2 points on 1-6 shooting. Had it not been for Clarke and Kispert, imo it would have been a loss. The other players played like they did against St Mary's. Accept for Josh. I thought he played well, and ran the offense fantastic. We did score 82 points thanks to Clarke and Kispert. For some reason Gonzaga is not playing good defense in the second half. I'm not sure why. I hope the coaches can figure it out. The Zags did two really good things on defense. 1. They defended the 3 point shots really well. They shot 4-21 for 19%. Baylor shot fantastic from the 3 point line against Syracuse. 2. The second point I already made which is great rebounding. I knew the Zags would need to board the way they did in order to beat Baylor and they did. Kispert and Norvell each had 7 rebounds which really helped.

Clarke was asked by the interviewer after the game why he thought he had such a great game. He said it was because of the loss to St Mary's. He just didn't want that to happen again. What a great answer. And he played like it. It wasn't just talk. He showed the world how awesome he is. I will still take him before Zion. I now think many sports fans of basketball may rethink their opinions of Brandon Clarke. I'm really happy. That was a game that in the past Gonzaga might have gotten beat. One of the analysts after the game said it first. I think it was Clark Kellogg. He said it's a pretty great team that can have their best scorer, and maybe most talked about player (Rui Hachimura), only score 6 points and spend most of the night on the bench and still win. And winning one game at a time is what it is about. Win and advance, Baby. I love Mark Few.

Go Zags!!!

I think Tillie and Rui got thrown off because of the way they were calling the game. This was a poorly officiated game. I like some of what Tillie did and the 1-3-1 zone and 3-2 zone takes away Rui getting the ball at the elbows, which is his go to spot.

willandi
03-24-2019, 08:06 AM
It was asked (in a thread that got locked) how do you beat FSU?

The front court had better than the season average. Yeah, it was mostly one guy, but the points are the same.

The back court had the season average. Sure it was Corey instead of Zach, but the points are the same.

And Tillie only had 2 with Geno adding 3. How many times would you expect the Zags bench to be held to 5 points? Is this the first time this season?

Zags just have to keep going one game at a time and finding the next man up, and they will keep winning.

23dpg
03-24-2019, 10:07 AM

He did. He gave Josh a break. Played maybe six minutes, maybe five. Just an average game. Baylor was soooo big, he looked small. But he is tough and did okay. He did hit a three and was one for two.

I was wondering the same thing about Crandall. He did not play in the second half, just rewatched.
I’m a little surprised. Any word there?

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-24-2019, 04:20 PM
After watching Baylor beat Syracuse, we knew that there were two huge keys to beating them: 1. Keep them off of the offensive glass. 2. Defend the three-point line.

Mission accomplished. We won the rebounding war handily: 39-27. That was a total team effort. Kispert and Norvell contributed 7 boards each.

We held them to 19% shooting from three-point range. 4-21. They were obviously never in synch from deep.

This game was a grinder and we won it by taking away their strengths.

SorenTodd45
04-02-2019, 08:56 AM

Very cool, I just saw Makai's name in a mock draft as a late second round pick. Even if he is a bench player, he's talented enough to help some NBA team out there. And how can you not like a white player with a Hawaiian name?

jazzdelmar
04-02-2019, 08:58 AM
Very cool, I just saw Makai's name in a mock draft as a late second round pick. Even if he is a bench player, he's talented enough to help some NBA team out there. And how can you not like a white player with a Hawaiian name?

....and one with a Yale degree.......we coulda used him even w only a Baylor degree.

ZagsObserver
04-02-2019, 12:44 PM
The game could have gone either way. No shame, though, in the way we represented. There are 4 keys that could have changed the trajectory:

1.) if reffing had been more strictly called, advantage Zags.
2.) poor start to the second half, along with several sloppy turnovers throughout. Most were from trying to dribble too much (often in the post) or passes that didn’t anticipate length.
3.) in the second half, there were significant periods where we didn’t take advantage of post mismatches.
4.) needed threes to drop to keep the defense honest.