PDA

View Full Version : Talk me off of the ledge; how do we beat FSU?

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2019, 05:35 PM
They're our kryptonite; athletic, deep and huge. I just can't see us beating them, especially if Rui and Zach are no shows again. I don't wanna go out 2 years in a row to them. How do we beat them?

krozman
03-23-2019, 05:36 PM
They do what they do. And they do it together.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Play how we've played 95% of the year.

bballbeachbum
03-23-2019, 05:37 PM
haha, I say jump and spare us all your hype

NEC26
03-23-2019, 05:37 PM
Score more points.

MJ777
03-23-2019, 05:38 PM
They're our kryptonite; athletic, deep and huge. I just can't see us beating them, especially if Rui and Zach are no shows again. I don't wanna go out 2 years in a row to them. How do we beat them?

Score more points....... How? Hopefully some of the players will find their mojo.

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2019, 05:39 PM
Score more points.

That's how we beat anyone. My question was specific to FSU, I explained why I think they beat us. I want to be wrong, dead wrong. Tell me why I will be.

caduceus
03-23-2019, 05:41 PM
Play how we've played 95% of the year.

This. FiveThirtyEight gives the Zags a 74% chance to win.

NEC26
03-23-2019, 05:41 PM
That's how we beat anyone. My question was specific to FSU, I explained why I think they beat us. I want to be wrong, dead wrong. Tell me why I will be.

Because when FSU plays good defense they struggle to score.

sittingon50
03-23-2019, 05:43 PM
Score more points.

Works a good % of the time.

thespywhozaggedme
This. FiveThirtyEight gives the Zags a 74% chance to win.

Do they have archives? What was the % in our game vs them last season?

DixieZag
The guys definitely have to play looser, and somehow we're going to need to find some outside shooting. Hopefully a few days off will get them comfortable in their own skin again, and Kispert can give FSU something to think about, real Novelle and Rui show up.

And Tillie won't start the game with 3 fouls in the first 10 mins of play.

Alum08
03-23-2019, 05:47 PM
I'll be honest, Norvell needs to bring some mojo. We're at the point now where we can't afford having him shoot 20% from deep.

caduceus
03-23-2019, 05:50 PM

72% :cool:

kylasdad
Gonzaga coaches will have a great game plan. In Few (and Lloyd, Michaelson, Daniels, etc.) I trust.

Go Zags

Zagger
As long as these Zags are breathing ..... it’s clobber FSU time.

It will help if Snax ups he’s 3 pt %. I have zip fear as Zach rises to the occasion.

If Corey has another game like today .... that’ll really seal the deal.

Clarke ...... just plain WOW. FSU won’t shut him down.

Bottom line .... FSU is not as good as the Zags. IMHO we are deeper than FSU + more determined. Josh will lead the Zags well and Geno is one heck of a backup!

Can’t wait :)

Mantua
We could beat them if about four guys who were MIA tonight show up.

gonzagafan62
03-23-2019, 05:51 PM
This game means a lot to not just Tillie, but for the entire team. I think we are poised and ready. No fear. Let’s get it!

RenoZag
03-23-2019, 05:51 PM

Spy, here's the box score:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401025874

Don't know whether 538 has archives

zagssuperfan
03-23-2019, 05:52 PM
I'll be honest, Norvell needs to bring some mojo. We're at the point now where we can't afford having him shoot 20% from deep.

20% would be an upgrade for him against real competition. He didn't hit 20% in the smc or Baylor game.

kdaleb
03-23-2019, 05:53 PM

Don’t compare us to Murray State - Morant is amazing but we have a lot more weapons. FSU can go through extended scoring droughts. We just need to keep chopping wood and then get a cushion we can ride through the times they are scoring.

gonzagafan62
03-23-2019, 05:53 PM
Let’s start with the fact we played literally six guys. Larsen and jones don’t count so much, because of their lack of minutes. That doesn’t happen again. We can easy play 8-9 guys playing meaningful minutes. If we don’t play so terrible in three point land like we did last time, I think we send a statement to the nation

RenoZag
03-23-2019, 05:56 PM

Hachimura has been AWOL too.

gonzagafan62
03-23-2019, 05:57 PM
Hachimura has been AWOL too.

Means he’s due for a huge game soon

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2019, 05:58 PM
haha, I say jump and spare us all your hype

So this post wasn't deleted but my response to it was? Seriously? Wow!

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Let’s start with the fact we played literally six guys. Larsen and jones don’t count so much, because of their lack of minutes. That doesn’t happen again. We can easy play 8-9 guys playing meaningful minutes. If we don’t play so terrible in three point land like we did last time, I think we send a statement to the nation

They play 12 guys. And Kab has turned into a star.

Sarenyon
03-23-2019, 06:01 PM
Game plan, good scout, good practice, avoid injuries, play like we have most of the year.

raise the zag
03-23-2019, 06:02 PM
Score more points....... How? Hopefully some of the players will find their mojo.

I'm confident Rui can bounce back and respond, yet pretty certain Norvell won't be able to. And I feel it's something he is keeping to himself and not telling the Coaches either, at least not until after the season. Still a factor on defense and being a great teammate, but something physical with him, while its mental with Rui.

I have a feeling this is the Norvell we are getting the rest of this season.

We have no choice but to get Rui going again, but it's up to him. Force feeding him isn't working for him or us....so it starts within. He needs to find his inner toughness/grit button and press it.

Fight or flight....and Rui is fleeing right now.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-23-2019, 06:05 PM
FSU plays 10-12 players and wears down many teams...with under 8 minutes left in the 1st half Murray State was only down 6 ....and then they were down 16 at the half....you could see that they were worn down a bit....last year the Zags were down 1 with 2 minutes left in the 1st half, went to the half down 9, you could see the difference in energy levels ...Fla State last year had 10 players play 10+ minutes in the game...with Tillie out the Zags played the starters for almost the entire game with Kispert's 18 minutes the only contribution from the bench. I would have liked to see Petrusev in this game some just to get his feet wet in the Tourney...I think he will be needed against Fla St.

RenoZag
03-23-2019, 06:06 PM
I'm a little dense tonight, what are you trying to convey by posting it? P.S. Why was beachballs post not deleted but my response to it was as was his follow up response?

Have no idea. I didn't delete it. Sorry your alma mater lost in the NIT

GeorgiaZagFan
03-23-2019, 06:07 PM
I'm confident Rui can bounce back and respond, yet pretty certain Norvell won't be able to. And I feel it's something he is keeping to himself and not telling the Coaches either, at least not until after the season. Still a factor on defense and being a great teammate, but something physical with him, while its mental with Rui.

We have no choice but to get Rui going again, but it's up to him. Force feeding him isn't working for him or us....so it starts within. He needs to find his inner toughness/grit button and press it.

I am hoping his play tonight was "strategy" so that Fla State is confused on how to defend the Zags....:confused:

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2019, 06:08 PM
Have no idea. I didn't delete it. Sorry your alma mater lost in the NIT

Ok, thanks. Very thoughtful of you, it was kinda cool having Wichita State come to Furman.

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2019, 06:09 PM
For the love of God, screw last year. Tille going out minutes before tip had a ton to do with last year. Zags need to just go out and play their game. FSU should be asking about how they can beat the Zags

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2019, 06:09 PM

What do you mean by this? Do you have an inside scoop? I thought that he was just in a slump.

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2019, 06:11 PM

i guess we should just accept the loss and forfeit.

GonzaGAW
03-23-2019, 06:13 PM
- agree we need him to step up the 3 point shooting, but lets not forget he has increased his assists per game, almost to perkins level, and he rebounds very well from his position.

MJ777
03-23-2019, 06:14 PM
What do you mean by this? Do you have an inside scoop? I thought that he was just in a slump.

Maybe he needs a slump buster. Will I get banned for this?:doh:

ZagaZags
03-23-2019, 06:15 PM

Jump!

MontanaCoyote
03-23-2019, 06:16 PM
I don’t think we beat FSU if Norvell, Perkins Hachimura and Tillie shoot 9 for 29, 31%. How to beat FSU? These guys will need to produce big time. No way Clarke will repeat today’s great performance, so the aforementioned will really need to find their game and bring their best. No one player is going to save the Zags like Clarke did tonight.

Zag’s need to fire on all eight, a total team effort to beat FSU.