PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition highlights/interviews

FuManShoes
11-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey, my post was here first! I only came back to it to add Spokesman-Review story. Now I look like a no-good reposter. This is so embarassing!

KREM on the ball ... Bouldin tweaked his ankle. Damn ...

Highlights
http://www.krem.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=190824&shu=1

Few interview
http://www.krem.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=190837&shu=1

Pargo interview
http://www.krem.com/video/featured-index.html?nvid=190835&shu=1

----------

Zags thump Emporia, Bouldin sprains ankle (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6359)
Gonzaga pulled away from a four-point halftime lead with a dominating second half en route to a 101-70 exhibition victory over feisty Emporia State on Wednesday.

The visitors, a Division II school from Kansas, gave GU fits in the first half, getting open looks from the perimeter and knocking down eight 3-pointers. Gonzaga limited the Hornets to 39.1 percent shooting in the second half.

GU guard Matt Bouldin sprained his ankle in the second half and didn't return. Click below for an unedited game story.

Several accomplished men’s basketball programs across the nation have had troubles dealing with NCAA Division II opponents over the last week.
In the first half Wednesday, Gonzaga experienced similar difficulties against D-II Emporia State.

The second half was a different story as GU contained the Hornets’ perimeter-based offense, handled the visitors on the glass and pulled away for a 101-70 exhibition victory in front of 6,000 at the McCarthey Athletic Center.

The Zags led just 47-43 at half after allowing eight 3-pointers and repeatedly getting beat down the floor in transition, but GU doubled up Emporia State 54-27 in the final 20 minutes.

“We had to do a better job of sprinting back because Jeremy (Pargo) was back there like a hockey goalie and he’s got to pick up that point guard (DeAndre Townsend) and he’s a heck of a player,” Bulldogs coach Mark Few said. “We were just a little casual with our transition defense. If you’re casual against them, they don’t wait around for you.”

The game doesn’t count on the Bulldogs’ record, but the next one will. Montana, one of the preseason favorites in the Big Sky Conference, visits the Kennel to open GU’s season Sunday at 1.

The biggest question leading up to Sunday is the health of sophomore guard Matt Bouldin. He rolled his ankle in the second half and didn’t return.

“They said I did something to a ligament, but I’ll be all right,” Bouldin said. “I’ve got to keep the swelling down. I just have to get it healed up for Sunday.”

Bouldin starts at off guard and also serves as the primary backup to Pargo at the point. True freshman Steven Gray is GU’s next option if Bouldin isn’t able to play.

Senior forward David Pendergraft also left for part of the second half after getting poked near his eye as he tried to retrieve a rebound. He eventually returned and was one of six Zags to score in double figures. The cut required a couple of stitches.

Pargo fed Abdullahi Kuso for a dunk and added a layup as GU opened the second half with a 9-0 run. The Hornets, who cooled to 39.1 percent shooting in the second half after hitting 48.6 in the first, pulled within eight but GU responded with a 14-6 spurt.

“We played smarter defense,” Pargo said. “We weren’t losing guys in transition and we were getting hands up on some of their shooters _ just the things we talked about before the game.”

Freshman Austin Daye topped GU with 17 points, including two dunks in the final five minutes that generated the loudest ovations of the night. Freshman Robert Sacre added 11 points, nine in the second half. Gray scored four points in 16 minutes. J.C. transfer Ira Brown, the fourth newcomer, grabbed four boards in limited time.

“We’ve got a lot of guys, it’s just the way it is,” said Few, who utilized 12 players. “Right now guys are playing better than (Brown).”

As expected, Josh Heytvelt played five minutes as he slowly returns from a foot injury. He scored four points and was called for goal-tending twice.

Townsend and guard Wes Book combined for six 3-pointers and 34 points, but only 11 after intermission.

“I’m expecting some defensive drills (at practice) but coach Few always has us doing defensive drills,” Daye said. “We gave up 70 points, but we forced 20 turnovers and we only had 11, so that was a lot more possessions for us.”

zaguarxj
11-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the links. My favorite part was the little smile that broke out on Daye's face after his break-away reverse slam.

Oregon Zag
11-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks, Fu.

I enjoyed the game video. I struggled to get every little nuance out of it that I could. It's like being on a diet and staring at a chocolate bar! I just want to be in K2.