PDA

View Full Version : Great S-R article on Norvell's defense today

CDC84
03-22-2019, 12:32 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/mar/21/zach-norvell-jr-gonzaga-guards-kick-on-their-defen/

This was a guy who was considered to be a terrible defender last season. In fact, as S-R columnist Vince Grippi said, Norvell was isolated regularly last season.

A hidden factor in GU's demolition of FD was Norvell's defense on Darnell Edge, FD's leading scorer, who scored a career high 33 in their first 4 win. Norvell was challenged by Few, who held Edge to 7, including one three pointer that LeBron couldn't have defended

sheps001
03-22-2019, 12:53 AM
With Snacks playing D and Tillie healthy and everything else as it should,we can go real deep, again.

Reborn
03-22-2019, 06:35 AM
A really good article, and I agree with it completely. There was some criticism of Norvell here on the Board yesterday, and I almost responded toit because the writers of those kinds of posts are blind to basketball. What I saw was what the author of the article saw, Norvell having one of his best games. And yes, all of our guards really clapped down on defense yesterday. In fact the whole team did. Holding that team to 17 points the first half was a work of art, simply beautiful to watch (especially if your a fan who likes defense).

What also needs to be noted is Norvell's passing yesterday. 7 assists. It may have been his best passing effort this year. Norvell IS tough. If you can't see that you miss something special about him. At the beginning of the year I felt that the Zags biggest need was to replace Melson because Silas is so tough on D,and had an all around toughness about him. I no longer worry about that because Norvell is doing what Silas did, and has more offense than Silas did. Zach will be a big factor as the Zags continue to go forward toward the Sweet Sixteen.

Go Zags!!!

bballbeachbum
03-22-2019, 06:43 AM
nice article. been touting his improved defense all season :)
nice to see him recognized for it instead of just as an offensive player. he's become a much more complete player this season, more mature. will need that tomorrow

webspinnre
03-22-2019, 08:16 AM
If Norvell can continue to make these kinds of improvements, I can't wait to see what we get out of him next year. Love the hard work he's put in.