PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs FDU Post Game thoughts and analysis

Reborn
03-21-2019, 06:50 PM
Gonzaga 87
FDU 49

GREAT GAME! Just what the doctor ordered. They really looked and played like champions tonight. Coaches really had them ready, and the players came out ready. Great game by everyone imo. The game never was close. The Zags held them to 17 points in the first half and scored 53 themselves.

Rui led scorers with 21. Killian Tillie followed with 17. Tillie had a great game. He was 2-2 from behind the 3 point line. His best game of the year. Clarke had 14 and nine rebounds. He also had 3 blocks. The team had 6 total blocks which was pretty good. Norvell had 11 and Crandall 10. That's five guys in double figures. The Zags had 22 assists with Norvell tossing 7 of them. I also thought Crandall played another really good game. He was hitting from behind the 3 point line, knocking down two of three.

This was a great start to the tournament. Keep it up, Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!

krozman
03-21-2019, 06:55 PM
Ya. Before they were up by 20 it was just amazing and efficient dominant basketball. After we were up by 20 we started playing silly a bit, but whtchagonnado.

SorenTodd45
03-21-2019, 07:08 PM
Tillie was hurt all year? Sure didn't seem like it tonight, he had an amazing game. We need him to shut Dolezaj and Chukwu down on Saturday.

zagzilla
03-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Largest margin of victory for GU in a tourney game?

sheps001
03-21-2019, 07:10 PM
Noticed that too. Got to maintain focus. It wont work at the rounds get tougher

ZagsObserver
03-21-2019, 07:14 PM
Missed the game. How did Perkins look?

Hoopaholic
03-21-2019, 07:15 PM

Solid
Shot looked good
Worked hard on defense

Zagsker
03-21-2019, 07:16 PM
Noticed that too. Got to maintain focus. It wont work at the rounds get tougher

Getting sloppy comes with BIG leads...give me BIG leads and I will take the after slop

rennis
03-21-2019, 07:24 PM

ironic post

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2019, 07:31 PM
ironic post

Zagssecondhandobserver

raise the zag
03-21-2019, 07:57 PM
Great game all around.

It was nice to see us with 20+ assists as a team again. We are at our best sharing the ball.

Pretty certain we didn't play/prep vs much zone in practice this week. While we dominated in transition and simply out sizing them everywhere, we looked flustered vs zone. Rui made a nice drive or two vs zone, otherwise played on our heels at times when they went to 2-3.

Tillie looked like our best overall player. I hope to see it carry over, and keep using his passing ability to carve up the zone. Not to mention, his shooting ability. So smooth, quick, confident. I think every shot of his is going in.

Clarke was a beast on the boards in pretty limited mins too. Kinda tweaked his hand on a hard dunk but seems fine. Sometimes he looks a bit lost when paired with Tillie for some reason, but just so important for us in terms of rim protection, athleticism, toughness.

Rui missed everything early but pressed on and made plays without shooting. He finally posted up again! Only 1 beautiful turn around but was huge for me. Been worried he went full time face up, which is great for versatility yet somewhat slows down our offense. He played tough and aggressive, which was nice to see him re engaged.

Kispert played one of his best defensive games in his GU career. He fouled out but made good decisions, still missing more 3's than making them. Will need all hands on deck vs Cuse zone, so hope he finds his stroke again. Good high effort game per usual. I do feel the Syracuse offense might fluster him as they live on their big guards and wings dribbling and kicking back out for 3pt shots or dribble drives. Hasn't contained this style very well, see UNC. Jones could play a big role on Saturday.

Norvell played a solid team game tonight. Hit his 1st 3, then went cold, yet ended up hitting another one late. I'm fine as he will step up, but I am concerned about his dribble drive handles and game. It's been lacking in recent wks. Is he dealing with something effecting his explosion or confidence in the lane? Doesn't seem to be anything yet can't figure out what happened to hos handles and moxy getting to the rim. He has preferred to launch 3's or immediately give it up when driivng, or losing his handle.

Perkins played a nice game I thought. He was locked in defensively. Probably took the last game personal as he was abused by SMC guards. He took care of the ball, hit some shots, & got the ball moving on offense. Setting the table, serving the food, just not eating very much himself...our team is much better the more he runs the show.

Nothing to complain about except our limited run vs their zone. We focused in on FDU, and that is what you're supposed to do, yet I hope we develop a better game plan for Saturday's matchup with Syracuse.

raise the zag
03-21-2019, 07:58 PM
Largest margin of victory for GU in a tourney game?

Yes. It was 27pts before tonight

Who did we beat by that amount? Iowa? Utah? Can't recall when or who...

gueastcoast
03-21-2019, 08:02 PM
Great game all around.

It was nice to see us with 20+ assists as a team again. We are at our best sharing the ball.

Prettt certain we didn't practice vs much zone in practice this week. While we dominated in transition and simply out sizing them everywhere, we looked flustered vs zone. Rui made a nice drive or two vs zone, otherwise played on our heels at times when they went to 2-3.

Tillie looked like our best overall player. I hope to see it carry over, and keep using his passing ability to carve up the zone. Not to mention, his shooting ability. So smooth, quick, confident. I think every shot of his is going in.

Clarke was a beast on the boards in pretty limited mins too. Kinda tweaked his hand on a hard dunk but seems fine. Sometimes he looks a bit lost when paired with Tillie for some reason, but just so important for us in terms of rim protection, athleticism, toughness.

Rui missed everything early but pressed on and made plays without shooting. He finally posted up again! Only 1 beautiful turn around but was huge for me. Been worried he went full time face up, which is great for versatility yet somewhat slows down our offense. He played tough and aggressive, which was nice to see him re engaged.

Kispert played one of his best defensive games in his GU career. He fouled out but made good decisions, still missing more 3's than making them. Will need all hands on deck vs Cuse zone, so hope he finds his stroke again. Good high effort game per usual. I do feel the Syracuse offense might fluster him as they live on their big guards and wings dribbling and kicking back out for 3pt shots or dribble drives. Hasn't contained this style very well, see UNC. Jones could play a big role on Saturday.

Norvell played a solid team game tonight. Hit his 1st 3, then went cold, yet ended up hitting another one late. I'm fine as he will step up, but I am concerned about his dribble drive handles and game. It's been lacking in recent wks. Is he dealing with something effecting his explosion or confidence in the lane? Doesn't seem to be anything yet can't figure out what happened to hos handles and moxy getting to the rim. He has preferred to launch 3's or immediately give it up when driivng, or losing his handle.

Perkins played a nice game I thought. He was locked in defensively. Probably took the last game personal as he was abused by SMC guards. He took care of the ball, hit some shots, & got the ball moving on offense. Setting the table, serving the food, just not eating very much himself...our team is much better the more he runs the show.

Nothing to complain about except our limited run vs their zone. We focused in on FDU, and that is what you're supposed to do, yet I hope we develop a better game plan for Saturday's matchup with Syracuse.

Great summary.

Would add a shout out for Crandall as well. Geno hitting two threes and making double figures in the flow of the offense has to be great for his confidence, which we may well need down the line.

raise the zag
03-21-2019, 08:14 PM
Great summary.

Would add a shout out for Crandall as well. Geno hitting two threes and making double figures in the flow of the offense has to be great for his confidence, which we may well need down the line.

This is a great point.

His lock down defense flustered their guards too.

Maybe some really atheltic plays, jumping up to secure some rebounds and layups.

He must have a 40" vertical, the kid can fly when he needs to

rennis
03-21-2019, 08:17 PM
next game thoughts: Norvelle is going to have to make one of these zones pay the price

Nevada Don
03-21-2019, 08:22 PM
Take up the cudgel for the WCC as you normally do with our full support and respect,
Go Zags !!!!

ZagOD7540
03-21-2019, 08:33 PM
This is a great point.

His lock down defense flustered their guards too.

Maybe some really atheltic plays, jumping up to secure some rebounds and layups.

He must have a 40" vertical, the kid can fly when he needs to

He also got called for some really “cheap” fouls. He had a couple of great wrap arounds to poke the ball away, but got whistled for it. He always brings great energy when he comes in.

Zag365
03-21-2019, 08:35 PM
Had to follow using gamecast on ESPN website. For anyone who was there (or was watching live TV): How was the crowd? Both percentage of GU fans and how loud they were. I assume we'll be the crowd favorite on Saturday no matter whether we face 'Cuse or Baylor, no?

hooter73
03-21-2019, 09:21 PM
Stupid gamer Tillie looked like a college player ready for the next level...

jim77
03-21-2019, 10:06 PM
Nobody wants the Zags....NOBODY. BU goes down by 12.

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2019, 10:14 PM
next game thoughts: Norvelle is going to have to make one of these zones pay the price

No “e” on the end

Zaga
03-22-2019, 05:42 AM
Tillie was hurt all year? Sure didn't seem like it tonight, he had an amazing game. We need him to shut Dolezaj and Chukwu down on Saturday.

Baylor showed they can all shoot the three. All hands on deck for this game. Great game Tills...

Go Zags

Birddog
03-22-2019, 06:45 AM
I thought Kispert played his best "D" of the year. I think he moved his feet really well and blocked out well too. Norvell and Tillie were outstanding too.

I'm not a fan of Lappas, but I thought he and Catalano did a really good job of announcing, not an easy task in a blowout and when you have a personal interest story involved like Lappas did. Remember Dakich in similar circumstances?

I also thought the studio crew (Kellogg I think) made a great analogy to the SMC loss referring to it as "smelling salts".

bballbeachbum
03-22-2019, 06:54 AM
Georgetown style first round beat down

gueastcoast
03-22-2019, 06:58 AM
I thought Kispert played his best "D" of the year. I think he moved his feet really well and blocked out well too. Norvell and Tillie were outstanding too.

I'm not a fan of Lappas, but I thought he and Catalano did a really good job of announcing, not an easy task in a blowout and when you have a personal interest story involved like Lappas did. Remember Dakich in similar circumstances?

I also thought the studio crew (Kellogg I think) made a great analogy to the SMC loss referring to it as "smelling salts".

Good recall on the Dakich episode. He's insufferable in the best of circumstances and was even worse then.

Zagger
03-22-2019, 07:25 AM
Tillie :)

Thatís my main post game thought. What a roster!!!

demian
03-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Yes. It was 27pts before tonight

Who did we beat by that amount? Iowa? Utah? Can't recall when or who...

Iím gonna say it was Valparaiso the first year we were a #2 seed donít recall what year it was but Blake stepp and that crew were seniors I think

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-22-2019, 11:37 AM
Tillie :)

Thatís my main post game thought. What a roster!!!

Yeah, Tillie moving much better and getting his athleticism back...not to mention his mid-range game and deep shooting. He and Crandall played great..best game of year for Tillie, obviously, and at least best offensive game of year for Crandall. These two bringing better scoring punch off the bench + Jones and Petrusev can contribute = pretty nice depth Zags have!!!