PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse starting pt guard suspended

IdahoTJR
03-21-2019, 07:39 AM
Will not play today and might not even be in SLC

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/acc/2019/03/20/syracuse-frank-howard-suspended-indefinitely-miss-ncaa-tournament-game-baylor/3228686002/

scrooner
03-21-2019, 07:54 AM
How badly does this hurt their chances today? Will we end up playing Baylor instead?

Zagger
03-21-2019, 07:56 AM
How badly does this hurt their chances today? Will we end up playing Baylor instead?

I have Baylor winning in my bracket :)

ZagOD7540
03-21-2019, 07:57 AM
I guarantee you he plays Saturday.

scrooner
03-21-2019, 08:00 AM
Pretty sure you can't guarantee that, unless you're meeting him for a pickup game.

raise the zag
03-21-2019, 08:07 AM
I guarantee you he plays Saturday.

this.

Most Syracuse fans aren't heartbroken over this, they like his backup better and using Tyus Battle at PG. They feel their offense operates more smoothly without Howard, as it did early in the season when he was out with injury.

He is a very good defensive player at the top of their zone, yet offensively he shoots 34% FG, very streaky, and TO prone. Forces dribble drive action to nowhere, and doesn't play well UNLESS Tyus Battle is out of the lineup (they share the same position). With Battle back, they feel it could be a blessing in disguise for their offense.

Some feel they wish it would have happened sooner, yet some also expect him back by Rd of 32, even saying he's flying in to SLC later tonight as he's not currently with the team.

gueastcoast
03-21-2019, 08:18 AM
Whether he plays Saturday (assuming they win today), or doesn't play at all, I think it's a reach to think a player being suspended on the eve of the tournament is a positive for them.

I've no interest in speculating what a "violation of athletic department policy" may be, but can't imagine a suspension of this type coming when it did is good for team morale or cohesion.

My two cents.

CB4
03-21-2019, 08:20 AM
Reports say failed drug test

http://dailyorange.com/2019/03/syracuse-senior-frank-howard-suspended-failed-drug-test-3-familiar-situation-say/

Zagger
03-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Reports say failed drug test
http://dailyorange.com/2019/03/syracuse-senior-frank-howard-suspended-failed-drug-test-3-familiar-situation-say/

Your linked story says this ....

The penalty for failing an NCAA test related to a performance-enhancing drug means a student-athlete loses one full year of eligibility for a first offense, according to the NCAA. Tampering with an NCAA drug test results in a student-athlete being declared ineligible for participation in postseason competition. Not showing up for an NCAA drug test, or refusing to provide a sample, results in the same penalty as a positive drug test result for a PED.

Drug abuse, if that’s what it is, can sure alter a person’s life - and those around them. I hope this situation has a good ending.

raise the zag
03-21-2019, 08:38 AM
They still have what makes them tick: long, athletic, bouncy, mobile forwards, an imposing center, and electric guard up top.

I still expect them to beat Baylor.

Syrcasuse fans don't see broken up over it whatsoever. They say more time for their young talented freshman guards who are both better shooters.

FlyZag
03-21-2019, 08:45 AM
I read that a positive "recreational drug" test = 50% of season suspension. PED = 1 yr suspension.

Either way, he's not playing on Saturday (If they win). I have Baylor winning.

CDC84
03-21-2019, 02:48 PM
It is a team distraction, however.

jazzdelmar
03-21-2019, 03:19 PM
It’s not like losing Bernie fine

CDC84
03-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Or your elite recruiting class :)

bballbeachbum
03-21-2019, 06:45 PM
It is a team distraction, however.