PDA

View Full Version : News about the EWWW

primal23
11-07-2007, 09:35 PM
http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/uwsports/2007/11/07/no_huskies_zags_expected_anytime_soon

then this link fits in well...:lmao:
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=4246

JAGzag
11-08-2007, 02:45 AM
"I think most people would like to see the (Gonzaga) series continue. If there’s a way that we can work it out sometime down the road, I think we should at least try.”

I'm no coach, but I would recommend you stop sucking...

kitzbuel
11-08-2007, 03:03 AM
Read: "We prefer to be beaten like a rented mule by LSU rather than by Gonzaga. We don't feel so bad afterwards."

zagsdan86
11-08-2007, 05:46 AM
Read: "We prefer to be beaten like a rented mule by LSU rather than by Gonzaga. We don't feel so bad afterwards."

To be fair, the Huskies beat LSU last year, and it wasn't even a close game. Just saying...

mdZag23
11-08-2007, 07:31 AM
The part about it that is just pure comedy is the fact that they say they "can't work it out"...

There are teams that we would do just about anything possible to get them on the schedule and I know there are teams around the country who feel the same way about playing us.

As they say, if there is a will, there is a way! When you look at that athletic department it screams of NO WILL! Which would explain why it doesn't happen.

GoZags
11-08-2007, 07:46 AM
FWIW, Coach Romar attended and spoke at a breakfast in Seattle yesterday. According to one of the attendees, he said, unsolicited that now that the home and homes with LSU and Pitt are nearly over they would be looking at re-starting the Gonzaga series.

I wasn't there, but the source is very reliable.

Let the drubbings continue!

Chicken Ball
11-08-2007, 08:01 AM
I think maybe GU should try to playa more national schedule...

23dpg
11-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Personally, I hope we don't play them any more. I know I'm probably in the minority but I tend to work that way.

kitzbuel
11-08-2007, 08:19 AM
I think I see what you mean. We have gotten a lot of mileage out of their running from us.

lawzag
11-08-2007, 08:58 AM
I agree with you 23. I think we need to schedule national teams that will help our RPI and provide stronger competition ... :D

(gee, I seem to have heard something similar before.....)

MDABE80
11-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Romar/Turner cannot......no it's impossible.....to run a bigtime program when they get beat by a small school in E WA......called Gonzaga, EWU or anything! They HAD to stop it!. Bad for recruiting, bad for scheduling other teams, bad for perception......bad for just about everything. I don't look for them to be on GU's schedule for a long time........5 years or more minimum.
Of course they claim that Pitt, LSU etc more than make up for GU but it's just not true. An old adage says that if you can't control your own backyard, you just can't control anything.

What's happened and will continue to happen is this: WSU and GU will continue to clobber the Huskies.....WSU on the court and GU in the minds of fans. Romar and Turner's plan for the Huskies will backfire. They'll get the other, "more visible" teams to play them but only because the other "more visible" programs will feast on them. Until the fans don't come to the games because of losses will something be done.

Everyone knows Romar won with Bender's recruits. Roy was the last of em. See what happened last year?....no NIT and no NCAA invites. It could get worse. Lots of talent but lack of development of both the program and the kids in it. Like any politician, Romar and others will blame the excellence of the PAC 10 for keeping them 7th or 8th. What kind of logic!! UW has every chance the other schools have to be excellent too...they have the money ( ours), they have the players, they have the attractive city and they have major facilities. To make himself and the UW program look good, he'll have to cherrypick his opponents. He can unpick GU but he can't unpick WSU. Worse than a "zero sum game". He looked like a chicken running away and now he'll get creamed by WSU. But at least he can say he didn't get beat by GU again. Logistically, it just wasn't smart and denigrates the spirit of collegiate athletics IMHO.

zagfan07
11-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't GU turn in UW for recruiting violations a few years ago when they were going after Josh? I remember last year when people were talking about the rivalry not being renewed, that reason was cited a few times. Is that still a possibility, or has it been dismissed? However, it still doesn't change the fact that they're scared to play us and are sick of getting beat by a better in-state program.

GoZags
11-08-2007, 11:02 AM
"Correct me if I'm wrong...."
---------------------
You are 20% correct. There were 5 programs involved in going to the NCAA when Romar ignored reports (from his coaching brethren) about Cameron Dollar's transgressions.

http://robots.cnnsi.com/basketball/college/news/2002/10/02/dollar_suspended_ap/

In addition to EWU; GU and WSU (mentioned in the attached CNNSI article) North Carolina (re: Marvin Williams) and ASU (Evans in support of WSU's Paul Graham) were also involved in the reporting and investigation.