• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

A lot of talking heads are picking FSU over us

On tv and radio, many are saying that Florida State poses a real matchup threat for us and I'm inclined to agree.
  • Kong-Kool-Aid
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2009

ESPN's college basketball contributors have filled out their brackets and made their selections for the 2019 NCAA tournament. Here's a look at all of the Final Four predictions, as well as our group's picks to win the national championship.

Here's the full breakdown of picks from all 29 of our contributors:

EAST: Duke 24, Michigan State 4, Virginia Tech 1

WEST: Gonzaga 14, Michigan 7, Texas Tech 5, Buffalo 1, Florida State 1, Murray State 1

SOUTH: Virginia 18, Tennessee 10, Villanova 1

MIDWEST: North Carolina 15, Kentucky 12, Houston 2

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Duke 15, Gonzaga 5, Virginia 4, North Carolina 3, Kentucky 1, Michigan State 1

Comment

• basketballzag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
      On tv and radio, many are saying that Florida State poses a real matchup threat for us and I'm inclined to agree.

These three talking heads on CBS don't even think the Gonzaga makes it past Syracuse.

Comment

• Saxon_zag
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

These long ACC teams are bad matchups for us - Can cause big problems for our guards. Namely Perk. I don't like being right in this case but called out wanting to avoid these 2 teams in this thread a couple weeks back. FSU is the worse 4/5 seed we could have seen there. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...g-in-the-Dance

Comment

• Goshzagit
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2007

As we witnessed when FSU played Virginia the other day, Florida St poses a problem for ANY team they play. They smacked Virginia around, and looked like the better team from top to bottom. A Top-10 defense and Top 2 scoring transition offense, and defense as well.

They played Duke at full strength twice this season and lost by a total of 12 pts combined. They beat 'Cuse by 20, they beat Top 10 LSU, Top 15 Purdue, Top 20 Va Tech, Top 25 Louisville, beat Florida by 20....ok the more I type the more I wonder how the F are they a #4 seed?? They beat a 1 seed, 3 seed, 4 seed, etc.

Just look at their attribues -- Top 3 tallest team, longest, and deepest by bench minutes and production.

The other #4 seeds are:

K-State, Va Tech, & Kansas. Florida St would likely beat all 3 of those teams, and be favored in each game. They went 2-0 vs Va Tech this year as well.

Florida St frontcourt goes: 7'4", 268lbs (center), 6'10", 250lbs (PF), 6'8", 230lbs (SF)

Gonzaga froncourt goes: 6'8", 220lbs (center), 6'8", 230lbs (PF), 6'6", 215lbs (SF)

Those are tough match-ups no matter how you slice it. Also, FSU's SG is 6'7", 215lbs, and their leading rebounder. Often times, Norvell outsizes our SG competition, not this time. We will have to run around their bigs, spread the floor, hit 3pt shots, and force them to guard us in half-court. Hopefully we learned last season -- do not try to match their transition game, and hockey line depth. FSU excels with fast, free, hectic play. We tried to match their patented transition and full court game.

We made our comeback when we ran offense, slowed it down (a bit), and forced FSU to defend our action. Otherwise, it will be block city, and getting dunked on....as Virginia did. Even Duke did, until Zion said no more of this.

Both FSU and Syracuse are the rare types of teams who can truly beat any team at any time. They are unique, no team like them, impossible to prepare for, and ridiculously difficult style of play to score against.

Comment

• NEC26
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

After looking at all the brackets over and over the west is the best region top to bottom. Which shows in the diversity of picks for the west region. Lot of talent there. I think this might have factored into why Michigan is in the west and not MSU.
            The east is really light after Duke MSU.

Comment

• strikenowhere
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2009

Yeah I remember the FSU game from last year, but I also remember "Press" Virginia from 2017 and how supposedly tough they were as a matchup, yet who won that game? Last year Tillie was pulled at game-time, much to the shock of the entire team. They had no time to gameplan Tillie being out of the lineup, as they were forced to rely on Rui to pick up the extra minutes. Additionally the Zags had to rely on Norvell as the backup ball-handler, which isn't the case this year with Crandall filling the spot. Finally, assuming that both teams make it to the Sweet 16, Few and the boys are going to have several days to come up with a gameplan, unlike last year where they were the 2nd game in two days.

Comment

• gu03alum
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I'm most worried about Texas Tech - #1 defensive team in the nation
                Bring back the OCC

Comment

• FlyZag
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Nov 2007

Beat FDU!

Comment

• Zagger
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2008

Well, if the Zags are going to win the Nat Championship they've got to be able to beat every D1 team in the nation - not just by the guys but by Few too. I'd rather see FSU early on than in the Championship game. If the Zags can paste them early so much the better for putting fear in the hearts of those the Zags face afterwards. I also figure that FSU isn't all that interested in having to play us. I feel the Zags are a team that can make FSU look bad. We sure didn't make Duke look so hot early in the season and they were pretty hyped up back then by the 'talking heads'. Yes, most teams are better teams now. So are the Zags. And .... we have Tillie back. Bring on the competition!

Comment

• ZagzKrak
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Apr 2016

FSU is a tough match up for sure but I think we have a great shot to get by them if everyone is healthy. I'm a little more worried about us getting another S. Curry moment if Murray St. advances. Another smaller school guard wanting to show he can play with the big dogs.

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2015

Entirely accurate to spot FSU, T Tech and Virginia as tough, real tough match ups for the Zags. Many of our own posters
                        have been taking this line for some time now, including myself at least on FSU.
                        Nothing New! Given: Zags will have to Adjust to beat these kinds of teams. Question: Can they? Didn’t against SMC.
                        Lesson Learned?

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2008

Not saying these games aren’t going to be tough, but this Zags team is more athletic than any other team we’ve had. We can match up with an FSU physically and out-skill them where it counts. Staying out of foul trouble will be key, but if Tills stays healthy we should prevail.
                          It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• FlyZag
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme
                            Yes because what we post on a message board has a direct correlation to what occurs on the court
                            My point was, "one game at a time". I personally don't think we will be facing FSU. I think we face Marquette. So why worry about FSU. Rather let's focus on FDU. The team we KNOW we are playing.

Comment

• gu03alum
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagger View Post
                              Well, if the Zags are going to win the Nat Championship they've got to be able to beat every D1 team in the nation - not just by the guys but by Few too. I'd rather see FSU early on than in the Championship game. If the Zags can paste them early so much the better for putting fear in the hearts of those the Zags face afterwards. I also figure that FSU isn't all that interested in having to play us. I feel the Zags are a team that can make FSU look bad. We sure didn't make Duke look so hot early in the season and they were pretty hyped up back then by the 'talking heads'. Yes, most teams are better teams now. So are the Zags. And .... we have Tillie back. Bring on the competition!
                              Agree, not having Tillie with no time to game plan was a huge reason Gonzaga lost that game
                              Bring back the OCC

Comment

Working...
                              X