PDA

View Full Version : A lot of talking heads are picking FSU over us

thespywhozaggedme
03-20-2019, 08:57 AM
On tv and radio, many are saying that Florida State poses a real matchup threat for us and I'm inclined to agree.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-20-2019, 08:59 AM
ESPN's college basketball contributors have filled out their brackets and made their selections for the 2019 NCAA tournament. Here's a look at all of the Final Four predictions, as well as our group's picks to win the national championship.

Here's the full breakdown of picks from all 29 of our contributors:

EAST: Duke 24, Michigan State 4, Virginia Tech 1

WEST: Gonzaga 14, Michigan 7, Texas Tech 5, Buffalo 1, Florida State 1, Murray State 1

SOUTH: Virginia 18, Tennessee 10, Villanova 1

MIDWEST: North Carolina 15, Kentucky 12, Houston 2

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Duke 15, Gonzaga 5, Virginia 4, North Carolina 3, Kentucky 1, Michigan State 1

basketballzag
03-20-2019, 09:02 AM
On tv and radio, many are saying that Florida State poses a real matchup threat for us and I'm inclined to agree.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2019-ncaa-tournament-bracket-west-regional-march-madness-predictions-upsets-players-to-watch/

These three talking heads on CBS don't even think the Gonzaga makes it past Syracuse.

Saxon_zag
03-20-2019, 09:11 AM
These long ACC teams are bad matchups for us - Can cause big problems for our guards. Namely Perk. I don't like being right in this case but called out wanting to avoid these 2 teams in this thread a couple weeks back. FSU is the worse 4/5 seed we could have seen there. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?65087-Advancing-in-the-Dance

Goshzagit
03-20-2019, 09:20 AM
As we witnessed when FSU played Virginia the other day, Florida St poses a problem for ANY team they play. They smacked Virginia around, and looked like the better team from top to bottom. A Top-10 defense and Top 2 scoring transition offense, and defense as well.

They played Duke at full strength twice this season and lost by a total of 12 pts combined. They beat 'Cuse by 20, they beat Top 10 LSU, Top 15 Purdue, Top 20 Va Tech, Top 25 Louisville, beat Florida by 20....ok the more I type the more I wonder how the F are they a #4 seed?? They beat a 1 seed, 3 seed, 4 seed, etc.

Just look at their attribues -- Top 3 tallest team, longest, and deepest by bench minutes and production.

The other #4 seeds are:

K-State, Va Tech, & Kansas. Florida St would likely beat all 3 of those teams, and be favored in each game. They went 2-0 vs Va Tech this year as well.

Florida St frontcourt goes: 7'4", 268lbs (center), 6'10", 250lbs (PF), 6'8", 230lbs (SF)

Gonzaga froncourt goes: 6'8", 220lbs (center), 6'8", 230lbs (PF), 6'6", 215lbs (SF)

Those are tough match-ups no matter how you slice it. Also, FSU's SG is 6'7", 215lbs, and their leading rebounder. Often times, Norvell outsizes our SG competition, not this time. We will have to run around their bigs, spread the floor, hit 3pt shots, and force them to guard us in half-court. Hopefully we learned last season -- do not try to match their transition game, and hockey line depth. FSU excels with fast, free, hectic play. We tried to match their patented transition and full court game.

We made our comeback when we ran offense, slowed it down (a bit), and forced FSU to defend our action. Otherwise, it will be block city, and getting dunked on....as Virginia did. Even Duke did, until Zion said no more of this.

Both FSU and Syracuse are the rare types of teams who can truly beat any team at any time. They are unique, no team like them, impossible to prepare for, and ridiculously difficult style of play to score against.

NEC26
03-20-2019, 09:20 AM
After looking at all the brackets over and over the west is the best region top to bottom. Which shows in the diversity of picks for the west region. Lot of talent there. I think this might have factored into why Michigan is in the west and not MSU.
The east is really light after Duke MSU.

strikenowhere
03-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Yeah I remember the FSU game from last year, but I also remember "Press" Virginia from 2017 and how supposedly tough they were as a matchup, yet who won that game? Last year Tillie was pulled at game-time, much to the shock of the entire team. They had no time to gameplan Tillie being out of the lineup, as they were forced to rely on Rui to pick up the extra minutes. Additionally the Zags had to rely on Norvell as the backup ball-handler, which isn't the case this year with Crandall filling the spot. Finally, assuming that both teams make it to the Sweet 16, Few and the boys are going to have several days to come up with a gameplan, unlike last year where they were the 2nd game in two days.

gu03alum
03-20-2019, 09:27 AM
I'm most worried about Texas Tech - #1 defensive team in the nation

FlyZag
03-20-2019, 09:34 AM
Beat FDU!

Zagger
03-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Well, if the Zags are going to win the Nat Championship they've got to be able to beat every D1 team in the nation - not just by the guys but by Few too. I'd rather see FSU early on than in the Championship game. If the Zags can paste them early so much the better for putting fear in the hearts of those the Zags face afterwards. I also figure that FSU isn't all that interested in having to play us. I feel the Zags are a team that can make FSU look bad. We sure didn't make Duke look so hot early in the season and they were pretty hyped up back then by the 'talking heads'. Yes, most teams are better teams now. So are the Zags. And .... we have Tillie back. Bring on the competition!

ZagzKrak
03-20-2019, 09:43 AM
FSU is a tough match up for sure but I think we have a great shot to get by them if everyone is healthy. I'm a little more worried about us getting another S. Curry moment if Murray St. advances. Another smaller school guard wanting to show he can play with the big dogs.

MontanaCoyote
03-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Entirely accurate to spot FSU, T Tech and Virginia as tough, real tough match ups for the Zags. Many of our own posters
have been taking this line for some time now, including myself at least on FSU.
Nothing New! Given: Zags will have to Adjust to beat these kinds of teams. Question: Can they? Didn’t against SMC.
Lesson Learned?

NotoriousZ
03-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Not saying these games aren’t going to be tough, but this Zags team is more athletic than any other team we’ve had. We can match up with an FSU physically and out-skill them where it counts. Staying out of foul trouble will be key, but if Tills stays healthy we should prevail.

FlyZag
03-20-2019, 09:57 AM
Yes because what we post on a message board has a direct correlation to what occurs on the court

My point was, "one game at a time". I personally don't think we will be facing FSU. I think we face Marquette. So why worry about FSU. Rather let's focus on FDU. The team we KNOW we are playing.

gu03alum
03-20-2019, 09:58 AM
Well, if the Zags are going to win the Nat Championship they've got to be able to beat every D1 team in the nation - not just by the guys but by Few too. I'd rather see FSU early on than in the Championship game. If the Zags can paste them early so much the better for putting fear in the hearts of those the Zags face afterwards. I also figure that FSU isn't all that interested in having to play us. I feel the Zags are a team that can make FSU look bad. We sure didn't make Duke look so hot early in the season and they were pretty hyped up back then by the 'talking heads'. Yes, most teams are better teams now. So are the Zags. And .... we have Tillie back. Bring on the competition!

Agree, not having Tillie with no time to game plan was a huge reason Gonzaga lost that game

Goshzagit
03-20-2019, 10:03 AM
Agree, not having Tillie with no time to game plan was a huge reason Gonzaga lost that game

and with him out, it effected our game plan. Also, Rui had an amazing game vs OSU (off the bench), yet wasn't quite ready to shoulder the load. He is now.

Zagger
03-20-2019, 10:17 AM
and with him out, it effected our game plan. Also, Rui had an amazing game vs OSU (off the bench), yet wasn't quite ready to shoulder the load. He is now.

And we have Clarke :)
In short, we've got all the ingredients ..... Ten by my count: Few, Tillie, Clarke, Perkins, Jones, Geno, Rui, Zach, Corey and Filip. I also feel the last SMC game has better prepared the Zags as opposed to weaken them. It's an amazing time of year for college BB. I'm feeling fortunate that GU is still playing and looks to be at the Dance for many years to come. Sooner or later the Zags will win the Nat Champ. Just might be this year :) When they do there will be one heck of a celebration in Spokane. For now I just cherish every game as it could be the season's last one. Life is good!

GoZags
03-20-2019, 10:18 AM
Yes because what we post on a message board has a direct correlation to what occurs on the court

And it’s incredibly important to have scads of “The Sky is Falling!!! The Sky is Falling !!!” threads started when anyone says
GU is going to get beat or a board member starts to get nervous.

Folks like Caduseus (and others) make this my favorite time of the year on Guboards. Others make it my
least favorite time of the year.

former1dog
03-20-2019, 10:22 AM
And it’s incredibly important to have scads of “The Sky is Falling!!! The Sky is Falling !!!” threads started when anyone says

Folks like Caduseus (and others) make this my favorite time of the year on Guboards. Others make it my

Yep!

Zagricultural
03-20-2019, 10:24 AM
I'm totally terrified of Syracuse and Florida State. In that order. Few just doesn't have it against the 2-3 zone. Go Baylor!!!

strikenowhere
03-20-2019, 10:30 AM
I'm totally terrified of Syracuse and Florida State. In that order. Few just doesn't have it against the 2-3 zone. Go Baylor!!!

Hah - how do you feel about the 1-3-1 zone Baylor plays then?

gueastcoast
03-20-2019, 10:33 AM
Everyone's got a right to be worried (or not), but it does get a little tiresome as GZ notes.

Not too concerned here. The reality is that after the first round, theoretically we should be playing a top-25(ish) team (32 teams left, poet's math) from there on out. The only way I'd be super-confident round two and on is if it's a particularly favorable matchup, a team with other issues (injuries, etc.), geography, or what have you, and even then that team will still have dudes and we still have to show up and play our game.

Just sayin'

Goshzagit
03-20-2019, 10:45 AM

exactly. Baylor zones around 90% of their defensive possessions.

For some teams, the 1-3-1 is more difficult to navigate than a traditional 2-3, yet no one is as good as Cuse as running the 2-3.

We utilize Rui a ton vs zones this year, primarily in the middle or elbow, making shots at a high clip. That goes away with a 1-3-1 zone, as you now attack the baselines, sides more

sittingon50
03-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Personally I don't think the Zag's will be able to get the ball past half-court vs FDU.

rennis
03-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Revenge is best served cold. Plus we have Clarke this year. Bring. It.

LongIslandZagFan
03-20-2019, 10:50 AM
I think they should just pack it in. I mean Cuse and FSU are just plain unbeatable.

thespywhozaggedme
03-20-2019, 10:59 AM

I responded to a hyperbolic post who felt that my post was hyperbolic and you raised my hyperbolic post with your own hyperbole. Is it game time yet? lol

In all seriousness, if FSU gets through and we do as well and we face one another, they're my biggest fear in the tourney, they're super athletic, crazy tall and go 10-11 deep every game.

thespywhozaggedme
03-20-2019, 11:00 AM
I think they should just pack it in. I mean Cuse and FSU are just plain unbeatable.

That's crazy talk, both teams have lost several games on the season.

LongIslandZagFan
03-20-2019, 11:07 AM

So why fear them? Have confidence that the Zags can figure out a way to beat them.

Zaga
03-20-2019, 11:08 AM
I don't care who we play I only care about how we play! Go Zags

#runthetable

LongIslandZagFan
03-20-2019, 11:11 AM
I don't care who we play I only care about how we play! Go Zags

#runthetable

This.

ZagsGoZags
03-20-2019, 11:24 AM

Long Island is being cynical about all the doomsayers.

As I mentioned in a previous post elsewhere, when I saw FSU shred Virginia's offense, it made me gulp hard to think we might have to play them. On the other hand they have not played that way all season, and I hope that was one game where they played above their skill level, such that they cannot perpetually sustain that level of play. If the refs let the players play on this one, I think they take us because they are quick as us and use physical force almost every chance they get. They caused UV to run out of shot clock repeatedly because of brute physicality, which was rarely called by the refs. IMHO. We will have to be Floyd Mayweather because they remind me of Tyson and Foreman at their peak. Analogy also holds in that they are bigger than we are, even if Tillie gets lots of minutes they are bigger. Except for their center, they are thick and we look slender by comparison.

gu03alum
03-20-2019, 11:28 AM
I think a lot of sarcasm is being lost on a lot of people on this thread. LOL :roll:

thespywhozaggedme
03-20-2019, 11:42 AM
So why fear them? Have confidence that the Zags can figure out a way to beat them.

It's not "fear" to acknowledge when a team has an advantage, or in this case several advantages over you, especially in this case a team that exploited said advantages in a win over you last season. I don't understand the schoolmarm scolding.

thespywhozaggedme
03-20-2019, 11:42 AM
I think a lot of sarcasm is being lost on a lot of people on this thread. LOL :roll:

Indeed

LongIslandZagFan
03-20-2019, 11:55 AM
It's not "fear" to acknowledge when a team has an advantage, or in this case several advantages over you, especially in this case a team that exploited said advantages in a win over you last season. I don't understand the schoolmarm scolding.

What scolding?

MontanaCoyote
03-20-2019, 11:56 AM

Hey, experts! Novice here. We know the zone is coming. Can’t we prepare for it? If not, why the H not!?

bartruff1
03-20-2019, 11:57 AM
They have to pick someone.....FSU is as good a pick as any.....at that point in the tournament, anyone can win....or lose...

ConnZag3
03-20-2019, 12:07 PM
Cuse is a little less scary this year than years past knowing the Zags have played that goofy 2-3 zone once already this year against Washington since Hopkins brought it over from the Cuse. They scored pretty well against it in that instance.

FSU is just as terrifying this year as last basically with 1 more year of experience. Totally agree with the folks who've mentioned that Clarke will be a difference maker this year compared to last with his athleticism, but sadly he's really the only spectacular athleticism the Zags have to contend with that FSU length. Rebounding and shot making will be huge if that's the matchup in the rd of 16 along with Clarke staying out of foul trouble.

maynard g krebs
03-20-2019, 12:14 PM
Jeez. Fivethirtyeight says the Zags beat Cuse 8 times out of 9, and beat both them and FSU 71% of the time. One seeds lose early every year; it could happen. Shoot 2/17 on 3's and you probably lose.

But the handwringing over the matchups is something I don't get. Current odds on making the final 4 are slightly better than they were 2 years ago.

Zagricultural
03-20-2019, 12:17 PM
Jeez. Fivethirtyeight says the Zags beat Cuse 8 times out of 9, and beat both them and FSU 71% of the time. One seeds lose early every year; it could happen. Shoot 2/17 on 3's and you probably lose.

But the handwringing over the matchups is something I don't get. Current odds on making the final 4 are slightly better than they were 2 years ago.

Scar tissue my friend. Probably the same thing happens if West Virginia ever sees us in their bracket.

Zagceo
03-20-2019, 12:25 PM

not the most trusted words in predicting outcomes.

got any KenPom numbers? )

HenneZag
03-20-2019, 12:30 PM
Let's take care of game #1 first. Then we can worry about game #2...3...4 and so on.

TexasZagFan
03-20-2019, 12:39 PM
Hey, experts! Novice here. We know the zone is coming. Can’t we prepare for it? If not, why the H not!?

There's usually a soft spot in the zone, near the FT line. Rui will have that shot available to him the entire game. If they try and collapse on him, he'll pass it to either Clarke or to an open 3 point shooter on the wing.

FuManShoes
03-20-2019, 02:18 PM
A lot of us are picking FSU over us.

gonstu
03-20-2019, 02:28 PM
A lot of us are picking FSU over us.

I did in my work pool. Sad part is there's not even any $$ involved and I still went against my zags.

tinfoilzag
03-20-2019, 03:07 PM
We are very similar this year in composition (3 of the same starters) to that team got handled by FSU last year. We were bullied from the beginning and couldn't score. FSU shot 47% from the field, 30% from 3 and 68% from the line and still won by 15.

Playing FSU again is a problem I hope we have because it means another S16.

CDC84
03-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Yes, but Gonzaga has the best frontcourt in the nation and it is extremely versatile. Duke isn't very tall, and they were even able to beat FSU in Tallahassee without Zion. Remember what Few said after the FSU loss last year. Killian Tillie was going to be an essential part of the game plan to bring those bigs out on the perimeter. Well, they now also have to deal with a first team All American in Rui who can also stick three point shots but also hit at the mid range level. Clarke is 6-8, but again, while he cannot shoot like Rui and Tillie from the perimeter, he can take those dudes off the bounce, and he's a freak athlete.

All this is going to open up driving lines and less hands around the basket. Snacks needs to take advantage with his fantastic finishing ability.

Gotta be careful about referencing what Gonzaga has done in the past vs. this or that ACC team because no Gonzaga team has come within a universe of this year's GU team in terms of pro talent combined with offensive efficiency. They have the 3rd highest offensive efficiency in the Pomeroy era. A lot of these critics are not looking at kenpom.com and hence are not seeing just how unusual this Gonzaga team is, offensively, from a historical standpoint. They're transcendent.

FSU also can become a disorganized wreck on offense at times. Few is a much better coach than Hamilton. And while I am bringing up history, Gonzaga did beat Florida State in the NCAA tourney in 2010 in a relatively low scoring affair.

The thing that I am pretty sure of, however, is that Gonzaga is likely to be playing FSU because most everyone feels Marquette is over-seeded. They are just a run of the mill NCAA tourney team.

Not saying that the FSU game wouldn't be a challenge (if it ever happens), but I think some of these pundits who are beating the Seminole drum don't understand that the way to beat all that size is to have versatile bigs and an elite finishing guard like Snacks. Gonzaga just didn't have that LAST YEAR. It's a new year. I also feel that almost any team in the nation loses that game last year. To have a starter and a major part of your game plan disappear within 2 minutes of tip for the rest of the season sent shockwaves across the whole roster and forced the staff to create a whole new, completely different game plan on the spot. It was a horrible ordeal. I bet almost none of these people mentioned the Killian injury and its consequences.

NEC26
03-20-2019, 03:36 PM
Both GU and FSU need to make it there first. FSU isn't playing a cake walk against Vermont.

zagamatic
03-20-2019, 03:40 PM
All I'm saying is that I hope that both Tillie and Petrusev get some playing time in the first game. Their height and length will likely be required

CDC84
03-20-2019, 03:48 PM
Most definitely. If Gonzaga faces FSU, having perimeter bigs like Tillie and Petrusev who can knock down the three is extremely valuable. It draws defenders away from the hoop, being forced to do stuff they aren't used to doing. And I know Filip's three point shooting dipped to 30%, but it was quite high when he was playing a lot. He's a very good shooter.

raise the zag
03-20-2019, 03:52 PM
All I'm saying is that I hope that both Tillie and Petrusev get some playing time in the first game. Their height and length will likely be required

Most definitely. If Gonzaga faces FSU, having perimeter bigs like Tillie and Petrusev who can knock down the three is extremely valuable. It draws defenders away from the hoop, being forced to do stuff they aren't used to doing. And I know Filip's three point shooting dipped to 30%, but it was quite high when he was playing a lot. He's a very good shooter.

I completely agree, yet that Pepperdine game might be the last time we see him until next season.

Not currently in the "rotation" unless major foul trouble.

Tillie
Crandall
Jones

Petrusev outside looking in.

We don't beat UW or Duke without his double digit points and key rebounds in the paint, holding down the center position, adding another dimension down low.

I doubt we see him again unless up 30 or Tillie fouls out

Therunner
03-20-2019, 05:11 PM
interesting factoid:

last year, Zags advanced to the Sweet 16 vs Florida St. The winner was set to face Michigan in the Elite 8. FSU eliminated the Zags to advance to Elite 8, yet lost to Michigan. Michigan made the Final 4.

There is chance history repeats itself (hope not), which is pretty rare the exact same match-ups in the same rounds are at stake this year.

weird.

RenoZag
03-20-2019, 05:29 PM
I did in my work pool. Sad part is there's not even any $$ involved and I still went against my zags.

I did too but there is $$ involved. . .so it goes.

BEAT the Boys from Jersey tomorrow and we'll kibbutz about the next one later

willandi
03-20-2019, 06:04 PM
I completely agree, yet that Pepperdine game might be the last time we see him until next season.

Tillie
Crandall
Jones

We don't beat UW or Duke without his double digit points and key rebounds in the paint, holding down the center position, adding another dimension down low.

Have you gotten in touch with Few and explained how he is wrong...in your opinion? It might help. He might not understand.

Reborn
03-20-2019, 08:00 PM

Isn't it a little early to think FSU will beat us? He says they'll win tomorrow? I'll come back and reply to this thread if Florida St does win tomorrow and especially if they beat Marquette or Murray State.

coolhandzag
03-20-2019, 08:11 PM
If any players read this. I’m with you. One game at a time. Nothing is for certain in the bracket. Not for GU. Not for FSU. Not for anyone. The next game is the only game. Go Zags!

Hoopaholic
03-20-2019, 08:13 PM

Tillie
Crandall
Jones

Any facts to. Ack up your statement that the three are not in rotation

Tile working back in
Crandall and Jones last 5 games averaging over 20 minutes. Seems to me to be major
Part of an 8 man rotation

thespywhozaggedme
03-20-2019, 08:14 PM
Isn't it a little early to think FSU will beat us? He says they'll win tomorrow? I'll come back and reply to this thread if Florida St does win tomorrow and especially if they beat Marquette or Murray State.

I'm pulling for Vermont to pull the huge upset. Anthony Lamb is legit and is the best player in America no one knows. I just think FSU's depth and height will be too much.

caduceus
03-21-2019, 02:14 AM
I'm pulling for Vermont to pull the huge upset. Anthony Lamb is legit and is the best player in America no one knows. I just think FSU's depth and height will be too much.

http://i.imgur.com/yKm2MsL.gif

raise the zag
03-21-2019, 05:18 AM
Any facts to. Ack up your statement that the three are not in rotation

Tile working back in
Crandall and Jones last 5 games averaging over 20 minutes. Seems to me to be major
Part of an 8 man rotation

Have you gotten in touch with Few and explained how he is wrong...in your opinion? It might help. He might not understand.

Did you read the post I was responding to or just basing your reply on my quoted post?

Context friends...it is your friend.

That will answer your questions. I was replying, not making a declaration, to a post regarding the upcoming rotation where others were hoping to see Petrusev WITH Tillie.

Before accusations and lashing out on my post, maybe take a moment to read through the replies and responses.

Geez.

willandi
03-21-2019, 05:57 AM

Tillie
Crandall
Jones

Did you read the post I was responding to or just basing your reply on my quoted post?

Context friends...it is your friend.

That will answer your questions. I was replying, not making a declaration, to a post regarding the upcoming rotation where others were hoping to see Petrusev WITH Tillie.

Before accusations and lashing out on my post, maybe take a moment to read through the replies and responses.

Geez.

I DID see that you responded to others posts. I was responding to what YOU wrote.

Words have meanings. I try to understand them and not intuit what that writer meant.