PDA

View Full Version : University of Montana Roster....

montanazag88
11-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Anyone know these guys this year? (maybe we'll know more after the Griz / Col State game on Friday.) I see a few kids from WA..

2007-2008 Grizzly Basketball Roster
# NAME YR POS HEIGHT WEIGHT HOMETOWN
11 Elgin-Taylor JR G 6' 2" 185 lbs. Los Angeles, CA
12 Graves FR G 6' 2" 195 lbs. Sacramento, CA
2 Hasquet JR F 6' 9" 245 lbs. Missoula, MT
10 Hurley, FR G/F 6' 6" 200 lbs. Anaconda, MT
22 Martin, SR G 6' 2" 193 lbs. Spearfish, SD
33 McGillis, JR F 6' 6" 210 lbs. Missoula, MT
44 Qvale, FR C 6' 11" 245 lbs. Williston, ND
1 Rundles SO G 6' 1" 190 lbs. Minneapolis, MN
24 Selvig, FR F 7' 0" 215 lbs. Glendive, MT
40 Sharp, JR F 6' 7" 220 lbs. Hollister, CA
20 Spurgetis, JR G 6' 4" 175 lbs. Spokane, WA
3 Staudacher, SO G 6' 3" 210 lbs. Kirkland, WA
34 Strait, SR F/C 6' 8" 245 lbs. Yakima, WA
23 Taylor, SO G 6' 4" 190 lbs. Brewster, WA
54 Vanderjagt, SO C 7' 0" 245 lbs. Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Radbooks
11-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Greg Spurgetis played at Lewis and Clark a few years ago and did really well there, but he didn't play much for Montana last year. (He's my sister-in-law's nephew and so I've known him since he was a baby!)

Michael Taylor played with Pendo at Brewster for at least one year, but he won't play on Sunday because he's redshirting after transferring from EWU.

montanazag88
11-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Found some material...Zags should handle these guys...here's some food for entertaining speculations, nonetheless:

http://www.bigskyconf.com/article.asp?articleid=88494

ZagManFan
11-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Andrew Strait is probably their best returnee. Selvig is the son of the Women’s Bball coach and has a long line of pedigree of UM sports.

Cameron Rundles is a player to watch. He was the Big Sky freshman of the year and played in all 32 games last year. Can shoot lights out from beyond the arc as he shot almost 48% there as a freshaman.

Jordan Hasquet and Ryan Staudacher both have a decent game and can shoot the ball well beyond the arc as well.

By no means will Montana be a push over. If they get hot from the arc anything can happen. I predict that they shoot over 42% from 3's this game. I would not be shocked if they put up around 20+ 3's in the game Sunday. They have shot over 42% in both exhibition games this year.

They also play Friday against Colorado State. That game should provide a bit more information, but that is all I have right now.

sittingon50
11-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Straits West Valley-Yakima team handed Pendo's Brewster team one of it's few losses during Pendo's career.

Nevtelen
11-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Strait handed it to Fazekas and Nevada in the tourney a couple seasons ago. He's the real deal as far as I've seen and we might have problems with him inside if Josh is too out of shape or doesn't play much. As far as I know, the rest of the roster is either talented and young or veteran role-players. I'll have to read my Blue Ribbon on them when I get a chance.

st. al
11-07-2007, 11:44 PM
i played against staudacher growing up, wonder if he can still shoot like he did in junior high...

MontanaZag
11-08-2007, 02:29 AM
Selvig is actually the nephew of the womens coach at the griz, his dad I believe is coaching in Glendive at the community college, he is legit though, probably a little raw as a freshman though, certainly not ZAG-CALIBER!!

mtzaga
11-08-2007, 03:44 AM
Selvig is actually the nephew of the womens coach at the griz, his dad I believe is coaching in Glendive at the community college, he is legit though, probably a little raw as a freshman though, certainly not ZAG-CALIBER!!

Derek Selvig may redshirt this year. His father, Doug, coaches at the high school in Glendive. Brian Qvale is the frosh to watch.

23dpg
11-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Their coach is from my HS. Wayne was a tall, goofy, funny kid when I knew him. He developed into a very good player for the Griz. Great to see that he's now the coach.

wazZag
11-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Selvig did garner alot of recruiting attention towards the end.

Vanderjagt is a good kicker. I had no idea he was 7'0" tall.

dim4sum
11-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Montana has some guys that can play half-court. Disrupt this pattern by pressing from the get-go. Make crossing the ten-second line an unbearable experience. Make them crack--and make them crack early, even if it means fielding an unconventional starting five for the first six or seven minutes of the first half.

zag67
11-08-2007, 12:25 PM
My son played with/against Ryan Staudaker. He is a great shooter. Ryan also played summer ball with one of Seattle's team that included Hawes and Jon Brockman. He also was one of the best quarterbacks in the state 3 years ago. Three years ago, he went to school over there and ended up coming home and not playing. I was suprised to see his name. He is not a person that I would expect to drive against our team, but in their league I would think they could dominate.

Reborn
11-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Strait is from Yakima and I've seen him play a few times. I remember him playing against Brewster when Pendo played for Brewster. Pendo was a better player, imo, but Strait can score. He's done very well at Montana.

Taylor played on the same Brewster team that Pendo played for I believe. And I also thought he played for EWU last year. What's up with that? Unless there are two Taylors. Taylor was a very good shooter at Brewster, but didn't do all that well at EWU last year.

Montana will be tough, imo. This game has HISTORY and RIVALRY going all the way back to when GU played in the Big Sky. The main advantage GU has will be playing in K2. I just won't be betting against GU this year when they play at home. They lost one last year, and I think that we'll go undefeated at home this year and get that Home Court winning streak back.

former1dog
11-08-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm very happy this game is scheduled. Montana is a team that should be on the schedule every year, IMO.

I grew up not far from Glendive, MT. The Selvig have quite an athletic legacy in that town.

Just out of pure coincidence, I was with my Mom at the airport last year after she came to visit and ran into the Selvig's Dad. We had a nice chat about his son and their prospects for the state championship. Did they win it? I think they did. Dad owns a John Deere dealership as I recall.

mtzaga
11-08-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm very happy this game is scheduled. Montana is a team that should be on the schedule every year, IMO.

I grew up not far from Glendive, MT. The Selvig have quite an athletic legacy in that town.

Just out of pure coincidence, I was with my Mom at the airport last year after she came to visit and ran into the Selvig's Dad. We had a nice chat about his son and their prospects for the state championship. Did they win it? I think they did. Dad owns a John Deere dealership as I recall.

The Dillon Beavers beat the Browning Indians for the Class A title. Both teams were undefeated going into the big game. Dillon also won the A football title.

http://www.mhsa.org/basketball/2007BasketballBoysA.pdf

former1dog
11-08-2007, 03:54 PM
The Dillon Beavers beat the Browning Indians for the Class A title. Both teams were undefeated going into the big game. Dillon also won the A football title.

http://www.mhsa.org/basketball/2007BasketballBoysA.pdf

Thanks! Got beat by Browning, figures.

Teams from reservation schools are always a threat! Lodge Grass was a perennial power when I was in high school. My hometown (also on a reservation) is the only team to ever win State in 3 different classes (A, B & C), Unfotunately none of them while I was there. :( We did produce a future Zag baller though. :)

hondo46
11-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Did you ever see Willie Weeks play or was he before your time? Hell of a good player IMHO.

former1dog
11-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Did you ever see Willie Weeks play or was he before your time? Hell of a good player IMHO.

Way before my time, but he's a legend nonetheless. Most folks say he was the best shooter to ever play hs ball in MT.

The next time I chat with my older brother, I'll ask him about Willie and I'll probably get a few good stories to share.

FlatheadZag
11-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Browning will win the Class A title this year in Montana. They're loaded and play an exciting brand of ball. 32 minutes of hell. Selvig was big coup for the Grizzlies, will be a majorplayer in the Big Sky in a couple of years.

loyalviking
11-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Flathead Zag - Are you from where your moniker indicates? Flathead Lake area? Grew up around there and was just curious.

montanazag88
11-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Have to add to MT's best players comments made thus far....

Does anyone remeber Larry Pretty-Weasel (sp?), Johnathon Takes-Enemy, Shann Ferch (now a prof. at GU)?

loyalviking
11-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Both Ferch boys were awesome...Mike Geer was a pretty darn good player back in the day as well.

montanazag88
11-10-2007, 02:51 PM
I see from other threads, Montana performed well against Col State. Interested in watching post play tomorrow....too early to tell how much trouble, if any, the Griz will give a talented lineup like the Zags.

(Loyal, Kral dunked on me in high-school. I fouled him hard enough to knock him sideways, but I still munched leather. I believe he later went on to play Olympic vollyball - jumped through the roof.....used to dunk two basketballs with ease.)

montanazag88
11-10-2007, 03:20 PM
MT at GU game coverage:
TELEVISION:
Next game:
Nov. 11 - at Gonzaga
3:05 pm (MTN)
Fox Sports Northwest

AUDIO STREAMS:
The official website of Grizzly Athletics, MontanaGrizzlies.com, will provide free audio streams for all home / away Montana football games. Links are available on this webpage and will be made available on the homepage the day of the event.

VIDEO STREAMS:
BigSkyTV.org video streams all Griz men's basketball contests games played in a Big Sky facility. Please check back to this page to see when the next live video stream of Grizzly men's basketball will be available.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/media/media_mb.htm

mtzaga
11-10-2007, 05:57 PM
MT at GU game coverage:
TELEVISION:
Next game:
Nov. 11 - at Gonzaga
3:05 pm (MTN)
Fox Sports Northwest

AUDIO STREAMS:
The official website of Grizzly Athletics, MontanaGrizzlies.com, will provide free audio streams for all home / away Montana football games. Links are available on this webpage and will be made available on the homepage the day of the event.

VIDEO STREAMS:
BigSkyTV.org video streams all Griz men's basketball contests games played in a Big Sky facility. Please check back to this page to see when the next live video stream of Grizzly men's basketball will be available.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/media/media_mb.htm

I hope Griz Nation does not read this since the game is on at 2:00 MST.

AnonyMoose
11-10-2007, 06:31 PM
54 Vanderjagt

They have a drunk kicker on their team?