03-19-2019, 04:25 PM
https://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/344931/zags-need-to-be-a-virtuoso-at

kitzbuel
03-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Absolutely agree.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Spot on. What a great piece of sports writing. Love the connection between Few’s senior year high school team, that same year’s #1 Beavers team and current Zags. Bud is right; Zags are gonna face a team or two who just wanna muck up their flow in this tourney, and they’re gonna have to grind out a W vs those teams.

I’m guessing, like Bud, the first such game will be vs Syracuse; I hope the only other such game will be vs Virginia.

MontanaCoyote
03-19-2019, 04:59 PM

Yep, been posting it. Got to play asphalt court, no net, no refs, no fans, no trophy just pride, grind it out, in you face basketball. Pretty don’t matter. Ballin’ does. Pride, Character, Fight and Fire.

Do it, Zags!

ZagsGoZags
03-19-2019, 05:04 PM
I can't believe if you saw Florida State carve up Virginia you could say that.
Their defense and physicality were off the chart, Virginia was frantic sometimes and still couldn't get a shot off before the shot clock expired.
St. Mary's started it, all the teams we play from now on will try to muck us up, slow the tempo, make the game ugly, and disrupt our everything offensive, except perhaps deep 3 pt attempts.

Vanzagger
03-19-2019, 05:20 PM
We Ready

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 05:23 PM
I liked the Ralph Miller references.

He once said, at the advent of the 3 point shot: "If you're going to award 3 points for a basket, it should be for getting a lay-up off your half-court set."

Thought that was genius.

I didn't need the story about losing to Ariz. State after 26-0 record, and first round out of tourney.

BTW, wasn't that the year that Idaho was ranked as high as 6th? When Monson Sr. coached Idaho?

MDABE80
03-19-2019, 05:43 PM
We're not grinders this year. We run and have a very superior transition game. SMC game was a grinder after the SMC guys took away the transition game by filling OUR lanes with their players. Plus packing the key eliminated the good play we usually see with RUI and Brandon.
We'll see what this team is made of soon enough. Can they be tough enough to win a grinder? I dunno. Hope so, but so far we just haven't had enough tough games to know.

gonzagafan62
03-19-2019, 05:46 PM
We're not grinders this year. We run and have a very superior transition game. SMC game was a grinder after the SMC guys took away the transition game by filling OUR lanes with their players. Plus packing the key eliminated the good play we usually see with RUI and Brandon.
We'll see what this team is made of soon enough. Can they be tough enough to win a grinder? I dunno. Hope so, but so far we just haven't had enough tough games to know.

I disagree. Illinois and Arizona would too

MDABE80
03-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Ask SMC. We were tough when we played Zona and Illinois.

bartruff1
03-19-2019, 07:52 PM
duh

bballbeachbum
03-19-2019, 09:08 PM
makes sense to me, depending on the matchup

if Zags beat FDU, committee has either Syracuse or Baylor. here's a nice link to a matchup comparison of the two

https://www.ourdailybears.com/2019/3/19/18272015/baylor-syracuse-data-analysis-of-each-teams-big-advantage-that-may-decide-the-game

either are a nice test, one from style of play (see Washington game, tho some differences in their zones too), and the other a specific mismatch on the glass with Baylor very strong at a Zags weakness.

I think the Zags take all three of the teams in their first weekend bracket, but I'm not blind and so observe the facts of this draw for the #1 seed Zags.

Bring it on! grinding or whatever, with the pair already grown ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1npL-TNFOAQ

gonzagafan62
03-19-2019, 09:46 PM
Ask SMC. We were tough when we played Zona and Illinois.

And all of a sudden because of one 40 min period we aren’t now? That doesn’t really make sense to me lol

MDABE80
03-19-2019, 11:52 PM
Might have been the biggest 40 min disaster of the season and the kids just went soft. No grind. Not that night. We didn't exactly mug Pepperdine either... And we go home for 7 months if this happens again. TO each his own. We'll see what happens...….

gonzagafan62
03-20-2019, 05:59 AM
Might have been the biggest 40 min disaster of the season and the kids just went soft. No grind. Not that night. We didn't exactly mug Pepperdine either... And we go home for 7 months if this happens again. TO each his own. We'll see what happens...….

Fair enough ABE. Love your posts regardless.

Cheers

raise the zag
03-20-2019, 06:25 AM

agree completely re: SMC, yet we demolished Pepperdine. Pulled our starters the earliest we have in the Coach Few era -- around the 6-7 min mark, up 44 pts. Pepperdine did hit 6 3's in the final 6 minutes vs our subs though. I do think some of that relinquish we did vs Pepp carried over to Tuesday night, yet all in the past now.

CDC84
03-20-2019, 09:58 AM
Kind of an interesting article, because as you may recall, the Zags won pretty much 3 grinder games in the 2017 NCAA tournament. West VA, South Carolina, and UNC were not aesthetically pleasing affairs.

But the West VA win, to me, may have been the most important win in the program's history (since its initial breakthrough) because it completely shut down a theory that had been plaguing the Zags for many years, and that is whether Gonzaga, as a PROGRAM, was TOUGH ENOUGH. Could they ever play the sort of defense needed to make the big stop to win an important, ugly game in the dance? Well on that night in San Jose, they did. Finally. And that Gonzaga team was aesthetically pleasing to watch as well, but that West VA win was the ultimate gut test.

For this team, the gut test they are going to need to pass, at some point, will be the test that the 2016 team failed to against Syracuse. The Zags had that game absolutely in hand. They should've won. But they just couldn't handle 'Cuse's late game pressing. They were too fast and loose with the ball, and continually passed the ball to players who were in corners (the so-called "death zone"). Add that to a massive officiating mistake (which Mark Few got an apology for from the NCAA.....gees, thanks), and it was a really hard pill to swallow.

At some point, I think we are going to get a game like this. Hitting the foul shots is already tough enough, but man, you can't be turning the ball over in those situations. You need poise.

And BTW - for all the worry about Syracuse's unique zone.....Mark Few designed a PERFECT game plan for attacking it in 2016. Gonzaga didn't lose the 2016 NCAA game vs. the Orange due to their failures vs. the zone. Again, it had to do with handling the press. And that Gonzaga team, an #11 seed, wasn't nearly as good as this year's #1 seeded GU team. And 'Cuse that year was a #10. Not that much different from where they are seeded now.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-20-2019, 06:13 PM
Kind of an interesting article, because as you may recall, the Zags won pretty much 3 grinder games in the 2017 NCAA tournament. West VA, South Carolina, and UNC were not aesthetically pleasing affairs.

But the West VA win, to me, may have been the most important win in the program's history (since its initial breakthrough) because it completely shut down a theory that had been plaguing the Zags for many years, and that is whether Gonzaga, as a PROGRAM, was TOUGH ENOUGH. Could they ever play the sort of defense needed to make the big stop to win an important, ugly game in the dance? Well on that night in San Jose, they did. Finally. And that Gonzaga team was aesthetically pleasing to watch as well, but that West VA win was the ultimate gut test.

For this team, the gut test they are going to need to pass, at some point, will be the test that the 2016 team failed to against Syracuse. The Zags had that game absolutely in hand. They should've won. But they just couldn't handle 'Cuse's late game pressing. They were too fast and loose with the ball, and continually passed the ball to players who were in corners (the so-called "death zone"). Add that to a massive officiating mistake (which Mark Few got an apology for from the NCAA.....gees, thanks), and it was a really hard pill to swallow.

At some point, I think we are going to get a game like this. Hitting the foul shots is already tough enough, but man, you can't be turning the ball over in those situations. You need poise.

And BTW - for all the worry about Syracuse's unique zone.....Mark Few designed a PERFECT game plan for attacking it in 2016. Gonzaga didn't lose the 2016 NCAA game vs. the Orange due to their failures vs. the zone. Again, it had to do with handling the press. And that Gonzaga team, an #11 seed, wasn't nearly as good as this year's #1 seeded GU team. And 'Cuse that year was a #10. Not that much different from where they are seeded now.

Great post!

Therunner
03-20-2019, 06:28 PM

that game reminded me of Tennessee game this year.

Nearly identical in many ways.

Gonzaga held a slight lead for most of 2nd half. At the 6 min mark of BOTH games, Gonzaga had a 9 pt lead. Same exact lead, a difference of 10 seconds.

Opponent defense tightens, Gonzaga goes into "stall" mode, and one guy makes tough shots (Admiral for UT, Gbinije for Cuse).

A couple silly defensive mistakes and TO's in final minute of the game. Lose by 3pts in BOTH games. So similar its eerie. Sabonis and Wiltjer scored all our points vs Cuse, like Clarke and Rui did vs UT. Should have won them both, would have been back-to-back-to-back Elite 8 appearances too.

That 10 second call was atrocious though, and critical. We had a 1 pt lead with a minute to go, possession, and Syracuse scored off that ref-induced TO.

bballbeachbum
03-22-2019, 06:52 AM
makes sense to me, depending on the matchup

either are a nice test, one from style of play (see Washington game, tho some differences in their zones too), and the other a specific mismatch on the glass with Baylor very strong at a Zags weakness.

the battle lines are drawn here. can the Zags finish off their D possessions with strong work on their D glass? I say yes and if so, they'll be off to the races. I don't think the Zags will allow the gazillion catch and shoot 3s Syracuse did, Baylor will have to score off the bounce and inside much more, which I think the Zags will be able to control

TexasZagFan
03-23-2019, 07:13 PM
Bud should be happy now, tonight's game was a real grinder in my book.