PDA

View Full Version : We will miss you Seniors!

meadgrad02
02-19-2007, 12:23 PM
So many great memories with these two. We will definitely miss them in the future. I wish them the very best in their future endevours!

Godspeed boys...

former1dog
02-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks Derek and Sean.

Nevtelen
02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Both have been great over the course of their careers at GU and this year more than ever. You will be missed. A lot.

zagfaninmt
02-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't post much, but I will add my thanks to the others for many great moments in basketball--and I am counting on many more before the season wraps up! DR, you have been my favorite GU player since the Maui Invitational in 2005.

pdxzagfan
02-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks so much to Derek and Sean for the memories...they are great Zag players. Best of luck, I think they both have very bright futures ahead of them, whether it be on or off the court.

Ibellibie
02-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I've always hated senior night as it's just a reminder of what we're losing. A necessary evil. For some reason, this year it's going to be even harder. Derek and Sean don't deserve what they've been handed the past few weeks. And yet, we've seen them come out and play & act like true warriors. They've given it their all, as they have all their years, and I'm so proud.

Thanks so much guys!

brasszag
02-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Derek and Sean will definitly be missed as Zags. They have toughed their way through a brutal and sometimes ugly senior season - and have never given up on making every minute count on the court.

Gonzaga basketball has been marked for all time by their skills, quiet leadership, and burning desire to win. All around great characters and great Zags.

I'll also give a small shout out to to our "missing" senior Adam since he never got a senior night.

tobizag
02-19-2007, 01:40 PM
As a fellow senior, I am getting ready to head to my last home game in the Kennel as a student, and boy is it going to be sad to see Sean and Derek waving goodbye. Thank you DRav and Sean for making my four years here so enjoyable.

gamagin
02-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Sean & Derek:

Watching you two mature and take leadership roles and serve as model student-athletes in the process, I'm reminded of a sign over a doorway leading into Croke Park, Dublin.

Croke Park is the scene of Ireland's greatest footbal games and featured its greatest players over the decades, just like the old gym, K1 & K2 serve(d) as our historic home battlefields.

Much emotion, sweat and tears have been shed in all three GU venues over the past century just like at Croke park with its rich history.

At any rate, over the door, along with the list of great athletes that competed there is this simple sentence:

"They Played The Game."

You two played the game.

And I thank you for that. Our family and the whole Zag nation thanks you, too.

gozagswoohoo
02-19-2007, 02:28 PM
THANK YOU DEREK AND SEAN!

You two exhibit so much of what it is to "Be a Zag". Great role models, great sportsmanship, and you never quit. It's gonna be tough watchin you guys go out this year...hopefully we can end on a high note after a season that has had its share of low ones...

GOOD LUCK WITH ALL YOU GUYS DO! Go Zags!

roxdoc
02-19-2007, 02:37 PM
These two have given us wonderful, wonderful memories.

But just think of the memories these two have as being with our program. Especially Shawn, really inside for 5 of our 9 year run of success. Imagine the stories he could tell about team mates and happenings!

Thanks guys - I'll be there to cheer you tonight!!

kylasdad
02-19-2007, 03:12 PM
THX Guys

Oregon Zag
02-19-2007, 03:18 PM
If you go to the game, can you give us a post game run down of what the guys say? I wish I could be there. Last year, we only got to see part of it on TV and video tapes later.

former1dog
02-19-2007, 03:22 PM
If you go to the game, can you give us a post game run down of what the guys say? I wish I could be there. Last year, we only got to see part of it on TV and video tapes later.

I'll second that request. Thanks in advance!

Vanzagger
02-19-2007, 03:32 PM
clap.clap. clapclapclap!

GonzagaLove
02-19-2007, 03:45 PM
for all of the great memories. From me and my family, good luck to you in the rest of your lives! We will miss seeing you in a Zag uniform. You represented it so well.

JLGutrocks
02-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys. We appreciate your dedication, loyalty, work ethic, and leadership. I wish your senior night had a much different feel to it. You deserve better. Good luck to you both in the future, wherever it takes you.

JL

spkngrl
02-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Again, just want to add in my thanks to Derek and Sean. You each brought something special to Gonzaga, you brought your hearts to every game. Despite injuries and all that has been thrown onto your plates the past few years, this year was your year and you brought experience to the game that no one else really had. You did your best, you played your hearts out for the fans, for your coach, but most importantly for yourselves.

No matter where you end up, I wish you luck, but I know you won't need it because you both have solid heads on your shoulders and will succeed with whatever life throws at you next.

Zaghuatanejo
02-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for everything. Zags through and through, you make us proud. Good luck the rest of the way!

sanfranzagsguy20
02-19-2007, 05:00 PM
thank you for everything guys...you have been there steadfast through the good times and the bad...i wish you nothing but luck and success in everything that lies ahead in your bright futures...you will ALWAYS be zags!! congrats and graduating and again, good luck! we will miss you

TheBeast
02-19-2007, 05:36 PM
I love this time of year because everything is so up in the air. I also hate this time of year because the only sure thing is there will come a time when you don't get to see the same guys play any more.

We'll miss you guys!

mendiant
02-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Thank you Derek and Sean!

Your contributions to GU and the team have been enthusiastically given and lovingly received.

The comments from the guys at the end of the game were brief thank yous to the kennel club for keeping it wild in the kennels.

Not too much "emotion", as they wished (see spokesman review article), but some joy.

Sean left the court as bench filled in to "We love Mallon" clap, clap...clap, clap, clap.

Derek's parting cheer was "Rah, Rah Rah, Rah, Raivio"

I didn't cry, but I sure wanted to give these two big hugs.

Love you guys...

THANKS FOR BEING ZAGS!!!!

GUgirl
02-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Thank you, Sean and Derek! What a legacy!

bayzag09
02-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Good luck guys...you will be missed immensely

ZagNut08
02-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the good games

personal favorites

DRAV at the Kennel in 04
Mallon vs Indiana Last year in the 2nd Round

soonerterp
02-20-2007, 12:09 AM
:(

Hate to see guys like that leave ... but thus is the cycle of college basketball (or any college sports, for that matter), a little microcosm of life where a little green baby freshman enters and, before our eyes, transforms into an elder statesman who eventually must shuffle off the college coil and move on to another plane of existence.

Come on, just one more year of eligibility, please NCAA?

NJZag
02-20-2007, 04:20 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070220/capt.wajh10502200449.portland_gonzaga_basketball_w ajh105.jpg

zagcheer78
02-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Want to add my thanks for your hard work and dedication to the school and team. You both had to remain disiplined and focused on your goals and that will make a huge difference for your future.
I bet you two could write a book on these past 4-5 years and it would be a hit. :cool:

cair3
02-20-2007, 07:14 AM
ravio is probably one of the most dedicated basketball players in WCC history, I dont understand how someone who shoots as well as him practices shooting so much.

LongIslandZagFan
02-20-2007, 08:43 AM
You two exemplified what it means to be a Zag this year and through your careers. God Bless to both of you and may all that you do in your life be successful.

StocktonZag
02-20-2007, 04:30 PM
These two leave their own unique marks on the 'Gonzaga Experience'. A connection to past teams leaves with them. The new group seems different. Where the program is heading seems different. Not better, not worse, just a different sense of success and how to get there. Suprisingly, as much as I am a fan of the teams of the last 8 years and the Northwest connection of the star players, I am really excited for this new wave we are about to ride. THANKS to Sean & Derek for their contributions!!
IT AIN'T OVER YET BABY!! I'm thinking a number of additional games before we see these two turn the ball over to the next group.

Akzag
02-20-2007, 05:22 PM
A big heartfelt gratitude to you both ;
- representing the school and your teammates as well as you have
- giving us armchair point guards and power forwards, a joyous vicarious journey
- allowing us to see you grow and mature before our very public eyes
- and leaving us content with the knowledge, that whatever the future may hold for each of you, you will do it with class and respect, and we can always call you one of ours

[sniff, sniff] Senior Night gets me every year ...
"To Be Continued ...."

It was pretty obvious that this team is a bunch of kids who really like each other and they've put the distractions of the last two weeks behind them. If they can do that, so can I. - jhoop 2/20/07

Zag509
02-20-2007, 06:03 PM
I love you Sean!

Derek too!

SportsWriter2007
02-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Derek Raivio........for 3.

soonerterp
02-20-2007, 11:18 PM
ravio is probably one of the most dedicated basketball players in WCC history, I dont understand how someone who shoots as well as him practices shooting so much.

Uh ... practice makes perfect?