PDA

View Full Version : What are your Zags superstitions or rituals to ensure victory?

zagzilla
03-19-2019, 01:11 PM
I know we all want to do whatever we can to make sure the Zags win. Do you do (or not do) certain things or wear certain clothes during the game to help make shots fall, whistles go our way and our guys play their best?

Speaking for myself, back in '06 I bought a really cool looking T-Shirt when GU played Duke at Madison Square Garden. It had Spike in a Santa hat dunking a basketball. You all remember we got clobbered that game and whenever I wore that shirt on game day the Zags would lose - including the notorious Steph Curry game. Before the W Kentucky 2nd round game the next season, my family (including my sons) gathered and we ripped that shirt apart, doused it in rum and burned it in the yard. Everybody then took a shot right before tip off. We all know what happened next. Meech hit the game winning shot to put us into the Sweet 16. I hate to think what would have happened if we hadn't exorcised the demons in that damned shirt.

What about the rest of you? How do you crank up the mojo for the Zags for the dance?

Remember, it's not weird if it works!

ZZ

SorenTodd45
03-19-2019, 01:24 PM
I have a pair of blue boxer-briefs and a pair of grey ones (I pretend they are silver). I wear one color on game day, and if the Zags are playing poorly, I switch to the other pair.

gueastcoast
03-19-2019, 01:30 PM
Another great thread.

I have a closet full of Zags t-shirts that are curated depending on the type of game (too complicated/boring to get into here, lol). And of course I change the rules when the mood suits.

In the 2015 Elite Eight year I had this thing about adjusting the lighting in the room (typically my den) depending on the ebb and flow of the game. Superstitious much?

A bit OT, but I was so anxious during the Wichita State game that I overimbibed a bit and to this day I don't understand how we lost the lead, because, well, I was having a hard time following the flow of the game in real time :eek:

LongIslandZagFan
03-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Only one current shirt seems to be lucky. Will be wearing that one throughout the tourney.

gonzagafan62
03-19-2019, 01:42 PM
Nothing. I used to and none of them got me to the final four :(

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 03:03 PM
If they fall behind by significant amount (greater than 6), I turn the game off, call my dad to have him call and let me know if they're back in it. He near always calls, they're back in it, big.

billyberu
03-20-2019, 09:11 AM
Never ever participate in threads predicting the final score. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

GrizZAG
03-20-2019, 09:27 AM
If they fall behind by significant amount (greater than 6), I turn the game off, call my dad to have him call and let me know if they're back in it. He near always calls, they're back in it, big.

You must be related to my wife!! She can't stand the stress of watching so goes to the bedroom. She says it just stresses her out too much. Once they are up by 30 she'll come out of the hole and watch, or...wait till the game is over and ask me to rewind it. That anxiety is overwhelming in tight games at times for sure...

LongIslandZagFan
03-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Never ever participate in threads predicting the final score. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

LOL

FlyZag
03-20-2019, 09:35 AM
No "team or sports themed food"...

Everytime my wife makes Zag/Seahawk themed food ... We lose. So.. I no longer get such things as Bulldog cookies, Zag nachos, Hawk dip, etc.

The sacrifices I make to ensure a team win.

CDC84
03-20-2019, 09:49 AM
I shake my Spike bobble head at the TV screen during tense moments. Doesn't always work though.

ZagsGoZags
03-20-2019, 09:50 AM
stay in my chair and keep cool, keep thinking of how they could win.
DO NOT get on the floor and crawl toward the TV in a begging position. That's what I did when UCLA came from behind in 2006. Convinced me that praying is not enough. Or else god liked the bruins more.

NotoriousZ
03-20-2019, 09:59 AM
I used to have a lucky shirt, but it lost two or three times and the last one was a big game and the shirt had to go. Of coarse it was red (I should have known better).

Now during big games if I’m pacing back and forth in front of the tv I will switch from standing to sitting in the recliner if the game isn’t going well (or start pacing if I’m in the recliner). The Zags usually respond to my methodology. :)

scrooner
03-20-2019, 11:52 AM
We rub Gnomey's head.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41tScwCy60L.jpg

Zagceo
03-20-2019, 11:58 AM
I clap and yell loud for all good plays.

It works about .8236 percent of the time

sullyzag66
03-20-2019, 12:15 PM
I start out following on the Game Thread. When, based on the comments, I’m convinced they’re down by 20, I turn in the TV and find they’re up by 15.

gu03alum
03-20-2019, 12:18 PM
Drink good beer

LongIslandZagFan
03-20-2019, 12:19 PM
I start out following on the Game Thread. When, based on the comments, I’m convinced they’re down by 20, I turn in the TV and find they’re up by 15.

:roll:

Yeah... that sums those threads up. Not my cup of tea, but more power to the folks that like them.

LongIslandZagFan
03-20-2019, 12:19 PM
Drink good beer

Glad I have a six tap keezer to give me options.

gu03alum
03-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Glad I have a six tap keezer to give me options.

Very smart. That is so awesome! very jealous!

I am going to the bottle shop tonight that has 40 taps. I'm going to get a couple of Crowlers filled in anticipation of the game.

ZagsGoZags
03-20-2019, 12:38 PM
when Notorious said: The Zags usually respond to my methodology;
I thought I would reply with yes about 82% of the time,
but then saw Zagceo had already covered that base.
The two times I begged/prayed were in that 18% - I have definitely got to find a greater mystical force.

bartruff1
03-20-2019, 12:40 PM
Zero

77Zag
03-20-2019, 12:42 PM
V O D K A

zagzilla
03-20-2019, 02:07 PM
My son was a student at GU when Zags lost to Syracuse. They threw every orange thing in the house into the back yard and tried to burn it including a costco sized box of cheetos.

Hopefully that did the trick if we wind up playing the Orange again Saturday.

ZZ

bartruff1
03-20-2019, 03:38 PM
This is nuts...but at least you are not sacrificing animals or perfectly good virgins....

BayAreaZagFan
03-20-2019, 03:47 PM
I had a GO ZAGS wallpaper that I used on the lock screen of my phone in 2017 when the tournament began and it was on there through the National Championship game. After the loss, I retired it and hadn't used it since. This year, after the loss to UNC, I brought it out of retirement and it worked perfectly up until last week. I'm not ready to give up on it, and I'm thinking now it could be the combination of what I have on the lock screen and the home screen, so I'll keep the GO ZAGS as a lock screen and very, very carefully choose the proper complementary home screen wallpaper. I'm currently leaning toward a high-level Google maps view centering on Minneapolis. I've been spending entirely too much time thinking about this the past few days.