PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL GAME THREAD = FIRST FOUR, MARCH 19 FROM DAYTON

CDC84
03-19-2019, 10:25 AM
All times PT:

3:40pm = (16) Prairie View A&M vs. (16) Farleigh Dickinson, TruTV (winner takes on the Zags)

approx. 6:10pm = (11) Temple vs. (11) Belmont, TruTV

ZagNative
03-19-2019, 12:27 PM
TruTV is Comcast channel #705 in Spokane.

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 12:29 PM
Don't know about our opponent.

I do know I hope Belmont wins!

gonstu
03-19-2019, 12:43 PM
Kind of fun to scout the first-4 match up for our first game Thursday. Though I'm sure coaches would rather have only 1 team to scout instead of 2.

Hoopaholic
03-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Kind of fun to scout the first-4 match up for our first game Thursday. Though I'm sure coaches would rather have only 1 team to scout instead of 2.

split duties one assistant gets one team another assistant gets the other team

meanwhile others starting in on Syracuse and Baylor

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 03:19 PM
I just had the fear of god run through my spine. We downsized cable a while back. Went with the college sports cable package, had all the news channels, and a bunch of others, but I lost Science Channel, History Channel, Smithsonian channel, IOW my few favs. I worried we'd cut Tru, TBS, and I'd have never noticed, prior to madness that is.

We have it.

Major relief.

gonstu
03-19-2019, 03:22 PM
Who are we rooting for in this game - who do we want to face?

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 03:25 PM
I wonder why Dayton?

Not dissing Dayton. And I see why they have it in a mid-size city, make it a big deal.

I see why they have all four at same place. Makes it easier on TV.

But, why not Missoula? Reno? Ogden?

Why not rotate "regions" with a place not hosting the tourney?

Mobile, Monroe, El Paso Ö.

Seems like it would be fun.

CDC84
03-19-2019, 03:31 PM
I wonder why Dayton?

Not dissing Dayton. And I see why they have it in a mid-size city, make it a big deal.

I see why they have all four at same place. Makes it easier on TV.

But, why not Missoula? Reno? Ogden?

Why not rotate "regions" with a place not hosting the tourney?

Mobile, Monroe, El Paso ….

Seems like it would be fun.

It's because Dayton has always supported the Play In game(s) and has embraced it from the very beginning. Back when it was just a play in game with 16 seeds, the games were a total sell out. Very few cities in this country would provide that kind of support to those sorts of teams. According to the NCAA, no other cities really have much interest. The Dayton crowd is better than any other NCAA tournament subregional site. Dayton LOVES their basketball. My gripe is that they don't get to host subregionals as much because of their dedication to hosting the first four.

It's almost sort of on the middle of the map. Lastly, I think from a logistical point of view the NCAA wants it to be the same city every year. It's just easier to do it that way. The University of Dayton Arena is also the perfect size for the games. Not too big, but big enough. I don't think you'll ever see it moved unless the arena gets torn down or remodeled. Their citizens are to be commended. You watch many of these first weekend games, and the venues are half full. Dayton people cheer on the 16 seeds like it's Duke and UNC.

sittingon50
03-19-2019, 03:34 PM
I believe (part) of the reason is it is more centrally located to the majority of sub-regionals.

(edit: typing over the top of CDC).

Akzag
03-19-2019, 03:36 PM
Who are we rooting for in this game - who do we want to face?

Personally, I want FD ... though PV A&M likes to play at our pace.

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 03:37 PM
It's because Dayton has always supported the Play In game(s) and has embraced it from the very beginning. Back when it was just a play in game with 16 seeds, the games were a total sell out. Very few cities in this country would provide that kind of support to those sorts of teams. According to the NCAA, no other cities really have much interest. The Dayton crowd is better than any other NCAA tournament subregional site. Dayton LOVES their basketball. My gripe is that they don't get to host subregionals as much because of their dedication to hosting the first four.

It's almost sort of on the middle of the map. Lastly, I think from a logistical point of view the NCAA wants it to be the same city every year. It's just easier to do it that way. The University of Dayton Arena is also the perfect size for the games. Not too big, but big enough. I don't think you'll ever see it moved unless the arena gets torn down or remodeled. Their citizens are to be commended. You watch many of these first weekend games, and the venues are half full. Dayton people cheer on the 16 seeds like it's Duke and UNC. .

Fair enough.

It seems to me that some smaller cities would embrace it, too. Though, I suppose they have folks smarter than me who've thought of it and run the numbers.

*Okay, another great thing about March Madness: The Spike Lee, Samuel Jackson, and Barkley commercials. The ones in the car, with the millionaires pretending to drive to the games were classic. But all are funny.

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 03:51 PM
Looking for a 4 OT instant classic in the first game.

CDC84
03-19-2019, 03:56 PM
It's funny that you mention Ogden Dixie, because the NCAA tournament used to REGULARLY award Ogden NCAA tournament subregionals. The Dee Events Center seats 11,592. It might be seen as too small now.

I am sure the NCAA with their hypocritical stance on gambling would object to any NCAA tournament event being held in a gambling city like Reno. Plus, Lawlor is about the exact same size as the Dee Events Center. I wonder if their stance will change with the city of Vegas building their dome for the Raiders. Vegas is obviously an ideal final four city in terms of infrastructure.

They seem to want to stage these events in cities that have a certain population level. Dayton's metro/urban area is like around 750K.

I wish they would bring more games to college campuses, but they have so many stipulations now. The Pit in ABQ, one of the five greatest college basketball venues in this nation (and the site of possibly the most famous play in the history of the game at any level), will never host a NCAA tournament again because there is not enough space between the floor and the seats after the latest remodel, and they do not have a removable floor. It's bull. They also only have one ramp from the floor. Tingley Coliseum at the fairgrounds is an aging dump. But man, why doesn't a legendary place like Allen Fieldhouse ever get to host a subregional. It's plenty big. They probably don't have the infrastructure. I was told that even the relatively brand new hockey arena in the city of Pittsburgh was ill-equipped for staging their recent subregional. You have 8 teams (and all their staff people) and hoards of media who need access to the players and coaches in a press room but also in the locker rooms. I guess it is a major production to put together.

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 04:04 PM
It's funny that you mention Ogden Dixie, because the NCAA tournament used to REGULARLY award Ogden NCAA tournament subregionals. The Dee Events Center seats 11,592. It might be seen as too small now.

I am sure the NCAA with their hypocritical stance on gambling would object to any NCAA tournament event being held in a gambling city like Reno. Plus, Lawlor is about the exact same size as the Dee Events Center. I wonder if their stance will change with the city of Vegas building their dome for the Raiders. Vegas is obviously an ideal final four city in terms of infrastructure.

They seem to want to stage these events in cities that have a certain population level. Dayton's metro/urban area is like around 750K.

I wish they would bring more games to college campuses, but they have so many stipulations now. The Pit in ABQ, one of the five greatest college basketball venues in this nation (and the site of possibly the most famous play in the history of the game at any level), will never host a NCAA tournament again because there is not enough space between the floor and the seats after the latest remodel, and they do not have a removable floor. It's bull. They also only have one ramp from the floor. Tingley Coliseum at the fairgrounds is an aging dump. But man, why doesn't a legendary place like Allen Fieldhouse ever get to host a subregional. It's plenty big. They probably don't have the infrastructure. I was told that even the relatively brand new hockey arena in the city of Pittsburgh was ill-equipped for staging their recent subregional. You have 8 teams (and all their staff people) and hoards of media who need access to the players and coaches in a press room but also in the locker rooms. I guess it is a major production to put together.

Funny enough, I actually saw a regional in Ogden. It is a great arena to watch basketball.

I saw Never Nervous Pervis Ellison of Louisville.

And saw North Carolina almostlose to an undermanned Utah team that had a frosh 6'9 center who played out of his mind.

We saw another year of games in Ogden, though I don't remember the teams near as well, at all, actually.

gonstu
03-19-2019, 04:04 PM
I'm not able to watch right now but I see it's 19-6 -yikes! How's prairie looking?

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 04:05 PM
I confess that I'd rather not see a team (Prairie View) hit every 3 they take.

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 04:06 PM
I'm not able to watch right now but I see it's 19-6 -yikes! How's prairie looking?

Hit a lot of 3s early but missed a couple now.

gonstu
03-19-2019, 04:07 PM
Hit a lot of 3s early but missed a couple now.

I'll pass on the team that takes a lot of 3's.

sittingon50
03-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Just upgraded my cable so I can watch.

WCC/PAC REF Kevin Brill (the one with hair!) working this game.

NEC26
03-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Neither of these teams will give us a serious threat. Turnovers galore, no inside play at all.

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Prairie View plays FAST, although relatively speaking, it will be like when we tried to run with FSU last year = fail.

No one is slowing down Clarke or Rui on either team.

FDU likes to SHOOT. and fearless doing so.

Both teams have made tough shots thus far, Fairleigh more athletic than I anticipated, and A&M play faster than I realized.

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 04:22 PM
I like that FDU zones a lot, at least it'd help prepare for Baylor (1-3-1 zone 80%), and Cuse (2-3 roving zone 100%).

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Both teams shooting over 40% from 3pt. A&M is 6-9 from 3pt.

FDU shoots 40% 3pt as team on the season.

Fairleigh has a big guy who is same size as Clarke. Big kid, rebounds pretty well

TheZagPhish
03-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Prairie View snappy with those triggers.

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Prairie View snappy with those triggers.

pretty good speed all around the court. could take a few mins to adjust to them. much faster pace/players than any WCC team we've played.

FDU has decent size guys and shoot well

Akzag
03-19-2019, 04:28 PM
PVAM 8-12 from 3

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 04:30 PM
Can one of the basketball people here (RTZ) explain why facing a team w/o our athletes to run? Seems like that plays into our hands.

Both teams shooting better than I'd have liked to see.

Neither looks that bad, quite frankly. A little goofy in the drives to the basket, but other than that, I'm impressed.

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 04:30 PM
PVAM 8-12 from 3

heck, we need a healthy Perkins to help defend these lightning bugs on the court. they fly around!

we have two common opponents with Prairie View -- they beat Santa Clara by 17 earlier this season, and went 2-1 vs Texas Southern.

They have won 21 of their last 22 games too.

CarolinaZagFan
03-19-2019, 04:32 PM
And here we go! Welcome to the week that Tru TV isn’t showing Impractical Jokers around the clock.

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 04:32 PM
PVAM 8-12 from 3

Maybe get it out of their systems now?

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 04:36 PM
heck, we need a healthy Perkins to help defend these lightning bugs on the court. they fly around!

we have two common opponents with Prairie View -- they beat Santa Clara by 17 earlier this season, and went 2-1 vs Texas Southern.

They have won 21 of their last 22 games too.

A little better than we'd prefer to see out of 16 seed? Though sCU was playing terrible pre-conference.

Tex So not that bad a team, either.

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 04:42 PM
we match-up better with A&M. They are a 31% 3pt shooting team on the season, and their pace is fast, free, and uptempo. A lot of possessions/shots play right into our hands.

Our comfort zone. A&M also runs a 4 guard offense and limited size on the court. They rely on speed, gambles, and taking quick shots.

Fairleigh Dickinson, on the other hand is a 40% 3pt shooting team, and feature more size (6'8" 245lbs, 6'7 215lbs, 6'7' 205lbs frontcourt). Pretty decent offensive rebounding team, a more controlled pace/tempo, and can hit perimeter shots.

FDU is struggling with the speed and penetration of PVA&M, and zoning, yet doing a bit better on the boards and not shooting as well as they normally do, while A&M is shooting off the chain.

We would be much more comfortable playing in the open court with A&M, and we simply out match them in the paint.

In terms of a "tune up" or challenge, I'd rather face FDU, yet in terms of running away from a team and gaining confidence, I'd rather face PVA&M.

NEC26
03-19-2019, 04:47 PM
If FDU quits turning the ball over at an alarming pace they will come back and win I bet. Not that I care, I think PV has no chance against us.

NEC26
03-19-2019, 04:52 PM
So many turnovers

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 04:52 PM
If FDU quits turning the ball over at an alarming pace they will come back and win I bet. Not that I care, I think PV has no chance against us.

I feel FDU has a better chance vs us than A&M, no doubt, yet not sure if FDU will be able to contain their 3pt shooting tonight. Fairleigh has more size than I realized.

A quote from PVA&M Coach:

“Nobody is expecting us to go out there and beat [Fairleigh] Dickinson or beat Gonzaga, but we’re gonna do it. We’re gonna show the world. That’s the plan.”

https://theundefeated.com/features/a-midseason-change-got-prairie-view-into-a-championship-mindset/

gonstu
03-19-2019, 04:53 PM
we match-up better with A&M. They are a 31% 3pt shooting team on the season, and their pace is fast, free, and uptempo. A lot of possessions/shots play right into our hands.

Our comfort zone. A&M also runs a 4 guard offense and limited size on the court. They rely on speed, gambles, and taking quick shots.

Fairleigh Dickinson, on the other hand is a 40% 3pt shooting team, and feature more size (6'8" 245lbs, 6'7 215lbs, 6'7' 205lbs frontcourt). Pretty decent offensive rebounding team, a more controlled pace/tempo, and can hit perimeter shots.

FDU is struggling with the speed and penetration of PVA&M, and zoning, yet doing a bit better on the boards and not shooting as well as they normally do, while A&M is shooting off the chain.

We would be much more comfortable playing in the open court with A&M, and we simply out match them in the paint.

In terms of a "tune up" or challenge, I'd rather face FDU, yet in terms of running away from a team and gaining confidence, I'd rather face PVA&M.

Forget the challenge - give me the easier game!

CDC84
03-19-2019, 04:55 PM
According to Dan Murphy at ESPN, FD came into tonight's game as one of the 10 best 3-point shooting teams in the country. So far it's Prairie View A&M making the difference behind the arc with 8-of-12 shooting from deep to lead at half time.

The 3 point shot is the great equalizer with teams at this level.

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Forget the challenge - give me the easier game!

A&M might win this one yet FDU would give us a better game.

We would dominate A&M after the first 5 mins of running around, although we will have to defend soundly.

FDU could go toe-to-toe on the boards with us, some solid athletes/size down low, and can shoot well on average.

NEC26
03-19-2019, 04:57 PM
FDU has bigger players but they are not particularly talented. Give some credit to PV for causing turnovers but they will really struggle against GU if they win.
No size and even though they are hitting threes now they are not a good shooting team.
I would expect a 30+ point win.

jazzdelmar
03-19-2019, 04:59 PM
Do you think there are GU coaches actually at the game in Dayton? Would seem a competitive disadvantage to lose in person staff time at practice/prep right before their own game.

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Do you think there are GU coaches actually at the game in Dayton? Would seem a competitive disadvantage to lose in person staff time at practice/prep right before their own game.

I would highly doubt it. Don't know, though.

I agree with you, being down one coach for the most important practices, coaches' meetings, all that seems like it would be way too high a cost.

Both teams sure do play fast. But, real lose with the ball.

gonstu
03-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Seattle beat PV 102-64!

NEC26
03-19-2019, 05:20 PM
PV is definitely not as good as FDU but they are riding a lot of turn overs and some hot shooting. We will see if they can hold on.

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 05:24 PM
FDU has 12 offensive rebounds and have a dude down low.

Reminds me of a taller Jeremy Jones

A poor mans Jordan Ford at PG too.

FDU is really good 3pt team as well, so they can shoot and then rebound shots.

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 05:24 PM
FDU storming back.

Impressive.

Fantastic game, too.

Fine by me, let them battle each other out to exhaustion.

jazzdelmar
03-19-2019, 05:26 PM
Didn’t Dayton actually play one year in this game? Who’s gonna stop Jenkins? Or Edge?

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 05:26 PM
Jenkins playing out of his mind.

NEC26
03-19-2019, 05:27 PM
Jahlil Jenkins has talent.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Fairly Ridiculous has some good guards.

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 05:31 PM
Fairly Ridiculous has some good guards.

And a muscled up atheltic big who can rebound, put packs, and a couple good moves

thespywhozaggedme
Didn’t Dayton actually play one year in this game? Who’s gonna stop Jenkins? Or Edge?

Yes against Boise State. It was a direct violation of NCAA rules and they overlooked it. A literal home game of 10,000 screaming lunatics all cheering for Dayton in Dayton; one of the biggest travesties in the history of College sports.

SorenTodd45
Would be funny if there was some way of measuring the audience for this game, and it was 95% Zag fans.

IowaSERE
03-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Didnít Dayton actually play one year in this game? Whoís gonna stop Jenkins? Or Edge?

Crandle on Jenks

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 05:34 PM
Edge for FDU is 7-9 3pt. That's amazing

Zagsker
03-19-2019, 05:34 PM
And here we go! Welcome to the week that Tru TV isnít showing Impractical Jokers around the clock.

Lol..exactly

jazzdelmar
03-19-2019, 05:35 PM
Every bit as good as Ford.

Jahlil Jenkins has talent.

jazzdelmar
03-19-2019, 05:36 PM
Huh? Jenks on Jenks? :drool:

Crandle on Jenks

gonstu
03-19-2019, 05:37 PM
Crandle on Jenks

Jenks can guard Jenkins

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2019, 05:39 PM
This game is freaking awesome!

CdAZagFan
This is a great game... is it too much to ask for 2-3 OTs?

gonstu
WHOA!

SorenTodd45
03-19-2019, 05:41 PM
I haven't been this excited for a First 4 game in like, forever.

gonstu
03-19-2019, 05:46 PM
I haven't been this excited for a First 4 game in like, forever.

Me too

NEC26
03-19-2019, 05:46 PM
I expect we will be pounding them inside with regularity. Their big has butter fingers and turns it over at a high rate.
If we stop dribble penetration there is no way they keep it close.

jazzdelmar
03-19-2019, 05:47 PM
They lost 15 in a row as frosh? Now look. Why doesn’t that ever happen to GU? :roll:

raise the zag
03-19-2019, 05:47 PM
I expect we will be pounding them inside with regularity. Their big has butter fingers and turns it over at a high rate.
If we stop dribble penetration there is no way they keep it close.

They are a tremendous 3pt shooting team. That alone, gives them a chance

gonzagafan62
03-19-2019, 05:48 PM

This

sittingon50
03-19-2019, 05:49 PM
USD 30
Memphis 37

At the half. USD turnin' the ball over.

NEC26
03-19-2019, 05:50 PM

And if we stop dribble penetration they won't have much opportunity to shoot the three.
They can't work it inside out with their big. It will lead to many turnovers as he can't catch the ball, dribble, or pass at a college level.

bballbeachbum
03-19-2019, 05:53 PM
PV with no rim protection, makes this game d ifficult to gauge

Zags superior depth inside, can run FDU off the three point line

NEC26
03-19-2019, 06:24 PM
Go Belmont!

sittingon50
03-19-2019, 06:54 PM
USD 60
Memphis 74

NEC26
03-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Temple Belmont game has been a lot of fun.

NEC26
03-19-2019, 08:23 PM
Glad Belmont got their first tournament win. I hope they knock off Maryland as well.

seacatfan
03-20-2019, 12:47 PM
Yes against Boise State. It was a direct violation of NCAA rules and they overlooked it. A literal home game of 10,000 screaming lunatics all cheering for Dayton in Dayton; one of the biggest travesties in the history of College sports.

Really? Biggest travesties in history? Overreact much? Do you know that every year, 16 D1 women's teams get to host 1st and 2nd Round games? Is that also a travesty?

seacatfan
03-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Loyola of Chicago went from a Final 4 to a first round loss in the NIT the next year. Not the next Gonzaga apparently. Lost to Creighton 70-61.

bartruff1
03-20-2019, 12:53 PM
I really admire the FD coach...he is witty and had a health crises last year that put things in perspective....he doesn't whine or complain and the team is great fun to watch....makes March special to see these teams that don't feel entitled....