PDA

View Full Version : WCC Related

sittingon50
03-17-2019, 04:46 PM
kenpom has SMC as only a 1 point loser to Nova.

USD in NIT.

rawkmandale
03-17-2019, 04:54 PM

USD in NIT.

USD playing Memphis on Tuesday at 5 PM - in Memphis - tough game.

SorenTodd45
03-17-2019, 05:44 PM
If this is the WCC thread ----------------- San Diego got the NIT bid and the Dons got screwed. How do they get left out?

KStyles
03-17-2019, 05:46 PM
LMU is playing in the CBI. @Cal Baptist on 3/20 at 7pm.

kdaleb
03-17-2019, 07:28 PM
If this is the WCC thread ----------------- San Diego got the NIT bid and the Dons got screwed. How do they get left out?

And how did BYU get left out too?? Pretty shocking to me that the #8 conference gets three total teams into the NCAA & NIT.

Spink
03-17-2019, 07:44 PM
NIT didnt take BYU - BYU announced they wouldn't play in any tournament...according to a twitter post I saw.

CDC84
03-17-2019, 08:22 PM
I bet the league office is not happy that SMC and GU will be playing at the same time. At this time of year, unless you really hate a league team or you're facing a league team, you tend to root for each other.

ZagOD7540
03-17-2019, 08:32 PM
I bet the league office is not happy that SMC and GU will be playing at the same time. At this time of year, unless you really hate a league team or you're facing a league team, you tend to root for each other.

No chance I root for smc. Hope Nova pounds them

upan8th
03-17-2019, 08:57 PM
Why? The Gaels, with a brilliant game plan, beat us straight up. Are you saying that you want Villanova to demonstrate to the world that, yes indeed, Gonzaga this year, and every year previous, and forever after, is always grossly overrated, a fraud? Time to rethink things, pal.

zagzilla
03-17-2019, 08:59 PM
Time to set aside the antipathy for the Gaels. Every game they play earns the WCC a "share" which is about $1.6M spread over several (5?) years. Shares are distributed to all WCC teams including us, so every game they play gets us something like $25K per year for ~5 years.

So "Go WCC", though I don't see them getting past 'Nova anyway

No idea how NIT pays out but I think USD can take Memphis even on the road.

USF lost their last 4 in a row which sealed their fate. Too bad, they had a good season going before that. BYU lost 2 of their last 3 including 2 blowouts to USD and GU. Maybe they were just trying to avoid some further embarrassment by sitting out the post-season. If Utah State beats UW, does that make Rose's seat even hotter?

ZZ

northsidezagfan
03-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Why? The Gaels, with a brilliant game plan, beat us straight up. Are you saying that you want Villanova to demonstrate to the world that, yes indeed, Gonzaga this year, and every year previous, and forever after, is always grossly overrated, a fraud? Time to rethink things, pal.

Or we could just win our games to prove we are not a fraud instead of relying on SMC to prove it for us? I hope SMC loses too.

northsidezagfan
03-17-2019, 10:33 PM
Time to set aside the antipathy for the Gaels. Every game they play earns the WCC a "share" which is about $1.6M spread over several (5?) years. Shares are distributed to all WCC teams including us, so every game they play gets us something like $25K per year for ~5 years.

So "Go WCC", though I don't see them getting past 'Nova anyway

No idea how NIT pays out but I think USD can take Memphis even on the road.

USF lost their last 4 in a row which sealed their fate. Too bad, they had a good season going before that. BYU lost 2 of their last 3 including 2 blowouts to USD and GU. Maybe they were just trying to avoid some further embarrassment by sitting out the post-season. If Utah State beats UW, does that make Rose's seat even hotter?

ZZ

Based on the tens of millions Gonzaga has generated for the conference and the relative lack of progress that has been made as a result, I don’t think a few extra dollars is enough to make a difference. And definitely not enough to make it worth rooting for randy bennett.

When I played sports in college I sure as heck didn’t root for the rest of the conference, really don’t get this mindset.

sittingon50
03-17-2019, 10:58 PM
Tough crowd.

demian
03-17-2019, 11:00 PM
No chance I root for smc. Hope Nova pounds them

Me too. I actually have always been a nova fan and i hate st mary

CDC84
03-18-2019, 01:49 AM
Well at the very least, some people would actually like to see the game as they are a WCC team. Maybe you can watch the game and root for SMC to get pounded?

It's not like the WCC is a league that will ever get six teams in every year. I have to believe the commish and the other folks in San Bruno are not happy. Even if St. Mary's played in the morning, they'd prefer it so that both teams had their own time slot to showcase the league.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-18-2019, 02:26 AM
Tough crowd.

Yeah. I donít get it. Iím definitely rooting for the Gaels. A good showing in the tourney by another WCC team is nothing but good for Zags.

Some in ZagNation May be taking an annual tourney bid for granted. As soon as next season Zags could quite possibly be a bubble team hoping the committee respects their conference enough to give them an at-large bid.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-18-2019, 02:36 AM

Let’s hope for a repeat of the outcome from the last NCAA meeting between these teams.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/100318/GAL-10Mar18-4097/media/PHO-10Mar18-212980.jpg

From the Washington Post.

ZagOD7540
03-18-2019, 05:06 AM
Or we could just win our games to prove we are not a fraud instead of relying on SMC to prove it for us? I hope SMC loses too.

Bingo!

LongIslandZagFan
03-18-2019, 07:15 AM
I guess I don't get the total hatred of SMC. I really don't. The Samhan years... ok... maybe.

You can sit there and say.. well all this money hasn't made a difference... yadda... yadda... yadda. JMHO, that is a simplistic way of looking at it. What the WCC needs to do, besides spending more money on their programs, is to step up recruiting to bring in higher caliber players. Kids are going to want to see a conference that puts teams in to the tourney and win some games here and there. Did wonders for the Zags. You want to whine and moan about the conference not being up to par... fine... don't completely disagree with you on it. But if that is what you want, why in God's name would you root against the conference when it's profile nationally among recruits has a chance to improve?

23dpg
03-18-2019, 07:53 AM
Count me in as a St Mary’s fan. I’m an underdog kinda guy and they check all the boxes.
I respect that they have built a program that can challenge Gonzaga at times.
I’ve always been a Nova fan (1986 the ultimate underdog) but I’m pulling the the Gaels to win and advance.

ZagNut08
03-18-2019, 08:01 AM
WCC teams winning in the post season legitimizes the WCC and thus diminishes the argument against Gonzaga playing in a weak conference. That, and the $$ helps...so I'll pull for conference teams to win.

ZagsObserver
03-18-2019, 08:04 AM
I’ll cheer for the Gaels.

Agree, somewhat odd that USF is out while USD is in. I guess they put a lot of weight on recent games.

FlyZag
03-18-2019, 08:12 AM
Go Zags, Go Gaels! Go WCC!

Zaga
03-18-2019, 08:22 AM
I hope the Gaels win. If they play like they did against us they will advance.

Zagdawg
03-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Go Gaels! I am a fan for their tourney run.

TexasZagFan
03-18-2019, 09:01 AM
Go Gaels! I am a fan for their tourney run.

As is every swimming coach in the WCC! :lmao:

webspinnre
03-18-2019, 09:55 AM
I always cheer for the Gaels in the NCAA tourney, though am bummed they're up against Villanova, as I usually cheer for Nova as well.

adoptedzag
03-18-2019, 10:04 AM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/068/362/702.jpg

MickMick
03-18-2019, 10:08 AM
I hope SMC beats every team not named Gonzaga in the tournament.

I hope USD wins the NIT. Five Big East teams in the NIT. Back in the day, that league would regularly put 6-8 teams into the NCAA tournament. Now the majority are landing in the NIT.

zagamatic
03-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Heck, I'd like another chance at St Mary's THIS SEASON for a little payback. Not to mention that it would make people's heads explode to have us and them in the championship game. One can only dream :pray:

zagdontzig
03-18-2019, 10:30 AM

+1

maynard g krebs
03-18-2019, 12:37 PM

With auto bids for conference reg season winners, there aren't that many spots available in a 32 team field. I thought teams like Utah and Oregon State were a pretty sure thing; Pac only got Colorado.

And, I don't get the hate for the Gaels. Much better for perception of the Zags if they do well, obviously. I'll be rooting for them when I watch the tape after the Zags play.

westcoasthoops1
03-18-2019, 12:59 PM
We should be rooting for all other WCC teams in OOC games and postseason games.

Birddog
03-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Why do you constantly bash the Olympic Sports? Funding of Olympic sports by utilizing profits from so called major sports is a time honored tradition all across the NCAA. Many times the funding of swimming and diving is solely for womens teams to maintain "Title 9" compliance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Conference

LongIslandZagFan
03-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Here is a newsflash. Zags could win the Natty and there would still be people trying to de-legitimize it because of the conference. Zags going to the F4/NC game had little to no impact on the folks who hate on GU. So actively rooting against the conference makes you not terribly better than the people you are trying to prove a point to.

TexasZagFan
03-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Why do you constantly bash the Olympic Sports? Funding of Olympic sports by utilizing profits from so called major sports is a time honored tradition all across the NCAA. Many times the funding of swimming and diving is solely for womens teams to maintain "Title 9" compliance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Conference

Sorry...old joke.

PS. I was on the GU rifle team way back when. Our practice range was on the 4th floor of the Ad Building. Couldn't do that today. It was quite a trek, getting the rifle from the ROTC weapons room in the basement, then marching up the 4 flights of stairs.

TexasZagFan
03-18-2019, 01:43 PM
Here is a newsflash. Zags could win the Natty and there would still be people trying to de-legitimize it because of the conference. Zags going to the F4/NC game had little to no impact on the folks who hate on GU. So actively rooting against the conference makes you not terribly better than the people you are trying to prove a point to.

Good points, LIZF. I'll be rooting for SMC, my original prediction was based on the jet lag the Gaels are going to encounter, something they may not be ready for. If they can get off to a good start, anything can happen.

Birddog
03-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Sorry...old joke.

PS. I was on the GU rifle team way back when. Our practice range was on the 4th floor of the Ad Building. Couldn't do that today. It was quite a trek, getting the rifle from the ROTC weapons room in the basement, then marching up the 4 flights of stairs.

I'm very familiar with the old rifle range. It was one of the doors we routinely rattled as kids and occasionally it was left unlocked. It was very cool walking above the old gym up there.

NotoriousZ
03-18-2019, 04:30 PM
I guess I don't get the total hatred of SMC. I really don't. The Samhan years... ok... maybe.

You can sit there and say.. well all this money hasn't made a difference... yadda... yadda... yadda. JMHO, that is a simplistic way of looking at it. What the WCC needs to do, besides spending more money on their programs, is to step up recruiting to bring in higher caliber players. Kids are going to want to see a conference that puts teams in to the tourney and win some games here and there. Did wonders for the Zags. You want to whine and moan about the conference not being up to par... fine... don't completely disagree with you on it. But if that is what you want, why in God's name would you root against the conference when it's profile nationally among recruits has a chance to improve?

Well said. We should all want the WCC to do better and it starts with recruiting.

But yes, I rooted against the Ham Sammich Gaels in the tournament.

northsidezagfan
03-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Another newsflash: lots of sports fans root against their rivals! Itís been happening for years! And itís really fun! I donít root against our conference, I root against a team I donít like that happens to be in our conference.

The WCC is what it is ( as much as I hate that phrase), and I kinda form my whole opinion on that perspective. Itís gone from being ranked in the 13-15 range 10 years ago to the 8-10 range now, mainly on the back of Gonzaga being what it is, a decent BYU team joining and the dregs being ranked closer to 200 than 300. Top of the conference really hasnít gotten better, which is what these critics would actually notice.

If we win a national championship and it doesnít shut critics up, who cares? Why would anyone care about these people? People that matter, like Dominick Harris, Anton Watson, Drew Timme, Jalen Suggs, the coaching staff obviously donít care. They took note of our final four. If we win it all this year and someone de-legitimizes it, they would do so whether or not SMC beats a 9 loss Nova team.

Zagceo
03-18-2019, 07:36 PM
Listened to Turner Head coach of Irvine today on radio in LA....said they played 4 cash games and still won 30...very hard to do says him

2 of those cash games SMC & Santa Clara

NEC26
03-18-2019, 08:01 PM
I'll be rooting for SMC to win. I'm afraid it won't change anything. Villanova is going to beat them.

MDABE80
03-18-2019, 08:15 PM
SMC= good program. good kids like our own and a good/great coach ( grumpy though he be). Hope they do well in this year NCAA tournament.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
03-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Several things: #1 some smart money is on St Marys to be in the sweet 16. Randy is an amazing coach, but so is the coach from Nova. If I had to guess I will pick St. Mary's-- for reasons of homer-ism and I feel bad that well, I think Randy is a good coach but he just doesn't have a Tommy Lloyd working with him . . . # 2. Yeah, I root for the Zags. I graduated from there (here) and I can remember heading to the gym from CM, drunk, to watch John Stockton-- I was there for many of the great moments and am deeply invested in the program . . .#3 I'm from the inland northwest; how can you not root for WSU, EWU, UM, Idaho? Well, I guess if your heart needs to grow three times this day, but seriously, I live here. So, that is one of the things that irritates me about the "should not play WSU because we just might lose, oh, that is so sad, oh, wow". Because the truth is that while I live and breathe for GU, I also root for the other folks in the NW. Sorry, that is the way it is going to be-- I also went to a school in Kansas and I got a pretty cool degree at the University of Maine (hey, our women are a 13 seed against UNC, and it is not inconceivable to pull off the upset)

Anyway, that is the long and short of it. I love GU but I root for others, too. I think building the programs at WSU, EWU, UM, and UI would help Gonzaga in the long run-- I guess it doesn't matter in the sense that we are never going to do a darn thing to help anyone but ourselves, and I am sure most of you think that is cool, but since I think a rising tide lifts all boats I do not think its cool, I think it stinks, and I think the underlying reason is fear, and its not pretty. #4 Go Zags

Kemo 1966
03-18-2019, 08:48 PM

USD in NIT.

With some 'attitude' and if they keep improving they way they did down the stretch... SMC CAN WIN THEIR FIRST TWO NCAA GAMES! That would put a sour #### Magnolia Garden Club in a thither!!! In fact, one of my brackets, I have that...SMC going to Sweet 16 and then losing to TENN. Of course, I have the Zag's TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS, BEATING NEV; MICH ST AND KENTUCKY IN THE TITLE GAME!

rawkmandale
03-18-2019, 08:49 PM
SMC= good program. good kids like our own and a good/great coach ( grumpy though he be). Hope they do well in this year NCAA tournament.

Agreed, and I think they are capable of winning a couple of games - hope they do.

Grand Valley Zag
03-18-2019, 08:51 PM

Well said.

ZagsGoZags
03-19-2019, 12:38 AM
I want the WCC to get better and better in basketball,
The fact that WCC beat the Pac12 10-7 this year had legs in the media,
and it was a 'crappy little league' that GU is in beating a Power Conference.
I put this consideration ahead of all my little gripes against some of the WCC teams

DixieZag
03-19-2019, 04:14 AM
Another newsflash: lots of sports fans root against their rivals! It’s been happening for years! And it’s really fun! I don’t root against our conference, I root against a team I don’t like that happens to be in our conference.

The WCC is what it is ( as much as I hate that phrase), and I kinda form my whole opinion on that perspective. It’s gone from being ranked in the 13-15 range 10 years ago to the 8-10 range now, mainly on the back of Gonzaga being what it is, a decent BYU team joining and the dregs being ranked closer to 200 than 300. Top of the conference really hasn’t gotten better, which is what these critics would actually notice.

If we win a national championship and it doesn’t shut critics up, who cares? Why would anyone care about these people? People that matter, like Dominick Harris, Anton Watson, Drew Timme, Jalen Suggs, the coaching staff obviously don’t care. They took note of our final four. If we win it all this year and someone de-legitimizes it, they would do so whether or not SMC beats a 9 loss Nova team.

That's fine. No one's going to convince you otherwise, I guess.

When one is in a conference that constantly gets dissed as a crap league, it sure makes me want all our schools win in any game against a non conference foe, even BYU, which is my least favorite team in conference.

But with respect to SMC especially, I simply can't dislike them as a rival. I want to beat them badly, every time. But, I sure don't have any animosity toward them. It springs mostly bc the players they recruit are near exactly like our Zags (just not as talented), good kids, kids that go to class, play their hearts out and don't care that they're not in a BCS conference with 15,000 people cheering them on.

Our conference is stuffed with schools just like GU, many of them Jesuit, LMU, Portland, SCU are ones I know are Jesuit, and I can't hate them either, bc it's almost like the same school, different campus.

So, for me, our conference is filled with schools I consider "family" when playing outside conference. I also like SMC fans, I like the ones that come here, and I like the ones I have met at games in the Kennel. They're basically like Zag fans, just different schools.

To me, it's a no brainer. I want our conference to rise even above the 8th RPI spot and get comfy in a 5 to 7 spot. It can happen, the schools are wonderful, in great cities, good people.

rennis
03-19-2019, 05:48 AM
The fact that SMC is a one point underdog to the defending national champs per Ken Pom, and is a team GU absolutely destroyed 2x this year is not lost on me.

LongIslandZagFan
03-19-2019, 06:36 AM

This. Abe and I don't see eye to eye on some things... but on this we do. Also, if you ever have a chance to hang out with SMC fans... honestly... they are a cool bunch and have a ton of respect for GU. Worth the time and a good beer. Might change your perspective some.

Zagceo
03-19-2019, 06:39 AM
how many D1 schools in Southern California?

1 made the dance

Birddog
03-19-2019, 06:59 AM

1 made the dance

Aren't the Anteaters in SoCal?

Zagceo
03-19-2019, 07:09 AM

1 made the dance

Aren't the Anteaters in SoCal?

yes

willandi
03-19-2019, 07:12 AM
https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-irvine-kansas-state-ncaa-20190317-story.html

Zagceo
03-19-2019, 07:28 AM
Big West has had something like 8 different champions in the last 8 or 9 years

Birddog
03-19-2019, 07:31 AM
yes

My level of reading comprehension is lacking today and I'm apparently geographically challenged as well.