PDA

View Full Version : Committee did a good job this year

23dpg
03-17-2019, 04:05 PM
I think they gave the smaller teams a fair shake with berths and seeds.
The new metrics are working.

sheps001
03-17-2019, 04:09 PM
They did St. Mary's no favors. They have to cross three time zones and play a tough Villanova team at home (Nova fans are falling out of the trees in Hartford). It would be a miracle if they could beat Nova. Zags have looked bad everytime they had to do the same thing. Davidson and Syracuse come to mind.

NEC26
03-17-2019, 04:10 PM
They did St. Mary's no favors. They have to cross three time zones and play a tough Villanova team at home (Nova fans are falling out of the trees in Hartford). It would be a miracle if they could beat Nova. Zags have looked bad everytime they had to do the same thing. Davidson and Syracuse come to mind.

They are an 11 seed. They didn't earn any favors.

thespywhozaggedme
03-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Only complaint is that Oklahoma didn't deserve to get in and Cincy was seeded way to low, but they made it up to them by giving them a virtual home site.

23dpg
03-17-2019, 04:11 PM

Could be sending the Gaels a message about traveling. I like Nova but I’ll be pulling for the Gaels in this one.

Utah St and Washington in Columbus is weird to me. Too many good teams out west? Haha

caduceus
03-17-2019, 04:12 PM
They are an 11 seed. They didn't earn any favors.

Not only that. They would have certainly been going to the NIT if they hadn't won the WCC tourney.

gonzagafan62
03-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Not only that. They would have certainly been going to the NIT if they hadn't won the WCC tourney.

Exactly

NEC26
03-17-2019, 04:18 PM
I don't have any big beefs with the committee picks this year. FSU as a 4 is a head scratcher but at least we get them as the first game of the week so we can be prepared for them.
If they had put in NC State I would have been ticked but they didn't.

krozman
03-17-2019, 04:21 PM
Gonzaga in Anaheim wont get any home field disadvantages with Michigan, Texas Tech and Florida state being the other top seeds at least.

kdaleb
03-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Utah St and Washington in Columbus is weird to me. Too many good teams out west? Haha

I'll admit that I'm glad Utah St - Washington got shipped out there. Other option would be to have them replace Cuse-Baylor in our pod. Second round would have sucked for us - annoying rematch with the Huskies or a road game vs a good Utah State team. Committee did us a solid there.

rawkmandale
03-17-2019, 04:31 PM
I'll admit that I'm glad Utah St - Washington got shipped out there. Other option would be to have them replace Cuse-Baylor in our pod. Second round would have sucked for us - annoying rematch with the Huskies or a road game vs a good Utah State team. Committee did us a solid there.

I totally agree with this. Overall, I think the committee did a great job.

raise the zag
03-17-2019, 04:40 PM
Jerry Palm of CBS did a nice job predicting the field.

Picked 67 of 68 teams in the field.

His only miss? Belmont.

Impressive.

rawkmandale
03-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Jerry Palm of CBS did a nice job predicting the field.

Picked 67 of 68 teams in the field.

His only miss? Belmont.

Impressive.

True, but Gary Parrish got all 68 - also impressive.

raise the zag
03-17-2019, 04:55 PM
True, but Gary Parrish got all 68 - also impressive.

Indeed.

How did Lunardi do?

kitzbuel
03-17-2019, 04:59 PM
I’ll be interested to see how much the NET rankings weighed in the decision making.

kyle dixon
03-17-2019, 05:03 PM
No sure how Lunardi did. He is probably downstairs at his moms house yelling for her to have his meat loaf ready...

ZagMan in Philly
03-17-2019, 05:11 PM
I’ll be interested to see how much the NET rankings weighed in the decision making.

it cost Mich State the #1 seed

caduceus
03-17-2019, 05:15 PM
it cost Mich State the #1 seed

Very Possibly. All of the prediction sites this year that still used RPI consistently had the Zags a 2-seed, with an RPI in the 6-8 range. As some probably know, the NET calculation formula isn't public.

sheps001
03-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Eleven seeds can get seeded in the area they are from and even play very close by like when the Zags squeeked by with a Meech wire to wire bucket at the end of regulation. But the committee did not do this. It shipped them East against a tough opponent at home. I can think of times when this happened to the Zags in the tourney before they had the credibility they have now. Davidson at Davidson (close by)., Syracuse at Syracuse literally. I was at the Villanova game at the Garden when the Zags got spanked., They looked good for a while and then the jet lag kicked in and they went flat. Yes I was there and saw it. So the committee really did not do St Mary's any favors.

gueastcoast
03-17-2019, 05:22 PM
No sure how Lunardi did. He is probably downstairs at his moms house yelling for her to have his meat loaf ready...

YES lol

sittingon50
03-17-2019, 05:25 PM

Cmon Kyle, Lunardi is a St. Joe's Hawk, has been to Spokane with them several times & is a good dude. Plus loves college BB and is a good representative for the sport.

surfmonkey89
03-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Cmon Kyle, Lunardi is a St. Joe's Hawk, has been to Spokane with them several times & is a good dude. Plus loves college BB and is a good representative for the sport.

MAAAAA!

MEATLOAF!!!

KStyles
03-17-2019, 07:17 PM
Indeed.

How did Lunardi do?

67. He had Belmont out and TCU in.

GonzaGAW
03-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Only complaint is that Oklahoma didn't deserve to get in and Cincy was seeded way to low, but they made it up to them by giving them a virtual home site.

- agree, metrics aside you can't go 7-11 in conference, get bumped in the first conference tourney game by the last placed seed, and get rewarded. sure you can have x number of good wins, that gives you the 'chance' to get rewarded if you take care of business, and win the games you should. Oklahoma, bo.

- msu got hosed with the #2 with duke.

- but agree with the premise of the thread title, yes the committee did well on the whole, better than in past few years. seems to be less controversies.

NEC26
03-17-2019, 09:15 PM
Filling out the brackets and Duke sure got an easy path to the elite 8. None of the teams they will face are even remotely a threat. I think that may be why they put MSU in that bracket to balance it out.

MickMick
03-17-2019, 09:41 PM
Overseeded: Kansas, Michigan, Wofford
Underseeded: Nevada, Cincinnati, Florida State, Virginia Tech

Not by much though. Not enough to rant about. Splitting hairs actually.

caduceus
03-17-2019, 09:52 PM
One-seed possible opponents 2- through 5- seeds, using KenPom rankings, averaged (lower is a tougher path):

DUKE:

2-seed: Michigan St. (4)
3-seed: LSU (18)
4-seed: VTech (11)
5-seed: MissSt (21)
====================
Avg opponent ranking: 13.5

VIRGINIA:

2-seed: Tenn (8)
3-seed: Purdue (10)
4-seed: KState (23)
5-seed: Wisconsin (12)
====================
Avg. opponent ranking: 13.25

UNC:

2-seed: Kentucky (7)
3-seed: Houston (15)
4-seed: Kansas (20)
5-seed: Auburn (13)
====================
Avg. opponent ranking: 13.75

GONZAGA:

2-seed: Michigan (5)
3-seed: TTech (9)
4-seed: FLState (14)
5-seed: Marquette (27)
====================
Avg. opponent ranking: 13.75

At first glance, it would appear that Duke's bracket is the toughest, followed by Virginia's. The big outlier is the Zags' 5-seed Marquette (#27 KenPom), which skews the mean in the West Bracket upward (easier). As a 1-seed is more likely going to play their 4-seed and 2-seed, a different picture emerges:

DUKE:

2-seed: Michigan St. (4)
4-seed: VTech (11)
====================
Avg opponent ranking: 7.5

VIRGINIA:

2-seed: Tenn (8)
4-seed: KState (23)
====================
Avg. opponent ranking: 15.5

UNC:

2-seed: Kentucky (7)
4-seed: Kansas (20)
====================
Avg. opponent ranking: 13.5

GONZAGA:

2-seed: Michigan (5)
4-seed: FLState (14)
====================
Avg. opponent ranking: 9.5

The bottom line is, barring upsets, Duke has potentially the toughest path, and the Zags have potentially the second toughest.

Birddog
03-18-2019, 05:30 AM
agree, metrics aside you can't go 7-11 in conference, get bumped in the first conference tourney game by the last placed seed, and get rewarded. sure you can have x number of good wins, that gives you the 'chance' to get rewarded if you take care of business, and win the games you should. Oklahoma, bo.

OU should be in the NIT, no way they should have been rewarded.

sheps001
03-18-2019, 05:49 AM
Great stats or metrics. Forget a lot of this though. THE game is Florida State. We've been waiting for this one for one full year.

TexasZagFan
03-18-2019, 05:55 AM
OU should be in the NIT, no way they should have been rewarded.

Agree, and that's pretty strong coming from you, one who's smack dab in the middle of OK. I felt the same way about TCU, I was incredulous they were still in the conversation with their under .500 record in the Big 12.

I don't expect to hear any wailing and gnashing of teeth in the Metroplex today. This area's media is so Dallas Cowboys-centric it's pathetic.

TacomaZAG
03-18-2019, 08:18 AM
My only beef with the committee actually helps the ZAGS, me thinks.............

Sparty got jobbed, pure and simple. Based on the 1-seeds, MSU is the overall 8th seed, in the east with Dook. They beat Michigan in their title game but got placed below them?? However, if things went as I think they should have, MSU would be in our bracket instead of the Wolverines. Getting Michigan instead of Sparty is a HUGE blessing, IMHO.

Although I don't like FSU in our bracket, I can't blame that on the committee.

Glad the committee didn't get cute and put UW in our bracket.

Go ZAGS

CDC84
03-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Although it would've resulted in the Zags getting, technically, a more difficult opponent, Michigan State deserved to be the 2 in the west instead of Michigan. They beat the Wolverines 3x, and did so with an assortment of injuries. While it is true that MSU has some bad losses to Illinois and Indiana (2x), the decision to keep them in the east region just so they wouldn't have to travel as far as Michigan is just wrong. Izzo would much rather play Gonzaga than the overall #1 seed in the tourney.

The committee has got to get rid of this geography obsession with the regionals. It is the worst aspect of the tourney right now, and yet it is so easy to repair. The pod system is fine for the first weekend, but after that, it should be a straight s-curve when it comes to the regionals. Teams and fans would rather travel a couple more hours and face an easier team (on paper) than have an "easier" flight.

Other than that, I felt they did okay. And I feel the NET is an improvement over the RPI. It's clear that the system is incorporating metrics and other items that the RPI didn't.

I was particularly pleased with the seeds that Wofford (#7) and Buffalo (#6) got. These type of teams 20 years ago would've been in a 12/5 matchup. I would LOVE to see Wofford take down Kentucky. It could happen. Although UK travels well, they are going to be playing something like 750 miles from their campus.

NEC26
03-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Wofford is a team I really like to beat Seton Hall and then I am really interested in that Kentucky game. I think they can compete.

LongIslandZagFan
03-18-2019, 09:00 AM
MAAAAA!

MEATLOAF!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oeSADYLqmcN5PVkf6/giphy.gif

Hoopaholic
03-18-2019, 09:13 AM
Although it would've resulted in the Zags getting, technically, a more difficult opponent, Michigan State deserved to be the 2 in the west instead of Michigan. They beat the Wolverines 3x, and did so with an assortment of injuries. While it is true that MSU has some bad losses to Illinois and Indiana (2x), the decision to keep them in the east region just so they wouldn't have to travel as far as Michigan is just wrong. Izzo would much rather play Gonzaga than the overall #1 seed in the tourney.

The committee has got to get rid of this geography obsession with the regionals. It is the worst aspect of the tourney right now, and yet it is so easy to repair. The pod system is fine for the first weekend, but after that, it should be a straight s-curve when it comes to the regionals. Teams and fans would rather travel a couple more hours and face an easier team (on paper) than have an "easier" flight.

Other than that, I felt they did okay. And I feel the NET is an improvement over the RPI. It's clear that the system is incorporating metrics and other items that the RPI didn't.

I was particularly pleased with the seeds that Wofford (#7) and Buffalo (#6) got. These type of teams 20 years ago would've been in a 12/5 matchup. I would LOVE to see Wofford take down Kentucky. It could happen. Although UK travels well, they are going to be playing something like 750 miles from their campus.
Committee chair explained they wanted to reward them by putting them in closest regional area

DixieZag
03-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Committee chair explained they wanted to reward them by putting them in closest regional area

Some "reward."

Committee: "Here's Duke, we figured you didn't want to travel to play any other team without 3 top 20 draft picks."

I also have a real problem with FSU getting a 4 seed after defeating a one in UVA on the way to ACC final. I believe that FSU should have been switched with Tejas Tech, though that wouldn't have done us a huge favor, it seems obvious to me they wanted the drama of a "rematch."

We're better equipped to handle FSU this year, no doubt. And yes have to beat the best to get there. Still, no reason not to prefer a path more conducive in match-ups.

People are setting aside Syracuse, as not as good this year, as I recall they were seeded low in the year they beat us, not sure that's all that relevant. We've never beaten them (that I recall), and that scares me some, bc it seems like there is likely a reason.

It would be awfully tempting to me for the coaches to say: "It's on you to defeat the 16 seed through sheer effort and ball movement, similar to playing USF or BYU. We coaches will take on Syracuse/Baylor and coach you up to beat them." I realize that goes against traditional coach think, but I think it could be warranted in this situation, given the unique defenses in the 8-9 teams.

Reborn
03-18-2019, 09:49 AM
I am also sure that there are tons of people who feel like Gonzaga should not have been a number one seed. There were so many Gonzaga fans right here on this forum who felt Gonzaga would be a two seed. Other than that the Committee did a great job and we're going to have a great tournament, imo. There are so many really good teams this year, from 1-9 seeds. I really like our bracket. I like Syracuse and Florida and if we get to play either of them I'll be happy. They will be very good games. I think that it is equally likely that both of them could get beat before we see them. Baylor and Murray State are both good teams. Ja Morant, Murray State's point guard, is perhaps the best point guard in the country. He averages 25 points per game and ten assists. I'm looking forward to seeing him play. They also have a pretty big center who's 6'8" and weighs 290 pounds. That's bigger than Zion. Honestly. I'd rather play Florida State. I'm thinking that Murray St will upset Marquette. They could be one of those 12th seeded teams who upsets a 5. Florida St had two bad losses, Pitt and Boston, and it's most likely the reason they're a number 4 seed instead of a three seed. IMO, Murray St had no bad losses. They lost to @Alabama by six and @Auburn by 7. They also lost to Belmont and Jacksonville St in conference, and both are really good team, imo. Imo, Jacksonville St really should have been one Mid-Major program that should be in the tournament.

The thing about Marquette is that they too have an outstanding guard Markus Howard. I am sure that the Committee wanted us all to see this match-up between two of the best guards in the country.

In the lower half of our bracket I think that Texas Tech and Buffalo are both really good teams and could give Michigan trouble. Buffalo kind of reminds me of the Zags back a few years ago. They have had a great year with only 3 losses and wins against West Virginia, Syracuse (a 12 point victory @Syracise) and San Francisco. One of the 3 losses was to Marquette @Marquette (back when Marquette was ranked in the top 20). In fact Florida could give Michigan trouble. Texas Tech tied with Kansas St for the conference championship; so they'll be tough. And Nevada will be tough too. Yes. The West bracket is loaded with really good teams. I would definitely rather be a #1 seed than a 2 in this bracket.

Reborn
03-18-2019, 10:01 AM
Some "reward."

I also have a real problem with FSU getting a 4 seed after defeating a one in UVA on the way to ACC final. I believe that FSU should have been switched with Tejas Tech, though that wouldn't have done us a huge favor, it seems obvious to me they wanted the drama of a "rematch."

We're better equipped to handle FSU this year, no doubt. And yes have to beat the best to get there. Still, no reason not to prefer a path more conducive in match-ups.

People are setting aside Syracuse, as not as good this year, as I recall they were seeded low in the year they beat us, not sure that's all that relevant. We've never beaten them (that I recall), and that scares me some, bc it seems like there is likely a reason.

DixieZag! No need to fret. Just because Syracuse and Florida St have beaten us in the past is no reason to fear them. Look at Duke. Seems like so many have forgotten our game with Duke. And even our game against Tennessee when the Zags lost on a few 3 pointer by the Admiral (one was pure luck and one he shot from the Rocky Mountains). The Zags are really good. Hey! We're a #1 seed and should beat a 8 and 4 seed. And the 4 seed is meant to be a pretty tough game. There are NO cakewalks in this tourney. This tournament is not designed for cakewalks for ANY team. It's meant to be tough, and that's one reason this tournament is so popular. Many say it's the best sporting event in the whole country. Rather than focus on how good other teams are, put that focus on how good Gonzaga is and you will suddenly feel much better and the fear should go away.

Go Zags!!!

raise the zag
03-18-2019, 10:28 AM
I'd rather have #3 seed Purdue's pathway than ours, or even being the #2 seed in our bracket instead of the #1.

Arguably, the Zags received tougher opponents than Michigan (although Neveda could surprise).

Can't help but cringe at our match ups this year.

Not sure you could pick a worse 8 seed or 4 seed in the entire Tourney in terms of style/matchups/personel to put against us.

DixieZag
03-18-2019, 10:29 AM
DixieZag! No need to fret. Just because Syracuse and Florida St have beaten us in the past is no reason to fear them. Look at Duke. Seems like so many have forgotten our game with Duke. And even our game against Tennessee when the Zags lost on a few 3 pointer by the Admiral (one was pure luck and one he shot from the Rocky Mountains). The Zags are really good. Hey! We're a #1 seed and should beat a 8 and 4 seed. And the 4 seed is meant to be a pretty tough game. There are NO cakewalks in this tourney. This tournament is not designed for cakewalks for ANY team. It's meant to be tough, and that's one reason this tournament is so popular. Many say it's the best sporting event in the whole country. Rather than focus on how good other teams are, put that focus on how good Gonzaga is and you will suddenly feel much better and the fear should go away.

Go Zags!!!

I understand.

I just hope we're playing our best ball as we come out. If we have a strong first weekend, then I like our momentum going into the second.

webspinnre
03-18-2019, 10:54 AM
One thing I'm definitely not a fan of with the way the NCAA sets up the regionals is the emphasis on being close to the region when it comes to the S-curve and seeding. Yes, by all means, get the top seeds close to home for the rounds of 64 and 32, but when it comes to the sweet 16 and elite 8, I really wish they'd stick with the S-curve. If a team is the top 2 seed, they should be with the bottom 1 seed, not the top 1 seed, even if the regional is further away. I'd be unhappy if I was either Duke or MSU, as both end up with a more challenging opponent than they deserve, based on seeding.

Reborn
03-18-2019, 11:36 AM
I understand.

I just hope we're playing our best ball as we come out. If we have a strong first weekend, then I like our momentum going into the second.

They are so ready. When listening to the interviews with them (on ZagNative's post) I noticed how ready they are to play someone else other than a WCC team. They are ready for some more intense competition. I think they've been ready for this tournament since January, or maybe ever since the beginning of the year. This team is on a mission.

Go Zags!!!

MontanaCoyote
03-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Fun to look at Sports Illustrated’s writers brackets. All over the map! Gonzaga National champs in one, out early in another,
late in a couple. Just fun to scope ‘um all out, compare, contrast.