PDA

View Full Version : After Gonzaga of course, who's your favorite team? Why?

Reborn
03-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Mine is Tennessee. They remind me of Gonzaga. It's about brotherhood. It's definitely not about size, but it is about talent + brotherhood. They are not selfish, and I really like that. And they are not ARROGANT like Duke. I take humility over players who want to kill any day. Afterall, it is a game, and there are rules against killers. I hope those rules are enforced this year more than others, and I hope they are fair. I know that that is wishful thinking for sure. I like Tennessee's Wiliams way more then Duke's. The Admiral is every bit the star player that Bennett is. I love his smile and attitude. I love that fact that he believes in his brothers and he was able to make that pass at the end of the game to one of his brothers. And finally, they believe and love God.

Go Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
03-17-2019, 09:13 AM
Winner of Harvard Yale; Colgate.

LTownZag
03-17-2019, 09:21 AM
Longshots I'd like to see win some games:

Washington
SMC
Murray State
Nevadad
Houston
Any other mid-major

For final-4 types:

I'd prefer TN if GU can't win it.

I'd take UVA next.

It would be great to have Duke, UK, and UNC not make the final 4 (yeah right...)

gonzagafan62
03-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Nobody. Live and die with zags only.

EDIT: I am not hateful to others that root for other teams either .. wanted to make that clear lol

Zags11
03-17-2019, 09:28 AM
Nobody. Im a 1 team guy in every sport.

ZagsObserver
03-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Nobody

GuZag2012
03-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Minnesota Gophers...growing up in Minnesota I was always a Gophers fan. Honestly started following Gonzaga after they beat Minnesota in the tournament & and haven’t stopped following the Zags since. I also attended Gonzaga and they are by far my favorite team but I still cheer for the Gophers.

I appreciate teams that are not getting all the one & done players like Duke & Kentucky so I do enjoy watching Tennessee, Virginia & Michigan, etc as well. I like their coaches as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-17-2019, 10:07 AM
The underdog.

ZaggyStardust
03-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Hi Reborn and other board friends. Haven’t posted in forever but read everyday but I had to post here. It’s TN for me as well. I don’t know how many people noticed this but after the TN game the players were celebrating for an extra long time and Admiral Scofield was being interviewed and missed the handshake line. He all of a sudden bolted and chased down Coach Few who was almost off the floor in order to shake his hand. I thought that was such a classy move.

https://twitter.com/zaggystardust/status/1071909157245136898?s=21

Grand Valley Zag
03-17-2019, 10:16 AM
This Tennessee team is fun. Usually,

UW 'cause my wife went there.
Other Jesuit schools. Especially Marquette 'cause my cousin went there.
West by God Virginia.
UNC (greatest basketball department of all time).
Michigan for coach and style.

gueastcoast
03-17-2019, 10:19 AM
Good, fun thread.

Grew up a UCLA fan long before I became a Zag, but those ties hang by a thread now. Which is sad.

Probably a different team each year. This year like a lot of us I really do like this Tennessee team. That said if Auburn beats them today I'll be okay with that as it helps our 1 seed case! Zags above all else.

Grand Valley Zag
03-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Hi Reborn and other board friends. Haven’t posted in forever but read everyday but I had to post here. It’s TN for me as well. I don’t know how many people noticed this but after the TN game the players were celebrating for an extra long time and Admiral Scofield was being interviewed and missed the handshake line. He all of a sudden bolted and chased down Coach Few who was almost off the floor in order to shake his hand. I thought that was such a classy move.

That guy is great.

ZagMan in Philly
03-17-2019, 10:27 AM
any team besides these: Nova, Duke, UNC, Kentucky.

katman50
03-17-2019, 10:31 AM
As a kid and teenager growing up on the West Coast, always liked UCLA in the Wooden years. But that was way back in the day.

Radbooks
03-17-2019, 10:40 AM
I don't really root for any team except the Zags. However, I do tend to pay attention and watch B10 teams like Michigan St. or some of the smaller conference schools if they happen to be on.

Reborn
03-17-2019, 10:45 AM

Hi. Thanks for posting, FINALLY. hahaha I HAVE missed you. You are one of the best fans around. I do love Ninja shooters; so Auburn is definitely a team I like to watch. However, I don't like the way Pearl coaches.....never have. Back when he coached Tennessee I couldn't stand them. Also, for those who live by the three will die by the 3. I've always liked Iowa State. I have enjoyed playing them as well. They have been playing really well lately and I hope we don't play them, and if we do let it be late in the tournament.

Go Zags!!!

ps This is fun....

rennis
03-17-2019, 10:48 AM
It was North Carolina until 2017 for obvious reasons. Other favorite is Michigan State. I love Izzo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reborn
03-17-2019, 10:58 AM
And my "other" favorite team goes down. Will it help Gonzaga? I think yes.

Go Zags!!!

bigblahla
03-17-2019, 10:58 AM
The Lady Zags!

Go!! Zags!!!

RenoZag
03-17-2019, 11:17 AM
There are other teams ?

zagssuperfan
03-17-2019, 11:19 AM
Mine is Tennessee. They remind me of Gonzaga. It's about brotherhood. It's definitely not about size, but it is about talent + brotherhood. They are not selfish, and I really like that. And they are not ARROGANT like Duke. I take humility over players who want to kill any day. Afterall, it is a game, and there are rules against killers. I hope those rules are enforced this year more than others, and I hope they are fair. I know that that is wishful thinking for sure. I like Tennessee's Wiliams way more then Duke's. The Admiral is every bit the star player that Bennett is. I love his smile and attitude. I love that fact that he believes in his brothers and he was able to make that pass at the end of the game to one of his brothers. And finally, they believe and love God.

Go Zags!!!

Whoever is playing Duke. I used to dislike them equally with Kentucky, UNC and UCLA. This year though, the hype train with Zion has risen to a whole new level and I can't stand it. Them getting all the publicity on ESPN, even after we beat them pushed me over the top.

Spink
03-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Whoever is playing Duke. I used to dislike them equally with Kentucky, UNC and UCLA. This year though, the hype train with Zion has risen to a whole new level and I can't stand it. Them getting all the publicity on ESPN, even after we beat them pushed me over the top.

This is a man after my own heart!

zagbeliever
03-17-2019, 11:57 AM
Nobody. I do follow Nevada because my brother in law is a die hard Zag fan and Pack fan. My husband, brother in law and I all went to Nevada but we've lived here in Spokane 40 years and the Zags are it for me. I watch a lot of basketball but really can't say I love another team...unless they are playing Duke.

GonzaGAW
03-17-2019, 11:58 AM
- Marquette

- like their coaches, Maguire way back when, and not so long ago buzz Williams.
- under the radar type team, i.e. usually an underdog.
- also I loved their uniforms back in the 80's.

- kills me to see them on a 5 or 6 game losing streak. really has a team ever made the dance on a 6 game losing streak? well one will this year. suspect in the last month they have moved from a 2 or 3 seed down to an 8 seed.

MickMick
03-17-2019, 12:01 PM
If GU's program fell apart, I don't know if I would even watch college basketball.

In our time zone, the prime time games are not that great and my Saturday afternoons are too precious to watch eastern teams. I only watch eastern games now because GU is in the national discussion.

I would probably be a pseudo Wazzu fan and live in constant misery, but if I was to go down that rabbit hole, I may as well be a fan of a busted GU program.....except WCC....ugh.

I do like EWU as a program, but they are not on tv very much.

Grand Valley Zag
03-17-2019, 12:03 PM
- Marquette

- like their coaches, Maguire way back when, and not so long ago buzz Williams.
- under the radar type team, i.e. usually an underdog.
- also I loved their uniforms back in the 80's.

- kills me to see them on a 5 or 6 game losing streak. really has a team ever made the dance on a 6 game losing streak? well one will this year. suspect in the last month they have moved from a 2 or 3 seed down to an 8 seed.

Were those the untucked jerseys!? or the shorts that were designed to luck like the jerseys were untucked!? Best uniforms ever.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-17-2019, 01:04 PM
I enjoy watching Michigan this year because they play a fun style of basketball. Their Lithuanian frosh is a stud who plays w a feistiness I hope to see from Rui starting this week.

Jesuit schools

Villanova. Pretty amazing coaching job by Jay Wright this year, and I like that they’re a non football school too.

+1 on the any team playing Duke préférence too.

NEC26
03-17-2019, 01:09 PM
I root for Virginia most of the time only because I like Tony Bennet. The only team I am truly invested in is Gonzaga.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-17-2019, 01:23 PM
St. Mary's. I think of them like our little brother, not our bitter rival. I know not a lot of Zags fans feel like this.

Mantua
03-17-2019, 01:24 PM
I’m rooting for Murray State and Yale.

.. and UW. I like Hameir Wright.

raise the zag
03-17-2019, 01:34 PM
MN Gopher season tix holder for years. I purchase single game tix these days. Fan of them, attend their games, own a ton of apparel, yet like all my MN teams, they disappoint often. I root for them and follow the rest of the Big 10 closely.

I'm also a Michigan Wolverines fan. I was between Gonzaga and Michigan as a Senior in HS. Big school vs small school.

Fortunately, made the best decision of my life choosing Spokane over Ann Arbor.

Still root for them and like their blue collar style of play, and likeable Coach, their campus is close knit and fun for being so big...exact opposite of Minnesota campus.

Hoopaholic
03-17-2019, 01:43 PM
St. Mary's. I think of them like our little brother, not our bitter rival. I know not a lot of Zags fans feel like this.

SMC
Yale
Montana
Buffalo
Houston
UW

in that order

jpn17
03-17-2019, 07:32 PM
The only other D1 basketball program that gets the time of day from me is Eastern. I generally go to 1 or 2 games out at Reese Court in Cheney every year and catch some of their games on SWX too. Was pulling hard for them in the Big Sky tournament championship last night, but it wasn't meant to be.

I also follow D3 Whitworth.

willandi
03-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Montana, as anyone that has read why understands. My Dad taught there for 25+ years.

GrizZAG
03-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Ha!! Easy Schmeezy..My own Montana Griz of course :)

I like Saint Marys especially this year. Good kids, love Aussie work ethic and they overcame a giant at least once. Bennett not so much.

zagfan24
03-17-2019, 07:49 PM
After Gonzaga, usually root for the following teams

1) Marquette - went there for grad school and go to a few games every year
2) Villanova - really like their program and their coach
3) Michigan St - ditto
4) St Bonaventure - buddy went there and always root for the little guy...sad they just missed getting in this year
5) Any WCC or Big Sky team, esp Montana and Montana St

Markburn1
03-17-2019, 07:49 PM
Red Sox. Gonzaga doesn't play during the summer.

ZagzKrak
03-17-2019, 07:52 PM
For 1 game I will be a huge fan of the winner of the Marq/Murray St. game.

Spink
03-17-2019, 08:05 PM
For 1 game I will be a huge fan of the winner of the Marq/Murray St. game.

Haha. Ditto!

gonzagafan62
03-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Haha. Ditto!

Why do you guys hate Vermont ??

ZagOD7540
03-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Nobody. Im a 1 team guy in every sport.

Bingo! I’m with you.

Bocco
03-17-2019, 08:36 PM
After Gonzaga I have no favorite team. Will I watch other teams? Yes. Will I watch some other specific team? No. When GU isn’t playing I’ll watch whatever game has the closest score.

Nevada Don
03-17-2019, 09:01 PM

Guess I could support that too 🤭

willandi
03-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Guess I could support that too ��

So you are saying that after Gonzaga, you support the Gaels? LOL

demian
03-17-2019, 11:14 PM
Any of the original Big East teams, i always loved that conference. It started for me as a kid when nova won title in 1985. Then in middle school after i got home in afternoons i loved BIG MONDAY on espn watching the big east teams in our home with REBORN. My bucket list was to go to NYC and watch friday night semifinals of old big east conference tourney in madison square garden. I was so ticked when that conference broke up

TimberZag
03-18-2019, 05:38 AM
Loyola Chi Ramblers. Nothing better than hearing 99 yr old Sister Jean saying, “Let’s get the big W!” before every game.

Reborn
03-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Any of the original Big East teams, i always loved that conference. It started for me as a kid when nova won title in 1985. Then in middle school after i got home in afternoons i loved BIG MONDAY on espn watching the big east teams in our home with REBORN. My bucket list was to go to NYC and watch friday night semifinals of old big east conference tourney in madison square garden. I was so ticked when that conference broke up

Those certainly were the days. What a great conference. I'm feeling naustalgic now. Really great memories, Demian.

CDC84
03-18-2019, 07:42 AM
I love Wofford. In addition to being one of the best 3 point shooting teams that college basketball has seen in the past 20 years, they run such beautiful action on offense. The Southern had 3 other teams who could've competed and competed well in the NCAA tourney this year in Greensboro, East Tennessee and Furman. Wofford swept everything. Home games, road games, and the league tourney. Not an easy task. Mike Wofford is also one of these guys like Bob McKillop....a brilliant coach who has just remained at Wofford for 30 years because he doesn't a bad job. I respect that:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/woffords-mike-young-is-sporting-news-coach-of-the-year-for-2018-19/ara2tv4abj9s1970e510284e3

former1dog
03-18-2019, 08:22 AM
I don't have another favorite team. I do tend to latch on to the small schools that do well in the tourney, but don't invest much emotion into them.

CdAZagFan
03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Agree with the "anyone who is playing Duke" theory - especially this year.

And, although I usually root against them at all other times of the year, wouldn't it be great to see a GU-St. Mary's Championship game. We could get some revenge, and all the WCC, weak-schedule, mid-major haters would have to eat crow.

Reborn
03-18-2019, 09:22 AM
I love Wofford. In addition to being one of the best 3 point shooting teams that college basketball has seen in the past 20 years, they run such beautiful action on offense. The Southern had 3 other teams who could've competed and competed well in the NCAA tourney this year in Greensboro, East Tennessee and Furman. Wofford swept everything. Home games, road games, and the league tourney. Not an easy task. Mike Wofford is also one of these guys like Bob McKillop....a brilliant coach who has just remained at Wofford for 30 years because he doesn't a bad job. I respect that:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/woffords-mike-young-is-sporting-news-coach-of-the-year-for-2018-19/ara2tv4abj9s1970e510284e3

Thanks for the post. I just looked up Woffard and they will be an exciting team to watch. They are ranked 20th in the polls. So we know they are really good. It looks like he plays ten or eleven players also. Kind of like Florida State. Their center is big (250 and 6'8") and can shoot the 3 ball. Their game against Seton Hall will be one to watch for sure, and if they win that one they get Kentucky. That 7/10 match-up has always been one to watch. I feel that the Mid-Majors are really good this year and will be fun to watch (as they usually are).

hockeyzag
03-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Wisconsin, Maryland, Washington St, Boise St, and of course.....the underdog.

Actively cheer against UW, UCLA, North Carolina, Syracuse, Alabama, and Kentucky.

Zagger
03-18-2019, 04:32 PM
All schools in MT, WA, N ID, N OR and the WCC unless they are playing us :)
The closer they are to Spokane the better I like them.