PDA

View Full Version : A very good way to start off the season

Reborn
11-07-2007, 06:56 PM
I listened to the game on KGR radio. Pretty good reception from Yakima. It was great to see the Freshman get to play a lot, and to play as well as I imagined that they would. Daye seemed to be everything I had imagined, and Sacre I felt played way beyond. He does need to improve his FT shooting though. It was also great to hear LG's name again, and the team seemed to do quite well when he was in the game.

Now I didn't watch the game nor see it live, but as I listened to it, it seemed that the Freshmen outplayed several of our vets. I was not overly impressed with the performance of Pendo, nor Bouldin, although Bouldin seemed to pick it up in the 2nd half. I really wonder how much playing time these two guys are going to get as our Freshmen will contilnue to improve.

Gray didn't seem to be overly impressive on the radio, and I got the feeling he played a littler bit cautiously and on the nervous side.

However, I loved how Pargo played. I wish I could have seen the game just to see him. He seemed to be all over the court, and his defense seemed incredible. What did he have...like 5 steals? And for some reason in the 2nd half when he and Larry G were playing together the team seemed to really be playing some D.

Reborn
11-07-2007, 07:09 PM
They stats are up and look good to me. 11 turnovers is good, and 15 offensive rebounds, very good. 7 assists by Pargo is excellent. We also had 12 steals and 5 by Pargo...AWESOME. These are some statistics that I really like to see. I was a little surprised that Daye was our leading scorer, and shot 6-8...and Downs 5-8, and I think Kuso 4-5. Some very good shooting. It appears that Pendo played better than I first imagined, as he got 12 pts. Ira Brown had 4 boards in 4 minutes. That's impressive. Ira seemed to play pretty well.

Radbooks
11-07-2007, 07:18 PM
It appears that Pendo played better than I first imagined, as he got 12 pts.

I always think of Pendo that way... you don't think he's doing much and you look up and he's got 12 pts, 4 rebs, an assist, and a block in only 21 minutes. He's just not flashy about it.

gu03alum
11-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Out of the freshman, I thought Daye was very impressive. He was very good at finishing around the basket. Sacre looked tough. I saw some good also from Gray although he looked a little nervous tonight.

wazZag
11-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Daye doesn't run, he gliiiiides. So smooth. Despite what I had heard beforehand, I was still surprised how skinny he is. I wished Ira would have been in the game earlier, but LG got alot of minutes. Kuso is finishing much better than before.

thickman1
11-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I'll nitpick a bit and say that allowing a team like Emporia State to shoot 40% from 3-pt. line is bad. That seems to be the achilles heel every year. I hope this game was an anomaly.

fedwayzag
11-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Ira with what 4 rebounds and 3 assists in four minutes. Thats pretty impressive. I really the stat line.

montanazag88
11-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Really like hearing about Ira. Listening to the game on web radio gave no indication on his play. More beef in the paint is needed this year.

gamagin
11-08-2007, 07:55 AM
It was as enjoyable a game as any I've seen this early on. A talent parade that didn't seem to end.

Perhaps the most important thing to me is it looked like the lads were really working together. As if they'd been there a heckuva lot more than just a few weeks.

I think I only saw them bunch up once or twice. but it was while attacking some hapless foe, rather than in confusion.

The first half I expected to see alot more sloppiness than I did. I don't think we ever trailed after a few minutes, even though the substutitions were regular and often.

There were too many open shots for Emporia, but at the same time, there were, if we were in it to win it, too many substitutions for everyone to adjust instantly. ES wasn't running in 10 to 11 men seeing what they could do. they maybe used six players, if that over this same time.

Our staff treated this as a time to really test our guys under fire and given those circumstances, they emerged as eager vets by the end. In just 40 minutes.

I'm guessing Few et al, while never happy, were somewhat giddy to realize the talent is, as advertised, deep and very, very good.

These on-the-fly adjustments, given we kept the lead, seemed amazing to me. I've very rarely seen that much substitution at GU at the end of a game, when it's all locked up.

Also, it seemed by the second half when the substitutions were made, not only was the heat turned up but so did the cohesion, team play, hustle and defense and unity.

EVERYTHING we have been worrying about showed marked improvement.

I'm thinking perhaps the best five players have not yet been found.

I'm also thinking that within this incredible group of very cooperative, supportive & relatively new friends, we may be looking at a six or even seven man starting lineup. Or maybe even stretching to 10, the way it looked. Which is to say interchangeable.

But about midway in the second half, I think I saw a hint of the best five, the most cohesive five, the most electric and athletic and downright dominating five players I may have ever seen in Zag jerseys all at once.

They moved like Beethoven's fifth and and flowed like the wind.

It was something to behold.

Reborn
11-08-2007, 11:59 AM
gamagin in true form...Thanks for the great post. I always enjoy your post game post. You give me a vivid description of what it was like there. Man!!! They sound even better than I had imagined. THat second Half really seemed to show who we are!!! WOW!!!

gamagin
11-08-2007, 06:24 PM
I understand you used to actually play for GU ? This must be especially exciting for you !

that is good.

best regards,

primal23
11-08-2007, 08:08 PM
I think the addition of Coach G to help shore up the D will be a big big help this year.

HOOTER
11-08-2007, 08:41 PM
The aspect of this win that I most appreciate is the fact that they were actually playing a solid basketball team, a team that gave a ranked D-1 opponent all they could handle in their previous game, and they did it without their "star" player, for the most part. Emporia State is arguably better than some of the teams the Zag's will face during the regular season (Idaho, UC Riverside, and Portland come to mind). They really showed their ability to play as a team and do what needs to be done to prevail. That being said, they still have some issues to deal with before their prepared to take on teams like WSU, Tennessee, and Uconn, just to name a few, but their clearly on the right track and I am now more confident than ever that they are up to the challenge.

BTW, Is it just me, or does the excitement for the season to start resemble the excitement of a child on Christmas eve?

gamagin
11-09-2007, 08:02 AM
<<BTW, Is it just me, or does the excitement for the season to start resemble the excitement of a child on Christmas eve? >>

I think the excitement is real. But so much can happen. this is a developing situation, as has been noted.

But the talent pool, well, it is so good that in many cases, the substitute may soon meet or exceed the level of talent that is sitting down.

There is no question in my mind RayG is a great add to the coaching staff.

I don't know if it has been mentioned elsewhere yet, but I think you here would love to know that part of the pre game warmup involved a DEFENSIVE drill in which the ball is passed around the permiter and the defenders descend on the shooter.

I don't remember ever seeing that before.

It signaled several things to me, not the least of which was RayG is on the job. it also said that the Zags know what they have to do to improve, acknowledge it and are working on it, in practice and in drills.

and, to quote that great athletic supporter, Martha Stewart, "that's a good thing".