PDA

View Full Version : Other Games - Saturday - March 16, 2019 - Conference Tourneys

RenoZag
03-16-2019, 06:28 AM
There was plenty to watch and discuss during yesterday's conference tourney match-ups. A number of favorites bit the dust
Today's Line-Up includes:

#19 Wisconsin vs #6 Michigan State 10:00AM CBS
Florida vs. #22 Auburn 10:00AM ESPN

#8 Tennessee vs. #4 Kentucky Noon ESPN
Memphis vs. #11 Houston Noon ESPN2
Minnesota vs. #10 Michigan 12:30PM CBS

Wichita State vs. #24 Cincinnati 2:00PM ESPN2

Iowa State vs. #17 Kansas 3:00PM ESPN
San Diego State vs. Utah State 3:00PM CBS
Texas Southern vs. Prairie View 3:00PM ESPNU
Seton Hall vs. #25 Villanova 3:30PM FOX
Georgia Southern vs. UT Arlington 3:30PM

Bowling Green vs. #18 Buffalo 4:30PM ESPN2
Eastern Washington vs. Montana 5:00PM ESPNU
#12 Florida State vs. #5 Duke 5:30PM ESPN

Oregon vs. Washington 7:30PM ESPN

This link is to a page at cbs sports.com that has links to all of the conference tournament brackets:

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules/conference-tournament

A complete listing of Saturday's games can be found here: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule/_/date/20190316/group/50

Have a great day

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-16-2019, 07:25 AM
Great stuff Reno. Thank you!

Gotta do some chores and build up major brownie points today before the March Madness weekends of all hoops all day are here. Thus my late afternoon & evening viewing priorities today:

TN vs UK
FSU vs Duke
UW vs ORE

willandi
03-16-2019, 09:34 AM
I haven't watched (on TV) any of the games since Tues but have set my timer for the Eastern Washington/ Montana game at 5.

Living in Spokane but having ties to Montana (my Dad taught there for 25+ years) the game is of my local interest.
I will be pulling for the Griz!

Zags11
03-16-2019, 10:14 AM
I haven't watched (on TV) any of the games since Tues but have set my timer for the Eastern Washington/ Montana game at 5.

Living in Spokane but having ties to Montana (my Dad taught there for 25+ years) the game is of my local interest.
I will be pulling for the Griz!

Go eagles. ;).

Hoopaholic
03-16-2019, 10:34 AM
I just want to personally thank you for this regular thread. I go to this first thing in morning even before ESPN

Thank you

NEC26
03-16-2019, 11:57 AM
Auburn headed to final over Florida. Looked like Auburn got away with obvious foul at the end which would have given Florida a chance to tie.

RenoZag
03-16-2019, 01:47 PM
Go VOLS !

RenoZag
03-16-2019, 01:48 PM
I just want to personally thank you for this regular thread. I go to this first thing in morning even before ESPN

Thank you

Happy to do it when work doesn't get in the way. . .and I will have that problem solved before the next season starts. . .

scrooner
03-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Anybody know what fouls 4 & 5 against Kyle Alexander were for? Looked like Reid Travis held him to prevent him from posting up (foul 4) and then knocked him down (foul 5), in a span of 2 seconds.

DixieZag
03-16-2019, 02:07 PM
I really hate the live shots with the moving camera. Save it for highlights.

I love it for football.

But in basketball is just throws off the view, you feel dizzy.

Kentucky is about to put away Tenn.

DixieZag
03-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Oh, and we need a guy named "Admiral."

Or "colonel"

"General"

"Major"

LTownZag
03-16-2019, 02:17 PM

About to grab their 1 seed ticket?

Hoopaholic
03-16-2019, 02:19 PM
they deserve a one seed if they win today and against auburn

RenoZag
03-16-2019, 02:27 PM

Not so fast, my friend. . .

DixieZag
03-16-2019, 02:33 PM
Not so fast, my friend. . .

They came roaring back.

Had a little help, though. That call on Travis was just awful.

NEC26
03-16-2019, 02:33 PM
Tennessee doing to Kentucky what they did to us.

DixieZag
03-16-2019, 02:37 PM
Well, if Tennessee loses tomorrow, I'd say we're in real good position.

sittingon50
03-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Feel badly for UK. Perhaps a little music to lighten their load:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0

gueastcoast
03-16-2019, 02:42 PM
I know we're never to discuss religion, politics, or money....

But the interview at the end of the game with the Tenn players giving thanks to God and saying "God is great"...loved it. Nice young men.

(even if the Admiral and Snacks talked more than a little mutual smack in our game)

gueastcoast
03-16-2019, 02:43 PM

LOL

NEC26
03-16-2019, 02:48 PM

But the interview at the end of the game with the Tenn players giving thanks to God and saying "God is great"...loved it. Nice young men.

(even if the Admiral and Snacks talked more than a little mutual smack in our game)

Saw that before the game as well. I was impressed.

RenoZag
03-16-2019, 03:58 PM
They came roaring back.

Had a little help, though. That call on Travis was just awful.

Will shed no tears for Calipari

Zagceo
03-16-2019, 04:02 PM

why? conference tourney games aren't that important...according to some vice president somewhere...hahahahahahah

Section 116
03-16-2019, 04:28 PM
Villanova over Seton Hall 28-26 at the half

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Kentucky lost and Kansas is getting pummeled by Iowa State. Am I the only one that enjoys it when a blue blood loses to an upstart.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-16-2019, 04:38 PM

Yeah, hard not to like that team. Rick Barnes is a class act and his team is all kinds of tough, battling back to win that game was very impressive. That was a really fun game to watch. Hope Vols destroy shady Bruce Pearl’s squad; he is antithesis of Rick Barnes.

TexasZagFan
03-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Texas Southern: worst execution in the final minute that I have ever seen.

CDC84
03-16-2019, 05:26 PM
Texas Southern: worst execution in the final minute that I have ever seen.

Agreed. That was awful. The court that was used was also badly executed. How many three pt. lines do you need on a floor?? That has to be confusing for the players.

Eastern Washington up early on the Grizzlies on ESPNU for the Big Sky final. The Big Sky tourney this year is in Boise, but not on the Boise State campus. Is that city owned arena (which looks really weird, BTW)) used by a hockey team or something? It looks to hold around 7,400.

DixieZag
03-16-2019, 05:59 PM
Agreed. That was awful. The court that was used was also badly executed. How many three pt. lines do you need on a floor?? That has to be confusing for the players.

Eastern Washington up early on the GrizYzlies on ESPNU for the Big Sky final. The Big Sky tourney this year is in Boise, but not on the Boise State campus. Is that city owned arena (which looks really weird, BTW)) used by a hockey team or something? It looks to hold around 7,400.

Yes, it's an awful facility for any sport but hockey - which it's "okay" as a hockey arena.

It was perfect for an evening with Sarah McLachlan, though.

You know, as dangerous as Florida State looks to be, we've seen an awful lot of teams like that, the P6 conference teams that have a 4-6 seed win their tournament and look unbeatable, but ended up expending so much energy, physical and emotional, that they crap out early in the NCAAs.

Might be easier with a 10-11 deep rotation.

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 06:01 PM
Reddish with the out of control dribble turnover...wait, a whistle, shoot free throws hahaha

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 06:14 PM
Kabengele to the bench with 2 fouls for something just under the 6 minute mark, as Tre Jones got stuck on him down low, fell down, then the whistle came after Kabengele retrieved the o board. the same script, hope FSU can overcome

RenoZag
03-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Haven't seen Zion play much since Maui. . .was trying to figure out which famous athlete he slightly resembles. . .

A very young Bo Jackson comes to mind.

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 06:19 PM
Haven't seen Zion play much since Maui. . .was trying to figure out which famous athlete he slightly resembles. . .

I see it now that you say that. reminds me of Shaq too running the floor and powering inside

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 06:23 PM
nice replay of the Zion dunk, but missed was the freshman hack reach in after a turnover uncalled that sent usually reserved Hamilton freaking

DixieZag
03-16-2019, 06:24 PM

The great Dick Schapp - with 5 generations of covering sports - said Bo Jackson was the greatest athlete he had ever seen.

Wonderfully, right before steroids, or no one would believe one man could do so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBNbqMEoHwE

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 06:26 PM
The great Dick Schapp - with 5 generations of covering sports - said Bo Jackson was the greatest athlete he had ever seen.

Wonderfully, right before steroids, or no one would believe one man could do so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBNbqMEoHwE

best I've ever seen

Radbooks
03-16-2019, 06:27 PM
Eastern Washington is in a tight battle for the Big Sky championship with Montana. About 11 minutes left and they have a 3 point lead.

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 06:34 PM
Zion is a great example of why the 'one and done' rule is silly, esp these days.

Kids aren't "kids" as they once were. Puberty, development, growth is 3 or 4 yrs ahead of what it was even 20 yrs ago.

Times are a changing...and evolving. It is what it is.

These 18 yr olds are the equivalent of 21 yr olds when compared to the 1990's. From a social and physical standpoint.

Think of your own children. exposure and access to thr internet, life, media, society: maturity and rapid development are an effect of advanced technology, along with advanced supplementation these days.

Kids are maturing at unprecedented rates.

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 06:44 PM
why never a replay of the calls going Duke's way, on the blocks/charges? lol

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 06:46 PM
The fouls RJ Barrett draws. . .smh.

gueastcoast
03-16-2019, 06:47 PM
FSU's Koumadje (sp?)....really like that kid. Will play at the next level. Good court sense for a 7' 4" guy

GREAT Zion outlet right there....wow.

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 06:56 PM
FSU's Koumadje (sp?)....really like that kid. Will play at the next level. Good court sense for a 7' 4" guy

GREAT Zion outlet right there....wow.

Never liked the term "poor mans", yet Zion is a poor man's Lebron IF the one n done rule would have been in effect when he was 18.

Not the court sense or length of Lebron but similar if LeBron would have played college hoops.

Maybe a young Charles Barkley is a better comparison.

Zagceo
03-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Never liked the term "poor mans", yet Zion is a poor man's Lebron IF the one n done rule would have been in effect when he was 18.

Not the court sense or length of Lebron but similar if LeBron would have played college hoops.

Maybe a young Charles Barkley is a better comparison.

different bodies...Zion is 280 @ 18....Lebron never had hops of Zion ever

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 07:00 PM
so got the replay on the Reddick block/charge, but not the other way, again, on a tight call that goes to Duke

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 07:01 PM
different bodies...Zion is 280 @ 18....Lebron never had hops of Zion ever

baby Shaq

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Can we play as well as we did vs Duke in Maui?

We aren't as "selfless" as we once were, much more pride and getting "theirs", since November.

I'm hopeful but not confident, if I'm being honest.

Seems much more pressing by a couple players, trying to fill up their stats than everyone passing, moving, and making shots. Probing the defense in Maui instead of forcing their shots/points.

The NBA hype and articles really hurt the ego of this team, imho. Coach Few mentioned how pride got the best of us recently.

Zagceo
03-16-2019, 07:04 PM
baby Shaq

yeah w/hops of David Thompson

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Montana beat EWU, 68-62 to advance to their 12th NCAA Tourney in school history.

The Grizzlies played Michigan tight last year in Rd 1.

They are balanced scoring with a very good defense. I could see them sneaking an upset as a 15ish seed.

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 07:15 PM
Tune in to the WAC Championship, New Mexico St vs Grand Canyon on ESPNU now.

Fun game, fast, high energy, at Orleans Arena too.

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Can we play as well as we did vs Duke in Maui?

We aren't as "selfless" as we once were, much more pride and getting "theirs", since November.

I'm hopeful but not confident, if I'm being honest.

Seems much more pressing by a couple players, trying to fill up their stats than everyone passing, moving, and making shots. Probing the defense in Maui instead of forcing their shots/points.

The NBA hype and articles really hurt the ego of this team, imho. Coach Few mentioned how pride got the best of us recently.

the pride thing happened in one game, vs. SMC. sorry but haven't seen what you have since November, seen something else, altho the SMC game did happen. also haven't made the jump that the NBA hype created the pride thign vs. SMC the way you have. I think it's much more personal a thing vs. SMC instead, imho

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 07:20 PM
replay of Zion's elbow into Mann's face? I didn;t see it if it happened

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2019, 07:25 PM
Kabengele is the 2nd best player in this game. It's crazy that he doesn't start.

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 07:25 PM
Reddish again with the out of control drive garbage into triple team turnover, oh no, whistle, shoot 2 FTs. it's comical.
oh, and no replay on the call of course, complicit networks lol

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 07:27 PM
Kabengele is the 2nd best player in this game. It's crazy that he doesn't start.

he's awesome! that mystery foul on him 1st half when he got the o board and was ready to dunk, with Tre jones marking him underneath lol, sent him to the bench with points. late whistle too. Duke

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 07:29 PM
replays from every angle on Zion's 3rd foul, hahaha

gueastcoast
03-16-2019, 07:33 PM
Tre Jones by far the most underrated Blue Devil...without them it's not a team, it's a buncha dudes

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 07:38 PM
Tre Jones by far the most underrated Blue Devil...without them it's not a team, it's a buncha dudes

This +1000

Too true.

They were more of a mess when he missed time than Zion.

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 07:40 PM

+1

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 07:41 PM
They have been discussing the Gonzaga 1-seed debate on the GCU-NMSU game for past 5 minutes.

They called the SMC win the "biggest upset in March thus far".

Wow.

It shocked the nation more than us after listening to commentary the last few days.

Not sure how I feel about the Grand Canyon Coach saying they fully feel they plan to be and consider themselves the "next Gonzaga".

I get it yet make it sound like it's easy to do, and well on their way...

Gonzaga is "uncomparable". Not a word but not a chance at replicating.

We hear it so often but much easier said than done

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 07:46 PM
Have watched no less than 9 or 10 games last few days, no one has ever done what SMC did to us.

I've seen overmatched teams play other teams but never have I ever seen teams run the shot clock to 5 seconds nearly every possession before attempting a shot.

Have you ever seen that before? What they did vs us?

I can honestly say I've never seen that done...

Randy Bennett is a genius.

There are several teams who play controlled possessions and slow tempo but that was a whole new level of "slow". Really incredible when you compare it to other teams or the norm.

Zagceo
03-16-2019, 07:50 PM
Have watched no less than 9 or 10 games last few days, no one has ever done what SMC did to us.

I've seen overmatched teams play other teams but never have I ever seen teams run the shot clock to 5 seconds nearly every possession before attempting a shot.

There are several teams who play controlled possessions and slow tempo but that was a whole new level of "slow". Really incredible when you compare it to other teams or the norm.

ugly ...remember Dean Smith's four corner offense?

gimmick offense's

surfmonkey89
03-16-2019, 07:51 PM
All due respect to SMC for executing on their game plan, but I do think part of it was that our guys had an attitude of "Whatever, we'll just go on our usual run and put 'em away", but it never happened. Again, partly due to SMC, but also definitely partly due to ourselves.

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 07:58 PM
Pac 12 Championship just tipped off.

10-10, all tied UW vs Oregon.

Will Pritchard be a Zag next season?

I don't think he will but I've heard rumors...

He is pretty solid PG, not great, but would be welcomed if he chooses to transfer.

This game result could have a lot to do with it.

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 08:00 PM
How clutch is Tennessee?

They were behind the last few minutes, just like in our game, yet hit 3 after 3 after 3 to rally back and win the game.

Shot nearly 50% from 3pt like they did vs us. The Admiral was unstoppable in last few mins.

Sound familiar?

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 08:13 PM
Oregon 21, UW 18. 4 mins remaining 1st half.

Pritchard leading all scorers with 10

bartruff1
03-16-2019, 08:26 PM
Cool...I have both dogs in the fight...went to school at both Washington and Oregon....hope Oregon wins so the PAC will have 3 teams in the Dance...And so will I.

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2019, 08:31 PM

I don't agree at all. He's undersized, not athletic at all and a horrific shooter, so bad that defenders sag 5 feet off of him. He is a good defender and ball handler, but he's an overall average player at best and if he was on a regular team, you wouldn't even know his name.

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2019, 08:33 PM

And we made no attempt whatsoever to speed them up. It's very easy to speed up a slow it down offense, press them nonstop and force them to hurry up and force turnovers.

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2019, 08:37 PM
Hysterical Zion impression!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1106978385211863040

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Oregon 33, UW 28.

Good defensive game, great blocks, steals, plays.

Oregon a bubble team, UW will make it either way

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 08:46 PM

That was really good.

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Oregon 33, UW 28.

Good defensive game, great blocks, steals, plays.

Oregon a bubble team, UW will make it either way

Oregon isn't on any bubble, win and they steal a spot, possibly from their own conference mate ASU, lose and they're NIT bound.

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2019, 08:48 PM
That was really good.

It's gone viral. It is freakin' hysterical, spot on impression. I tried to embed it directly, but I suck at that and could only do the link.

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2019, 08:50 PM

What makes it so good is the kid has a very similar body to Zion (on a much smaller scale obviously) and his mannerisms are perfect. He did a lot of studying.

caduceus
03-16-2019, 09:02 PM
Huskies score two points in the first 10 minutes of the second half. Oregon bid steal coming if this continues.

Zagceo
03-16-2019, 09:02 PM
Huskies look horrible

gonzagafan62
03-16-2019, 09:04 PM
LETS GO DUCKS!!! Haha

caduceus
03-16-2019, 09:06 PM
"Oregon is flowing like the Willamette River."

--Bill Walton

SorenTodd45
03-16-2019, 09:13 PM
"Oregon is flowing like the Willamette River."

--Bill Walton

This is why I will watch the NIT, Walton is a riot. He should work a lot of west coast games in that tourney.

LTownZag
03-16-2019, 09:17 PM
How clutch is Tennessee?

They were behind the last few minutes, just like in our game, yet hit 3 after 3 after 3 to rally back and win the game.

Shot nearly 50% from 3pt like they did vs us. The Admiral was unstoppable in last few mins.

Sound familiar?

Schofield in the last 8 minutes:

1-for-4

committed 2 fouls

had 1 rebound

Were you watching the same game the rest of us were?

Hoopaholic
03-16-2019, 09:19 PM
Schofield in the last 5 minutes:

1-for-3

0 rebounds

committed 2 fouls

Were you watching the same game the rest of us were?

classic

Zagceo
03-16-2019, 09:21 PM
Ducks look horrible

gonzagafan62
03-16-2019, 09:21 PM
Washington does not look like a tourney team AT ALL

Zagceo
03-16-2019, 09:22 PM

and Ducks do? :roll:

gonzagafan62
03-16-2019, 09:23 PM
and Ducks do? :roll:

Apparently they’re the best in the pac. Someone has to make tourney lol. They’re up 20

RenoZag
03-16-2019, 09:38 PM

Yup they only scored 48 points in their conference tournament final. . .

:rolleyes:

TexasZagFan
03-16-2019, 09:42 PM
No one on UW hit double digits tonight...

MJ777
03-16-2019, 09:47 PM

48, and losing to a higher seed, how embarrassing. They should lose their 9 Seed.

GrizZAG
03-16-2019, 09:47 PM
UW looked lethargic and rushed all game long. Sound familiar?

MDABE80
03-16-2019, 10:26 PM
Us,Oregon both in

gueastcoast
03-17-2019, 05:39 AM
I don't agree at all. He's undersized, not athletic at all and a horrific shooter, so bad that defenders sag 5 feet off of him. He is a good defender and ball handler, but he's an overall average player at best and if he was on a regular team, you wouldn't even know his name.

From ESPN:

"Duke's Tre Jones scored 44 points, had 18 assists (to 8 turnovers), 10 boards and 5 steals and played all but 16 seconds in 3 games. Tonight he set a career high with 18 points."

I'm not saying the guy's a lottery pick, but he stirs that drink and doesn't get anywhere near as much hype as the Williamson, Barrett, and Reddish (and I've been underwhelmed by Reddish for the most part).

gonzagafan62
03-17-2019, 06:17 AM

Lemme guess that’s one more than us? Ok that hurt Reno. Haha. Was more saying that they haven’t looked like one all year and dang sure don’t now lol. ANYWAY, they also have a resume that I wouldn’t be shocked if they were left out entirely

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-17-2019, 06:25 AM
From ESPN:

"Duke's Tre Jones scored 44 points, had 18 assists (to 8 turnovers), 10 boards and 5 steals and played all but 16 seconds in 3 games. Tonight he set a career high with 18 points."

I'm not saying the guy's a lottery pick, but he stirs that drink and doesn't get anywhere near as much hype as the Williamson, Barrett, and Reddish (and I've been underwhelmed by Reddish for the most part).

Agree 100% and would add I do not understand why Cam Reddish is so hyped as a top pick. My prediction is he will be 'that guy' sitting awkwardly all alone well into the first round before he hears his name called. Don't wish that on him mind you, but that's my prediction.