PDA

View Full Version : Other Games : Friday, March 15, 2019

RenoZag
03-14-2019, 10:03 PM
Getting a head start on the marquee match-ups. . .will update in the AM. . .time to bring out the second TV into the living room. . .

UConn vs. # 11 Houston 9:00am ESPN2
Ohio State vs. # 6 Michigan State 9:30am BTN

Florida vs. #9 LSU 10:00am ESPN

Nebraska vs. #19 Wisconsin Noon BTN
#22 Auburn vs. South Carolina Noon ESPN

Central Michigan vs. #18 Buffalo 3:30pm CBSSN
Xavier vs. #25 Villanova 3:30pm FS1

#12 Florida State vs. # 2 Virginia 4:00pm ESPN
Alabama vs. #4 Kentucky SECN
Minnesota vs. #13 Purdue 4:00pm BTN
Iowa State vs. #15 Kansas State 4:00pm ESPN2
SMU vs. #24 Cincinnati 4:00pm ESPNU

#5 Duke vs. #3 North Carolina 6:00pm ESPN
Mississippi St vs. #8 Tennessee 6:00pm SECN
San Diego State vs. #14 Nevada 6:00pm CBSSN
West Virginia vs. #17 Kansas 6:00pm ESPN2
TBD vs. #23 Marquette 6:00pm FS1
Colorado vs. Washington 6:00pm PAC12

Iowa vs. #10 Michigan 6:25pm BTN
Alabama State vs. Texas Southern 6:30pm

RenoZag
03-15-2019, 05:16 AM
This link is to a page at cbs sports.com that has links to all of the conference tournament brackets:

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules/conference-tournament

A complete listing of Friday's games can be found here: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/schedule/ALL/20190315/

gonzagafan62
03-15-2019, 05:40 AM
Thanks Reno

willandi
03-15-2019, 08:08 AM
GO ALABAMA and GO NORTH CAROLINA!!!

gu03alum
03-15-2019, 08:38 AM
I've only watched Nevada play one time this year because they always seem to be on CBSSN. I'm so glad Gonzaga didn't switch to Mountain West.

NEC26
03-15-2019, 08:43 AM
GO ALABAMA and GO NORTH CAROLINA!!!

I don't like Duke but GU is better off if they win not UNC.

MontanaCoyote
03-15-2019, 08:52 AM

This AM the Washington Post has Zags #1 West, Duke #2 WEST! Interesting?

willandi
03-15-2019, 09:10 AM

How would that be?

I would like to see one of Duke or UNC off the #1 seed line. It seems to me that a sweep by UNC would do that better than a Duke win.

I also would see Duke as the first #2, but I don't really know how they would decide that. Probably not make them face UNC or Virginia so would move them to the two #2.

No matter. "Sweep the legs" "Yes, sensei"

MDABE80
03-15-2019, 09:51 AM

Bad feeling that if Duke wins their tournament, we could slide to the 2nd line. I've not heard such favorable bias toward a team (Duke) is decades. "Gushing" isn't the word for it. One thing good? We've done about as much damage to ourselves as possible till Selection Sunday. Crossing fingers we hang onto a no 1 seed and blow through the tournament as planned..6-0.

zagdontzig
03-15-2019, 10:03 AM
My mind is tormenting itself. I don't know whether we want Duke or UNC to win to get us a 1 seed.

If Duke wins, our win over Duke looks even better, but then they make the case for a 1 seed, with 3 ACC teams + Kentucky on the 1 line.

NEC26
03-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Right now our major calling card is we are the only team to beat Duke while at full strength. If Duke loses to UNC a third time that will no longer be the case and it will also validate the two UNC wins over them earlier. If Duke wins it puts an asterisk over those two wins and gives UNC another loss. UNC in that situation will not be getting a 1 seed if they lose.
We then want Duke to lose to UVA. If that happens I think there is a strong possibility GU lands the second overall seed. Kentucky isn't jumping us(neither are MSU or Michigan) even if they win SEC as long as that Duke win remains strong.
Its a big deal for GU that Duke wins that game. Even better if they dominate.

NEC26
03-15-2019, 10:22 AM
Tennessee is the team we do not want to win the SEC tournament. Should they win that they would have a very strong case to be a higher seed than us.

DixieZag
03-15-2019, 10:23 AM

"Interesting" is not the word I would use.

I would honestly rather see UVA standing in the way of our FF run, only bc I think Duke would be even more motivated to take us down (not that motivation is all that much in the NCAAs), but also bc I sure don't want to face Duke and 3 zebras, on CBS, with the Final Four going to the winner, and "Zion" being the TV draw he is ….

I don't buy into full on conspiracies in college basketball, but it is only human nature - with billions paid for the tourney rights - for 3 humans to "know" what result the TV execs and NCAA want from the game.

NEC26
03-15-2019, 10:35 AM
I don't think there is a bigger game affecting the Zags seeding then the Duke UNC game. Duke loses and I think there is a chance we get a 2 if Tennessee wins the SEC.

sittingon50
03-15-2019, 10:39 AM
Tennessee is the team we do not want to win the SEC tournament. Should they win that they would have a very strong case to be a higher seed than us.

I'll see if I can round up a few Kentucky fans here, NEC.;)

NEC26
03-15-2019, 10:55 AM
I'll see if I can round up a few Kentucky fans here, NEC.;)

Good luck! Paging spywhozaggedme! Honestly I am no Kentucky fan mainly because of Calipari but I don't see them as a serious threat to unseat us as long as Duke wins tonight.

Edit: even if they don't I still think we will be a higher seed than Kentucky but I would be a little more nervous about it.

Zagger
03-15-2019, 10:58 AM
I wonder how the deciders on Dance seeds are going to view the loss to SMC when the Zags were at full strength. Especially with the Zags beating SMC pretty well a couple of times. How badly will it hurt GU’s seeding (???). They might think ... what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas and not let the SMC game hurt the Zags - unless they’re searching for a reason to go lower on the Zags due to the “weak WCC” or other slight they’d like to color the Zags with.

sittingon50
03-15-2019, 11:38 AM
#8 seed Rhode Island upsets #1 seed VCU in the Quarters of the A-10.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2019, 11:39 AM
#8 seed Florida just took a 1 point lead on #1 LSU, just under 6 minutes to go.

NEC26
03-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Would love to see LSU win the SEC tournament. Don't think Florida is capable of it.

NEC26
03-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Wow, LSU got hosed with them allowing a three that should not have been. Then calling a T. Forida gets 7 points in one trip down the floor.

sittingon50
03-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Stuck in office NEC. Can you explain the whole sequence?

NEC26
03-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Stuck in office NEC. Can you explain the whole sequence?

LSU player fighting through screen gets called for foul. Florida shoots three after foul and refs somehow decide to count it.
LSU coach gets tech called so Florida shoots two technical free throws and free throws for foul plus the three they counted.
Edit: they missed one free throw so it was 6 point play not 7 but it completely changed that game and they should not have counted that three which would have meant no tech either.

gu03alum
03-15-2019, 12:08 PM
That was a fun finish to LSU Florida. I only saw the last 30 seconds, but it was a fun 30 seconds. I hate it when guys roll the ball up the court especially when there are 24 seconds left. I was glad to see LSU almost lose that ball.

sittingon50
03-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Thanks NEC.

Think you can knock LSU off the 2 line in the Zag's bracket.

gueastcoast
03-15-2019, 12:41 PM
LSU takes a header...

gonzagafan62
03-15-2019, 01:03 PM
So, VCU loses to Rhode Island. Means two teams from A10 now. Bid theives galore

sittingon50
03-15-2019, 01:26 PM
So, VCU loses to Rhode Island. Means two teams from A10 now. Bid theives galore

MARCH MADNESS, 62!

Hoopaholic
03-15-2019, 01:49 PM
LSU player fighting through screen gets called for foul. Florida shoots three after foul and refs somehow decide to count it.
LSU coach gets tech called so Florida shoots two technical free throws and free throws for foul plus the three they counted.
Edit: they missed one free throw so it was 6 point play not 7 but it completely changed that game and they should not have counted that three which would have meant no tech either.

disagree
the push to clear the screener occured as the shot was underway (player was in his upward movement to shoot) thus considered act of shooting and foul occured during this act by the offensive player. Watched it slow mow and was clear the two hands in chest occured as the shooter was already off the floor to shoot (dont have to be releasing ball nor have released ball)

right call for me

thespywhozaggedme
03-15-2019, 01:59 PM
The ratings for Duke/ Carolina Part III tonight or going to be insane!

NEC26
03-15-2019, 02:00 PM
disagree
the push to clear the screener occured as the shot was underway (player was in his upward movement to shoot) thus considered act of shooting and foul occured during this act by the offensive player. Watched it slow mow and was clear the two hands in chest occured as the shooter was already off the floor to shoot (dont have to be releasing ball nor have released ball)

right call for me

I don't think you should reward an offense with multiple possessions for one foul. If you call the foul let him go to the line and shoot it. Especially if the foul clearly occurred before the shot. This isn't a matter of somone affecting the shot while in shooting motion it was an off ball foul. They should have waved off the shot as it definitely occurred after the foul.

Edit: the tech seemed odd as well. He was in the coaching box walking away from the ref and he was T'ed up. I have seen coaches going ballistic ON THE FLOOR out of the coaching box and nothing called.
It seemed like the refs were really piling on at that point.

sittingon50
03-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Edit: the tech seemed odd as well. He was in the coaching box walking away from the ref and he was T'ed up.

Would have to assume then that he said one of George Carlin's Magic Words.

Hoopaholic
03-15-2019, 02:32 PM
I don't think you should reward an offense with multiple possessions for one foul. If you call the foul let him go to the line and shoot it. Especially if the foul clearly occurred before the shot. This isn't a matter of somone affecting the shot while in shooting motion it was an off ball foul. They should have waved off the shot as it definitely occurred after the foul.

Edit: the tech seemed odd as well. He was in the coaching box walking away from the ref and he was T'ed up. I have seen coaches going ballistic ON THE FLOOR out of the coaching box and nothing called.
It seemed like the refs were really piling on at that point.

as stated it did NOT occur clearly before the shot.....it was evident that it occured during the act of shooting

than change the rule.....i dont think you should reward poor/lazy defensive play with not calling a clear foul so you ignore it and shot doesnt go in defense is rewarded for foul not called

raise the zag
03-15-2019, 04:09 PM
Virginia vs Florida St

Should be an interesting game of vastly different styles.

I want no part of FSU. I can't think of a worse matchup...then maybe Virginia that is...

Florida St's bench averages 33 ppg. Amazing. They go 10 deep, and their "11th man" averages 10mpg. They press all game, & their bigs are GIANT.

Virginia just executes so well. Every player bought in to style, coaching, game plan...they never take an ill advised shot, or even know what a "chuck" means. Every player knows how to play defense and in the right spots at the right time. Their defense is lock down.

NEC26
03-15-2019, 04:09 PM
as stated it did NOT occur clearly before the shot.....it was evident that it occured during the act of shooting

than change the rule.....i dont think you should reward poor/lazy defensive play with not calling a clear foul so you ignore it and shot doesnt go in defense is rewarded for foul not called

You already admitted the shot was not off before the foul occurred. You were contending it occurred while he was in the shooting motion. Which sure it occurred as he was going into motion but it was shot after the foul and the foul had nothing to do with the shooter.

Rewarding the offense with 2 possensions for 1 foul was wrong. This isnt a matter of fouling the shooter while he was going up. It's a completely seperate foul and the shot shouldn't count unless its before or simultaneous to the off ball foul.

Hoopaholic
03-15-2019, 04:19 PM
You already admitted the shot was not off before the foul occurred. You were contending it occurred while he was in the shooting motion. Which sure it occurred as he was going into motion but it was shot after the foul and the foul had nothing to do with the shooter.

Rewarding the offense with 2 possensions for 1 foul was wrong. This isnt a matter of fouling the shooter while he was going up. It's a completely seperate foul and the shot shouldn't count unless its before or simultaneous to the off ball foul.

I did not....you seem to not understand the rule, the ball does NOT have to have left the hands as you contend to be in the act of shooting
.the shooter had left the floor in the act of shooting that IS the definition of in the act of shooting...you seem to want to have the ball left his hand which is not the rule

dont like the rule lobby to change it but it is the rule

same as if going up for layup and you have left your feet but oppostie side of court somone pushes someone that foul in concurrent with the shot.....shot goes and foul is assessed

raise the zag
03-15-2019, 04:22 PM
Virginia vs Florida St

Should be an interesting game of vastly different styles.

I want no part of FSU. I can't think of a worse matchup...then maybe Virginia that is...

Florida St's bench averages 33 ppg. Amazing. They go 10 deep, and their "11th man" averages 10mpg. They press all game, & their bigs are GIANT.

Virginia just executes so well. Every player bought in to style, coaching, game plan...they never take an ill advised shot, or even know what a "chuck" means. Every player knows how to play defense and in the right spots at the right time. Their defense is lock down.

20-10 FSU over Virginia to start the game.

Their size, rebounding, transition, depth game is just ridiculous.

In terms of size, Virginia looks like a HS team.

Virginia never panics and just makes winning plays, but even they look overwhelmed by the sheer size and depth of FSU.

I think I'd rather play Kentucky than either of these teams.

Virginia would slow us down, control tempo, while FSU would simply out run/size us.

gueastcoast
03-15-2019, 04:28 PM
UVa not controlling tempo so well against FSU so far. But still very early.

raise the zag
03-15-2019, 04:35 PM
UVa not controlling tempo so well against FSU so far. But still very early.

FSU the type of team who can really step it up. Another gear when needed.

They went to Elite 8, near Final 4 last season as an 11 seed.

Much cleaner/better FSU team this season.

Virginia will likely win, and simply out execute FSU by forcing them to guard in half court, but Florida St a very dangerous team, any team will struggle to put them out of the Tourney.

Hope they stay far away from from the West

gueastcoast
03-15-2019, 04:55 PM
FSU the type of team who can really step it up. Another gear when needed.

They went to Elite 8, near Final 4 last season as an 11 seed.

Much cleaner/better FSU team this season.

Virginia will likely win, and simply out execute FSU by forcing them to guard in half court, but Florida St a very dangerous team, any team will struggle to put them out of the Tourney.

Hope they stay far away from from the West

35-31 FSU at half.

Agree Virginia should win - they don't look bad - but right now FSU looks the better team.

DixieZag
03-15-2019, 05:29 PM
I suspect Florida State is tough to beat even when they don't shoot 50% for godsake.

Amazing UVA is only down 4 with 12 left.

Been watching for 10 mins now, UVA hasn't taken a bad shot yet.

Though they did turn it over …. once.

Zagger
03-15-2019, 05:41 PM
It is a good FSU/UV game. I personally hope the Zags play FSU. That’d be a great game. FSU now up 9 with 8:12 left.

NEC26
03-15-2019, 05:48 PM
If FSU wins are they a three seed?

NEC26
03-15-2019, 05:50 PM
It sucks to see UVA go down knowing we had a chance at the overall 1 seed if we would have won.

bartruff1
03-15-2019, 05:50 PM
FSU looks like a much better team than Virginia....but it isn't over till it is over....I would much rather play Virginia just based on this game...

raise the zag
03-15-2019, 05:52 PM
FSU looks like a much better team than Virginia....but it isn't over till it is over....

Amazing Virginia only 2 losses all season. Both to Duke.

raise the zag
03-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Minnesota 74, Purdue 71. 28 seconds remaining. MN the #7 seed

ETA: Gophers beat Top 2 seed #13 Purdue

meadgrad02
03-15-2019, 06:03 PM
Crazy that they lost to Wake and BC. Two bad losses back to back.

Zagger
03-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Iowa State beats Kansas State. Another #1 goes down.

Zagger
03-15-2019, 06:11 PM
And FSU wins by 10 .....

TexasZagFan
03-15-2019, 06:18 PM
And FSU wins by 10 .....

...and the talking heads say they're still the #1 seed.

bballbeachbum
03-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Hamilton punks Bennett at his own game

SorenTodd45
03-15-2019, 06:25 PM
UVA's loss might mean something, but it should not affect where the Zags play. The Zags will be in SJ or Salt Lake, no ? about it.

bballbeachbum
03-15-2019, 06:32 PM

That is absurd

gueastcoast
03-15-2019, 06:36 PM

The implication I'd take away from that is that a loss to a high-metric team in your conference tourney shouldn't knock you off of the 1 line.

Clearly still many shoes left to drop, but if they hold as the overall #1 and we drop off the 1 line, that's what you call getting "jobbed".

Zagceo
03-15-2019, 06:57 PM
high level Semi-final game

Zags be happy with #2 seed

katman50
03-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Those Carolina boys fly up and down the court. Pretty impressive.

bartruff1
03-15-2019, 07:06 PM
high level Semi-final game

Zags be happy with #2 seed

I hope they are not happy...but pissed...

NEC26
03-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Tennessee in a somewhat tight game with Miss. St. Up by 5. If they lost that is certainly a big help.

23dpg
03-15-2019, 07:59 PM
Nevada about to lose. Down

DixieZag
03-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Zion. is. a. monster.

Zags11
03-15-2019, 08:09 PM
Zion. is. a. monster.

Stud

RenoZag
03-15-2019, 08:12 PM
San Diego State knocks off Nevada. . .the bubble shrinks. . .

DixieZag
03-15-2019, 08:17 PM
All I can say is that given the very very high level ball that UNC and Duke are playing, it is somewhat comforting that it seems neither can hit a 3 to save their lives.

NEC26
03-15-2019, 08:18 PM
San Diego State knocks off Nevada. . .the bubble shrinks. . .

If USU wins that tournamen it wouldn't. Anyone else yes.

NEC26
03-15-2019, 08:20 PM
UW choking away their lead on Colorado.

Edit: UW wins but they did their best to choke away that game.

thespywhozaggedme
03-15-2019, 08:22 PM
All I can say is that given the very very high level ball that UNC and Duke are playing, it is somewhat comforting that it seems neither can hit a 3 to save their lives.

There are 353 D1 schools in mens cbb. Duke is #334.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct/count/321

gonzagafan62
03-15-2019, 08:24 PM
If USU wins that tournamen it wouldn't. Anyone else yes.

Correct. Utah state is already locked in

RenoZag
03-15-2019, 08:33 PM
Was Duke vs. UNC a preview of a Final Four match-up ?

DixieZag
03-15-2019, 08:35 PM
There are 353 D1 schools in mens cbb. Duke is #334.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct/count/321

That's good.

Because when Zion decides he wants to score 2 points there's basically no way to stop him.

It would take 3 Steph Currys and 2 Shaqs on the floor (at all times) to beat them when he plays like he did tonight.

Trade 3s for 2s.

Hoopaholic
03-15-2019, 08:36 PM
freshman blues for UNC.....that freshman guard sink or swim with his decisions uggg

NEC26
03-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Would have been much better had Duke won easy but I'm glad Duke won. Now I hope they lose to FSU.

Section 116
03-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Need more basketball: Seton Hall vs. Marquette, 3 point game about 8 minutes left: FS1

NEC26
03-15-2019, 08:42 PM
EWU looks to be headed to championship game against Montana.

Hoopaholic
03-15-2019, 08:55 PM
EWU looks to be headed to championship game against Montana.

wife school-eastern versus our sons school Montana......cant go wrong wtih either winning

RenoZag
03-15-2019, 08:56 PM
Need more basketball: Seton Hall vs. Marquette, 3 point game about 8 minutes left: FS1

Three players ejected in this one. . .will have to catch the replay on one of the highlight shows. . .

NEC26
03-15-2019, 08:58 PM
wife school-eastern versus our sons school Montana......cant go wrong wtih either winning

If GU gets one seed I could see either team being our match up in the first round.

willandi
03-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Was Duke vs. UNC a preview of a Final Four match-up ?

I hope so. Zags can take on the winner!

ZagOD7540
03-15-2019, 09:06 PM
If GU gets one seed I could see either team being our match up in the first round.

The Duke win tonight is going to bump us to a 2 seed. No chance of playing the Eags. Maybe a 2 vs 15 against the Griz. They may actually be seeded a bit better.

willandi
03-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Would have been much better had Duke won easy but I'm glad Duke won. Now I hope they lose to FSU.

Was Bolden back for Duke or were they playing shorthanded?

NEC26
03-15-2019, 09:08 PM
Was Bolden back for Duke or were they playing shorthanded?

Bolden was out but I honestly think that is a good thing for Duke. The guys they had behind him are much better.

RenoZag
03-15-2019, 09:16 PM
Seton Hall knocks off Marquette 81 - 79

willandi
03-15-2019, 09:18 PM
Bolden was out but I honestly think that is a good thing for Duke. The guys they had behind him are much better.

So they STILL weren't at full strength.

sittingon50
03-15-2019, 09:37 PM
Alabama St. 66
Texas Southern 80 (21-12,14-4)

SWAC Semi

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-16-2019, 05:57 AM
This link is to a page at cbs sports.com that has links to all of the conference tournament brackets:

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules/conference-tournament

A complete listing of Friday's games can be found here: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/schedule/ALL/20190315/

This is a great link and surprisingly difficult to find from cbssports homepage, at least for me. Kept winding up at their bracket games page.

Thanks for posting this Reno! Good starting point for catching up on all conference tourney scores and highlights.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-16-2019, 06:04 AM

I predict FSU rolls Duke. Third game in 3 days for short Duke bench plays right into Leonard Hamilton’s come at you in waves strategy. Don’t think Zion scores so easily in post vs FSU bigs, starting w their 7’4#guy.

I hope Zags can avoid FSU. In fact I wouldn’t mind an all ACC #1 seed line of UVA, Duke, UNC, FSU assuming Florida State wins ACC tourney. Reason being is I think selection committee will keep these 4 ACC teams in separate regions, in which case Zags would most likely have to beat one of them to make it to Final Four. If that’s the case, Zags getting dropped to a #2 seed may serve to get our guys good and pissed off and even more determined to prove themselves

raise the zag
03-16-2019, 06:39 AM
I predict FSU rolls Duke. Third game in 3 days for short Duke bench plays right into Leonard Hamilton’s come at you in waves strategy. Don’t think Zion scores so easily in post vs FSU bigs, starting w their 7’4#guy.

I hope Zags can avoid FSU. In fact I wouldn’t mind an all ACC #1 seed line of UVA, Duke, UNC, FSU assuming Florida State wins ACC tourney. Reason being is I think selection committee will keep these 4 ACC teams in separate regions, in which case Zags would most likely have to beat one of them to make it to Final Four. If that’s the case, Zags getting dropped to a #2 seed may serve to get our guys good and pissed off and even more determined to prove themselves

I have a feeling Florida St beats Duke as well.

This board is well aware I've been singing FSU's praises all season long, and want to avoid them more than any team not named Kentucky or UNC.

Everyone says there is no way they put 3 ACC teams as #1 seeds. Why not?

We are as enamored by the ACC in bball, as we are by the SEC in football.

I have to assume they are saving the 4th #1 seed for SEC winner, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Duke, UVA, & UNC on top line.

Zags are being demoted and I feel it's deserved compared to the competition.

Body of work, one game does not define you, blah blah blah, but when top seeds lose this time of year, they still fight. They still play. Looking ahead is for losers, that is why it's a cliche.

Still figuring our our lineups and it's middle of March? Tillie injury is no excuse, don't see other still "tinkering" or confused at which guards and when, maybe this big with this one, or play all three together, maybe not, how do we use him, still finding roles, Jones here, or should be Kispert there, etc. Tillie is messing with the chemistry, a good problem to have, but we are still finding ourselves. Not good.

Watch all these teams today, yesterday, day before...they know exactly who their Top 7 or 8 truly are. Pin point precision, the back ups/bench know their roles, not whether they need to score or not score or what not. This all showed up vs SMC. A lot of standing around, waiting, watching, wondering, and who should step up!

Red flags all around. That alone is not #1 seed material. Some of our guys are receiving a ton of public NBA hype and others, who I think want it as well, are simply not. Norvell is one of those guys. He is a team player but subconsciously making a play for the League just as much as Clarke and Rui (even Tillie). Their chances are winding down to impress scouts. They want to be in that same conversation...and playing like it. Rui, on the other hand, played like he didn't want to get injured once the game got physical. Already thinking NBA perhaps? Even if just subconscious thought? When was the last time you saw him drive to the hoop with abandon?

As Coach Few said twice post game, "we got pride get in our way".

Not supposed to happen this time of year, especially top seeds. Gotta know your roles, your teammates roles, you lineups should be set in stone for every situation, and know what you are going to get from your guys. Seamless. That is what I have seen last couple days.

bballbeachbum
03-16-2019, 09:16 AM
the matchups matter, period.

Zag players know their roles, they've evolved right before our eyes all season, even with the injuries making Few have to adjust all season. so the Zags are trying to re-integrate a key player into the mix? so what. Adjusting and having more than one way to play is a weakness? hahaha

come on, that's a strength. Look no further than UVA last year. unable to adjust even though all players knew their role and played hard, knew their teammates roles and every situation, etc., with no one looking ahead to the NBA, and they got punked. Unable to adjust, able to play just one way, ran into a matchup on the perimeter they could not adjust to, lost...and they lost while still playing hard, but so what? everyone plays hard

in fact, against SMC and by not adjusting and still trying to play up tempo and the 'Zag way' even when it wasn't there, cost us mightily in that game, hurried bad shot after hurried bad shot.

Zags do have weaknesses of course, all teams do. Giving up the o boards is one of them, as is the post D, but this has been true all year. the perimeter D does get beat off the bounce, but they are also forcing the bounce to deny catch and shoot 3s

Anyway, as I've noted throughout Rui's entire career at GU including his off season play with Japan, his post D is his biggest weakness, teams attack him there, repeatedly. Bennett knows this and sent giant after giant to make Rui defend the post. All teams Zags face will go after him there, as will any matchup he faces the rest of his life until he makes them stop by making teams pay for attacking him there. Side benefit to the opposition is it controls tempo too when they shoot a high % on those post ups and Zags can't run. See SMC game.

But that means Rui is thinking ahead to the NBA? good grief, then he has been all season. And frankly, if he is thinking ahead, he needs to prove he can defend the post to those guys

MontanaCoyote
03-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Good luck! Paging spywhozaggedme! Honestly I am no Kentucky fan mainly because of Calipari but I don't see them as a serious threat to unseat us as long as Duke wins tonight.

Edit: even if they don't I still think we will be a higher seed than Kentucky but I would be a little more nervous about it.

I have a feeling Florida St beats Duke as well.

This board is well aware I've been singing FSU's praises all season long, and want to avoid them more than any team not named Kentucky or UNC.

Everyone says there is no way they put 3 ACC teams as #1 seeds. Why not?

We are as enamored by the ACC in bball, as we are by the SEC in football.

I have to assume they are saving the 4th #1 seed for SEC winner, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Duke, UVA, & UNC on top line.

Zags are being demoted and I feel it's deserved compared to the competition.

Body of work, one game does not define you, blah blah blah, but when top seeds lose this time of year, they still fight. They still play. Looking ahead is for losers, that is why it's a cliche.

Still figuring our our lineups and it's middle of March? Tillie injury is no excuse, don't see other still "tinkering" or confused at which guards and when, maybe this big with this one, or play all three together, maybe not, how do we use him, still finding roles, Jones here, or should be Kispert there, etc. Tillie is messing with the chemistry, a good problem to have, but we are still finding ourselves. Not good.

Watch all these teams today, yesterday, day before...they know exactly who their Top 7 or 8 truly are. Pin point precision, the back ups/bench know their roles, not whether they need to score or not score or what not. This all showed up vs SMC. A lot of standing around, waiting, watching, wondering, and who should step up!

Red flags all around. That alone is not #1 seed material. Some of our guys are receiving a ton of public NBA hype and others, who I think want it as well, are simply not. Norvell is one of those guys. He is a team player but subconsciously making a play for the League just as much as Clarke and Rui (even Tillie). Their chances are winding down to impress scouts. They want to be in that same conversation...and playing like it. Rui, on the other hand, played like he didn't want to get injured once the game got physical. Already thinking NBA perhaps? Even if just subconscious thought? When was the last time you saw him drive to the hoop with abandon?

As Coach Few said twice post game, "we got pride get in our way".

Not supposed to happen this time of year, especially top seeds. Gotta know your roles, your teammates roles, you lineups should be set in stone for every situation, and know what you are going to get from your guys. Seamless. That is what I have seen last couple days.

That makes two of us on FSU. Got tired of my own repetitiveness on pointing out what they did to us at the dance last year and what they’re still doing. To for once cut it short, FSU =‘s Quality Depth, just don’t skip a beat going deep, real deep!

Zagceo
03-16-2019, 09:43 AM
SMC scored 60 points and fans call out Rui's defense as an issue...please.

Hoopaholic
03-16-2019, 10:46 AM
SMC scored 60 points and fans call out Rui's defense as an issue...please.

Defense was not an issue from my view in this particular game from the team as a whole

Birddog
03-16-2019, 12:00 PM
In the Duke/UNC game did anybody else think the 5th foul against UNC's Brooks with about 2 mins left was a BS call? It became a three pt play and Duke won by 1. I thought it should have been a no call instead of an and 1.