PDA

View Full Version : Withers: Is the sky falling?

sittingon50
03-13-2019, 03:18 PM
https://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/344583/zags-so-is-the-sky-falling-now

jazzdelmar
03-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Nailed it.

MontanaCoyote
03-13-2019, 03:39 PM
Withers is good and hard to disagree with. Just not sure I “buy” the SMC Blueprint game plan is no big deal because other teams can’t do it as well as the Gaels. Maybe not, but they’ll try and many of them are more talented than SMC.

I mean, if you’re a coach coming up against the Zags, wouldn’t you give it, or some variation of it a go? Nothing else has slowed the Zags down, so why not?

Ezag
03-13-2019, 03:40 PM
on Rui "He seemed to be without urgency." Agreed! He was so passive last night with his 9 points in 34 minutes and only shooting 6 times. Where is his fire to win?

bartruff1
03-13-2019, 03:51 PM
If Perkins is actually injured ….that would be a serious problem ….as for the tempo it isn't "rocket surgery" to know that if you limit the possessions against a high scoring team you will have a better chance of beating them.....

If Gonzaga cannot win games in the 60s....it probably will not go deep in the Tournament ….

raise the zag
03-13-2019, 03:56 PM
Withers is good and hard to disagree with. Just not sure I “buy” the SMC Blueprint game plan is no big deal because other teams can’t do it as well as the Gaels. Maybe not, but they’ll try and many of them are more talented than SMC.

I mean, if you’re a coach coming up against the Zags, wouldn’t you give it a go?

Absolutely. If I'm the 15 seed, or 7/10 seed, you bet your buckets I'm watching the SMC game, on replay for all 4 days before our game. And all my players will watch it as well, to gain confidence, and see how to beat us.

Slow the game down. Zags will get bored, lulled to a meditative state, & get frustrated if/when shots aren't falling.

Be physical with Rui, esp on the boards. He will eventually shy away and rarely, if ever, box out. So, crash the boards hard on any missed shot, a tip out will likely fall in your hands

Isolate Corey Kispert on switches and kick outs. He bites on over helping every single time, nor will he defend your 3pt attempt if your stare at him

Or spread the floor and take Perkins all the way to the hoop. Or isolate Rui one on one while pulling Clarke away from the hoop with the other big

Control the flow and rhythm, or rather, take it away from the Zags. Feel free to walk ball up court, run shot clock down to 5, & pass along perimeter until they stop it. Zags won't bother with pressing, trapping, doubling, or even zoning to speed up the shot & limit dribble drive.

Sit back on defense in rows, sag around their bigs, dare their guards to make a shot. Also, Perkins looks for the lob or oop or bust, he will rarely make you pay at the rim. Not his game. Norvell can, but will sit 3 feet back from 3pt line and wait for a Perkins swing. Norvell only drives to rim off curl screens.

Don't anticipate getting a box out off missed shots, so crash the boards or simply leave ONE big guy with muscle around the rim for offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points. Rui will try to out jump you but won't try to battle or box.

Meanwhile, send every one back on transition when you miss except for the ONE big getting tip out rebounds. Be aggressive on transition, stop them before they get moving or heading to basket. Use your butt, trip, also, whatever it takes. The refs will be looking down court or lucky enough to get an offensive foul. Or some Zag guards will get over excited and make a terrible decision. Either way, stop the transition in its tracks.

Make it a half court game. Just force them to defend. They won't challenge or trap, so just keep dribbling and eventually they will foul or give up an opening.

In summary, slow the pace, sag in the paint, crash the offensive boards, control the tempo/flow/rhythm, play half court grinding game, isolate Kispert all over the court, Perkins dribble drive, and Rui one on one, and be willing to foul or not foul on any transition opportunity. Oh ya, don't worry about the guards breaking you down and scoring at the rim.

Blue print.

raise the zag
03-13-2019, 04:00 PM
on Rui "He seemed to be without urgency." Agreed! He was so passive last night with his 9 points in 34 minutes and only shooting 6 times. Where is his fire to win?

And add in only 5 rebounds...and all 5 were without challenge, essentially landing in his lap.

I didn't see a single box out on replay. And that isn't an exaggeration.

Please know, jumping up towards/at a ball isn't the answer for most rebounds when opponent is bigger and tougher and wants it more than you.

The kid has got to start boxing out. Also, they were pushing him around and out of the paint last night.

He must find other ways to get the ball and other ways to score.

gonzagafan62
03-13-2019, 04:07 PM

I mean, if you’re a coach coming up against the Zags, wouldn’t you give it, or some variation of it a go? Nothing else has slowed the Zags down, so why not?

How many offenses can do why SMC does? Bud is right. Not many. I’m throwing it out the door. Norvell and Perkins aren’t going to play like that (most likely) the rest of the season.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-13-2019, 04:09 PM
If the shots are falling... then the game turns into SMC's first game against us.

They played the same tempo.

gonzagafan62
03-13-2019, 04:12 PM
If the shots are falling... then the game turns into SMC's first game against us.

They played the same tempo.

Exactly. Teams can try to “blueprint” all they want.

Here’s the facts of last nights game. SMC got all the calls, all the lucky shots to go in, had to have the worst zags points outing since MSG vs duke to win.

All this other talk is utter nonsense.

raise the zag
03-13-2019, 04:21 PM
How many offenses can do why SMC does? Bud is right. Not many. I’m throwing it out the door. Norvell and Perkins aren’t going to play like that (most likely) the rest of the season.

Right now, Virginia, Michigan, Va Tech, & SMC all rank in the 340's out of 353 in tempo & possessions per game. All 4 are potential Tourney teams, so here's to hoping!

Reborn
03-13-2019, 04:33 PM
I agree with Bud. No! The sky is not falling. So maybe we can stop talking as if it is......Do some of you really give up THAT easy. "A blue print for beating Gonzaga." That is a joke. The Zags had a bad shooting night. It was time to lose a game so we can start a new win streak.

Go Zags!!!

Zagceo
03-13-2019, 04:59 PM
NOBODY IS SAYING THE SKY IS FALLING BUT THE PEOPLE CLAIMING THE SKY IS NOT FALLING!

:lmao:

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-13-2019, 05:15 PM
https://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/344583/zags-so-is-the-sky-falling-now

Puff piece. Wish he’d ask Few some tough questions and report back to us his answers. For example, your players didn’t seem to have any urgency or intensity tonight coach. Why is that and what did you do to try and get their competitive fire ignited at halftime? Why didn’t you try to press them more to speeedcup the tempo? Is Perkins’ right shoulder ok?

I really hope I’m wrong and everyone here taunts me for saying this, but I just can’t chalk that championship game choke job up to “oh well, shots just weren’t falling”. Something seemed very wrong w our Zags and coaches last night and my expectations for this team have been greatly diminished as a result. Not my hopes, my expectations.

willandi
03-13-2019, 05:38 PM

The way to beat the Zags is to outscore them...so run and gun!

If you don't have the horses, that won't work.

Just trying to copy what SMC does, if it is not your game and you don't have the personnel, won't work.

Not directed at you personally MC, just at all the naysayers that believe it to be that easy.

willandi
03-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Absolutely. If I'm the 15 seed, or 7/10 seed, you bet your buckets I'm watching the SMC game, on replay for all 4 days before our game. And all my players will watch it as well, to gain confidence, and see how to beat us.

Slow the game down. Zags will get bored, lulled to a meditative state, & get frustrated if/when shots aren't falling.

Be physical with Rui, esp on the boards. He will eventually shy away and rarely, if ever, box out. So, crash the boards hard on any missed shot, a tip out will likely fall in your hands

Isolate Corey Kispert on switches and kick outs. He bites on over helping every single time, nor will he defend your 3pt attempt if your stare at him

Or spread the floor and take Perkins all the way to the hoop. Or isolate Rui one on one while pulling Clarke away from the hoop with the other big

Control the flow and rhythm, or rather, take it away from the Zags. Feel free to walk ball up court, run shot clock down to 5, & pass along perimeter until they stop it. Zags won't bother with pressing, trapping, doubling, or even zoning to speed up the shot & limit dribble drive.

Sit back on defense in rows, sag around their bigs, dare their guards to make a shot. Also, Perkins looks for the lob or oop or bust, he will rarely make you pay at the rim. Not his game. Norvell can, but will sit 3 feet back from 3pt line and wait for a Perkins swing. Norvell only drives to rim off curl screens.

Don't anticipate getting a box out off missed shots, so crash the boards or simply leave ONE big guy with muscle around the rim for offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points. Rui will try to out jump you but won't try to battle or box.

Meanwhile, send every one back on transition when you miss except for the ONE big getting tip out rebounds. Be aggressive on transition, stop them before they get moving or heading to basket. Use your butt, trip, also, whatever it takes. The refs will be looking down court or lucky enough to get an offensive foul. Or some Zag guards will get over excited and make a terrible decision. Either way, stop the transition in its tracks.

Make it a half court game. Just force them to defend. They won't challenge or trap, so just keep dribbling and eventually they will foul or give up an opening.

In summary, slow the pace, sag in the paint, crash the offensive boards, control the tempo/flow/rhythm, play half court grinding game, isolate Kispert all over the court, Perkins dribble drive, and Rui one on one, and be willing to foul or not foul on any transition opportunity. Oh ya, don't worry about the guards breaking you down and scoring at the rim.

Blue print.

And add in only 5 rebounds...and all 5 were without challenge, essentially landing in his lap.

I didn't see a single box out on replay. And that isn't an exaggeration.

Please know, jumping up towards/at a ball isn't the answer for most rebounds when opponent is bigger and tougher and wants it more than you.

The kid has got to start boxing out. Also, they were pushing him around and out of the paint last night.

He must find other ways to get the ball and other ways to score.

Right now, Virginia, Michigan, Va Tech, & SMC all rank in the 340's out of 353 in tempo & possessions per game. All 4 are potential Tourney teams, so here's to hoping!

How much are you betting for the Zags to lose?

It reads like you are convinced they will. Every post has been negative.

Quit with the negative vibes Moriarty!

raise the zag
03-13-2019, 05:59 PM
How much are you betting for the Zags to lose?

It reads like you are convinced they will. Every post has been negative.

Quit with the negative vibes Moriarty!

Agreed. I'm all vented out. Sense of calm tonight. The loss kinda scared me yet over it now.

Moving on, excited for Selection Sunday, never gets old always sick with anticipation before our name pops on the screen!

The guys will respond. They put in such great effort all season, wanted the Trophy for them, much deserved.

CDC84
03-13-2019, 06:01 PM
The overwhelming feeling is that the Zags just didn't seem to be engaged on either end of the floor. If they were engaged, I don't know if that 100% guarantees a GU win, but it sure as heck makes the game closer. But again, when you play these teams like SMC and UVA, you can take any lead they have and double it. If UVA is up 7 on GU, it is really more like 14.

I think there is only so much you can do to speed up a team like UVA that not only plays at a slow pace, but does so with high major players and one lottery pick (and possibly some other NBA guys) who just don't turn the ball over. Quick shots are just a killer unless it is a clear fast break opportunity.

willandi
03-13-2019, 06:04 PM
Agreed. I'm all vented out. Sense of calm tonight. The loss kinda scared me yet over it now.

Moving on, excited for Selection Sunday, never gets old always sick with anticipation before our name pops on the screen!

The guys will respond. They put in such great effort all season, wanted the Trophy for them, much deserved.

Great! I am excited too!

CDC84
03-13-2019, 06:07 PM
I don't feel what raise the zag is saying is doomsday material. It's just a reminder that this team is not perfect. Everyone has their weaknesses. There is a script for beating Duke in the ACC....I am sure of it. Doesn't mean it will happen.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Few and his staff are AWARE that NCAA teams might try to employ the SMC script. I am not a believer that the script works no matter how much Few and the team work on countering it. This team won 21 straight games. It is still on a historical pace for offensive efficiency, and is still in the top 20 in defensive efficiency. In fact, GU rose to #14 in defense last night despite the loss. Moreover, we have Rui Hachimura and Brandon Clarke, and 95%+ of all NCAA teams don't. In the NCAA tourney, sometimes just pure talent wins.

Just because another team uses the same script doesn't mean it will be successful. But you have to counter, and that's where these coaches make the big bucks.

Malastein
03-13-2019, 06:57 PM
I feel disappointed that they weren’t as engaged as I’d hope for a Championship game, but I think they let little frustrations take them out of it. Norvell probably had his worst game as a Zag, and was clearly frustrated with the errant charge call that went against him in the first half. The only real concern is that these guys don’t fall into the same funk in the tournament no matter what. They had the ability to will themselves into the game, and very well could’ve won if they had ever made the push. Outside of Tillie and Clarke, there just wasn’t enough consistent effort.

Zagsker
03-13-2019, 07:04 PM

Yup

sideshow06
03-13-2019, 09:19 PM
I’d only be afraid of teams like Virginia, which are kind of like a much better version of the Gaels. Other than that, you guys are equipped to handle just about anyone. And honestly, you beat us by 48. You can beat Virginia too. Don’t get cocky. Remember where you came from. Play like the underdog and you can bring a national championship to the WCC.