PDA

View Full Version : New Bracketology after loss.

Spike94
03-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Here is what is up now. I would take this in a second.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

CDC84
03-12-2019, 08:42 PM
The problem with Lunardi.....he's great at picking teams, not so much at seeding them and locating them. We can only hope. But most pundits tonight seem to feel that Gonzaga has retained it's number one seed. Lots of folks said even before the WCC semis that GU was a lock for a 1.

katman50
03-12-2019, 08:44 PM
Would gladly take it!

jazzdelmar
03-12-2019, 08:55 PM
SMC could get to the S16.

CDC84
03-12-2019, 09:03 PM
I told Nevada Don Jazz that I hope his team gets an 11 seed. Remember the 2016 Zag team?? GU needed to win the tourney to get in the dance. Six seeds are normally not all that great, and there is always a 3 seed or two that is vulnerable. The 2016 Zag team had Seton Hall sucking on oxygen in round 1, and Karnowski kicked Poetl's (spelling??) butt in round two). Unfortunately, Gonzaga choked away a chance to get to the elite 8 against UVA. They had Boeheim beat.
An 11 seed is a good seed to get if you get the right matchups.

jazzdelmar
03-13-2019, 02:27 AM
Yup. But it was Cuse and Perks missed a runner for the win.

I told Nevada Don Jazz that I hope his team gets an 11 seed. Remember the 2016 Zag team?? GU needed to win the tourney to get in the dance. Six seeds are normally not all that great, and there is always a 3 seed or two that is vulnerable. The 2016 Zag team had Seton Hall sucking on oxygen in round 1, and Karnowski kicked Poetl's (spelling??) butt in round two). Unfortunately, Gonzaga choked away a chance to get to the elite 8 against UVA. They had Boeheim beat.
An 11 seed is a good seed to get if you get the right matchups.

kitzbuel
03-13-2019, 03:15 AM
The problem with Lunardi.....he's great at picking teams, not so much at seeding them and locating them. We can only hope. But most pundits tonight seem to feel that Gonzaga has retained it's number one seed. Lots of folks said even before the WCC semis that GU was a lock for a 1.
We still have all the P6 tournaments to go yet. Lots of time left for pundit prevarication.

CarolinaZagFan
03-13-2019, 04:31 AM
Scares me. I’m terrified of facing Syracuse in the second round. I feel like their zone against our poor outside shooting is a recipe for disaster. Especially when our guys don’t stop jacking up threes even when they’re having a terrible night.

gu03alum
03-13-2019, 06:38 AM
Parrish and Norlander said that Gonzaga is a 1 seed today, but likened it to a golfer who has finished his round and is waiting for the other golfers to finish. They said that Carolina, Duke, LSU, and Michigan State could all knock Gonzaga from the 1 seed with a strong conference tournament performance.

stretch
03-13-2019, 06:53 AM
My gut feeling is that the committee is not going to be as gracious to the Zags as Lunardi.

CdAZagFan
03-13-2019, 06:55 AM
Parrish and Norlander said that Gonzaga is a 1 seed today, but likened it to a golfer who has finished his round and is waiting for the other golfers to finish. They said that Carolina, Duke, LSU, and Michigan State could all knock Gonzaga from the 1 seed with a strong conference tournament performance.

Great analogy. The thing I have always disliked about the WCC finishing up so early is to have to spend the rest of week listening to all the pundits slobbering over themselves over the power 5 conferences and justifying why those teams deserve so many spots in the dance.

HenneZag
03-13-2019, 06:56 AM
Alot will depend on what happens the next few days. Zags shot themselves In the foot last night imo. I think a 2 seed is coming our way but I will be happy with that.

caldwellzag
03-13-2019, 07:42 AM

Exactly! Good thing for us is that Duke or UNC both will not have a great tournament, as they play each other in their second round (semis). No way Duke and UNC get a number 1 seed if neither wins the ACC. Michigan St has a chance, LSU it's a long shot, but if they knock off Kentucky does that drop us or Kentucky out of a top seed.

Before the WCC tournament everyone called us a lock at 1, I would say we still are a lock, just not as locked in as we were a day ago. The sky has not fallen people we will be fine.

amaronizag
03-13-2019, 07:53 AM
In the bracket linked above, St Mary's will have to play Virginia Tech in their first game and I'm afraid Buzz and the boys will blow them out. Very tough team, but if they somehow win, they have a shot at beating KS State using the same strategy they used to slow down and beat GU.

gueastcoast
03-13-2019, 07:56 AM
Exactly! Good thing for us is that Duke or UNC both will not have a great tournament, as they play each other in their second round (semis). No way Duke and UNC get a number 1 seed if neither wins the ACC. Michigan St has a chance, LSU it's a long shot, but if they knock off Kentucky does that drop us or Kentucky out of a top seed.

Before the WCC tournament everyone called us a lock at 1, I would say we still are a lock, just not as locked in as we were a day ago. The sky has not fallen people we will be fine.

While an unnatural act for me, I guess we are all Hoos fans this week!

Mr Vulture
03-13-2019, 10:25 AM
Like I've said for months, I don't really care if we are a 1 seed or a 2 seed as long as it's out West. As for the loss last night, remember that it was a Q1 game so it's not like it was a really bad loss in that sense.

VinnyZag
03-13-2019, 10:33 AM
SMC could get to the S16.

If they put the Gaels in San Jose, as Lunardi projects, yes.

FlyZag
03-13-2019, 10:37 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26242647/champ-week-edition

2. Gonzaga Bulldogs

Killian Tillie is back and playing, and that is nothing but a good thing. In spite of its uncharacteristic performance in the WCC final, Gonzaga is the best offensive team in the nation. The Zags were good enough to win it all without the big, sweet-shooting Frenchman Tillie. With him, the Zags are significantly better. No matter what, this is a No. 1 seed.

GonzaGAW
03-13-2019, 03:56 PM
- one or two, does not matter, its the match ups.
- I know joe is not good at seeding the tourney...........but in this bracket, I'd much rather be at the bottom of the bracket on the 2 line.
- I'd rather play Cincinnati than Syracuse, and purdue rather than florida state.

raise the zag
03-13-2019, 04:16 PM
- one or two, does not matter, its the match ups.
- I know joe is not good at seeding the tourney...........but in this bracket, I'd much rather be at the bottom of the bracket on the 2 line.
- I'd rather play Cincinnati than Syracuse, and purdue rather than florida state.

I agree on FSU, yet is this team tough enough for a Cincy?

Are we nasty, physical, aggressive enough to compete with stronger, equally athletic players?

Jordan Hunter looked like Sabonis last night, or at least we made him look that way. And Rui looked like a puppy peeing on a porch vs more physical bigs.

I realize one game but I also realize red flags. And I saw too many last night and throughout the season.

Even Kispert said post game when asked about being out-rebounded & dominated on the glass, "we realize its a chink in our armor: rebounding that is".

Heck they even recognize it's an issue. We have dominated opponents by outscoring them but been dominated on the glass by every good team (Duke had 22 off rebs, Tennessee had 16 off rebs alone too). And our #' s were merely average in WCC play on the glass.

It's that kind of stat, the physical hustle stat like rebounding.

Watching Houston - Cincy last wkend, also Mich St, Kentucky (minus Reid), et al....they yell, scream, holler, give it their all on every rebound. Kinda like when Rui dunks for show.

Rebounding is like your offensive line in football. You can still have a damn good looking team, nice QB, skilled WR's, a fast RB, win a ton of games, but the moment you play a team more physical/ tougher in the "trenches", you are toast.

We have Clarke and that is it. Sometimes Jones and Kispert come to rebound. We know Rui is capable but ever since he starred getting known for his highlight vids, he has played really laissez faire underneath the hoop. When was the last time you recall him truly posting up?

Not just catching a pass at the elbow and shooting or driving it, I'm talking battling for position calling for the ball? And if someone else missed, an actual box out...been awhile.

It's not just about Rui here, but team mentality and identity. So, are we physical and tough enough to play a 2016 West Virginia type team this year? I haven't seen it but I certainly hope to, because I know how capable we can be, especially Rui.

DixieZag
03-13-2019, 04:45 PM
I agree on FSU, yet is this team tough enough for a Cincy?

Are we nasty, physical, aggressive enough to compete with stronger, equally athletic players?

Jordan Hunter looked like Sabonis last night, or at least we made him look that way. And Rui looked like a puppy peeing on a porch vs more physical bigs.

I realize one game but I also realize red flags. And I saw too many last night and throughout the season.

Even Kispert said post game when asked about being out-rebounded & dominated on the glass, "we realize its a chink in our armor: rebounding that is".

Heck they even recognize it's an issue. We have dominated opponents by outscoring them but been dominated on the glass by every good team (Duke had 22 off rebs, Tennessee had 16 off rebs alone too). And our #' s were merely average in WCC play on the glass.

It's that kind of stat, the physical hustle stat like rebounding.

Watching Houston - Cincy last wkend, also Mich St, Kentucky (minus Reid), et al....they yell, scream, holler, give it their all on every rebound. Kinda like when Rui dunks for show.

Rebounding is like your offensive line in football. You can still have a damn good looking team, nice QB, skilled WR's, a fast RB, win a ton of games, but the moment you play a team more physical/ tougher in the "trenches", you are toast.

We have Clarke and that is it. Sometimes Jones and Kispert come to rebound. We know Rui is capable but ever since he starred getting known for his highlight vids, he has played really laissez faire underneath the hoop. When was the last time you recall him truly posting up?

Not just catching a pass at the elbow and shooting or driving it, I'm talking battling for position calling for the ball? And if someone else missed, an actual box out...been awhile.

It's not just about Rui here, but team mentality and identity. So, are we physical and tough enough to play a 2016 West Virginia type team this year? I haven't seen it but I certainly hope to, because I know how capable we can be, especially Rui.

I hear your concerns. As you note, they were always there.

So, it's going to be an opportunity - of a sort - for the team to look at itself one last time prior to playing "sudden death," and perhaps at least playing with recognition where problem areas might lie.

You mention WVU in 2017. I wonder if we beat WVU if we hadn't gotten beaten by BYU just weeks prior, that year? One can never know for sure.

For now, and because I can "choose" to look at this any way I want, I am choosing to still believe this is the most talented offensive team in the country, most talented offensive team we've ever had, and they just got a big helping of humility to ponder while it prepares.

If that 'humility" results in a loss of confidence and indecision, that's a bad takeaway. If it results in re-doubled effort to cover the weakness, then perhaps it is the last necessary step to get us over a possible obstacle to the FF.

And before anyone takes THAT much away from this game, a few things of which we can be certain:

1. Josh was hurt, and we learned now he likely won't be hurting in the tourney, but also know that if he IS, it is now incumbent to either hide him or have Crandall just lay it all out, bc - in retrospect - our 5th year player will need to either "be healthy" or "be cautious" going forward.

2. Whether due to injury, sunspots, or allergens, when your guards are both A) shooting uncharacteristically high volume of your shots, while B) making none, very few teams win when that happens. I suspect that lesson will be ingrained, deeply.

3. I just have to believe the personal loss with the ZagWomen impacted Few/staff. These people are family, and they were all on the road together, no way can a loss not be felt throughout staffs of both programs. Few is prone to "Doe in the headlights" moments, see last year FSU, just such a sensitive guy (a very good thing overall). That's unlikely to happen again.

4. No team ever went really deep without playing with a sense of urgency. The team that took the floor last night had no urgency, now they have near 10 days to feel nothing but urgency.

bartruff1
03-13-2019, 04:59 PM
If they put the Gaels in San Jose, as Lunardi projects, yes.

Maybe God is a Gael....what a break that would be.....they certainly know the way to San Jose...

That is a good path for Gonzaga...