PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Emporia Game Recap Thread

former1dog
11-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Those who attended the game please post your recaps, impressions, and thoughts here.

I want to hear from a bunch of you!

Thanks! :)

zagster318
11-07-2007, 06:48 PM
1.) If Austin Daye ever bulks up, he is going to be an absolute stud. He's already the 3rd best offensive player on the team. The first two being Heytvelt and Pargo.

2.) Heytvelt got in for a few minutes, but he looked out of shape. It was just nice to see him on the court. Theo didn't play at all.

3.) While still raw offensively, Sacre could have a huge impact if he can improve his free throw shooting...it was bad. He went to the line at least six times.

4.) It seemed like we played a lot of zone in the first half. Of course, we were torched from the perimeter. The Zags shut them down in the 2nd half by playing more man to man.

5.) If Larry G. stays healthy, he could be the next Errol.

6.) Way too many turnovers and fouls.

7.) They all, with the exception of Pendo, need to improve their FT percentages.

Overall, the 1st half was a pathetic defensive effort, but the 2nd half was great. Once Heytvelt gets back to form, the Zags will become one of the best offenses in the country. That being said, if Pargo goes down, we will struggle a great deal.

former1dog
11-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Were they playing a lot of zone defense in the 1st half with slow rotation to the wings where Emporia was hitting threes?

BobZag
11-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Zagster nails it.

First half was lackluster and out of focus.

Second half the guys kicked it up a notch.

Daye is a future Adam type player. Micah's shot is sweet, especially when he shoots quickly. A well-balanced effort.

Perimeter D needs tightening up, bigs need to swat w/o fouling... All coachable things.

Emporia is a very nice collection of 3-point shooters (guards & forwards) and they deserve their #24 D2 ranking. To beat them by 30 was a good effort, but mainly a 20 minute effort. 40 minutes like the second half and it's curtains for most teams we play.

zagster318
11-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Were they playing a lot of zone defense in the 1st half with slow rotation to the wings where Emporia was hitting threes?

Exactly, though Larry G. did a great job on the perimeter. Some of Emporia's 3 point attempts were so wide open; I probably could have knocked them down. Like mentioned earlier, the 2nd half was quite impressive. To me, that means it's simply a matter of effort.

former1dog
11-07-2007, 07:06 PM
, bigs need to swat w/o fouling... All coachable things.

Block those shots, but avoid the "descending blow" guys. Keep the hands high, you don't need to swat it into the seats.

GonzagaGurl08
11-07-2007, 07:07 PM
I agree with Zagster and BZ. It was a good game but we were definately lacking and out of focus for the first half. We definately stepped it up in the 2nd half. It was great to see the freshman get playing time. Pictures to follow soon.

former1dog
11-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Exactly, though Larry G. did a great job on the perimeter. Some of Emporia's 3 point attempts were so wide open; I probably could have knocked them down.

Uuuugh, same old zone.

We need to trash that D against any team that can shoot 3's at all.

Heck, lets trash it all together. We can play man with as deep a team as we have.

Just rotate Pargo off the ball to keep him fresh as I seeing him playing a lot of minutes this year.

Zagdawg
11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
When we went to the trap for a few minutes-- Emporia had no idea how to handle it--

The 2nd half made my night--

HillBillyZag
11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
If I remember from listening to the game he had 10 pts, 3 boards, 1-2 assists and contributed to a couple of steals. Never count the redhead out!

zagster318
11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=former1dog;103438]Uuuugh, same old zone.

We need to trash that D against any team that can shoot 3's at all."

I cringe thinking that Few will try to use that zone against Tennessee.

gonza
11-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I may be wrong, but I think we were not playing zone when they were making the threes.
How about Heytvelt's blocked shots (both goaltends)?!?!
Highlights for me:
1) Dayes dunk that began way outside the key. He was in the air forever and what a reach.
2) When all four of the newcomers were on the court with LG.

CDC84
11-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Personally, I don't see the point of using a zone when you have a team with this much size, athleticism and shotblocking ability.....unless you need to protect players who are in foul trouble, or if you want throw something novel at the opponent to change game momentum.

That being said, this was an exhibition game, the coaches were experimenting, etc. Also, Gonzaga's defensive presence changes when Heytvelt is in there protecting the rim along with another athletic big like Kuso/Davis/Sacre. That will allow the perimeter guys to get after it even more.

I wouldn't concern myself too much with the free throw shooting right now. With the freshmen especially......there were a lot of nerves out there tonight.

former1dog
11-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Speaking of freshman and free throws, Sacre had 13 attempts, 7 makes. What kind of % did he put up in high school?

CDC84
11-07-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't know about Robert, but I know Austin shot around 87% or so.

Bocco
11-07-2007, 08:06 PM
1) We will enjoy watching Daye, Gray, and Sacre over the next few years.

2) It was great to see LG on the court again.

3) First half was very ragged, but they settled down in the secong half.

4) As BZ pointed out in another thread, this team is a work in progress.

wazZag
11-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Sacre looks like he'll be fine from the stripe, his shot looks good.

Daye is unbelievably smooth, deceptively fast.

It was nice to see Gray, Ira, and LG get some good minutes.

You gotta wonder what kind of preparation is done for these exhibition games. I doubt the coaches drive themselves mad breaking down game film. They make adjustments at the half, go back out and dominate.

El Voce
11-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Matt Bouldin had a really good second half going, but hurt his left ankle, and sat on the bench with ice on his ankle for the last half of the second half. Pendo went to the locker room for a bit in the second half -- looked like he might have gotten hit in the eye. However, Pendo returned and played some more, so I'm thinking he's OK.

Fonebone
11-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Saw Pendo after the game, he had two stitches in the skin right by the eye where it meets the bridge of the nose, he said he had to get new ones put in - so apperently nothing related to a scrathced eyeball or anything like that.
He was putting in short little jump shots - he'd just be open an plunk it in.

Daye - this dunk that has been refered to was incredible. He took off from way away from the backet, and it looked to me like there were a bunch of guys around the basket - seeing a replay would help - I didn't think he would even make it to the basket due to all they guys around it. But he just flew through them like a hot knife through butter, and the dunk was a gem - one of the finest I have seen.

Sacre - I see lots of playing time soon for him. When he rebonds he comes down and spreads out and looks like an immovable wall. He moves really well when he moves out to get the ball and pass - he does not look like a 7 foot guy - he is very agile and moblie. I agree that his free throw shooting should be fine - the shot looked good, like Josh would shoot - not a clanker type shot.

M.D. - I think he had four three point shots - was looking very good. Very quick and mobile on defence.

The second half it looked like we have blow away type talent - a whole bunch of high powered, athletic guys.

GonzagaGurl08
11-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Here are some pictures.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/MeghanBarrett/GU%20vs%20Emporia%20State/P1000300.jpg

J.H. shooting free throws. Notice the ball going staight in the net.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/MeghanBarrett/GU%20vs%20Emporia%20State/P1000273.jpg

L to R: Daye, Gray, Kuso, LG, and Pargo.

drnoe
11-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Holy crap, it's a pleasure to nit pick the sloppy play and lousy FT shooting tonight in light of how many D-I teams have been getting picked off in the early going...MSU, OSU, KY, et al.

I'm jealous of all who were able to attend tonight, however, I'm looking forward to the first TV game on Sunday.

I missed all of the first half on the radio because I was wearing my woohoo watch, but I caught most of the 2nd half. Very sloppy is how I perceived it, but happy to hear that Emporia's perimeter game went into the crapper. What a pleasure to see so many players get PT tonight. Austin Daye is the man...just wait, we ain't seen nothing yet. Pargo had a solid game tonight...pts, assists and even led the team in rebounding. I wish him good health for the season...we'll need it. I'm very sorry about Bouldin's injury, but it might translate into Gray getting more PT against Montana, which is a good thing for his confidence. Not worried about Bouldin...he's going to have a great season. What a great debut for Sacre...as Dukie V would say, he's going to be special. By mid season, if not before, Larry G and IRA! will be great contributors...it's a great thing to have great athletes on the bench. Micah...he just might be the steady eddy this team will need. We're looking at 4-5 players averaging double figures this season. Just wait until Pendo and Josh get to full strength. Can't wait to see how well Kuso is going to progress.

It was only an exhibition game...I'm looking forward to Sunday's game very much. I write this as I down my last Sierra Nevada for the night. The underwear stays on for yet another game.

wazZag
11-08-2007, 06:28 AM
Daye - this dunk that has been refered to was incredible. He took off from way away from the backet, and it looked to me like there were a bunch of guys around the basket - seeing a replay would help - I didn't think he would even make it to the basket due to all they guys around it. But he just flew through them like a hot knife through butter, and the dunk was a gem - one of the finest I have seen.

I liked Daye's second dunk the best, only because it was initiated by his own defensive play. Facing the ballhandler he slapped the ball loose with his right hand, ran around the handler's left side, took the breakaway into a reverse jam. He took off, no one was close.

jcarpenter
11-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Actually, Micah Downs maybe the best offensive player on the team.

1.) If Austin Daye ever bulks up, he is going to be an absolute stud. He's already the 3rd best offensive player on the team. The first two being Heytvelt and Pargo.

2.) Heytvelt got in for a few minutes, but he looked out of shape. It was just nice to see him on the court. Theo didn't play at all.

3.) While still raw offensively, Sacre could have a huge impact if he can improve his free throw shooting...it was bad. He went to the line at least six times.

4.) It seemed like we played a lot of zone in the first half. Of course, we were torched from the perimeter. The Zags shut them down in the 2nd half by playing more man to man.

5.) If Larry G. stays healthy, he could be the next Errol.

6.) Way too many turnovers and fouls.

7.) They all, with the exception of Pendo, need to improve their FT percentages.

Overall, the 1st half was a pathetic defensive effort, but the 2nd half was great. Once Heytvelt gets back to form, the Zags will become one of the best offenses in the country. That being said, if Pargo goes down, we will struggle a great deal.

cggonzaga
11-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Gonza is right, we played man most of the first half. It may have looked like a zone because of the way they were getting open looks but it was man nonetheless. They really tightened it up in the second half though and besides a couple open shots out of the zone it wasn't too bad. I thought Pendo made some bonehead plays that we can't have from a senior. I'm all for the hustle but sometimes you have to reign it in a little. Also turned the ball over a couple times that Few was not happy about. Kuso is playing great imo. Much more under control this year. The opposing team never gets an easy shot when he's in there. Pargo looked great and Micah's stroke is going to open things up for the offense. I can see a pretty good two game going for him and Josh. The freshman opened up after half. They were a little tentative in the first. Interesting that Ira didn't play a bunch.

cjm720
11-08-2007, 08:03 AM

Anyone have Daye's dunk on video? Youtube or anywhere?

Great game...I only listened on the radio but was pumped for it. We need to work on our defense beyond the stripe (same old story). It was intersting to see Few's rotations...great to see JH and LG back on the court. Sacre and Daye are gonna tear up the WCC.

Rubbadub
11-08-2007, 08:15 AM

Anyone have Daye's dunk on video? Youtube or anywhere?

Great game...I only listened on the radio but was pumped for it. We need to work on our defense beyond the stripe (same old story). It was intersting to see Few's rotations...great to see JH and LG back on the court. Sacre and Daye are gonna tear up the WCC.

it's been posted twice. See FuManShoes' or CDC's thread.

lawzag
11-08-2007, 08:51 AM
cjm if you go to http://www.krem.com/video/sports-index.html
you will see a picture of Few & below that a drop down list of about 5-6 short videos from the game including both of Daye's dunks. :)

Zagpower
11-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Agree with the previous recaps. Will just add how composed the Freshmen appeared last night.

A couple amusing plays from last night:

1) Austin's attempted shot from behind the backboard. The look on Few's face was priceless.

2) Pendo's attempt at a wide open three footer only to be swatted by a 6 ft nothing guard that Pendo never saw coming. I'm guessing he might be getting some good natured ribbing from his teammates over that one.

There is a ton of potential on this team and watching the players develop as well as how Coach will work them all in will make for one exciting season.

dim4sum
11-08-2007, 10:30 AM
The conventional wisdom of the Fast Food Fattie and Armchair Armadillo is that everyone has to bulk up, so that they can be as grossly intimidating as they are. This is a sure path to a season-ending injury, because bulking up, combined with diet, actually leeches calcium from the bone. My advice to Austin is stay as fit as you are, avoid the weight room, and run laps instead.

former1dog
11-08-2007, 10:35 AM
The conventional wisdom of the Fast Food Fattie and Armchair Armadillo is that everyone has to bulk up, so that they can be as grossly intimidating as they are. This is a sure path to a season-ending injury, because bulking up, combined with diet, actually leeches calcium from the bone. My advice to Austin is stay as fit as you are, avoid the weight room, and run laps instead.

Dude,

Give it a rest. Anyone who knows what they are talking about regarding fitness training for any selected sport, including basketball, knows that weight training is an essential part of that regimen.

We don't drive Dodge Darts anymore, we have PC's not typewriters, and in a lot of cases, cancer is no longer a death sentence. Enough with your 1970's view of training athletes. Significant progress has been made in this area as well.

Enough already. You're not convincing anyone.

Rubbadub
11-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Dude,

Give it a rest. Anyone who knows what they are talking about regarding fitness training for any selected sport, including basketball, knows that weight training is an essential part of that regimen.

We don't drive Dodge Darts anymore, we have PC's not typewriters, and in a lot of cases, cancer is no longer a death sentence. Enough with your 1970's view of training athletes. Significant progress has been made in this area as well.

Enough already. You're not convincing anyone.

Agreed. I guess I still have to read his messages when he's being quoted even though he's on my ignore list.

cjm720
11-08-2007, 12:29 PM
cjm if you go to http://www.krem.com/video/sports-index.html
you will see a picture of Few & below that a drop down list of about 5-6 short videos from the game including both of Daye's dunks. :)

Thanks!

lothar98zag
11-08-2007, 01:06 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/808455/2/istockphoto_808455_broken_record_with_blank_label. jpg

lothar98zag
11-08-2007, 01:07 PM
I missed all of the first half on the radio because I was wearing my woohoo watch, but I caught most of the 2nd half.

:D nice

lothar98zag
11-08-2007, 01:07 PM
btw, thanks to all the 1st hand reports!

Can't wait for Sunday when I can actually see the team in action.