PDA

View Full Version : Zags vs Pepp Postgame Thoughts & Analysis: WCC Semis

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-12-2019, 02:21 AM
Up early and off to work soon so wanna get this thread rolling:

Highlights of the game for me and related thoughts:
- Six Zags w 10 or more points off 26 assists w 13 turnovers and 11 steals Love the teamwork these guys show and unselfish play. Hopefully the TO's just a bit of rust / being overly generous w the passing
- Tillie for 3! Great seeing him play and play w confidence. Looked to be moving a little quicker than he was when he returned from the ankle surgery. Maybe the additional time off has helped w the ankle / confidence too?
- Norvell has embraced a blue collar, hard hat, tough guy identity for this team..so much more than just a shooter
- Nice seeing Kispert get off to a fasr start but kind of wish he'd stopped shooting late as his form seemed to deteriorate. Looks like he gets so excited to be open and shoot that he hurries it too much...just imo. He had a great game and solid D too
- Glad Jones and Petrusev played so well. Want them confident heading into Dance as one or both may need to come up big for this team to advance

Hope to see Perkins play great tomorrow night. Knock down a few more shots and a few less turnovers

Zagger
03-12-2019, 03:00 AM
Only got to listen to the game online. I loved hearing 'nothing but net' when Killian hit a 3. Once he was 3 for 3 my face hurt from the ear to ear grin! When the Zags are firing on all cylinders and being 9 deep - Wow! The Zags are going to be extremely hard to keep from scoring by SMC .... and anyone else starting next week!

raise the zag
03-12-2019, 05:20 AM
Up early and off to work soon so wanna get this thread rolling:

Highlights of the game for me and related thoughts:
- Six Zags w 10 or more points off 26 assists w 13 turnovers and 11 steals Love the teamwork these guys show and unselfish play. Hopefully the TO's just a bit of rust / being overly generous w the passing
- Tillie for 3! Great seeing him play and play w confidence. Looked to be moving a little quicker than he was when he returned from the ankle surgery. Maybe the additional time off has helped w the ankle / confidence too?
- Norvell has embraced a blue collar, hard hat, tough guy identity for this team..so much more than just a shooter
- Nice seeing Kispert get off to a fasr start but kind of wish he'd stopped shooting late as his form seemed to deteriorate. Looks like he gets so excited to be open and shoot that he hurries it too much...just imo. He had a great game and solid D too
- Glad Jones and Petrusev played so well. Want them confident heading into Dance as one or both may need to come up big for this team to advance

Hope to see Perkins play great tomorrow night. Knock down a few more shots and a few less turnovers

He took a couple of awkward/hard falls, but seemed to bounce back up just fine. Pretty sure I took it worse than he did. *cringe*

Tillie has connected on 16 of his last 17 3pt shots in Vegas. That's unreal!

Jones is now 11-23 3pt this season, what a weapon to have at critical moments -- can defend, slash, hit open 3's, just the perfect piece to plug n play.

I feel its important to keep playing Petrusev -- even with Tillie playing well -- as they are actually very different players doing very different things on the court. Depending on the team we face in the Dance, we may need Petrol down low, establishing position, setting down screens, ready to receive passes, not make them. While Tillie can help spread and see the floor, defend the perimeter, shoot from perimeter, run the floor, etc. They look similar but very different roles.

I sincerely hope the Coaches agree, even come Tourney time. The NBA scouts love his upside, which has been mentioned numerous times from ESPN talking heads to the experts themselves. Just remember how well Petrusev did vs Duke (11 pts), SMC (15 pts), UW (10 pts), & UNC (7 pts), and shot nearly 70% FG in those big games. I'm not sure Tillie could even do that right now unless hitting from outside. Point is, I think we'll need him vs an opponent like FSU, Louisville, Big10 team, etc.

MickMick
03-12-2019, 05:29 AM
There were no surprises.

Zags are on a business trip. They took care of business.

That in itself is a big compliment.

raise the zag
03-12-2019, 05:33 AM
There were no surprises.

Zags are on a business trip. They took care of business.

That in itself is a big compliment.

the one suprise was the 13 TO's -- 10 1st half TO, only 3 2nd half TO. We cleaned it up, yet the couple by Snacks & Perks were particularly disappointing. They both turned over their drives to the middle of the paint, easy defensive plays by Pepp.

That is a bad habit they can get away with in WCC play yet any team past Round 1 will eat for lunch.

tempe85
03-12-2019, 05:39 AM
One thought I'd like to add is that the lineup of Perkins/Norvell/Rui/Clarke/Tillie not only can work but I think it might potentially be our strongest lineup. I had to listen to the game on the radio, but I'm almost positive that our 3 bigs played on the court at the same time for a period and were doing well. For the doubters the thing I would ask them is why shouldn't this lineup work when it is the most NBA type of lineup that we have? Rui will likely be a 3 in the NBA, Clarke a 4 and Tillie a 5. So I really don't understand people's aversion to this. If Tillie was healthy all season that would be our starting 5 imo. Clarke can switch onto guards with almost no issues, Rui is a bit heavy for a 3 at the college level (he's probably going to slim down a bit for the NBA) but not to the degree where he's too slow to guard 3's in college. This lineup has the potential to devestate opponents because there might not be a single team in the country capable of matching up well outside maybe Duke. The thing is we don't even have to try to screen and force a switch to create mismatches, the lineup itself is a missmatch. Teams out there running 3 guards have no chance because they can't punish the Zags on the offensive end since that lineup is atheltic enough to deal with the speed. Meanwhile, they'll have a guard matched up with Rui, which is a recipe for disaster for them.

MickMick
03-12-2019, 06:07 AM
the one suprise was the 13 TO's -- 10 1st half TO, only 3 2nd half TO. We cleaned it up, yet the couple by Snacks & Perks were particularly disappointing. They both turned over their drives to the middle of the paint, easy defensive plays be Pepp.

That is a bad habit they can get away with in WCC play yet any team past Round 1 will eat for lunch.

You are implying that I should be surprised that GU turns it over on the dribble. I am not. It is what they have done all season long. What they did last season as well. Kispert is the worst culprit. Norvell scores enough off the dribble to make his dribble turnovers somewhat tolerable. It is how Florida State walloped them in the tournament last year. How Duke made their furious comeback in Maui this season. Transition points off of turnovers. The Zags biggest hole against tournament level teams.

The difference this year is Clarke. I believe the balance scale tips in their favor when all the individual weights, positive and negative, are added to the current balance scale.

jazzdelmar
03-12-2019, 06:47 AM
One thought I'd like to add is that the lineup of Perkins/Norvell/Rui/Clarke/Tillie not only can work but I think it might potentially be our strongest lineup. I had to listen to the game on the radio, but I'm almost positive that our 3 bigs played on the court at the same time for a period and were doing well. For the doubters the thing I would ask them is why shouldn't this lineup work when it is the most NBA type of lineup that we have? Rui will likely be a 3 in the NBA, Clarke a 4 and Tillie a 5. So I really don't understand people's aversion to this. If Tillie was healthy all season that would be our starting 5 imo. Clarke can switch onto guards with almost no issues, Rui is a bit heavy for a 3 at the college level (he's probably going to slim down a bit for the NBA) but not to the degree where he's too slow to guard 3's in college. This lineup has the potential to devestate opponents because there might not be a single team in the country capable of matching up well outside maybe Duke. The thing is we don't even have to try to screen and force a switch to create mismatches, the lineup itself is a missmatch. Teams out there running 3 guards have no chance because they can't punish the Zags on the offensive end since that lineup is atheltic enough to deal with the speed. Meanwhile, they'll have a guard matched up with Rui, which is a recipe for disaster for them.

Sure looks great on paper, doesn't it? A pro lineup that might be best 5 in the country. Still, it got bollixed up when Few tried it. If Tils were around all year, yes, it might be smooth as silk by now.

raise the zag
03-12-2019, 07:03 AM
it was terrific seeing Tillie, he looked good. His shot was falling, he was plugged in defensively, yet talk about being out of shape. 1 possession run down floor and he was winded. He was often the trailer but a full half-court behind. Just slow going but he'll get his "game feet" back.

scrooner
03-12-2019, 07:10 AM
I'd like to see Kispert limit his 3pt attempts to just catch-and-shoots from a standing position. My eyes tell me that his percentage drops significantly whenever he is moving laterally or needs to dribble beforehand.

jazzdelmar
03-12-2019, 07:24 AM
I'd like to see Kispert limit his 3pt attempts to just catch-and-shoots from a standing position. My eyes tell me that his percentage drops significantly whenever he is moving laterally or needs to dribble beforehand.

Over the past 10 games, CK is shooting 28% from three (10-36).

raise the zag
03-12-2019, 07:36 AM
Over the past 10 games, CK is shooting 28% from three (10-36).

Coach Michaelson talked about his "slump" post game. Said he was happy he 'got it going again'.

I agree, he had much more pepp in his step (pun intended) last night, yet still 2-7 3pt.

He does a lot of things well, and works pretty well as a "ball mover" as Coach Few puts it, yet his 3pt shooting has been woefully down, and don't get me started on his perimeter defense. His one on one post defense is fairly solid, but once a team runs action, cuts the guy down the baseline, or kicks out for a 3....he is toast.

Coach Romar spent 90% of the game trying to isolate Corey over and over again. The team, along with Corey recognized this, and adapted to it quite well, but what about a real team?

Has anyone re-played the UNC game or too painful?

Coach Williams knew our roster, and our tendancies better than we did with a week off. It was their primary game plan to isolate Kispert. Also, any time they had him one on one on perimeter, they pulled the trigger. Literally, every time. Why? Because Corey is the only player who actually "baits" his player to shoot. At least I assume that not putting your hand up an sagging off defender is "baiting". Well, I hope it is, if not....then I have nothing to say. I just assumed he likes to lunge late to players shot attempts.

Corey played better last night, and in turn, we used HIM as "bait". As Pepperdine spent the entire night switching to isolate him, or run alley oops behind him, or get him on perimeter. It didn't really work, as we covered up and helped at the right time knowing what they were evidently trying to pull.

UNC, Tennessee, and even Duke took advantage of him. We have two weaknesses on this team, if you are an opponent, you look to two areas to capitalize on -- offensive rebounding. Crash the boards hard off misses, we do a poor job, save Brandon, of actually boxing out anyone. Rui, to this day, is a leaper rebounder, not a physical one. And Corey Kispert defensively.

Zagsker
03-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Colby Ross has mastered the "jar my head back to try and sell a phantom foul" move...Bush league

MontanaCoyote
03-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Am I over reacting in saying that “letting” Pepperdine put on a 3 ball shooting exhibition (yes, it was in garbage time with starters on the bench) is inexcusable. Probably too strong, but I sure didn’t like it. Just looked like our guys were giving them close to free reign.

Zagsker
03-12-2019, 08:06 AM
Am I over reacting in saying that “letting” Pepperdine put on a 3 ball shooting exhibition (yes, it was in garbage time with starters on the bench) is inexcusable. Probably too strong, but I sure didn’t like it. Just looked like our guys were giving them close to free reign.

Yes

FlyZag
03-12-2019, 08:33 AM

Pepp leads the conference in made 3's. We had our backups in. Not worried 1 bit. When we were focused, when it mattered, Pepp wasn't hitting them.

SorenTodd45
03-12-2019, 08:42 AM
When Killian fell, it looked like he landed right on his rear end. I'm sure his pride hurt more than his butt!

CDC84
03-12-2019, 09:11 AM
I know this sounds like I am nitpicking, but despite last night's blow out of Pepperdine, GU allowed them to score 74 points, shoot 45% from the floor, and 38% from three ball land (9/24). And yes, I know a good hunk of that happened once the game got totally out of hand and Few was forced to put the bench in. But still, I'd really like to see the Zags end the WCC tourney with a top 20 adjusted defensive efficiency at kenpom.com.

Reborn
03-12-2019, 11:17 AM
An excellent game by our Zags. Very entertaining, as so many games this year have been. Once again we were able to see exquisite passing. OMG these kids can pass that ball. There were so many assists. Probably a game high for assists this year. The team had 26 assists. Everyone played great. Kispert was really hitting those 3's, until the end of the game. He played a great game in my opinion. We have seen a number of games like this one over the season. Yet it was great to see it in the Conference Tournament because so many teams had been upset this year in the tournament. The Zags almost shot 60% for the game, may have also been a season high for shooting accuracy.

The Zags could have won this game 110 to 53 if Few had wanted to. The Zags were up 80 to 40 with ten minutes to go in the game. Few began to sub into his reserves at minutes left in the game and the Zags had doubled the score of Pepperdine. Pepperdine hit six 3's in the last four minutes of the game when our subs were in and really not guarding them. We've seen them do this before and I know Few was not happy and will address it today.

This is a great team who does not need a scapegoat. I ask those of you who want to make Kispert some kind of a scapegoat to please try to change your thinking. IMO he does a lot for this team. And he has proven his worth in being a starter....IN MY OPINION.

One thing I really liked, and that was when Dick Vitale said he's picking Gonzaga to win it all. It was really great to hear him praise the Zags all night long.

Good luck tonight to all Zags. I'm really looking forward to watching it.

Go Zags!!!

tempe85
03-12-2019, 11:46 AM

I would say a bit of an overreaction, but the truth is if the backups want to come in and play that poorly they at least need to know that they are being evaluated even in garbage time and if they are going to allow tons of open 3's they'll never get important minutes. I think everyone on the court was a scholarship player during Pepp's big run of 3's.

ZAG 4 LIFE
03-12-2019, 11:49 AM

With a massive lead, Few was having the guys work on a 2-3 zone, in case they need to
Use it in March/April... they weren’t very good at it, which is to be expected since they almost never
Play zone... factor in the bench guys and the huge margin on the scoreboard and it is what it is.

kdaleb
03-12-2019, 02:07 PM
With a massive lead, Few was having the guys work on a 2-3 zone, in case they need to
Use it in March/April... they weren’t very good at it, which is to be expected since they almost never
Play zone... factor in the bench guys and the huge margin on the scoreboard and it is what it is.

Also - the Pep guys were playing loose at that point and just letting them fly. Part of it was our defense, but I felt like a huge part was them feeling confident once a couple went in and they just started chucking it outside of their normal offense.