PDA

View Full Version : TSN All American Teams: Hachimura first team, Clarke third team

CDC84
03-11-2019, 09:39 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/sporting-news-2018-19-college-basketball-all-americans/iiljzskqnbtt1g4c298897sra

Please note that a PANEL votes on this. Not the one person who authored the article.

First team: Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga, PF, Jr.
Key stats: 20.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 61.3 FG pct
Defining game: 26 points, 7 rebounds, 40 minutes, 8-of-8 free throw shooting in 81-79 victory vs. Washington

Overview: One of college basketball’s most versatile forwards, Hachimura is a nightmare matchup for opponents because of his ability to attack off the bounce and the ever-present threat of his perimeter touch. He attempted only 30 3-point shots during the regular season, but he made nearly 47 percent. He converted nearly two thirds of this 2-point attempts and earned 186 free throws. He also could be a prolific rebounder when necessary. In the Zags’ statement win against Duke in the Maui Invitational championship, he scored 20, passed for five assists and recorded three blocks.

Third team: Brandon Clarke, C, Gonzaga, Jr.
Key stats: 16.6 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 3.2 bpg, 68.8 pct FG
Defining game: 27 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks in 103-92 victory at Creighton

Overview: Why is a player who has had Clarke’s incredible season not ranked higher on this list? It is partly because he was not well known coming into the season, having transferred from San Jose State with little expectation. It is partly because his dominance against the West Coast Conference is part of Gonzaga’s overwhelming stampede through the West Coast Conference — which honestly hasn’t compelled a lot of observers to tune in to watch the Zags win by 30. Again. But Clarke might be the closest player to Kenyon Martin we’ve seen since the original; like K-Mart, Clarke is blessed with an astonishingly quick and high second jump, which feeds into his shot-blocking prowess (eight games with five or more blocks) and his gift for turning offensive rebounds into second-chance points.

raise the zag
03-11-2019, 09:42 AM
Please note that a PANEL votes on this. Not the one person who authored the article.

I'm still confused.

Is this TSN's/Decourcy's selections or the official AP AA teams?

Either way, congrats to both!

Only 3 teams have more than 1 player on these teams: Gonzaga, Virginia, & Duke.

Reborn
03-11-2019, 09:55 AM
A few guys who are not on the list who are certainly deserving. Guy from Virginia. He is certainly a premier 3 point shooter for Virginia. Washington from Kentucky and the shooting guard for Kentucky (sorry I don't know his name), and the Admiral from Tennessee..

raise the zag
03-11-2019, 09:57 AM
A few guys who are not on the list who are certainly deserving. Guy from Virginia. He is certainly a premier 3 point shooter for Virginia. Washington from Kentucky and the shooting guard for Kentucky (sorry I don't know his name), and the Admiral from Tennessee..

Not sure which linked you clicked on, yet both Guy and Washington are listed.

Reborn
03-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Sorry about that. My bad. What is the matter with me anyway? Maybe I'd rank them higher. I'd certainly have Washington on my first team, and probably Guy on 2nd team.

webspinnre
03-11-2019, 10:05 AM
I'm still confused.

This is the TSN awards, not Decourcy specifically, not and the AP.

CDC84
03-11-2019, 01:16 PM
I'm still confused.

These are not Mike's picks, but as webspinnre says, he is on a panel of guys who choose the All American teams. TSN actually has several college basketball writers. Mike just wrote the article about the players. He's just one vote, although I know he argued strongly for Clarke's inclusion.