PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favorite player on THIS Gonzaga team? Why!

Reborn
03-11-2019, 08:16 AM
It's finally time for the Zags to play in the Conference Tournament. It seems like forever since we've seen them play. I'm so excited. To help the day pass quickly, and in some sense of peace, I'll plan on spending a part of my day here on GUBoards reading some really good threads. Like this one. I'm excited to read what you all think.

My favorite player is Rui Hachimura. I love how he plays the game. He is poetry in motion. I love how he dribbles the ball down court. When he runs down court with the ball in his hand, he flows like a dear. He's 6' 8: and plays with the skills of a guard. He has the prettiest jump shot on the team. He jumps high before he shoots, and releases the ball with a perfect grip that creates a perfect arc to the basket. The ball spins round and round and flies to the hoop like a flying saucer that knows it's destination. I love to watch him jump, both when rebounding and when he dunks the ball. He has the skill of a kangaroo. And finally, I really appreciate how he has improved defensively. He has worked really hard to become a good defender on a team where every player must be able to guard every player on the opposing team: guards, forwards and centers.

When I first saw him play, at the international FIBA 18 and under tournament, I fell in love with him. I dreamed that one day I'd say him playing on a Gonzaga team like the one we have now. I dreamed of seeing him as the star of that team. I remember how he was the star of that Japanese team he played on, but my thoughts would float into imagining him in a Zag uniform with teammates who could win a National Tournament. Could this be the team I was imagining him playing on?

Good luck Rui! You can do it.

Go Zags!!!

SorenTodd45
03-11-2019, 08:26 AM
For this year's team, it would have to be Brandon. Every night, he gives 110%. Whenever he blocks a shot, I bolt out of my viewing chair, and yell "CLARKE BAY-BEE"! I pray he stays for his senior year; he is only projected to be a 2nd round pick.

gonzagafan62
03-11-2019, 08:39 AM
BC. Nuff said

Zagceo
03-11-2019, 08:51 AM
https://a1.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2019%2F0301%2Fr508451_1296x729_16 %2D9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40&format=jpg

Reborn
03-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Thanks for this great picture of Rui.

Go Zags!!!

amaronizag
03-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Asking who is your favorite player is kind of like asking which is your favorite child. I love watching Perkins orchestrate the game and Geno in someones face on defense. Watching Snacks shoot daggers from 3 at clutch time has a real thrill factor for me. I love watching Rui take it to the hoop with power and he is totally locked in from inside 15 feet. But I have to admit, the smile on my face lasts longest when Clarke slams an allyoop.

FlyZag
03-11-2019, 09:00 AM
Coach Few.

None of this happens without him.

Bocco
03-11-2019, 09:02 AM
lAs soon as I figure out my favorite sibling, child, grandchild I post my favorite player. Usually it is whoever made the last basket, steal, assist, blocked shot, rebound. Who's my favorite just isn't a question I ever ask.

willandi
03-11-2019, 09:10 AM
My favorite player is Josh 'Snacks" Hashiclarke.

katman50
03-11-2019, 09:17 AM
Love them all! This morning gotta go with Norvell. When he is hitting his 3 ball itís daggers!

zaguarxj
03-11-2019, 09:23 AM
My Frankenzag has the intelligence of Perkins, the charisma of Rui, the explosiveness of Clarke and the swagger of ZN.

WenatcheeZag
03-11-2019, 09:50 AM

Well Played! +1

LongIslandZagFan
03-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Yeah... I really like that guy too.

ZagNative
03-11-2019, 02:07 PM
On the court, BC has to be my favorite. As a personality, Snacks gets my vote. He's a great interview subject.

maynard g krebs
03-11-2019, 02:21 PM
I'll go with the all time winningest pg in cbb history.

hockeyzag
03-11-2019, 02:25 PM
On the court, BC has to be my favorite. As a personality, Snacks gets my vote. He's a great interview subject.

I've noticed that lately too, Snacks answers interview questions so well. The others often give somewhat dry, short answers (especially BC) but Norvell's answers give you much more insight into the program.

Favorite player for the year has got to be Clarke, with Rui and Snacks a close 2nd and 3rd. Clarke's game is electrifying, easily the most athletic player we've ever had at GU.

TexasZagFan
03-11-2019, 02:41 PM
My Frankenzag has the intelligence of Perkins, the charisma of Rui, the explosiveness of Clarke and the swagger of ZN.

Since you left out Corey, I think he's got a lot of heart. Shortly after this picture was taken, Corey gave Big D about 30 minutes of instruction, punctuated by hoisting him on his shoulders for Big D's first dunk in the Kennel.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1778_zpseucqfifi.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1778_zpseucqfifi.jpg.html)

Corky
03-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Rui. I love the smile.

TexasZagFan
03-11-2019, 02:47 PM
lAs soon as I figure out my favorite sibling, child, grandchild I post my favorite player. Usually it is whoever made the last basket, steal, assist, blocked shot, rebound. Who's my favorite just isn't a question I ever ask.

Closest I can get is my favorite grandchild:

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1716_zps63khe5np.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1716_zps63khe5np.jpg.html)

Big D, GU Recruiting Class of 2029.

Here he is being welcomed into the "family" by a member of the Class of 2016:

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1768_zpsobjgqpcn.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1768_zpsobjgqpcn.jpg.html)

:lmao:

TexasZagFan
03-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Rui. I love the smile.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1820_zpsdsuagrfq.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1820_zpsdsuagrfq.jpg.html)

Rui's going to make millions with that smile. From what I saw, he really enjoys being around the kids.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Jeremy Jones. Has anybody else ever given up a full scholarship at another great university to walk on at Gonzaga just to be a part of the Zag experience?

His heart, leadership, and court awareness rival the greatest players in the history of the program.

TexasZagFan
03-11-2019, 04:10 PM
A bit O/T, but ESPN's been showing a nice segment about Rui on Sportscenter today.

It struck a chord with me when Rui was asked, "why Gonzaga?" He said he felt so comfortable during his first visit, a sentiment most of us can relate to.

Personally, I think his upside is higher than Zion, unless Zion drops about 30 pounds. The stress on his body of 80-100 game NBA seasons will be amplified by the weight he carries.

DixieZag
03-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Jeremy Jones. Has anybody else ever given up a full scholarship at another great university to walk on at Gonzaga just to be a part of the Zag experience?

His heart, leadership, and court awareness rival the greatest players in the history of the program.

If he helps get the Zags to a Final Four - not even need a NC, just if he helps get the Zags to the FF, there better be a 30 for 30 made about that, and someone needs to just make a real movie about it.

I've got the perfect person to play the lead, Jeremy Jones. He seems to be able to do whatever else he sets his mind to.

I don't have a "favorite" player, but seeing Josh play with so much joy and confidence this year is to me the most heart-warming personal player story. Hearing him talk about executing what the coaches want, staying positive (like the coaches) he just became the next "coach on the floor" the latest in a long line.

Reborn
03-11-2019, 05:28 PM
To all of you have shared, thanks for sharing. I have enjoyed reading your posts.

gu03alum
03-11-2019, 07:37 PM
We have arguments in my house about our guys.

I love Rui. His offensive skills are off the charts. I know that when we need a bucket he’s going to deliver. I know when we are playing a tough team he’s going to get us buckets when we need it. I love his passion for the game. I love his story.

My wife loves Brandon. She acts like she discovered him. She loves that he is always in control, but is also always the most athletic guy out there too. She loves how hard he’s worked to improve his free throw shooting. She loves how unselfish he is.

My daughter loves Snacks. It probably started with the nickname, but she loves his confidence and swagger. She loves that he backs up that confidence with made baskets.

zag67
03-11-2019, 08:54 PM
I THINK that my favorite would be a full name of:

Joshua Zach Rui Clark.

CDC84
03-11-2019, 09:17 PM
Snacks. I just love his on court demeanor and his guts to take the big shot. I also love how much he has improved as a defender this year. He was awful last year. Now he takes on the other team's toughest wing scorer.

Malastein
03-11-2019, 11:31 PM
Snacks. I just love his on court demeanor and his guts to take the big shot. I also love how much he has improved as a defender this year. He was awful last year. Now he takes on the other team's toughest wing scorer.

He’s also stopped taking all those early offense threes that brought his percentages down quite a bit...

Zagger
03-11-2019, 11:40 PM
Today = Tillie, as heís back!
Tomorrow = Norvell, cuz heís one determined Mr. Clutch!
Next day = Josh .... Gosh! Look at all those assists!
Day after that = BC! Blocks & one heck of a motor! Best transfer ever from not well known to sure gonna be well known!
Another next day = Rui! Whatís not to get all warm & fuzzy about Rui and what GU can do for a kid from afar (or near).
Pick a day = Corey, Mr. Hard Nosed Blue Collar. He has a knack of being ready when ready is needed.
Weekenders = Jones, Geno & Filip! I honestly do not know what the Zags would do without these 3. They are the supporting cast without who the Zags are not the #1 team in the USA!

tempe85
03-12-2019, 05:50 AM
This is a tough choice. So many likeable players, and honestly really no one I don't like. Everyone has a roll on the team and they check their egos at the door. Crandall was a star with North Dakota and was the focal point of that team's offense. He comes to Gonzaga and not only is on the bench, but he's like our 6th option. The guy could have sulked and had a poor attitude and it I don't think people would have blamed him. Instead, Crandall is the epitomy of a teammate. Since he can't be the offensive star he used to be he's focused on the part of his game that he can control, which is being a floor general for the second unit and playing great defense. That's why he's my second choice.

My first choice is Clarke because he's unbelievable. I love guys that are defensive stars because it's an underappreciated part of player's games these days. Every time he makes a crazy spin move on offense I get excited.

Birddog
03-12-2019, 06:08 AM
Incredibly tough question to answer but I vote for Snacks, because three balanced meals isn't enough.

titopoet
03-12-2019, 08:21 AM
I think looking for a favorite player would distract me from the real beauty of this team.

They all make each other better.

When Snacks took three during the decisive run against the Waves, and he missed it. BC got the offensive rebound, gathered himself then instead of going up against a smaller defender, he hit a cutting Snacks for an uncontested layup. Two things about the play that is defining for these Zags. First, Bc could have overpowered his man for a score, but he chose to look for a cutting Snacks for an easy shot. Second, Snacks cut to basket knowing his guy was going to share the ball.
BC makes Rui Better. Rui makes BC better. They both make Perkins play better, who then, in turn, leads them to better plays. Snacks have increased his assists and have become a better play maker. Cory does all the dirty work, while Crandall and Jones proved great energy off the bench.

It is clear they play for each other and makes each other better. It is also clear they are out for something more the individual glory but are focused on being a great TEAM and to win it all!

NotoriousZ
03-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Asking who is your favorite player is kind of like asking which is your favorite child. I love watching Perkins orchestrate the game and Geno in someones face on defense. Watching Snacks shoot daggers from 3 at clutch time has a real thrill factor for me. I love watching Rui take it to the hoop with power and he is totally locked in from inside 15 feet. But I have to admit, the smile on my face lasts longest when Clarke slams an allyoop.

This just about sums it up for me. My favorite players typically play great defense and are good natured off the court. Previous favs for me off the top of my head were Errol Knight, Silas Melson, and Gary Bell Jr.

But Ammo is also on that list (an outlier with the poor defense and off putting demeanor—at least while he was in school).

FuManShoes
03-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Brandon Clarke. It's a combination of his incredible athleticism and efficiency, his motor, and maybe most of all the backstory - here's yet another player who transferred to GU for a chance to contribute to a winner and bided his time, remade his shot, and emerged a force like none we've had before at GU. And he's not getting nearly enough love from pundits so I think we owe it to him.

MickMick
03-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Clarke, Morrison, Mike Hart, and Goss are my favorite Zags of all time. Favorites to watch as a fan that is. You might throw Pendo in there as well. They get me out of my seat with fist pumps.

Clarke is the only one from that list currently playing.

CDC84
03-12-2019, 12:05 PM
He’s also stopped taking all those early offense threes that brought his percentages down quite a bit...

Definitely. Shot selection is a key thing that all elite high school scorers need to be taught once they get to the college level. The early threes are most often not the best threes. Your feet are not set. You have little time to size up the shot. Plus, you don't give the team enough time to work the ball around for the best shot possible, which might be an open three with the shooter in rhythm. Also, as we all know, bad, quick shots almost always lead to fast break baskets for the other team. As Jay Bilas always says, "It's God's way of punishing you for taking a bad shot."

I think if Zach keeps improving at this rate, he's going to be a NBA guy. He has good NBA size for a 2 guard, and while he might not have the jawdropping leaping ability that the scouts usually dig, he is so strong and powerful around the rim and finishes at an elite level. That put back to the finish the 1st half against Pepperdine was pretty special, but it's stuff like that incredible reverse layup that broke Duke's ankles in Maui that helps a 6-5 guard evade big men with length. The one area where Zach does possess elite athleticism is on the break. I am not sure if there has been a perimeter in Mark Few's tenure who can finish with such speed off a pass on the fast break as Snacks. Want to see an example? Go to the St. Mary's game in Moraga, 2nd half. I forget the time, but Clarke threw a beautiful 50 foot bullet pass to Snacks that was an "anticipation pass" like a quarterback throws in football. Out of nowhere Zach just flew by the SMC defenders to catch the pass right at the rim for the layup. I thought he wasn't going to be able to get the shot off before going out of bounds, but he did. It was simply awesome. One of the best GU plays of the year.

bartruff1
03-12-2019, 01:32 PM
I have a sense of how difficult it is to be a student and a Gonzaga Basketball player....not because I was one, but because I roomed with a couple of them....so my favorite player is the one the thoughtless people in here are currently criticizing ….