PDA

View Full Version : Why BYU lost and what about us?

Section 116
03-10-2019, 04:46 PM
BYU Coach Dave Rose offered up this for the USD smackdown of the Cougars:

“The fact you don’t shoot in the gym you’re playing in when it’s all on the line, the whole season what everyone wants to do is make the NCAA Tournament, and everyone’s got a chance, and you come to the arena you’re going to play in and you don’t shoot and then you’re playing in the second game and you have 20 minutes to warm up?” Rose said. “Someone’s got to re-evaluate this. There’s too much on the line.”

Link: https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/vegasmadness/pepperdine-san-diego-reach-wcc-mens-tournament-semifinals-video-1614863/

Section 116
03-10-2019, 04:55 PM
NEC26, An excuse, my thought as well. I thought it interesting Rose went there!

former1dog
03-10-2019, 05:00 PM
NEC26, my thought as well. I thought it interesting Rose went there!

If I'm the BYU AD, I think this brings Rose closer to the door. You get your doors blown off and its because you don't get a shootaround? Really? C'mon man!

NEC26
03-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine saying that to anyone. Uhhh yeah, our guys just couldn't find the range in this gym. REALLY?!? I mean cmon. That is pretty lame.

CdAZagFan
03-10-2019, 05:18 PM
I actually have never heard that before - and do think it's a little strange that teams can't come in early and get a shoot-around in. They do that at all the NCAA tourney games. However, it seems strange that BYU has been doing this in Vegas for how many years now? And he is just bringing this up when they get beat by 30+? That is a little weird.

DixieZag
03-10-2019, 05:36 PM
Wow. That is really weak.

KInd of a huge "diss" to USD, too. Couldn't be bc they played really well, had to be bc they didn't have a shoot around.

gonzagafan62
03-10-2019, 05:36 PM
That’s the difference from a winner, and a loser. Excuses

ZionZag
03-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Let's start playing on Sundays next year...……….Geezz!

sittingon50
03-10-2019, 06:13 PM
Damn high school gyms with no fans.

Really effects those lay-ups that your guys were shooting off the wrong foot!!

I just lost a lot of respect for that guy. Take your perennial 3rd place team and get in the Big Sky.

You've played in the same gym with the same background for umpteen years with the same guys, ages 23-29. Give me an effing break!!

As they say on the Zag Board "it's imbarassing."

(sorry guys, nothing but excuses from the fan base & now the coach for all these years. That's the straw that broke my back {pending an MRI}).

willandi
03-10-2019, 06:17 PM
There are 30 minutes between games, and the players are in the tunnel ready to get on the floor.
If he had to take them back to the locker room, that's on him...and USD had ALL the same time frame as BYU.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-10-2019, 06:25 PM
I would think his players have learned to play in any Stake gym anywhere anytime. It’s just basketball

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2019, 06:27 PM

“The fact you don’t shoot in the gym you’re playing in when it’s all on the line, the whole season what everyone wants to do is make the NCAA Tournament, and everyone’s got a chance, and you come to the arena you’re going to play in and you don’t shoot and then you’re playing in the second game and you have 20 minutes to warm up?” Rose said. “Someone’s got to re-evaluate this. There’s too much on the line.”

Link: https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/vegasmadness/pepperdine-san-diego-reach-wcc-mens-tournament-semifinals-video-1614863/

Isn't that basically every road/neutral site game? Wow. Lame.

Real reason BYU lost... Pinero and company just wanted it more.

bdmiller7
03-10-2019, 06:47 PM
I would think the team playing a third straight elimination game would be at a disadvantage due to fatigue. If I was Rose I would try to finish last next year, then they should win the auto bid because they can start playing on Thursday.

thespywhozaggedme
03-10-2019, 06:53 PM

Didn't USD have the exact same set of circumstances?

Mantua
03-10-2019, 07:08 PM
Thanks for posting, Section 116. It was another good laugh, like when I watched the game.

Was anyone actually shocked when USD beat BYU? I was thrilled to see them in the same bracket.

ZagzKrak
03-10-2019, 07:10 PM
Ok then let's let the #1 seed host the games then. :cheers:

GU69
03-10-2019, 07:11 PM
If I was Rose I would try to finish last next year, then they should win the auto bid because they can start playing on Thursday.

Yup. That should take care of the problem.

Malastein
03-10-2019, 07:30 PM
I doubt he’ll be publicly fired, but a behind doors forced resignation could be in the works!

cscz28
03-10-2019, 07:38 PM
A little off topic but Isaiah Pineiro has got to be one of my favorite non zag players in a long time. He is a gamer, I hope he does well playing professionally somewhere.

Zagsker
03-10-2019, 08:05 PM
He forgot to Norman Dale his team

sittingon50
03-10-2019, 08:21 PM
He forgot to Norman Dale his team

He forgot he didn't have Jimmer suited up.

Edit: Excuse me, I meant Jimmy. Jimmy Chitwood.

kitzbuel
03-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Pepp is shooting ove 50% from three in the tournament. What would they be shooting in a gym that they are comfortable in?

TheZagPhish
03-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Pinero and company just wanted it more.

Just see the 50-50 balls.

zagamatic
03-10-2019, 09:15 PM
Um, all I ever got in high school road trip games was warmups right before tip and we won plenty of those so.............

krozman
03-10-2019, 09:47 PM
I compete in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournaments at 41 years of age. When I go and there are no warm up mats available, I don't go out cold. I use my big boy brain and I get my shoes on and run around the building 10x, or jumping jacks, or any number of things I can do to get my body ready. I'm not saying i'm smarter than the BYU coach, but if warming up is your excuse, then maybe you should think of another one when you're applying for your next coaching position.

CDC84
03-11-2019, 12:48 AM
All I have to say to Rose is this: "This is nearly how every other league does it. The Pac-12 plays their games in Vegas. The Big East in MSG. And there are some leagues where the team who hosts the tourney is the regular season champ. Would you like to play your league tourney games at Gonzaga?"

He sounds like a coach who is about to get fired.

Outraged
03-11-2019, 02:13 AM
He is complaining about the format where lesser teams play in and get into rythem and that they have become accustomed to the facilities and then the higher seed teams come in cold. There may be a little merit to that. They also get confidence after winning two games. This format is different from prior years. But in this case I think USD is the better team. Probably the 2nd best team that is now healthy and they came in with a game Plan and executed. They were out of step and did not play team ball. If they slowed it way down on their end in the first half maybe they would not have such a big mountain to climb starting the second half. They have looked very fragile this year. Psychologically weak compared to their prior teams. USF is another story.

CDC84
03-11-2019, 03:36 AM
He is complaining about the format where lesser teams play in and get into rythem and that they have become accustomed to the facilities and then the higher seed teams come in cold. There may be a little merit to that. They also get confidence after winning two games. This format is different from prior years. But in this case I think USD is the better team. Probably the 2nd best team that is now healthy and they came in with a game Plan and executed. They were out of step and did not play team ball. If they slowed it way down on their end in the first half maybe they would not have such a big mountain to climb starting the second half. They have looked very fragile this year. Psychologically weak compared to their prior teams. USF is another story.

It's interesting because in Few's most recent interview with Andy Katz, Few said that while it is a major advantage to have time off to rest up, heal, work on yourself, there is something about playing games and being used to playing games in the tourney and how that is an advantage. Few admitted that a number of his teams didn't play well in their first games at the WCC tourney. But what are you going to do?? Gonzaga has the huge layoff between the end of the WCC's and the NCAA tournament, and yet Few has only lost 3 first round games in his career, and all 3 of them have happened under controversial circumstances. The Orleans Arena floor isn't really a floor that teams are unfamiliar with because the teams play on the floor every single year. I don't get that argument. I could understand the argument if the WCC kept rotating sites. But a team like BYU plays at the Kennel once per year, and they play at the Orleans Arena once per year at a minimum.

mgadfly
03-11-2019, 08:02 AM
I think what Rose (and Few) is saying is that there is a big difference between having part of your team shoot at the facility 12 months ago, and having your entire team play at the location the night before. They are right. That’s not why BYU was down 40 or whatever, but it is an advantage.

irishzag_09
03-11-2019, 08:05 AM
Before I start my thoughts, I am in now way agreeing with Dave Rose. He took the cowards way out. As previous posters have stated, if you know your team needs to "Get Up" or "Stay Hungry" or Motivated in any form or fashion, you figure this problem out and you do the best thing your brain comes up with. Merely voicing your frustration and pointing the blame to not getting a shoot around on the court beforehand is saying there is only one solution to a problem. Do better. Saying this, for next year, he can continue to voice his concern with the WCC and maybe he can get his way. What he is saying at the NCAA tournament level...even most power conference tournaments, teams do have shootarounds the day before their game in the gym for a couple of hours to get a feel. Understood. The logistical problem is that the WCC and other non-power five schools separate their men's and women's conference tournament weekends. The WCC does not, and when he wants to have his shootaround, the women's games are going on. That is his issue, but the WCC isn't going to separate the women's tournament from the men's because having the fans their for both tournaments increases the fans attending the women's games. Sorry Dave, come up with Plan B, have the WCC provide you with a sample of the balls they are using for the tournament and go warm up in the nearby high school or university gym. From my years of playing BB growing up, the numerous basketballs and how tacky or non-tacky or how much air in the ball was harder to overcome than the floor conditions or the rim height (much less to none in variance)...and all the excuses you can come up with, means you could of used that time to develop a winning gameplan rather than complaining about it. Next time you have 10 fresh bodies ready to go, maybe full court press that team that's playing their third straight game in three days to wear them down....just saying.

FuManShoes
03-11-2019, 08:11 AM
So he's mad that a shot at a one-and-done tournament played in unfamiliar arenas with minimal shoot around time is decided by a one-and-done tournament played in unfamiliar arenas with minimal shoot around time? Got it.

gueastcoast
03-11-2019, 08:17 AM
So he's mad that a shot at a one-and-done tournament played in unfamiliar arenas with minimal shoot around time is decided by a one-and-done tournament played in unfamiliar arenas with minimal shoot around time? Got it.

I think this may have won the internet today. Nicely done :cheers:

JPtheBeasta
03-11-2019, 08:19 AM
At least he didn’t complain about being off on Sunday.

ETA: although I didn’t see any discussion about his quote in particular on the BYU board I checked out, there was a lot of talk about him phoning it in the last several years. Someone speculated that they will keep him around so he has the chance to beat the all-time BYU coaching wins record. One person was still upset about losing to WCC teams :)

zaguarxj
03-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Defense travels. Teams that rely on shooting are always vulnerable in single-elimination tournaments.

hooter73
03-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Dont have to wonder where the fans get it I guess...

Im pretty tired of BYU altogether at this point. They came in with an air of superiority, thinking they were just going to run rampant year after year in the lowly WCC, instead they cant do crap and whine and complain with excuses, blah blah blah... Im just over it. Would much rather support USD or San Fran than them.

tinfoilzag
03-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Coach: Buddy. Hold this under the backboard. What is it?
Buddy: 15 feet.
Coach: 15 feet. Strap, put Ollie on your shoulders. Measure this from the rim Buddy. How far?
Buddy: Ten feet.
Coach: Ten feet. I think you'll find this is the exact same measurements as our gym in Hickory. OK, let's get dressed for practice.

bartruff1
03-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Piling on is always ugly....

zagdontzig
03-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Dont have to wonder where the fans get it I guess...

Im pretty tired of BYU altogether at this point. They came in with an air of superiority, thinking they were just going to run rampant year after year in the lowly WCC, instead they cant do crap and whine and complain with excuses, blah blah blah... Im just over it. Would much rather support USD or San Fran than them.

I think BYU's WCC complaining is very reasonable. Nachos are a staple of sustained basketball success. It should also be noted that they have the biggest arena and their fans *get this* attend games in away arenas.

You think I'm joking, but those are arguments literally offered as the bases for why BYU deserves a better conference.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=21389446

maynard g krebs
03-11-2019, 02:34 PM
My only problem with Dave Rose is that he looks exactly like Alvin from The Chipmunks. That and the dirty play.

NEC26
03-11-2019, 02:50 PM
Coach: Buddy. Hold this under the backboard. What is it?
Buddy: 15 feet.
Coach: 15 feet. Strap, put Ollie on your shoulders. Measure this from the rim Buddy. How far?
Buddy: Ten feet.
Coach: Ten feet. I think you'll find this is the exact same measurements as our gym in Hickory. OK, let's get dressed for practice.

This is exactly what i was thinking of when I was reading his excuses.

TexasZagFan
03-11-2019, 02:54 PM
I think BYU's WCC complaining is very reasonable. Nachos are a staple of sustained basketball success. It should also be noted that they have the biggest arena and their fans *get this* attend games in away arenas.

You think I'm joking, but those are arguments literally offered as the bases for why BYU deserves a better conference.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=21389446

BYU fans deserve a forum, too...the one in use might have originated with Brigham Young himself.

TexasZagFan
03-11-2019, 02:56 PM

As it pertains to the WCC, perhaps he'd be happier if his team ended up in the bottom third of the conference, so they'd be playing on Thursday and/or Friday.

CDC84
03-11-2019, 02:58 PM
:) :(

http://www.sumnernewscow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Wheat-Festival-crybaby.jpg

CDC84
03-11-2019, 02:59 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/qsfo3.jpg

TexasZagFan
03-11-2019, 03:02 PM
What about the rumor that JaRule is donating the millions he made on the Fyre Festival for the naming rights on their basketball arena?

sittingon50
03-11-2019, 03:29 PM
What about the rumor that JaRule is donating the millions he made on the Fyre Festival for the naming rights on their basketball arena?

And I have absolutely no idea what any of that means!

:roll:

TexasZagFan
03-11-2019, 03:44 PM
And I have absolutely no idea what any of that means!

:roll:

LOL, if you have Netflix, check out their documentary on the Fyre Festival, which separated mostly rich Millenials from tens of millions of dollars, and landed the main organizer in prison for 6 years.

These same people IMO would agree with Steph Curry that the moon landings were a hoax.

sittingon50
03-11-2019, 08:22 PM
That background was AWFUL!!

Zag's only get to 59.7%

Something has to be done.

kitzbuel
03-11-2019, 09:15 PM
BYU fans deserve a forum, too...the one in use might have originated with Brigham Young himself.Actually, once I figured out how to use the filters it isn't too bad to read.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk