PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs St. Mary's Post Game thoughts and analysis

Reborn
03-02-2019, 10:38 PM
Gonzaga 69
St Marys 55

The game wasn't this close. Zags really let up in last two minutes. They really did play awesome defense the 2nd half and St Mary's really shouldn't have scored 50. Zags totally shut them down the 2nd half. St Mary's was stuck on 45 for most of the second half but scored ten points in the last couple of minutes.

That being said it was a pretty horrible game again for our shooting guards (Norvell, Perkins and Kispert) who shot 0-9. We shot 2-14 as a team from behind the 3 point line. Worst shooting night I've ever seen from a Gonzaga team. Thank God Gonzaga has a couple of the best front court players in the country. I really believe Rui could have gotten 40 points easily if Norvell would have quit shooting 3's. I really don't enjoy our offense when he shoots and shoots 3's even when he's off. And honestly Kispert is not much better. And yet I totally enjoy watching Rui and Clark, and honestly tonight Perkins had a really good game outside of his 3 point shooting. He scored nineteen. The Zags did shoot 53% for the game and 11-12 from the foul line. Josh led the team in scoring with 19, Rui followed with 17 and Clarke had 15.

It was great to see the awesome defense. The Zags are now finally in the top 20 on defense on Kenpom. I think they went from 24 to 14. And they were tough tonight in the second half. Good for them.

Go Zags!!!

katman50
03-02-2019, 10:55 PM
Great game. I thought our boys would have a tougher time, but they tightened things up in the second half. Next stop, Vegas.

CDC84
03-02-2019, 11:03 PM
5th time that Few has swept the league since he became the head coach. I don't care what any BCS Homer says, it's not an easy thing to do. Saint Mary's had a TON to play for tonight. Road games are never easy.

While I understand the need to be very careful with Tillie, it sure would be nice to get him some run during the WCC tourney.

I want to see Geno convert on one of those dunks!

I swear, when the Zags went on that 17-0 tear (or whatever it is) in the 2nd half, and couple of the fast breaks displayed a level of athleticism that this program has never come close to displaying for. Norvell, in particular, is electric when finishing on the break.

This is a great time for the Zags to rest up and work on themselves. I know some people don't like the big layoffs, but over the years I have grown to see the advantage of them.

Hoopaholic
03-02-2019, 11:06 PM
5th time that Few has swept the league since he became the head coach. I don't care what any BCS Homer says, it's not an easy thing to do. Saint Mary's had a TON to play for tonight. Road games are never easy.

While I understand the need to be very careful with Tillie, it sure would be nice to get him some run during the WCC tourney.

I want to see Geno convert on one of those dunks!

I swear, when the Zags went on that 17-0 tear (or whatever it is) in the 2nd half, and couple of the fast breaks displayed a level of athleticism that this program has never come close to displaying for. Norvell, in particular, is electric when finishing on the break.

This is a great time for the Zags to rest up and work on themselves. I know some people don't like the big layoffs, but over the years I have grown to see the advantage of them.

My guess is tille gets 10 minutes or so in semifinal game to test foot

23dpg
03-02-2019, 11:07 PM
This is a cool stat, Gonzaga trailed in the second half in just two games all conference season for a total of 42 seconds.

MickMick
03-02-2019, 11:12 PM
The depth and athleticism was just too much for the Gaels.

I don't really care for the Gaels' new offensive philosophy.

Once upon a time, Mathew Dellavedova had the "pick n roll" down to a science and they had so many variations off of it. It really was a thing of beauty to watch. Watching Sacre hedge against that offense was awesome basketball.

The iso dribble drive offense they run now looks like something Calapari would run....with burger boys. I have no idea what the hell Bennett is doing down there. They do pull off some trick shots once in awhile, but it isn't sustainable. You can't consistently hang your hat on it. I don't think they have the horses to pull it off.

WallaWallaZag
03-02-2019, 11:22 PM
The depth and athleticism was just too much for the Gaels.

I don't really care for the Gaels' new offensive philosophy.

Dellavedova had the "pick n roll" down to a science and they had so many variations off of it. It really was a thing of beauty to watch. Watching Sacre hedge against that offense was awesome basketball.

The iso dribble drive offense they run now looks like something Calapari would run....with burger boys. I have no idea what the hell Bennett is doing down there. They do pull off some trick shots once in awhile, but it isn't sustainable. You can't consistently hang your hat on it.

bennett would love to continue with their traditional pick'n roll offense...but they don't have a point guard who can run it or a good enough traditional smc big to run it with. ford is an excellent scorer but not a very good pg.

SorenTodd45
03-02-2019, 11:24 PM
Even though the first half was back and forth, I never lost faith. And that 2nd half run killed the Gaels. That's the Zag team I know and love. But Kispert was atrocious. He was so good earlier in the season, and now he seems like a defensive liability. Good thing he has all this off time to work on his D.

Sarenyon
03-02-2019, 11:34 PM
Have to disagree with you Reborn on Perkins. He was shooting at a good rate for this game. Shot the shots that came to him. The only forced one from him was the one when he was falling, but it went in anyway. Snacks and CK were very quiet. Snacks was good on D though - especially in the 2nd half. CK needs to get better on the D side of the ball. Geno was doing a lot of other things out there and his offense was about normal. The starters got a lot of run. I though Few would start pulling guys at 2 min left. It was over then, but still kept them in until last 30 sec.

tempe85
03-03-2019, 05:17 AM
Gonzaga 69
St Marys 55

The game wasn't this close. Zags really let up in last two minutes. They really did play awesome defense the 2nd half and St Mary's really shouldn't have scored 50. Zags totally shut them down the 2nd half. St Mary's was stuck on 45 for most of the second half but scored ten points in the last couple of minutes.

That being said it was a pretty horrible game again for our shooting guards (Norvell, Perkins and Kispert) who shot 0-9. We shot 2-14 as a team from behind the 3 point line. Worst shooting night I've ever seen from a Gonzaga team. Thank God Gonzaga has a couple of the best front court players in the country. I really believe Rui could have gotten 40 points easily if Norvell would have quit shooting 3's. I really don't enjoy our offense when he shoots and shoots 3's even when he's off. And honestly Kispert is not much better. And yet I totally enjoy watching Rui and Clark, and honestly tonight Perkins had a really good game outside of his 3 point shooting. He scored nineteen. The Zags did shoot 53% for the game and 11-12 from the foul line. Josh led the team in scoring with 19, Rui followed with 17 and Clarke had 15.

It was great to see the awesome defense. The Zags are now finally in the top 20 on defense on Kenpom. I think they went from 24 to 14. And they were tough tonight in the second half. Good for them.

Go Zags!!!

I don't mind Norvell taking the long 3's because I know he can hit them but I don't want to see him do it the first 5 seconds into the shot clock like he does sometimes. A long 3 like that should be something you settle for if you can't get anything better, sometimes that will happen. Taking it immediately is just laziness.

raise the zag
03-03-2019, 05:26 AM
Our assist #' s were way down this road trip.

Around 7 below our average for both games.

Perkins had 3 asssists combined these 2 games. Take what the defense gives you, yet does it effect our overall production?

He was quoted last week on Mark Few Show saying "I plan to score more pts going forward, into post season play".

Well, he is certainly doing just that, yet our point production is down since he said it.

I love an aggressive, shot making Perkins, yet his quote concerned me a little.

The old cliche', don't fix what aint broken rings true.

Perkins said himself he was going to score more, I just what at what expense? There is always give n take to everything.

Will the score first, pass second Perk help us in the long run? Are we more or less versatile as a team without him finding/feeding guys as much? I dunno.

Both Rui and Clarke had more assists this road trip than Perkins.

Thoughts?

White lightning
03-03-2019, 05:50 AM
Teams are collapsing Rui and Clarke leaving Perkins on the ball screen. He is scoring more becouse of that. I'm sure they have been working on this as teems change their approach on defence. Prior to SM game they scored 92 102 and 86. That's over 93 ppg. How many do you expect?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Birddog
03-03-2019, 06:00 AM
The 3 ball kept SMC in it in the first half where they made 5 of 9 with several of those coming deep in the shot clock. The Zags locked down their defense and SMC went 0 for 6 in the 2nd. It's the time of year when defense is really really important. That stretch in the 2nd half when the Zags shut down SMC was magnificent.

bdmiller7
03-03-2019, 06:10 AM
bennett would love to continue with their traditional pick'n roll offense...but they don't have a point guard who can run it or a good enough traditional smc big to run it with. ford is an excellent scorer but not a very good pg.

Zoriks was going to be the starting pg with Ford at the 2 but he tore his ACL in the preseason scrimmage. They also have played without 7'3" Menzies all year. SMC should be better next year.

GrizZAG
03-03-2019, 06:26 AM
That gym is horrible between the perenial hot and humid conditions combined with a slippery floor. It’s flat dangerous to both teams. They need a new facility

Martin Centre Mad Man
I don't mind Norvell taking the long 3's because I know he can hit them but I don't want to see him do it the first 5 seconds into the shot clock like he does sometimes. A long 3 like that should be something you settle for if you can't get anything better, sometimes that will happen. Taking it immediately is just laziness.

Agreed. He is great with the ball at the end of the shot clock, because he can make tough, contested shots when nothing else is available.

zagamatic

Perkins had 3 asssists combined these 2 games. Take what the defense gives you, yet does it effect our overall production?

He was quoted last week on Mark Few Show saying "I plan to score more pts going forward, into post season play".

Well, he is certainly doing just that, yet our point production is down since he said it.

Perkins said himself he was going to score more, I just what at what expense? There is always give n take to everything.

Will the score first, pass second Perk help us in the long run? Are we more or less versatile as a team without him finding/feeding guys as much? I dunno.

Thoughts?

This "could be" a calculated move by Perkins and Few knowing that other teams around the country will use the most recent tape to scout us. If they see that Perkins can and will score at a good clip, then that opens up our bigs like normal.
Also, it's not like St. Mary's wasn't getting back on defense in transition. So it's understandable that our overall point total goes down when there are simply fewer possessions to be had.

MileHigh
03-03-2019, 06:32 AM

Thoughts?

Assists can be a misleading stat and often have more to do with what the receiver of the ball is able to do than what the passer did. Almost all of Perkins assists come on lobs to the bigs and catch and shoot 3's from Kispert and Norvell. If the 3's arnt going in and the opponent is dropping to the block on the PnR, and taking away the lob, that is going to cause assist numbers to drop and open layups for Perk to go up.

Last week in the two games in Spokane he took 18 shots and had 16 assists. This week he took 21 shots and had 3 assists. Not a huge difference in shot attempts, just a difference in how they were defended. Your assertion that he is now "score first-pass second" is a bit hyperbolic.

Zagger
03-03-2019, 06:33 AM
Really liked how the Zags react from half to half and even from timeouts. Must be dang good communication going on between coaches and team. As in real communication.

Birddog
03-03-2019, 06:59 AM
St Mary's getting back on defense

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b6/ba/9d/b6ba9d4df02c17abe5234c832a0fbda7.jpg

ZagMan in Philly
03-03-2019, 07:16 AM
Zags took care of business, prevented a court storming incident like the one in Utah State vs Nevada game last night.

vandalzag
03-03-2019, 07:51 AM
Assists can be a misleading stat and often have more to do with what the receiver of the ball is able to do than what the passer did. Almost all of Perkins assists come on lobs to the bigs and catch and shoot 3's from Kispert and Norvell. If the 3's arnt going in and the opponent is dropping to the block on the PnR, and taking away the lob, that is going to cause assist numbers to drop and open layups for Perk to go up.

Last week in the two games in Spokane he took 18 shots and had 16 assists. This week he took 21 shots and had 3 assists. Not a huge difference in shot attempts, just a difference in how they were defended. Your assertion that he is now "score first-pass second" is a bit hyperbolic.

A hyperbolic reaction after one or two games on this board no way that happens

GeorgiaZagFan
03-03-2019, 08:55 AM
I believe the Zags need to have the top 4 players (Rui, Clarke, Perkins and Norvell) to continue to get better BUT to make a strong run in March the next 4 players (Kispert, Crandall, Petrusev, and Jones) need to really step it up! It appears that Crandall has made some strides but Kispert and Petrusev have taken a few steps back and Jones is what he is..good defense and clueless on offense most of the time. But without those 4 making more progress or Tillie providing some production ..a team like Tennessee or Florida St. who play lots of players will wear down the Zags. Either way this Zag's team will still have a chance to go far in March ...unless they play an entire game like they did the 1st half of this game against St. Mary's

siliconzag
03-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Old geezer Zag here. Saw them play for the first time on a brief US visit. I watched in a Honky Tonk near Whitefish with friends last night. Perkins impressed. Hope he can keep that up, as I believe the Zags fortunes will rise and fall with Josh. Guard play is so important in the tournament. The domination of SMC in Moraga was great to see, as it is one of the toughest venues in the country. Anyway, Zag fans, congratulations on a great year. I'm not sure how far they will go, but it seems to me, they are a FF team again, especially if Mr. Perkins can maintain his momentum. Auguri a tutti, Sili

gueastcoast
03-03-2019, 09:18 AM
This "could be" a calculated move by Perkins and Few knowing that other teams around the country will use the most recent tape to scout us. If they see that Perkins can and will score at a good clip, then that opens up our bigs like normal.
Also, it's not like St. Mary's wasn't getting back on defense in transition. So it's understandable that our overall point total goes down when there are simply fewer possessions to be had.

Think there is something to this. Telling the world you can't just key on our bigs, we can break you down on the drive and otherwise get production elsewhere.

MontanaCoyote
03-03-2019, 09:30 AM
I believe the Zags need to have the top 4 players (Rui, Clarke, Perkins and Norvell) to continue to get better BUT to make a strong run in March the next 4 players (Kispert, Crandall, Petrusev, and Jones) need to really step it up! It appears that Crandall has made some strides but Kispert and Petrusev have taken a few steps back and Jones is what he is..good defense and clueless on offense most of the time. But without those 4 making more progress or Tillie providing some production ..a team like Tennessee or Florida St. who play lots of players will wear down the Zags. Either way this Zag's team will still have a chance to go far in March ...unless they play an entire game like they did the 1st half of this game against St. Mary's

I think you are right on this. Sweet Sixteen on, Zags need to be firing on all 9 cylinders to keep going down the road. Only caveat IMHO would be if one of the first four (probably Norvell) or Tillie went 3 crazy like Till’s did last year in the WCC tourney. A 3 ball barrage like that can mitigate short comings elsewhere.

To win it all, Zags will need to be the best they can be across the board. Not much slack or wiggle room. If we had one more big with about 2 thirds the talent of Rui or Clarke, OR if Tillie was 100%, I be cutting down the nets in my dreams.

But you play with the cards you’re dealt. We have a damn good hand, but they’ve all got to play their best.

willandi
03-03-2019, 09:31 AM
Think there is something to this. Telling the world you can't just key on our bigs, we can break you down on the drive and otherwise get production elsewhere.

True, and if Norvell hits 2 threes, Josh and Kispert 1 each the final score is completely different. The norm would be those three guards hitting that number and would be 4/9 instead of the 0'fer.

SMC would have been forced to come out of the paint a bit more. When the guards are hitting, can't collapse the defense.

jazzdelmar
03-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Didn’t care for Few pulling a stall in last 3-4 minutes. SMC was still driving and dunking. If Geno doesn’t make 3 point play it’s a single digit win. Cosmetic, I know, but there’s also something about staying cutthroat. And it was starters he backed off with, not subs. Makes no sense to me.

Reborn
03-03-2019, 09:35 AM
Old geezer Zag here. Saw them play for the first time on a brief US visit. I watched in a Honky Tonk near Whitefish with friends last night. Perkins impressed. Hope he can keep that up, as I believe the Zags fortunes will rise and fall with Josh. Guard play is so important in the tournament. The domination of SMC in Moraga was great to see, as it is one of the toughest venues in the country. Anyway, Zag fans, congratulations on a great year. I'm not sure how far they will go, but it seems to me, they are a FF team again, especially if Mr. Perkins can maintain his momentum. Auguri a tutti, Sili

Nice hearing from you again, Sili. Why are you in Italy?

Reborn
03-03-2019, 09:36 AM
Didn’t care for Few pulling a stall in last 3-4 minutes. SMC was still driving and dunking. If Geno doesn’t make 3 point play it’s a single digit win. Cosmetic, I know, but there’s also something about staying cutthroat. And it was starters he backed off with, not subs. Makes no sense to me.

I agree. I don't understand why he did that either.

Zagceo
03-03-2019, 09:42 AM
needs to be addressed by WCC

• I understand why Saint Mary’s tries to shove as many paying customers into its gym as possible. But when the crowd and the warmth they generate result in slippery floor conditions, something needs to be done. It was shocking last night how many players slipped when making routine two-foot stops. It was almost as if they were playing in dress shoes, not Nikes. At least no one was hurt.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/mar/03/grip-sports-high-school-basketball-over-s-just-beg/

How good was GU’s defense? Saint Mary’s, which is in the top 20 nationally in offensive efficiency, scored 12 points in the first 18 minutes of the second half.

Clarke responded by swatting Ford’s next two shots at the rim. The Zags broke away with a 17-0 run.
“(Clarke) changes everybody’s shot every game,” said Ford, who finished with 19 points. “He doesn’t even have to try and go up and block a shot. Just seeing him there, knowing his athletic ability affects people’s shots.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/mar/02/analysis-gonzaga-dominates-saint-marys-in-second-h/

love the Zag fans reaction in background

https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2019/03/02/AP_19062141179220_t1860.jpg?e376738356dfb157a06634 95e736cc1da8d5d967

BayAreaZagFan
03-03-2019, 09:52 AM

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/mar/03/grip-sports-high-school-basketball-over-s-just-beg/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/mar/02/analysis-gonzaga-dominates-saint-marys-in-second-h/They keep saying what a tough environment it is to play in. Apparently, they've been talking about the HVAC situation all along. And I'm tired of hearing all of those "cute" stories about "the fire marshal looking the other way" when the Zags come to town.

willandi
03-03-2019, 09:53 AM

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/mar/02/analysis-gonzaga-dominates-saint-marys-in-second-h/

I doubt the WCC cares enough to do anything. I have suggested getting the Fire Marshall involved. He is a public official who is supposed to care about the safety of the fans.

BurgessEraZag
03-03-2019, 01:39 PM
I'm on board with you Sarenyon.
Perkins and Snacks both had good games, Perkins better but both played great defense, diving for balls, altering opponents' shots, facilitating offense. Snacks' layins were off the chart. What bothers me are the comments that "we are not shooting well" when it's pretty well accepted and agreed upon that GU has a good DEFENSE. Maybe our defense relies on Clarke but the guards including Geno contribute much along with Jeremy. Kispert could be better but if he was hurting the team, do you think Few would start him?
Whether a team plays "good or not" does not always depend upon the "ball going through the net." The other factor is the Zags "game" is a team game and Snacks, Geno, Jones and even Kispert are part of a great team with three other super stars.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and the above is mine but "come on guys" our entire top seven players contribute. Even Petrusev made a big hoop after getting his lunch taken by SMC's Estonian.
Sorry I love the Zags and Reborn I know you do too. Chill a little on the 20 year olds. How many Ws in a row will make you happy and satisfied.

TexasZagFan
03-03-2019, 01:47 PM
I doubt the WCC cares enough to do anything. I have suggested getting the Fire Marshall involved. He is a public official who is supposed to care about the safety of the fans.

In light of what happened to Nevada last night, I'm much more concerned about the safety of our players. I fully expect that our conference road streak will come to an end next year, and thousands of fans rushing the court. We'll still be good, but very, very young compared to our teams from the past few years.

IIRC, the Fire Marshal at USF didn't do diddly when Ammo came to town, and that was a far worse situation.

TexasZagFan
03-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Perkins and Snacks both had good games, Perkins better but both played great defense, diving for balls, altering opponents' shots, facilitating offense. Snacks' layins were off the chart. What bothers me are the comments that "we are not shooting well" when it's pretty well accepted and agreed upon that GU has a good DEFENSE. Maybe our defense relies on Clarke but the guards including Geno contribute much along with Jeremy. Kispert could be better but if he was hurting the team, do you think Few would start him?
Whether a team plays "good or not" does not always depend upon the "ball going through the net." The other factor is the Zags "game" is a team game and Snacks, Geno, Jones and even Kispert are part of a great team with three other super stars.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and the above is mine but "come on guys" our entire top seven players contribute. Even Petrusev made a big hoop after getting his lunch taken by SMC's Estonian.
Sorry I love the Zags and Reborn I know you do too. Chill a little on the 20 year olds. How many Ws in a row will make you happy and satisfied.

Geno and Corey play much better when they stay within themselves, and not try to force the issue. Filip caught a bit of home cooking last night, the SMC center hooked him with his right arm when he made that move to the basket. Also noticed SMC got away with their patented moving screen technique on multiple occasions.

john montana
03-03-2019, 08:05 PM

Where in whitefish? I grew up there. Miss it.

katman50
03-03-2019, 08:13 PM

Totally agree with all you said. Couldn't have said it any better. Like you say, "How many wins in a row will make you happy?" I am elated with this team, the starters, the bench, etc. Have some fans become jaded?

HenneZag
03-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Petrusev. I want to love this kid as he has great potential. With that said, not sure if I've observed a Zag with weaker hands. If he is going to help us he needs to get much stronger with the ball. Its frustrating to watch.

Reborn
03-03-2019, 10:23 PM
Have to disagree with you Reborn on Perkins. He was shooting at a good rate for this game. Shot the shots that came to him. The only forced one from him was the one when he was falling, but it went in anyway. Snacks and CK were very quiet. Snacks was good on D though - especially in the 2nd half. CK needs to get better on the D side of the ball. Geno was doing a lot of other things out there and his offense was about normal. The starters got a lot of run. I though Few would start pulling guys at 2 min left. It was over then, but still kept them in until last 30 sec.

I believe I did say that Perkins had a good game and scored 19 points. My criticism was merely aimed at the 3 point shooting. The Zags only made two three's all night long, and Crandall made one of them. The other guards failed to make any at all. I was shocked really. It was hard for me to believe that stat. I praised the defence, and felt it was outstanding in the second half.

Reborn
03-03-2019, 10:53 PM
I watched the game again. It's amazing how much better the team looks when I watch the game a second time. Again the passing was so beautiful. We have guards on this team that can really pass. Gonzaga is the sixth best passing team in NCAA Div 1 basketball averaging 18.1 assists per game. Josh gets most of the praise for the assists by the team, but honestly, Norvell. Crandall and Kispert can all pass really well and are partly the reason that our very good front court players score so much. There were so many "Alley Ooops" for dunks by Clarke that were the the result of some awesome passing by the guards. This is the best passing team I've ever seen. I'm sorry for not mentioning that in my post game analysis.

In the future I'm going to wait until I've watched the game a second time before I say anything about the game. I am not going to post a thread after the game giving my opinions of the game. If someone would like to do it; please go ahead and post a game analysis thread, or whatever you'd like to call it.

Peace, love and joy!!!

MDABE80
03-03-2019, 11:17 PM
The oops were numerous perhaps a bit too much so. . I wonder what happens when we get to a taller team with athletes who wait for those pinpoint passes. Glad the guys could field them and put the balls down. Points in the paint save this one. Out guard play was advanced especially Josh. passing well nd putting up his own points. That mattered. I hope the high percentage shots continue. Transition game was amazing last night.

Ezag
03-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Petrusev. I want to love this kid as he has great potential. With that said, not sure if I've observed a Zag with weaker hands. If he is going to help us he needs to get much stronger with the ball. Its frustrating to watch.

Sacre and Violette had butterfingers something fierce in their freshman years even worse than Petrusev.

bartruff1
03-04-2019, 11:09 AM
Gonzaga just humiliated the WCC this year.....

TexasZagFan
03-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Gonzaga just humiliated the WCC this year.....

The rest of the conference can point their collective fingers at Santa Clara for their “Game On” advertisement. :lmao:

Zagceo
03-04-2019, 11:30 AM
best part about West Coast Conference play....the day its over!

HenneZag
03-04-2019, 11:33 AM
Sacre and Violette had butterfingers something fierce in their freshman years even worse than Petrusev.

Difference with Sacre is he played exceptional defense.

Ezag
03-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Difference with Sacre is he played exceptional defense.

Not his first couple of years. 8 & 9 minutes a game his first 2 years and could never hold onto the ball.

MickMick
03-04-2019, 01:44 PM
Not his first couple of years. 8 & 9 minutes a game his first 2 years and could never hold onto the ball.

Robert had a bad habit of holding the ball low where undersized WCC guards could swipe it loose. Took him two years to program his muscle memory to hold the ball high and out of reach. Or at least maximize the difficulty factor for such attempts.

Landing Donny Daniels was such a boon. The bigs are acquiring good habits much sooner in their development. Having said that, Filip would really benefit from a sophomore redshirt ala Olynyk.