PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Prep at WIAA

TravelinZag
02-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Any TV coverage?

23dpg
02-28-2019, 01:04 PM
Not sure about TV but here's the game cast.

https://scorebooklive.com/basketball/games/94005-gonzaga-prep-vs-kentridge/scorebookcast

23dpg
02-28-2019, 01:17 PM
Prep up 19-11 at the end of the first quarter. Anton already with 12 points.

23dpg
02-28-2019, 01:20 PM
Make that 19-12. Looks like they upgraded a 2 to a 3.
Liam Lloyd and Carter Sonneborn each with 2 fouls.

23dpg
02-28-2019, 01:28 PM
Just noticed they do have instant highlights from the game at the link above.

31-22 in the second.

23dpg
02-28-2019, 01:33 PM
35-25 at the half. Watson didn't score in the second quarter and remains at 12.

Byrd with 6, Stockton 5 and Lloyd with 4.

23dpg
02-28-2019, 01:56 PM
55-34 after 3.

Watson with 22

vandalzag
02-28-2019, 02:31 PM
Prep rolls. Watson was dominant. Hit is his first 9 from the field. I think he finished with 22 and 15 boards plus 5 assists and 4 blocks while not playing the 4th quarter. The kid is special. They get Federal Way at 530 Friday. New RPI system did not work, Union the number 1 seed loses to Curtis (who Prep smacked around last week).
You can watch all of the games on www.nfhsnetwork.com costs 9.99 for the month subscription but access to a ton of HS sports. Looking forward to the McDaniels Vs Watson duel on Friday. Can't wait to see Anton in a Zag uniform.

jazzdelmar
02-28-2019, 02:50 PM
How good is he? Vs other Zags? Vs other players? Is he a Mickey D level?

Prep rolls. Watson was dominant. Hit is his first 9 from the field. I think he finished with 22 and 15 boards plus 5 assists and 4 blocks while not playing the 4th quarter. The kid is special. They get Federal Way at 530 Friday. New RPI system did not work, Union the number 1 seed loses to Curtis (who Prep smacked around last week).
You can watch all of the games on www.nfhsnetwork.com costs 9.99 for the month subscription but access to a ton of HS sports. Looking forward to the McDaniels Vs Watson duel on Friday. Can't wait to see Anton in a Zag uniform.

cggonzaga
02-28-2019, 03:28 PM

Yes. I’d put him on Rui’s level. He’ll be in the league.

WallaWallaZag
02-28-2019, 03:35 PM
Yes. I’d put him on Rui’s level. He’ll be in the league.

doesn't have rui's physique but will come in already with a better perimeter game...

VinnyZag
02-28-2019, 04:05 PM
I was at the Tacoma Dome this afternoon for both G-prep vs. Kentridge and FWay vs. Richland.

Watson was dominant on both ends. Kentridge had nobody who could guard him down low and he dominated similarly to how Rui dominated WCC opponents. Had at least 4 dunks that i can remember. Also took Kentridge's best player completely out of the game.

Federal Way didn't really need McDaniels to do a ton versus Richland but he still had 19, I think.

Based on one afternoon (very small sample size, lol) it appeared Watson is more polished but McDaniels has great tools. I can't go back tomorrow, but I bet that'll be a fun matchup.

VinnyZag
02-28-2019, 04:08 PM
Also I'm really excited now about Watson at GU. He's gonna be really good.

vandalzag
02-28-2019, 04:48 PM

He would be a Mickey D player if he played on the shoe circuit. He was incredible over the summer in the 2 major tourneys he played in, even more so when you look at his team being basically his school team and not a collection of AAU all stars.
He brings a complete game. Court vision is in unbelievable for a HS big. His game looks really smooth and because so it hides his athleticism. He plays better in big moments and against better comp. If he does not start or play major minutes from Day one it will mean GU is absolutely loaded.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-28-2019, 05:01 PM
He would be a Mickey D player if he played on the shoe circuit. He was incredible over the summer in the 2 major tourneys he played in, even more so when you look at his team being basically his school team and not a collection of AAU all stars.
He brings a complete game. Court vision is in unbelievable for a HS big. His game looks really smooth and because so it hides his athleticism. He plays better in big moments and against better comp. If he does not start or play major minutes from Day one it will mean GU is absolutely loaded.

I’m hoping Watson earns starting 3 spot for Zags next season:
Norvell / Ravet / Foster
Kispert / Norvell / Ayayi
Watson / Kispert / Arlauskas
Timme / Watson / Petrusev
? (Petrusev, Ballo, Zhakarov) ?

cggonzaga
02-28-2019, 05:01 PM
doesn't have rui's physique but will come in already with a better perimeter game...

Disagree. He has Rui’s body at same age.

cggonzaga
02-28-2019, 05:02 PM
https://twitter.com/paul4komosports/status/1101262570797686784?s=21

Today’s highlights.

TravelinZag
02-28-2019, 05:50 PM
Thanks, everyone! Radio won’t pull it in coast to coast.

ZagMan in Philly
02-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Watson can play defense.
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/high-school/article226912119.html

Spoko13
02-28-2019, 09:24 PM
He’s actually thicker than Rui at same age I think, just slightly shorter....Anton is going to be a MONSTER!!

caldwellzag
03-01-2019, 08:03 AM

Jazz, not that he will stay 4 years, but if he stays 2-3 he will go down as one of the best Zags ever. He should have been a Burger Boy, but he choose to play AAU with a local team instead of on the shoe circuit. He is a special talent and will be a lottery pick by the time he leaves (which could be as soon as after next year).

thespywhozaggedme
03-01-2019, 08:29 AM

But will Few start him over CK?

former1dog
03-01-2019, 08:46 AM
But will Few start him over CK?

Nope, and it won’t matter one little bit. See exhibit: Zach Collins

thespywhozaggedme
03-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Nope, and it won’t matter one little bit. See exhibit: Zach Collins

I dunno. Not starting the better player is just odd to be. But Few is a 1st ballot Hall of famer and I'm a 46 year old dork posting about young men trying to but a ball through a hoop. I'll defer to his expertise.

scrooner
03-01-2019, 10:03 AM
I think the goal is to start the best unit, not the best 5 players.

WallaWallaZag
03-01-2019, 10:17 AM

i wouldn't be shocked if timme and watson start together in the front court with kispert, norvell (fingers crossed), and a pg tbd...

seacatfan
03-01-2019, 10:42 AM

It seems like they screw up the seedings every year, whatever methodology they use. I think #1 seed Union got eliminated today by #11 seed Puyallup 61-48. Bracket doesn't show Puyallup advancing yet but I think that's a final. 0-2 and didn't place. Sure, #1 seed. And they only got to play in the consolation bracket today because they had a bye in the first round.

thespywhozaggedme
03-01-2019, 10:47 AM

Why would you assume that the best 5 players are not the best unit, barring something odd like the best 5 players all being 2 guards?

bdmiller7
03-01-2019, 10:47 AM
Nope, and it wonít matter one little bit. See exhibit: Zach Collins

Karnowski started because he was better than collins that year. Plenty of freshmen have started if they were the better option. I see Watson playing more 4 to start his career and the transitioning more into a 3 as he becomes a better ballhandler and shooter. I do think he will be the SF everyone wanted Rui to become.

bdmiller7
03-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Why would you assume that the best 5 players are not the best unit, barring something odd like the best 5 players all being 2 guards?

At the beginning of the 15/16 season Wiltjer, Sabonis, and Karnoswki were the 3 best players, they were definitely not the best unit when on the court together.

maynard g krebs
03-01-2019, 12:22 PM

Exactly. Next year's team is likely to be really green. Kispert isn't at talented as Watson, obviously, but he always makes the right offensive reads and moves the ball to the right place, which doesn't show up in the individual stats. A veteran presence familiar w/ the system will be needed, and if Norvell doesn't return that has to be Kispert. Watson could start at the 4 too.

On my way to Tacoma now. Will post about it tomorrow.

thespywhozaggedme
03-01-2019, 12:32 PM
At the beginning of the 15/16 season Wiltjer, Sabonis, and Karnoswki were the 3 best players, they were definitely not the best unit when on the court together.

Agreed, hence my qualifier at the end of my post that you quoted. But mystery pg, Zach, Watson, Timme and Petrusev don't play the same positions or share similar skill sets. I think we all agree that Watson is the superior player to CK, yet we also all agree that Few will start the latter over the former.

seacatfan
03-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Of course transitive properties don't really work in sports. G Prop and Federal Way both won easily yesterday. In a loser out game between the 2 teams they beat, Richland hammered Kentridge 83-59 today. Federal way beat Richland by a similar score yesterday.

bdmiller7
03-01-2019, 01:46 PM
Agreed, hence my qualifier at the end of my post that you quoted. But mystery pg, Zach, Watson, Timme and Petrusev don't play the same positions or share similar skill sets. I think we all agree that Watson is the superior player to CK, yet we also all agree that Few will start the latter over the former.

I don't agree that freshman Watson is superior to junior Kispert until I see it on the court next year. Plus I think right now Watson is more of a 4 than a 3. What the 3 and 4 are doing in Few's offense are very different and I see Watson's current skills looking more like a 4. I think he will be the starting 3 eventually, but not next year unless Norvell leaves and Kispert is at the 2.

BobZag
03-01-2019, 02:40 PM
Link to webcast, for a nominal fee:

https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/schools/gonzaga-preparatory-school-spokane-wa

Zag_Dad
03-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Looks like Prep will advance. Watson held to just 10 points but Liam Lloyd had 22. McDaniels finished with 17 for Federal Way.

cggonzaga
03-01-2019, 06:14 PM
Looks like Prep will advance. Watson held to just 10 points but Liam Lloyd had 22. McDaniels finished with 17 for Federal Way.

I’ve heard officiating was terrible all the way around.

Mantua
03-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Iíve heard officiating was terrible all the way around.

I thought so. Federal Way seemed to get away with a lot more than Prep, especially in the first half.
The reffing was pretty inconsistent. Matthews was smart to take Watson and Lloyd out for so many minutes in the second half. I think he read the refs pretty well. Federal Wayís fouls (the same ones they werenít called for in the first half) were more visible when Prepís stars were out and the team managed to keep it close enough anyway. There are always some weird high school refs in the tournaments.

seacatfan
03-01-2019, 09:48 PM
Don't see it mentioned, G Prep gets Mt. Si in the Championship Game. I don't think Mt. Si is a traditional powerhouse.

A bit OT, but in 3A Mt. Spokane knocked off Rainer Beach, seems like Beach is almost always in the Title Game. Not this year. Mt. Spokane will face O'Dea, who used to be a power but I don't think they've been anywhere near a Championship in years. Interesting. Lewis & Clark is in the 4A Girls Championship, Mt. Spokane also in in Girls 3A Championship and East Valley in Girls 2A. Spokane area schools performing well again as usual.

bigblahla
03-02-2019, 03:27 AM
Would love to see Watson at the 3, he has the handles and the game for it, Timme at the 4 and Petrusev at the 5... Snacks at point and CK at the two... that's a big bad line-up... don't think it will happen but it would be fun to watch...

Go!! Zags!!!

mgadfly
03-02-2019, 04:39 AM
The sophomore PF for O’Dea is ranked #5 in the 2021 class and was the best player I saw yesterday. The officiating and other top talent on the floor may have taken some of the shine off Watson as he was limited. But if you can watch the 3A championship tonight, keep an eye on O’Dea’s #5.

zag67
03-02-2019, 05:51 AM
You are correct about Mtsi. They have not been to state since about 2000. They got a new coach 3 years ago from Issaquah. He had been to state with them 3 times lately. My son went to mtsi and me to GP. So I was at state and watched them both the last two days. My son and two grandsons (3 and 5) went to the games last night. It was fun and both teams played solid team ball. Should be a good game. Tonight I have a problem. Go to the game or watch GU and them on TV. Or go to the game

Zags_Fanatic
03-02-2019, 10:35 AM
Don't see it mentioned, G Prep gets Mt. Si in the Championship Game. I don't think Mt. Si is a traditional powerhouse.

A bit OT, but in 3A Mt. Spokane knocked off Rainer Beach, seems like Beach is almost always in the Title Game. Not this year. Mt. Spokane will face O'Dea, who used to be a power but I don't think they've been anywhere near a Championship in years. Interesting. Lewis & Clark is in the 4A Girls Championship, Mt. Spokane also in in Girls 3A Championship and East Valley in Girls 2A. Spokane area schools performing well again as usual.

Not OT for this Mt. Spokane Alum! Go Wildcats!

maynard g krebs
03-02-2019, 02:15 PM
G Prep is gonn win the final easily. The real final already happenedlast night.

zag67
03-02-2019, 02:49 PM
I do not think it is going to be that easy. MT SI plays solid defense, had very good passers and they also have shooters that make many 3s. They are a very well coached team in fundamentals at both ends of the court. If they walk in over confident, they may have a tougher game than planned.

The MT SI team was not even suppose to be here this year. Their team is mostly juniors and younger. Point guard is a freshman and their two main guards are juniors (6'6" and 6'7"). I plan on being there with my son and I will be for GP and he will be for MT SI (he went there).

seacatfan
03-02-2019, 03:27 PM
Federal Way thumped whoever they played today to take 3rd place. We'll see about the game tonight but I'm certainly expecting G Prep to win.

RenoZag
03-02-2019, 08:29 PM
ROOT Sports airing the Mt. Si - Gonzaga Prep 4A Title game right now. . .

thespywhozaggedme
03-02-2019, 08:40 PM
ROOT Sports airing the Mt. Si - Gonzaga Prep 4A Title game right now. . .

Ha and Dish dropped that channel for us out of staters. Ugh

NEC26
03-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Yeah, can't watch either. Frustrating.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Any updates?

23dpg
03-02-2019, 09:05 PM
Any updates?

Prep up 31-23 at half.

NEC26
03-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Update?

23dpg
03-02-2019, 09:39 PM
G Prep up by 22 in the 4th.

seacatfan
03-02-2019, 09:46 PM
G Prep vs. Federal Way absolutely should've been the Championship matchup. WIAA really screwed this up badly.

seacatfan
03-02-2019, 09:50 PM
O'Dea ran away from Mt. Spokane in the 3A Championship. Some anticlimactic games today.

maynard g krebs
03-03-2019, 01:18 PM
G Prep vs. Federal Way absolutely should've been the Championship matchup. WIAA really screwed this up badly.

WIAA is just massively, incredibly incompetent. RPI for seeding is just a joke. Everyone knew GP and FW were far superior to every other 4a team. Both would have blown out Union, probably worse than GP beat Mt Si.

And the Tacoma Dome is absolutely, by far, the worst venue to watch a basketball game that I have been in. I hate it. It absolutely sucks. They could hold this thing at Key Arena like they used to, and put the girls at Hec Ed or SPU.

Zagceo
03-03-2019, 02:04 PM
WIAA is just massively, incredibly incompetent. RPI for seeding is just a joke. Everyone knew GP and FW were far superior to every other 4a team. Both would have blown out Union, probably worse than GP beat Mt Si.

And the Tacoma Dome is absolutely, by far, the worst venue to watch a basketball game that I have been in. I hate it. It absolutely sucks. They could hold this thing at Key Arena like they used to, and put the girls at Hec Ed or SPU.

key arena is under renovation correct? never watched a basketball game in T Dome...what so bad about it?

maynard g krebs
03-04-2019, 02:10 PM
key arena is under renovation correct? never watched a basketball game in T Dome...what so bad about it?

Forgot about Key renovation, but that's temporary.

Huge floor for concerts and monster trucks, so seating starts like 30' away from court, or more. Lighting is blinding; gotta wear a baseball cap to protect your eyes. Sight lines/depth perception are like any big dome for players, so a lot of kids have trouble shooting and scores are low. And the area around the Dome is industrial ghetto; if you're there all day and want a break, nowhere nice to go w/ in walking distance.

The tourney was a blast as an all day thing when they held it in Seattle, now, not so much.

EEzag
03-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Forgot about Key renovation, but that's temporary.

Huge floor for concerts and monster trucks, so seating starts like 30' away from court, or more. Lighting is blinding; gotta wear a baseball cap to protect your eyes. Sight lines/depth perception are like any big dome for players, so a lot of kids have trouble shooting and scores are low. And the area around the Dome is industrial ghetto; if you're there all day and want a break, nowhere nice to go w/ in walking distance.

The tourney was a blast as an all day thing when they held it in Seattle, now, not so much.

Parking suuuucks too. Close to a highway but terrible in and out and the streets are terrible. Bring it to the Arena. Even the local CC would be better.