PDA

View Full Version : Brock Ravet on SWX in Spokane area at a little after 10:30 AM

rawkmandale
02-28-2019, 09:19 AM
SWX (channel 306 on Comcast) is covering the 2B Boys this morning. The Brewster game just wrapped up (Brewster beating Willapa Valley 57-49). Kittitas with Brock Ravet is next up. There is video only - no play-by-play announcers. Check it out if you are in the Spokane area.

Ezag
02-28-2019, 09:22 AM
Also online at https://www.swxrightnow.com/livestream/

ZagMan in Philly
02-28-2019, 09:31 AM
Awesome, thanks for the link, Go Brock!

rawkmandale
02-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Is SWX going full on homer, and using play-by-play announcers for the Kittitas/Thorp game?

23dpg
02-28-2019, 09:36 AM
Also online at https://www.swxrightnow.com/livestream/

I’m just getting an old CV-Richland game.

slickguser
02-28-2019, 09:37 AM

I agree, the online stream is currently not showing the same feed as the local SWX broadcast.

former1dog
02-28-2019, 09:37 AM

+1 :(

23dpg
02-28-2019, 09:45 AM
Game not even listed on their schedule of “today’s games”.

http://www.nwprepsnow.com/games/today/

Bummer, I was hoping to watch a little.

Ezag
02-28-2019, 09:53 AM
Dang sorry. I thought it would be the game

MDABE80
02-28-2019, 10:00 AM
I’m watching. Brock’s an amazing shooter. Handles great! As we know, defense is “ less accomplished” but decent.

former1dog
02-28-2019, 10:02 AM
I’m watching. Brock’s an amazing shooter. Handles great! As we know, defense is “ less accomplished” but decent.

Vision and passing?

rawkmandale
02-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Vision and passing?

Both at the highest level. Brock's shooting was off in the first half. I expect that to change in the second half, but his vision and passing are stellar. Toledo is the second ranked team in the state, starts 5 seniors, and looks very good, frankly. However, they are collecting multiple fouls trying to deal with Ravet.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:09 AM

Yeah, what others have said looks to be pretty accurate. Good handles, can create for himself and his teammates, nice passing skills/vision, and terrible defense. Not sure if he is tired but he just pretty much lets his man go right to the basket with little to no resistance or effort.

23dpg
02-28-2019, 10:11 AM
Score?

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:13 AM
Score?

28-26 Kittitas leads Toledo. Edit: at the half

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Ravet starts second half with nice drive and spinning finish off the glass. Edit: scores 3 buckets to start half for Kittitas. He is easily beating his man off the dribble and finishing at the hoop.

BobZag
02-28-2019, 10:24 AM
112 Comcast HD.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:27 AM
36-31 Kittitas up on Toledo. Ravet has really nice handles, his passing and vision is three steps above anyone else on the court.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Biggest thing I'm taking away is how good Ravet would be with his vision and passing with the type of athletes he will be playing with here.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Ravet steps up his defensive pressure and causes turnover.

former1dog
02-28-2019, 10:34 AM
Biggest thing I'm taking away is how good Ravet would be with his vision and passing with the type of athletes he will be playing with here.

Do you think he's quick enough (offensively) to adjust to the GIANT uptick in speed it will be at the high Division 1 level?

zagamatic
02-28-2019, 10:35 AM
Well, he just got a hard double team on an inbounds play at the hash mark if that tells you how much Toledo thinks of him. 39-38 end of 3rd Kittitas up

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:36 AM
39-38 Kittitas up at end of 3rd. Ravet has stepped up his D some and caused two turnovers late in the third quarter.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Do you think he's quick enough (offensively) to adjust to the GIANT uptick in speed it will be at the high Division 1 level?

I do, he is lightning quick with his passes (not telegraphed at all) and they have a lot of zip on them. I have been pleasantly surprised.

23dpg
02-28-2019, 10:39 AM
39-38 Kittitas up at end of 3rd. Ravet has stepped up his D some and caused two turnovers late in the third quarter.

39-38? Yikes! Too bad it’s the #1 vs #2 in the quarterfinals.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Toledo hits long three to take 2 point lead.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Kittitas up 1 on a three. Assist to Ravet on that one.

former1dog
02-28-2019, 10:41 AM
I do, he is lightning quick with his passes (not telegraphed at all) and they have a lot of zip on them. I have been pleasantly surprised.

You're awesome NEC26. Thanks for answering my inane questions. One more and you can just ignore me if you can't tell or don't feel like answering. Stockton and other good passers were excellent at delivering the ball exactly where the offensive teammate would have the most success. Can you tell if Brock's passing is at that level?

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Kittitas up 3 three. Drive and dish by Ravet. Another assist

JPtheBeasta
02-28-2019, 10:43 AM
Ravet starts second half with nice drive and spinning finish off the glass. Edit: scores 3 buckets to start half for Kittitas. He is easily beating his man off the dribble and finishing at the hoop.

Easily beats his man to the bucket but can’t stay in front of his man on defense... maybe good defense is in reach with some coaching and training.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:44 AM
You're awesome NEC26. Thanks for answering my inane questions. One more and you can just ignore me if you can't tell or don't feel like answering. Stockton and other good passers were excellent at delivering the ball exactly where the offensive teammate would have the most success. Can you tell if Brock's passing is at that level?

Thats what I meant when I said I would love to see him with the athletes at Gonzagas level. He had a really nice no look pass to a cutter that was perfectly placed. His teammate caught the ball in the air but couldn't finish.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:45 AM
46-43 Kittitas.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:47 AM
Easily beats his man to the bucket but can’t stay in front of his man on defense... maybe good defense is in reach with some coaching and training.

He does this with his handle and great stop and go dribble drive(plus the threat of his pull back three). He isn't a quick athlete.

zagamatic
02-28-2019, 10:49 AM
Defensively, his foot speed is adequate I'd say, he's no Meech but adequate. He's got enough skill and swagger that I think he's going to jump not just one level, but a couple when he gets better athletes to work with on the offensive end. 3 minutes to go, Kittitas up 48-44

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:51 AM
Ravet has been the motor all 4th quarter on offense. They have been trying to isolate Ravet on defense at times.

JPtheBeasta
02-28-2019, 10:53 AM
He does this with his handle and great stop and go dribble drive(plus the threat of his pull back three). He isn't a quick athlete.

Bummer. That’s what everyone else has been saying, too. I was looking for a reason to be optimistic.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:54 AM
48-44 2 minutes left. Kittitas leads with the ball.

rawkmandale
02-28-2019, 10:55 AM
Ravet with 24 points, but has not shot nearly as well as normal.

thespywhozaggedme
02-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Doesn't he hold his own in AAU vs D1 recruits?

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:56 AM
50-46 50 seconds left

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:57 AM
52-46 34 seconds

NEC26
02-28-2019, 10:58 AM
52-48 25 seconds. Ravet with 26 points to lead all scorers

thespywhozaggedme
Bummer. That’s what everyone else has been saying, too. I was looking for a reason to be optimistic.

Huh? How did you get something negative out of that?

rawkmandale
Ravet looks like a 90% free throw shooter.

thespywhozaggedme
02-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the play by play NEC.

former1dog
02-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Doesn't he hold his own in AAU vs D1 recruits?

That has been what has been reported and I've seen clips, but most are just Brock scoring, rather than driving and dishing.

Plus, I think defense and speed are well below Division 1 level, even in high level AAU games.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 11:00 AM
54-50 15 seconds

NEC26
02-28-2019, 11:03 AM
55-50 13 seconds left kittitas up Toledo ball

thespywhozaggedme
That has been what has been reported and I've seen clips, but most are just Brock scoring, rather than driving and dishing.

Plus, I think defense and speed are well below Division 1 level, even in high level AAU games.

The top AAU teams are made up primarily of future D1 players. I've seen plenty of AAU clips where he's dishing and driving.

Birddog
So WTH happened? did the show switch over to Heidi?

NEC26
02-28-2019, 11:04 AM
Toledo has three rim in and out. 55-50 3 seconds left

former1dog
02-28-2019, 11:05 AM

You're on fire today Bird!! :roll:

NEC26
57-50 3 seconds left

NEC26
Final 57-50 Kittitas wins.

rawkmandale
02-28-2019, 11:07 AM
So, Kittitas plays Brewster at 3:45 PM tomorrow. It looked like one of their taller players, number 12, suffered a pulled hamstring, so tomorrow might be a challenge for Kittitas. However, I expect Ravet to shoot better than today.

bigblahla
02-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Kittitas wins 57-50

NEC26
02-28-2019, 11:13 AM
I'm just a fan and no expert but my takeaways from that game were.
1. Ravet has a great handle
2.He is able to drive at will against these state B players with his stop and go dribble drive and a VERY nice crossover
3.He has great vision and sees plays before they are even there.
4.His passing is crisp and precise.
5. His footspeed is not quick but I wouldn't say he is slow (he creates separation through his handle and skill)
6. A couple times his defense was almost non existent but I think he may have been tired because he also had a couple turnovers forced at the end of the third quarter.

sittingon50
02-28-2019, 11:14 AM

Think you have to be an AARP member to get that one, bird.

vandalzag
02-28-2019, 11:15 AM
Brock can play, he has the green light from anywhere and is not shy about shooting. That being said he could have had 10-15 assists had teammates hit the wide open shots he found for them. He loves the step back and it was not falling today. He has a good handle and sees the floor well. If Dad had instructed him to go to the hoop instead of shooting the long 3's this is an easy double figure win. Hard to have an opinion on his D since it is pretty obvious that Defense is not stressed and he is not asked to do much on that end of the floor other than rest. Instincts are there and hopefully he takes to defensive coaching at the next level. For this level his sharing of the ball is A+ and if he was not so unselfish could easily average 40 a game against the level of comp. Will be interesting to see how works surrounded by the talent next year. It is easy to see why the coaches like his potential.

raise the zag
02-28-2019, 11:17 AM
Brock can play, he has the green light from anywhere and is not shy about shooting. That being said he could have had 10-15 assists had teammates hit the wide open shots he found for them. He loves the step back and it was not falling today. He has a good handle and sees the floor well. If Dad had instructed him to go to the hoop instead of shooting the long 3's this is an easy double figure win. Hard to have an opinion on his D since it is pretty obvious that Defense is not stressed and he is not asked to do much on that end of the floor other than rest. Instincts are there and hopefully he takes to defensive coaching at the next level. For this level his sharing of the ball is A+ and if he was not so unselfish could easily average 40 a game against the level of comp. Will be interesting to see how works surrounded by the talent next year. It is easy to see why the coaches like his potential.

His step back shot is awesome and usually on point, yet highly doubt Coach Few will ever allow it.

mgadfly
02-28-2019, 11:21 AM
Norvell shoots the step back quite often. I haven't seen Few ban his.

raise the zag
02-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Norvell shoots the step back quite often. I haven't seen Few ban his.

I hear you, however, Norvell is more a jab step pull back shot.

Wouldn't call Zach's a true/patented step back cross over like Ravet does.

cggonzaga
02-28-2019, 11:32 AM
His step back shot is awesome and usually on point, yet highly doubt Coach Few will ever allow it.

I’ve seen Ravet play quite a bit. While the step back can be on point he is fairly inconsistent with it. It has been a little more consistent this past year.

vandalzag
02-28-2019, 11:36 AM

I doubt he will allow the 25 ft step back fade away that he was shooting today. It will however be an effective weapon driving at the hoop.

bigblahla
02-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Wow, I understand potential and the kid oozes it... lackadaisical playing style reminds me of a young JP when I was calling him loopy for his careless passes... guess I don't know what crisp means... I always though you pass the ball so the receiver can accept it as he is going through his shooting motion, not just somewhere near him... I recorded the game and will watch it again.... he's young and will get better but IMO not D1 ready at this point... his best attributes are on offense however someone like Geno would eat him up... not fast but has the ability to change tempo ala Pangos and Captain Matt... definitely better than his competition but no one I saw on either team was D1 caliber except Ravet... good BB IQ, and I can see him contributing... I would take Snacks over him at pg in a heartbeat and not think twice.... in time he will be an asset and contributor but I will be surprised if he plays 10+ min next year... he does look like a defensive liability at the D1 level....

Just my opinion... but what the hell do I know?

Go !! Zags!!!

VanLith10
02-28-2019, 11:46 AM
Ravet had 26 points in what I would call “an off day” shooting for him. Very good dribble drives and passing. Tomorrow’s game against Brewster should be a good one with Joe Taylor hopefully matching up defensively against Brock.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 11:48 AM
Wow, I understand potential and the kid oozes it... lackadaisical playing style reminds me of a young JP when I was calling him loopy for his careless passes... guess I don't know what crisp means... I always though you pass the ball so the receiver can accept it as he is going through his shooting motion, not just somewhere near him... I recorded the game and will watch it again.... he's young and will get better but IMO not D1 ready at this point... his best attributes are on offense however someone like Geno would eat him up... not fast but has the ability to change tempo ala Pangos and Captain Matt... definitely better than his competition but no one I saw on either team was D1 caliber except Ravet... good BB IQ, and I can see him contributing... I would take Snacks over him at pg in a heartbeat and not think twice.... in time he will be an asset and contributor but I will be surprised if he plays 10+ min next year... he does look like a defensive liability at the D1 level....

Just my opinion... but what the hell do I know?

Go !! Zags!!!

No doubt Norvell would be a better option running this team year 1. He has a lot of time and experience on Ravet not to mention physically much tougher and quicker. Don't agree on the passing but maybe I need to rewatch.
The defensive concerns are legit but stating that Geno would eat him up( defensively shut him down) is presumptuous considering the coaches watched him play against our current team and he acquitted himself well enough for them to offer him on the spot.
Offensively, I don't think there is any question this kid is very talented and capable.

2Zags3Pups
02-28-2019, 12:01 PM
Perhaps he is such a key on offense that he is coached to rest on defense and they definitely don't want him in foul trouble. With the bball IQ he displays, I sure would think that that would carryover to defense as well.

MDABE80
02-28-2019, 12:32 PM
Give him1 year. He'll score 20ppg if he is quick enough. The one thing I see is that when he's got the ball is that with all his quirky moves, the defender is confused. Brock look like he' going in multiple directions all at once. unusual to say the least. Kind of like a running back who jukes one way and then jukes the other. His step back will get him lots of points. Adjusting to D1 won't be too hard for him. It's the defense he needs to improve on. Great passer and shooter and has great vision.

Irish_eliZAG
02-28-2019, 12:42 PM
What I noticed is that Brock draws a lot of fouls

bigblahla
02-28-2019, 01:06 PM
No doubt Norvell would be a better option running this team year 1. He has a lot of time and experience on Ravet not to mention physically much tougher and quicker. Don't agree on the passing but maybe I need to rewatch.
The defensive concerns are legit but stating that Geno would eat him up( defensively shut him down) is presumptuous considering the coaches watched him play against our current team and he acquitted himself well enough for them to offer him on the spot.
Offensively, I don't think there is any question this kid is very talented and capable.

Pargo is not the defender Geno is.... what I saw was a kid with game who had more talent than any other player on the court and knew it... he didn't seem to push himself or play hard all the time... Yes, you let the game come to you but you also play hard... I think he'll grow into what Tommy and Coach thinks he will be but I don't see him as a major contributor next season.... I would absolutely love him to prove me wrong... I glad he's a Zag and this is just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

bigblahla
02-28-2019, 01:16 PM
Give him1 year. He'll score 20ppg if he is quick enough. The one thing I see is that when he's got the ball is that with all his quirky moves, the defender is confused. Brock look like he' going in multiple directions all at once. unusual to say the least. Kind of like a running back who jukes one way and then jukes the other. His step back will get him lots of points. Adjusting to D1 won't be too hard for him. It's the defense he needs to improve on. Great passer and shooter and has great vision.

Many old school fundamentals not taught anymore... don't watch the feet, eyes or head.... the body always goes where the navel goes... not any harder than that... works in basketball too....

Go!! Zags!!!

sittingon50
02-28-2019, 01:20 PM
. the body always goes where the navel goes... Go!! Zags!!!

Is that true for both innies AND outies?

bigblahla
02-28-2019, 01:29 PM
absolutely 50.... ;)... words of wisdom from Bob Young... I know both you and bird remember him..

Go!! Zags!!!

zagamatic
02-28-2019, 01:48 PM
I did like that he looks for the free throw line elbow jumper, though he doesn't get near the elevation that Rui does obviously. I'll say this, I only have watched him in this one game and it's not a stretch to say he could be a Raivio type player SOMEDAY.

JPtheBeasta
02-28-2019, 03:03 PM
Huh? How did you get something negative out of that?

Sounds great offensively. The not a quick athlete part would seem to project out poorly on the defensive end.

thespywhozaggedme
02-28-2019, 03:24 PM
Sounds great offensively. The not a quick athlete part would seem to project out poorly on the defensive end.

Yes, but we already know that. It's good to have realistic expectations.

Reborn
02-28-2019, 03:26 PM
Ravet is really, really good. Speed is not a problem. He's a magician with the basketball. I hope you can that. He can do so many things with the ball that most players in high school don't do. There are some real good players in Central Washington, and Brock is the Cream of the Crop. IMO, he will play next year, and will most likely be a backup at the point. He does need to learn the D-1 game, but I won't be surprised if he starts. One thing I'll tell you. He will be ten times better playing for Gonzaga next year than he is this year. The fact is, the better players that you play with, the better you play.....That's if you're confident and are a winner. AND He is!

I'm glad so many of you are getting to see him play. It's a treat for sure.
I'm watching a player that plays for Selah HS and is in the same league as Ravet skill wise. I enjoy watching him play. HIs name is Elijiah Pepper. HIs younger brother is a Soph and may be better than Elijiah. Selah is now in Semi's tomorrow.

Go Zags!!!

former1dog
02-28-2019, 03:34 PM
Ravet is really, really good. Speed is not a problem. He's a magician with the basketball. I hope you can that. He can do so many things with the ball that most players in high school don't do. There are some real good players in Central Washington, and Brock is the Cream of the Crop. IMO, he will play next year, and will most likely be a backup at the point. He does need to learn the D-1 game, but I won't be surprised if he starts. One thing I'll tell you. He will be ten times better playing for Gonzaga next year than he is this year. The fact is, the better players that you play with, the better you play.....That's if you're confident and are a winner. AND He is!

I'm glad so many of you are getting to see him play. It's a treat for sure.
I'm watching a player that plays for Selah HS and is in the same league as Ravet skill wise. I enjoy watching him play. HIs name is Elijiah Pepper. HIs younger brother is a Soph and may be better than Elijiah. Selah is now in Semi's tomorrow.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn,

By all accounts, Ravet is a poor defender.

In your experience, do you think Ravet can become a good to serviceable defender on the D1 level?

hooter73
02-28-2019, 04:10 PM
In our time machine of 2004 yeah he would be a major get, on a team contending for a NC, well...

Look I loved pangos and was probably the biggest Wade proponent on this board, but a throwback guard that doesn’t have defensive ability is not the pg of a high or even mid major team. I’m going to route my head off for Brock, but also lament our lack of athletic defensive minded players who got us to a where we were in the last few years.

Create is own shot, good. Do it with a step back, not so good. Drives and high iq, good, no defense and I’m not seeing even very good passing so far, he might get to be a nice back up player, but day one I don’t see it.

JPtheBeasta
02-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Yes, but we already know that. It's good to have realistic expectations.

What do we already know? We have a building consensus that he is slow of foot, but the opinions about just how slow are varied. “Realistic expectations” at this point is a ephemeral idea. He could be the next Dan Dickau or the next Jesse Wade— both of which seem to be reasonable outcomes. I was probing to see just how bad he looks on defense. I pray he isn’t Nick Emery trying to defend a Geno Crandall cross-over level of bad.

maynard g krebs
02-28-2019, 04:28 PM
Really good comments by NEC, Vandal, and Reborn imo. Defensively I expect him to be similar to Dickau or Pangos. There are plenty of great basketball players that aren't quick or fast. Bird for example.

Thing about Brock is that he seems to get faster with the ball in his hands than he is w/o it. IMO he has some unique gifts that will more than make up for any shortcomings. He has the ability to make others better. You can see the other Kittitas kids love playing w/ him, and that isn't always the case when a guy is averaging 30.

rawkmandale
02-28-2019, 04:30 PM
If anyone still has SWX on, you might want to watch the game starting now, a 1 B matchup with Sunnyside Christian (defending champs) at 23-1, and Odessa at 23-2. Odessa has a kid that Blanchette wrote about today - Ryan Moffitt, a junior guard, who scored 48 points yesterday, and might pass Brock Ravet's all time scoring record next year.

vandalzag
02-28-2019, 05:04 PM
In our time machine of 2004 yeah he would be a major get, on a team contending for a NC, well...

Look I loved pangos and was probably the biggest Wade proponent on this board, but a throwback guard that doesn’t have defensive ability is not the pg of a high or even mid major team. I’m going to route my head off for Brock, but also lament our lack of athletic defensive minded players who got us to a where we were in the last few years.

Create is own shot, good. Do it with a step back, not so good. Drives and high iq, good, no defense and I’m not seeing even very good passing so far, he might get to be a nice back up player, but day one I don’t see it.

Just wondering how many times have you seen him play? If you watched today and did not see good passing from him I would really question your definition of passing. Let's not bury him before he gets on campus. Coaches had 1.5 years to change their mind, so I will give them the benefit of doubt that they see him as worthy of a scholarship. There are not guarantees that any of the kids coming in next year will be an All American.

rennis
02-28-2019, 05:18 PM
sidebar: If you've never been to the B tourney in Spokane - Do It. It's so much fun and those farm kids play their freakin' tails off. I went to a B School. The play may not exhibit the high level athletes of 4A schools, but you're gonna get maximum effort and frequently excellent fundamentals from the best teams. And surprising athletes here and there too.

Zagsker
02-28-2019, 06:10 PM
39-38? Yikes! Too bad it’s the #1 vs #2 in the quarterfinals.

Wait, what!? That is the dumbest bracket makeup

RenoZag
02-28-2019, 06:42 PM

Based on what evidence ?

zagamatic
02-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Wait, what!? That is the dumbest bracket makeup

I have not verified this myself, but according to a coworker of mine they draw names out of hat or something along those lines to determine the bracket rather than go by rankings / record. Seems strange to me too.

NEC26
02-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Based on what evidence ?

Yeah, I really don't get that one either. Many players made a career out of step back shots.

mtzaga
03-01-2019, 02:37 PM
Kittitas and Brewster in less than 10 minutes.

maynard g krebs
03-02-2019, 02:19 PM
I have not verified this myself, but according to a coworker of mine they draw names out of hat or something along those lines to determine the bracket rather than go by rankings / record. Seems strange to me too.

They used to do that, but they now seed according to RPI. Which does no good because RPI is so ridiculously flawed; G Prep and Fed Way are both at least 20 pts better than 1 seed Union. WIAA is terrible at running things; Tacoma Dome is the worst facility for basketball that I have ever seen, anywhere. No reason they couldn't play it at Key Arena and/or Hec Ed.