PDA

View Full Version : Naismith Award releases 15 nominees for men's basketball coach of the year

caduceus
02-27-2019, 01:42 PM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2019-02-27/naismith-award-releases-15-nominees-mens-basketball-coach-year

CoachTeamConferenceRick BarnesTennesseeSECChris BeardTexas TechBig 12John BeileinMichiganBig TenTony BennettVirginiaACCMark FewGonzagaWCCTom IzzoMichigan StateBig TenMike KrzyewskiDukeACCChris MackLouisvilleACCEric MusselmanNevadaMountain WestNate OatsBuffaloMACMatt PainterPurdueBig TenKelvin SampsonHoustonAACRoy WilliamsNorth CarolinaACCSteve WojciechowskiMarquetteBig EastMike YoungWoffordSoCon

CDC84
02-27-2019, 02:16 PM
There are only two names that stick out to me:

Rick Barnes = A fact: Tennessee doesn't have a single player who was a top 100 rated recruit coming out of high school. They also do not have a single guaranteed first round NBA draft pick. Grant Williams is likely to be a 2nd rounder at best. Barnes and his staff have done one of the most remarkable jobs in recent history to create a team that can compete like it does in a conference which gives very few nights off. To "discover" players like Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield (#251 with 247Sports, and from Illinois - not exactly a great place for hiding hidden gem players).

Chris Mack: First of all, I love how he railed against the state of officiating in college basketball. But the Cardinal were picked to finish 11th in the ACC this year with a brand new coach that was coaching largely players that weren't his. Louisville has had some trouble of late, but they are still 18-10, 9-6 in league, and in a good place to secure a NCAA bid.

But my vote goes to Barnes, although I will admit that some of it is a makeup for not selecting him as COY last season. So many of guys on this list are coaching teams who everyone knew were going to be good, and that even includes Mike Young at Wofford (who deserves to be in the NCAA's if they don't win their league tourney - it will be a great test of the NCAA's new evaluation system. They are also a team NO ONE wants to play. The best three point shooting team in the nation by a mile).

MickMick
02-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Beard has done a heck of a job at Tech.

Mark Few is due.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-27-2019, 03:40 PM
Beard has done a heck of a job at Tech.

Mark Few is due.

Coach Few won it in 2017.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-27-2019, 03:42 PM
There are only two names that stick out to me:

Rick Barnes = A fact: Tennessee doesn't have a single player who was a top 100 rated recruit coming out of high school. They also do not have a single guaranteed first round NBA draft pick. Grant Williams is likely to be a 2nd rounder at best. Barnes and his staff have done one of the most remarkable jobs in recent history to create a team that can compete like it does in a conference which gives very few nights off. To "discover" players like Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield (#251 with 247Sports, and from Illinois - not exactly a great place for hiding hidden gem players).

Chris Mack: First of all, I love how he railed against the state of officiating in college basketball. But the Cardinal were picked to finish 11th in the ACC this year with a brand new coach that was coaching largely players that weren't his. Louisville has had some trouble of late, but they are still 18-10, 9-6 in league, and in a good place to secure a NCAA bid.

But my vote goes to Barnes, although I will admit that some of it is a makeup for not selecting him as COY last season. So many of guys on this list are coaching teams who everyone knew were going to be good, and that even includes Mike Young at Wofford (who deserves to be in the NCAA's if they don't win their league tourney - it will be a great test of the NCAA's new evaluation system. They are also a team NO ONE wants to play. The best three point shooting team in the nation by a mile).

Coach Barnes has built a very strong program from the ground up at Tennessee. He would get my vote.

zag67
02-27-2019, 04:19 PM
Barnes would also get my vote. GREAT JOB. Few is also doing super also.

caduceus
02-27-2019, 04:50 PM
Most notable snub is Calipari, I'd say.

bartruff1
02-27-2019, 05:08 PM
I would like to see Young or Oats win it.....

SorenTodd45
02-27-2019, 05:11 PM
How does Mike Hopkins of University of Washington not get nominated? He completely turned that program around.

bartruff1
02-27-2019, 05:13 PM
ESPN hates the Pac 12....

former1dog
02-28-2019, 09:28 AM
I'm a homer, Few all the way!!