PDA

View Full Version : NBC Sports NBA Mock Draft 3.0: Clarke #13, Rui #16/ Yahoo Mock top 10 Clarke #9,

basketballzag
02-26-2019, 03:06 PM
I still firmly believe that Clarke is going to shoot up in the draft rankings after the combine & NCAA tourney and go somewhere between 5 and 10.

13. BRANDON CLARKE, Gonzaga
I think there is an argument to be made that Brandon Clarke is a top five player in college basketball this season. One bit of evidence: The best PER that any Division I player has posted since the 2009-2019 season was 36.9, which was done by John Brown of High Point three years ago. Clarke is currently matching that number, and the only player that has ever put up a higher number playing more than 20 minutes in a season is Zion Williamson himself. For comparisonís sake, Anthony Davis put up a 35.1 PER, albeit against much stronger competition.

I am fully convinced that Clarke is going to end up being a terrific defensive player in the NBA. He is probably the best defensive player in college basketball this season, and Iím not entirely sure itís all that close. The question with him offensively is whether or not you believe that jump shot is going to come around. I think that it will eventually, and he has proven that he is a hard-worker.

16. RUI HACHIMURA, Gonzaga
The ideal for Hachimura is to be what O.G. Anunoby is ó a versatile defender with three-point range that can finish above the rim and guard anyone from wings to centers. The problem is that Hachimura has the physical tools to be a really good defender but that it hasnít all come together for him on that end just yet, and while heís proven to be a good midrange shooter, he has an awkward release and is shooting just 31.3 percent from three in his career on only 67 attempts.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/02/26/nba-mock-draft-3-0-zion-williamson-to-go-no-1-r-j-barrett-no-4/

https://sports.yahoo.com/player-power-rankings-zion-reigns-184304252.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAG1y56lkLLEEYz0z9RBqnuKrYvOd Zp0BaD1rHZiri8GbQliy4hA0W5hd403G3qDKX4moaisTXFkvpO znh3mjhwdbW2GffEhjdxCDHAEDdLY8GKYaWgHr3RXFy76UIfEo r_tHM9jdTiUWK-nF-hzr5NbplfZMa770B6qlTaVfBjWd

9. BRANDON CLARKE, Gonzaga
Zion Williamson has the best PER in the last decade. The second-best PER since 2009-2010? That belongs to Brandon Clarke, whose 36.9 rating has only been matched by former High Point star John Brown in high senior season in 2015-16. There are limitations to what Clarke can do on the offensive end of the floor, but there is an argument to be made that he has been one of the five most impactful players in college basketball this season.

IN THE MIX: Rui Hachimura (Gonzaga)

Mr Vulture
02-26-2019, 03:50 PM
Not to be negative on the article but I don't feel his write up on Rui is very accurate at all nor the comparison. Rui is going to be a scorer at the NBA level but I doubt it's primarily from the outside. He is strong enough to run play inside for in the right matchups, has an excellent mid range game, and he can attack the rim. I would be beyond shocked if Rui lasted until #16, I'd be surprised if he made it past #10.

Ezag
02-26-2019, 03:57 PM
I believe Clarke will be the better NBA player. Rui does have all the physical tools but he is too passive at times and not nearly as tenacious or driven as Clarke on either end of the floor. Rui just needs more time to develop.

Bouldin4Prez
02-26-2019, 03:58 PM
I still firmly believe that Clarke is going to shoot up in the draft rankings after the combine & NCAA tourney and go somewhere between 5 and 10.

13. BRANDON CLARKE, Gonzaga
I think there is an argument to be made that Brandon Clarke is a top five player in college basketball this season. One bit of evidence: The best PER that any Division I player has posted since the 2009-2019 season was 36.9, which was done by John Brown of High Point three years ago. Clarke is currently matching that number, and the only player that has ever put up a higher number playing more than 20 minutes in a season is Zion Williamson himself. For comparison’s sake, Anthony Davis put up a 35.1 PER, albeit against much stronger competition.

I am fully convinced that Clarke is going to end up being a terrific defensive player in the NBA. He is probably the best defensive player in college basketball this season, and I’m not entirely sure it’s all that close. The question with him offensively is whether or not you believe that jump shot is going to come around. I think that it will eventually, and he has proven that he is a hard-worker.

16. RUI HACHIMURA, Gonzaga
The ideal for Hachimura is to be what O.G. Anunoby is — a versatile defender with three-point range that can finish above the rim and guard anyone from wings to centers. The problem is that Hachimura has the physical tools to be a really good defender but that it hasn’t all come together for him on that end just yet, and while he’s proven to be a good midrange shooter, he has an awkward release and is shooting just 31.3 percent from three in his career on only 67 attempts.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/02/26/nba-mock-draft-3-0-zion-williamson-to-go-no-1-r-j-barrett-no-4/

https://sports.yahoo.com/player-power-rankings-zion-reigns-184304252.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAG1y56lkLLEEYz0z9RBqnuKrYvOd Zp0BaD1rHZiri8GbQliy4hA0W5hd403G3qDKX4moaisTXFkvpO znh3mjhwdbW2GffEhjdxCDHAEDdLY8GKYaWgHr3RXFy76UIfEo r_tHM9jdTiUWK-nF-hzr5NbplfZMa770B6qlTaVfBjWd

9. BRANDON CLARKE, Gonzaga
Zion Williamson has the best PER in the last decade. The second-best PER since 2009-2010? That belongs to Brandon Clarke, whose 36.9 rating has only been matched by former High Point star John Brown in high senior season in 2015-16. There are limitations to what Clarke can do on the offensive end of the floor, but there is an argument to be made that he has been one of the five most impactful players in college basketball this season.

IN THE MIX: Rui Hachimura (Gonzaga)

The Yahoo article is not an NBA mock draft, it is a college basketball player of the year ranking.

ETA: Both articles are by the same author.

TexasZagFan
02-26-2019, 04:00 PM
Not to be negative on the article but I don't feel his write up on Rui is very accurate at all nor the comparison. Rui is going to be a scorer at the NBA level but I doubt it's primarily from the outside. He is strong enough to run play inside for in the right matchups, has an excellent mid range game, and he can attack the rim. I would be beyond shocked if Rui lasted until #16, I'd be surprised if he made it past #10.

IMBO (In My Biased Opinion), Rui's upside is much higher than most of the players in the draft. That opinion comes from observing his growth over the past three years, seeing him add new things to his repertoire every year. He's a Greek Freak starter kit who will adapt and grow in the NBA.

He is not intimidated, as I recall his post game comments in the Duke win.

raise the zag
02-26-2019, 04:00 PM

I still feel he's just scratching the surface on who he could become. . .

Rui can be so much more than he already is, and Coach Few has eluded to this as well.

Brandon Clarke can develop up a 3pt shot yet you know who and what your are getting.

I feel Rui had much more room to improve. The defense is obvious but getting better but he has so many ways he can score. He will be a very good NBA player, I just don't think we will see it til he is 25ish.

stretch
02-26-2019, 04:30 PM
I don't agree with the Rui comparison with OG Anunoby. Similar size, different style of game. Rudy Gay is the comp that comes my mind.

Zags_Fanatic
02-26-2019, 06:42 PM

Not to mention it's a bit disingenuous to put up his career 3P% when he has improved so much this season. Most NBA scouts are going to focus more on an improvement from 19% to 44% as a sign that he has potential to become a good shooter.

raise the zag
02-26-2019, 11:27 PM
I don't agree with the Rui comparison with OG Anunoby. Similar size, different style of game. Rudy Gay is the comp that comes my mind.

Gay is a great comparison. Never thought of him.

OG and Rui are built from the same cloth, yet Rui is much more complete player on offense. Never seen OG take it coast to coast, dribble between legs, spin, and score with either hand and look like he is barely breaking a sweat.

When Rui really turns it on, there simply aren't many 6'8" players who are better, or more unstoppable. At any level, yet Sometimes he plays too cool for school, which I think he thinks is what the NBA wants. To look smooth, and he does, but sometimes too relaxed on some level.

Brandon Clarke might be the better NBA player...next year, yet if/when a NBA coach lights a little more fire under Rui, to play with a bit more abandon, he could be a 20 ppg scorer even in NBA.

mgadfly
02-27-2019, 07:00 AM
My opinion is that Clark is the safer pick because you know you are getting a versatile defender that can score some points without having the play called for him. He is the perfect type of PF for a team with a ball dominant star player. Rui is one of the few players in the draft that could be the guy on an nba team that the offense is built around. He makes really difficult plays look easy, which should not be mistaken for easy plays. Plus his defensive liabilities don’t translate as harshly to the NBA with its shorter shot clock and greater dependence on spread and isolation or pick and roll offenses. That’s where Rui has been pretty good defensively. He’s been much less good as a help defender against motion offenses. But he will hardly ever be put in that situation at the next level. Rui has the higher NBA ceiling while Clark is much more of a sure thing but I think who goes first is more dependent on what the team picking at #8 through #12 really needs. One more athletic defender to make a run at the playoffs or a potential star to build a team around.

webspinnre
02-27-2019, 07:46 AM
Clarke is definitely the safer pick as he already has a clear NBA ready skill with his defense. While he may not be a superstar, he'll definitely be a contributor, even if he doesn't continue to develop (which I think unlikely, given what he's shown us). Rui has more upside just as far as his fluid athleticism, but there's also more of a chance that everything won't fully come together.

Goshzagit
02-27-2019, 07:54 AM
Clarke is definitely the safer pick as he already has a clear NBA ready skill with his defense. While he may not be a superstar, he'll definitely be a contributor, even if he doesn't continue to develop (which I think unlikely, given what he's shown us). Rui has more upside just as far as his fluid athleticism, but there's also more of a chance that everything won't fully come together.

If I'm seeking immediate help, to shore up defense, add some athleticism up front, I'm picking Clarke.

If I'm rebuilding mode, thinking 3-4 yrs ahead, I'm picking Rui hands down. Plus, if I'm a GM, I thinking about monopolizing the Japanese market for my team, in addition to asian-american fanbase. Imagine the jersey sales, following, and owning an entire market.

Ezag
02-27-2019, 08:37 AM
Gay is a great comparison.
Hey, no need for name calling!!! :)