PDA

View Full Version : 2019-2020 Depth Chart

former1dog
02-26-2019, 09:22 AM
I've been enjoying the Whelping Box so much and thinking about these incoming players and I so I thought it would be fun to do a depth chart for next year.

I'm assuming we lose Jones, Perkins, Tillie, Hachimura and Clarke.

My caveat is that I'm not including any speculation about players who might be coming, just ones we know for sure-

PG - Ravet, Norvelle, Foster
SG - Norvelle, Kispert, Ayayi
SF- Kispert, Watson, Arlauskas(RS?)
PF - Timme, Watson, Petrusev
C - Petrusev, Ballo, Zakharov(RS?)

hooter73
02-26-2019, 11:53 AM
"3 of these things are not like the others..."

We are high level point guard deficient and I dont believe a grad transfer is going to make or break the difference. NWG was amazing, but he also spent a year here before playing any time on the court learning the system, practicing with the guys, refining himself within Few's style ect. Norvell and Ayayi are not point guards and we do not have anyone else that on board that are top 25 let alone top 10 or 5, nationally ranked good enough. Just the long and short of it. We will be hurting in that department big time next year no matter what.

ZagsObserver
02-26-2019, 12:05 PM

We are high level point guard deficient and I dont believe a grad transfer is going to make or break the difference. NWG was amazing, but he also spent a year here before playing any time on the court learning the system, practicing with the guys, refining himself within Few's style ect. Norvell and Ayayi are not point guards and we do not have anyone else that on board that are top 25 let alone top 10 or 5, nationally ranked good enough. Just the long and short of it. We will be hurting in that department big time next year no matter what.

Agreed. It’s just to what extent.

I just wish the potential deficiency wasn’t at pg, of all positions.

Grand Valley Zag
02-26-2019, 12:10 PM
1--Norvelle, Ravet
2--Ayayi, Norvelle

3--Kispert, Watson
4--Timme, Watson

5--Petrusev, Ballo

They never have more than 8 guys in the regular rotation. This leaves Arlauskas, Foster, and Pavel without significant pt.

I would not be surprised if they got a high-level guard that pushes Ayayi or Ravet out of the regular rotation.

Obviously I'm just guessing on the rotation, but I'm reasonably confident that there will be 8 guys in it.

ZagsObserver
02-26-2019, 12:37 PM
1--Norvelle, Ravet
2--Ayayi, Norvelle

3--Kispert, Watson
4--Timme, Watson

5--Petrusev, Ballo

They never have more than 8 guys in the regular rotation. This leaves Arlauskas, Foster, and Pavel without significant pt.

I would not be surprised if they got a high-level guard that pushes Ayayi or Ravet out of the regular rotation.

Obviously I'm just guessing on the rotation, but I'm reasonably confident that there will be 8 guys in it.

I’d probably guess 9. I know that history favors 7 or 8, but so many of the faces are new (an unprecedented number, really), and I expect foul trouble to be an issue upfront. Rotating capable, young bigs in and out in positions 1-3 will be an advantage. It’ll surely take a while to figure out what works, and that will ultimately dictate numbers.

Mr Vulture
02-26-2019, 12:42 PM
1--Norvelle, Ravet
2--Ayayi, Norvelle

3--Kispert, Watson
4--Timme, Watson

5--Petrusev, Ballo

I would be willing to bet that Zhakarov and Arlauskas both play more minutes than Ballo next year. While Ballo has a high ceiling, he is extremely raw, much like Rui was.

Based on the original criteria of only using committed or returning guys I'd expect the following.

Starters:
PG - Foster or Ravet
SG - Norvell
SF - Kispert
PF - Timme or Watson
C - Petrusev

Rotation:
Timme or Watson
Foster or Ravet
Zhakarov
Arlauskas
Ayayi
Ballo

I highly doubt anyone redshirts from the class this year.

Grand Valley Zag
02-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Oh, I'm not saying anyone's going to redshirt, just that I can't remember any Zags rotation that had more than 8 guys playing significant minutes, so I expect that to continue next year.

Maybe Zhakarov and Arlauskas play more than Ballo. I can't tell from what little I've seen of those three.

Grand Valley Zag
02-26-2019, 01:08 PM
I’d probably guess 9. I know that history favors 7 or 8, but so many of the faces are new (an unprecedented number, really), and I expect foul trouble to be an issue upfront. Rotating capable, young bigs in and out in positions 1-3 will be an advantage. It’ll surely take a while to figure out what works, and that will ultimately dictate numbers.

Could be. We shall see.

Mr Vulture
02-26-2019, 02:44 PM
Oh, I'm not saying anyone's going to redshirt, just that I can't remember any Zags rotation that had more than 8 guys playing significant minutes, so I expect that to continue next year.

Maybe Zhakarov and Arlauskas play more than Ballo. I can't tell from what little I've seen of those three.

That's certainly fair. None of us have seen nearly enough of all three of those guys to know how they are going to play from day one. Mostly what we see are highlight videos on those types. On the flip side we have seen a lot of Timme, Watson, and Ravet so we can make a more informed opinion. Although I think some of those are even split, particularly on Ravet. For the record, I think Ravet will be a solid player at GU and better than Wade. With that said, I don't think we saw what Wade will be truly be as he had missed two years of basketball plus had the shoulder injury that all hurt his development.

thespywhozaggedme
02-26-2019, 02:52 PM
1--Norvelle, Ravet
2--Ayayi, Norvelle

3--Kispert, Watson
4--Timme, Watson

5--Petrusev, Ballo

There's no"e" on the end of Norvell's name and are you saying that he's gonna start at the pg and Ayayi is starting at sg? 'Cause that aint happening.

IowaSERE
02-26-2019, 02:53 PM
If we don't get a grad transfer pg, then snacks will play 25 min at pg next year

thespywhozaggedme
02-26-2019, 02:54 PM
There's a better chance of Foster and/or Ayayi not being on the team than either of them starting next season.

Grand Valley Zag
02-26-2019, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the spelling correction, Tom Petty.

If we don't bring in another point, Zack's playing the 1. Bank it.

I agree Ayayi starting at the 2 is unlikely, but that's because we'll be bringing in someone else. Of everyone we have now, who else would it be? Playing Ravet and Kispert together for significant minutes would present some defensive problems.

TheOtherGreatOne
02-26-2019, 03:13 PM
What happens if Rui, Tillie, and Clarke all return ?

zagsfanforlife
02-26-2019, 03:18 PM
There's a better chance of Foster and/or Ayayi not being on the team than either of them starting next season.

I agree with that. I see no universe that Ayayi or Foster start next year. I doubt either gets many meaningful minutes. Definitely not Foster.

I cant imagine any of these starting lineups happening either. A PG will be brought in. No way Few lets that kind of talent waste away with the likes of Ravet or Foster or Ayayi Starting at PG.

Grand Valley Zag
02-26-2019, 03:32 PM
I agree we're very likely to bring in a grad transfer guard. This was a hypothetical exercise.

Mr Vulture
02-27-2019, 09:34 AM

It's not going to happen, but if it did, we'd welcome them back with open arms and make it work.

webspinnre
02-27-2019, 10:52 AM

We throw an enormous party and start planning our NCAA championship parade for next year.

TheOtherGreatOne
02-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Would be sweet wouldn't it ?

strikenowhere
02-27-2019, 11:29 AM
We throw an enormous party and start planning our NCAA championship parade for next year.

Would be a colossal waste of time & energy to do that if there's no stud grad PG transferring in.

TheOtherGreatOne
02-27-2019, 12:07 PM
Would be a colossal waste of time & energy to do that if there's no stud grad PG transferring in.

What point guard looking for a school would not love to be running that team.

thespywhozaggedme
02-27-2019, 12:17 PM

With Rui, Clarke and Tille returning, you could run the point and we'd win it all.

former1dog
02-28-2019, 07:31 AM

See my prediction in the Ravet thread. He's going to surprise you and convert, this is my prediction!

hooter73
02-28-2019, 04:13 PM
See my prediction in the Ravet thread. He's going to surprise you and convert, this is my prediction!
Iíve seen him play a few times and again today, Iíll stick with my assessment that we are past needing a throwback guard and have no high level PG in the system for next season.