PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Formula - the future?

Stache
02-25-2019, 06:58 AM
If “one and done” is a thing of the past, then does a pipeline to international talent with the need for a year or three of exposure & development become a more desirable formula for recurrent, top notch college basketball? If most 5 stars skip a single year at Kentucky, Duke or Kansas, then does that mean that an international pipeline is a more preferred program formula?

jazzdelmar
02-25-2019, 07:00 AM
If “one and done” is a thing of the past, then does a pipeline to international talent with the need for a year or three of exposure & development become a more desirable formula for recurrent, top notch college basketball? If most 5 stars skip a single year at Kentucky, Duke or Kansas, then does that mean that an international pipeline is a more preferred program formula?

There have been many 1 and done internationals and the occasional Doncic. Don't see anything changing.

GrizZAG
02-25-2019, 07:22 AM
Schools that excel in “Devopment” of players should gain in this scenario??
Agree? We are very good in that area no?

Reborn
02-25-2019, 07:52 AM
There have been many 1 and done internationals and the occasional Doncic. Don't see anything changing.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Jazz.

amaronizag
02-25-2019, 07:52 AM
Every year there's a new crop of graduating High School basketball players. The best players all want to start. With the existing one and done policy, the new HS grads can sign on with the blue bloods, be the center of attention for one year, and then off to the NBA. IF the rules change and two years of college is required, last years crop of top HS grads will still be playing for the blue bloods so the new HS crop will sign up at a college where they can start. Compared to the existing situation, this could have the effect of spreading out the talent a little more and leveling the playing field to a larger extent among the top 25 teams. It should increase the talent level in college basketball, and spread the talent out. All to the benefit of the fans, colleges, etc. Another possible scenario is that many of the potential college players will blow off college and try to enter the NBA directly or the D League so colleges will never enroll them. That would dilute the talent in college basketball. Hard to guess whether the proposed new rule will have a positive or negative effect. Is it broke and does it need fixing?

JPtheBeasta
02-25-2019, 08:09 AM
It lets the NCAA off the hook in regards to making a decision to pay players, at least for the time being. There are plenty of very good college players who don't make it to the NBA that I think college will still be entertaining to watch. It should clean up the shoe company payola business and corrupt AAU system somewhat, too. I think it is at least worth trying. Just before the previous rule change, when players were leaving after high school en masse (relatively speaking) to the NBA it was really the NBA that suffered, not college, as NBA teams were drafting kids who weren't ready and current players didn't like it.

jazzdelmar
02-25-2019, 08:25 AM

Love ya, Bornie, but get no gratification from :Dhearing that.....

Reborn
02-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Love ya, Bornie, but get no gratification from :Dhearing that.....

Not trying to make you feel good. Just felt like there was no reason to type what you already typed. Feeling a little lazy this morning as I have a cold to deal with.

bartruff1
02-25-2019, 08:55 AM

And mine....

thespywhozaggedme
02-25-2019, 09:06 AM
Isn't it straight to NBA from high school or 2 years in college starting in 2022?

So the top 1-10 will declare for the draft and the next tier, the college "cream of the crop" will still go to the blue bloods. What's changing exactly as far as recruiting?

jazzdelmar
02-25-2019, 09:08 AM
Not trying to make you feel good. Just felt like there was no reason to type what you already typed. Feeling a little lazy this morning as I have a cold to deal with.

Just ribbing you, Borns.

LongIslandZagFan
02-25-2019, 09:51 AM
One and dones existed before the rule... will exist after it goes away. Always going to be the kids that want to either a) go to college (if only for a year) or b) feels they need the year of development.