PDA

View Full Version : I Feel Good

Bowser
11-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Finished my pre-season preparations over the weekend, carting in the last several cases of scotch. I am optimistic but have no rational reason for it. Of course, the absence of reason has never stopped me. And since I graduated from a place with apparently low academic standards, it should be no surprise.

I am in mid-season form and here is my report.

Shooting Baskets: Over the years there has been some correlation between my playground exploits and Zag shooting percentage. You will be happy to know my 3 point shooting, particularly from the corner, is dead on. Zag77 will be happy to know my free throw shooting sucks because of its inverse relation to the teams FT shooting percentage. That's garbanzo calzone for you, my friend.

Beer Bottle Throwing: I had given up throwing beer bottles at the fence posts. Mrs. B thought it was stupid. And because a GU student injured someone at a party throwing a beer bottle, I thought it was time to park that one. You know how I like to set a good example. But some traditions die hard. Hefeweisen stills gets the best arc.

Cigar Chomping: Like the beer bottles, I did this alot in the late 90s. Getting the right Cubans has been difficult. Even donations to the Scooter Libby defense fund couldn't budge the State Department. During the Clinton years, a significant number of cigars were embargoed and used inappropriately.

Pledge to God: Even though it's not Lent, I told God I would read Ulysses next year if the Zags win the WCC tournament. At least its not Tolstoy. Should I have chosen Toni Morrison or Art Thiel?

Not being superstitious, I told Mrs. B she did not have to wear the lucky socks this year. They really lost the mojo after our dog chewed them. And they smell like mushrooms.

I have been listening to lots of show tunes.

I do miss some of the old traditions. RusRob always had a wine suggestion for each game. Birddog would supply some recipe for either a dessert [often a cobbler or a buckle] or something with chiles in it. And GoZags would post every article on the Zags written in the English language. Some simian would tell us how to make a burrito. And Jane would chase off all the other women.

So here's to an exciting season of hoops. Let's have no injuries and another good run. Expect the best and want the best from our opponents, but crush them nonetheless. I love basketball season.

Even though I will most likely irritate and infuriate many of you at some time, I expect to be

Your Pal,

Bowser

for better and worse.

gozagswoohoo
11-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Post Of The Week

former1dog
11-07-2007, 08:26 AM
I have been listening to lots of show tunes.

Oh, that's a grand idea and I'm certain it will help out with our defensive intensity. Can you please recommend a few good LP's?

sonuvazag
11-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Finally, an op to rep Bowser.

sdzag
11-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah, We have the Growler of Barley Wine ready from Stone Brewing Company, then doing Yellow Fizzy water after that. But I expect most of our security deposite to be gone by X-Mas. Love Zag Basketball

drnoe
11-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Good one Bowser. I too have some traditional behavioral quirks during hoops season. Same underwear until the Zags lose their first game. I switch brands of pale ale after each loss...I will commence the season with Acme IPA and it wouldn't bother me at all to stick with Acme for the entire season. On game days, I don Zagwear at the office. People don't like me the day after a loss. When the Zags win the WCC, I promise to read a book. If the Zags win it all, I promise to write a book.

SteelCityZag
11-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Bows,

You'll enjoy Ulysses. It's a hoot.

Reborn
11-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Good to hear from you Bowser. I've been waiting and hoping. There are three things I need in order to know that all is well in Zagdom, and that we are NOW ready to play for real....one is the bunnies, one is a WE ARE DOOMED messaged from BZ, and the other is a nice letter from Bowser.....I love your stories. Hope to hear from you again soon.

lothar98zag
11-07-2007, 01:23 PM
nice

Reborn
11-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Ooops...forgot one.....THE COWBELLS!!!:)

MacZag
11-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Talk about great talent on the team....there is great talent on this board....it is the best......So looking forward to the season :D

surfmonkey89
11-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Bowser, I'm still waiting for you to fully transcribe my burrito post so we can re-edumacate the yunguns on how to do a proper throwdown. Apparently the main ingredient is ignorance, as when I was originally writing it I had no idea it would make the Pantheon next to Jane (would Jane even allow anyone...anything...next to her?).

I too am approaching mid-season form:
- cleared out my schedule? Check. I'm on leave from work until April (not health-related btw, they offered it to me instead of having me quit).

- Seeing clearly? Check. Just had Lasik, so no more comparisons to Roy Orbison thankyouverymuch

- Gut ripped out and stomped upon by a woman? Check. That always seems to coincide with Midnight Madness for some reason. Maybe it's the face paint and screaming "Let's Go, Bulldogs!" at the stroke of midnight that turns them off. At any rate, the word "stroke" will be a major part of my life for the time being.

- Cynical? That's a 24/7/365 deal gentlemen. I was born ready.

Let's strap 'em on and start hoisting 'em boys. It's gonna be a wild ride.

From the top of the key, Rick Barry style,
Surf

former1dog
11-07-2007, 05:03 PM
At any rate, the word "stroke" will be a major part of my life for the time being.

Wow, just wow..... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

BongKrosby
11-07-2007, 08:10 PM
I guess the Old School has been put back in session. Figured if Bowser and SurfMonkey are posting that I better at least let you all know my expections.

This year could be very, very good but I view it as one of building for something special. We will show flashes of briliance at times and have sereral others of utter frustration. But, we finally have the pieces in place to take the next step if it all comes together. We need experience and leadership. Hopefully both will come together this year. If not, at least they will build to a 2008-2009 that will have NCAA championship expections.

Enjoy,

Bong

Grey Goose and tonic, by the way.

Bocco
11-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Beer Bottle Throwing: I had given up throwing beer bottles at the fence posts. Mrs. B thought it was stupid. And because a GU student injured someone at a party throwing a beer bottle, I thought it was time to park that one. You know how I like to set a good example. But some traditions die hard. Hefeweisen stills gets the best arc.

I sure hope the bottles were empty. I'd hate to think that you would waste a good beer......