• Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs BYU Post Game thoughts, feelings and analysis

Gonzaga 102
    BYU 68

Wow! What a game. And to think I was really nervous about this game. Yeah! I was, and I was nervous for about 2/3 of the game. The announcers kept talking about how BYU came back from 13 points down last year. And later on how Duke came back from someone after being 20 points down. But halfway through the second half the Zags began to show who they are.

Now this is the way to celebrate this team in their last home game this year. The fans were unbelievable and the team was even more crazy. Talk about entertaining. This team really knows how to do that. I loved seeing all the smiles and joy, screams of joy and celebration. Celebrating each other, both players and fans. I really wish I had been there. This is my favorite Gonzaga Senior night game.

Josh was totally on fire. 21 points and 7 assists. I guess now that he has the assist record he can feel free to score. Did he miss any shots? Norvell had 25 points including 4 three pointers, Did Zach miss any shots? Nice to see the guards scoring the way they did tonight. I think we'll need this in the future. And Rui scored 23. That's right. Three players who scored twenty points. Not bad, hugh? The bench scored 17 points tonight, and they too put on a show. Crandall may have had the prettiest play of the year dribbling the ball through his legs twice and laid the ball in for a basket while his defender fell 15 feet backwards. Crandall had 8 points and Jones 7. This was the best game Jones played in a long time. He needs to continue to play this way. He really was tough tonight. Crandall also. This is how we will need these two guys to play as we head into the toughest part of the season.

The Zags only committed 6 turnovers, which may have been a season low. They shot 54% for the game and 45% from beyond the 3 point line. We made 9-20 threes. Wish he had gotten one more. Kispert had a really nice block.
    I will enjoy watching this one over again for sure.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I really don't recall a lot of what Michaelson said on the post game show. But he had glowing things to say about Crandall as he noted the steal Geno came up with the got that Zags really running in the second half was huge. He compared Kisperts block to Crandalls in the UT game. He said it was amazing how BC was stuck on 4 points and the bang, bang and some free throws and he has another double, double. He said what a way for Perk to close out his senior year at home with 21 and 7 and only 2 TO's. He complimented BYU for really making things tough in the first half. He noted every time the Zags got up to 11, 13, 15 up the Cougars nailed some threes and kept within shouting distance whereas most of the rest of the WCC never recovered when the Zags threw one of their patented haymakers. However, in the second half when things were in the 11 point range GU put a 21-3 run on BYU and effectively that was that. Wish I could recall more. After the games the team as a whole ran along the front of the Kennel Club and high fived the Clubbers. It was something I had not seen for a while. Crandall thanked the fans for making him feel like a Zag even though he only had the one year here. Jones was effusive in his thanks to coaches, the fans, the Kennel Club. Perkins said he could not believe how fast his 5 years went but his parting comment was, "WE ARE NOT DONE YET"!

Comment

• SorenTodd45
      Banned
      • Jan 2019

Perkins was the star of the show, no doubt. But it was a team win. The 2nd half was not like the first half. Let us not get complacent. We have 2 road games coming up.

Comment

• bartruff1
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

#1 in the AP Poll...ESPN loves us...

Comment

• GonzaGAW
          Zag for Life
          • Aug 2012

- I just love seeing how much fun and love the players have for each other.

- perkins game tonight must be rated a 9, so good he had a dandy game his last time in the kennel
          - geno.....when he came didn't we all talk about how he lit us up for 28 and was a great scorer, but gosh he could score 2 points a game, and so what, it is his defense and passing ability that makes us so much better. when he is on the floor and josh is off, he keeps the offense rolling.
          - Jeremy, love it, last shot on the floor is a made 3, he is only shooting 50% from 3 this year, and not on a very small sample size.

Comment

• Zagceo
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

I feel sorry for BYU

said by no one ever

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                I feel sorry for BYU

said by no one ever
                Not me.

Nick Emery pulled the same trick as Hansel (Zoolander) on that move by Geno...left his jockstrap on the court. lol

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

I don't recall seeing the refs talk to players as much as they did tonight. I don't know if it was extra chippy, if there was a lot of trash-talking/complaining to the officials, or what. Speaking of a lot talking... I can't believe Rose wasn't tossed. One ref just leaned in an let Rose tear into him-- and this was after the bench already got a technical. Maybe it was just loud in there and Rose was asking for advice on how to defend the Zags' baseline alley-oop to the cutting guard (nice wrinkle to throw lobs to Kispert and Crandall when the guard rotated up to help out on the high ball screen)

I think BYU must have had to put out a lot of effort in the first 3/4 of the game and got gassed because they looked terrible at the end, there. BYU was racking up fouls but I thought they had quite a bit of depth down low with fouls to give. They actually played pretty good defense on the ball screen action for the most part but I think the relentless nature of the Zags just wore every one down.

Perkins, as great of an offensive game he played, had a hard time defending Hawes. I'm surprised they didn't switch up that assignment earlier. BYU struggled to score when Childs or Hawes weren't doing their thing.

Although it is extremely tempting, I wont pick on Emery any more than to reminisce about the aforementioned Crandall cross-over and the ankle-breaker Norvell put on him (too bad he missed).

I loved the Kispert block and could watch that over, and over, and over...

The emotion the team showed was great and I really enjoyed this one.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Senior speeches

Comment

• kdaleb
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                      thank you for sharing... was looking for those!

Comment

• SorenTodd45
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2019

Killian was there with his civvies on, OMG, talk about a team support, I pray he comes back for his senior year.

Comment

• 23dpg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Here’s another one from the same reporter.

Jeremy Jones, “I didn’t know the game of basketball like I do now after being around Few and the guys.”
                          Geno Crandall, “Even better (than expected).....best few months of my life so far.”

Really touching.
                          Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• Zags11
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

The stadium was rocking and the boys were balling. I loved being there! This team is special.

Comment

• Plainsman
                              Kennel Club
                              • Nov 2014

Absolutely filthy crossover by Geno to send Naar careening into the stands.

Comment

Working...
                              X