GU vs Pepperdine: Post game analysis (your thoughts and or feelings about the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

GU vs Pepperdine: Post game analysis (your thoughts and or feelings about the game)

Gonzaga 92
    Pepperdine 64

I really enjoyed the first half and part of the second.

The first half was awesome and exactly what I thought it would be like to watch. The Zags had 53 points at the half, and had all their basketball skills on display as well as their truly beautiful athletic ability. Rui scored 21 and Norvell 17 in the first half, and both of them were on fire. It was fun to watch. Perkins broke the all-time assist record also by halftime with 7 assists. He finished with 9 assists and ten points. Rui finished with 23 and Norvell 21. Clarke had 17 points and 11 rebounds. Gonzaga shot 63% from the field for the game and 38% from beyond the 3 point line. VERY GOOD SHOOTING as I believed I'd get to see. Norvell and even Rui were really knocking down 3 pointers. Norvell has really been on fire in the last five games. I love how he's playing.

I didn't enjoy the last ten minutes when the subs were coming in. I thought Petrusev played good, and that was it for the subs. I am NOT enjoying how Jones is playing lately. To me he has no energy at all, and seems totally disinterested in playing D and rebounding. Few finally took him out and put Kispert back in.

Gonzaga held Pepperdine to 38% shooting for the game and just 30% from beyond the arc. Saturday night will be our last home game of the year. Man! This season has gone so fast. It must have been fun.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Zagceo
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

24 * 28 1-6 1-5 2-2 0-2 2 1 0 1 1 0 5
    22 10 1-1 1-1 1-2 1-3 4 0 1 0 0 0 4

tale of the tape

Comment

• GrizZAG
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2009

Petro wasn’t ready for the lob twice. He needs to be ready all the time. Pep played with abandon and aggression causing more tie ups than I’ve ever seen in a game. Lots of effort there. Perkins was amazing. Another nice win. Vegas called the spread spot on.
      One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• Zaglaw
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post

tale of the tape
        Kispert did a lot tonight that doesn't show up in the stats.

Comment

• willandi
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post

tale of the tape
          Originally posted by Zaglaw View Post
          Kispert did a lot tonight that doesn't show up in the stats.
          If they don't expect you to shoot, the defense sags.
          Despite not shooting well, they have to respect Kispert.
          They know JJ won't shoot, so they leave him alone. It's always a surprise.
          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2008

This team has been such a joy to watch and they really are a thing of beauty on both ends when it is clicking. I'm trying to stop and smell the roses a bit as the season comes to a close. If not for a lull in the second half when they were hunting Perkins' record setting assist, this team would have blasted past 100 points tonight.

Congratulations to Perkins. It is ironic that the player that many thought was an out of position shooting guard sets the all-time assist record. I'm glad he got the record tonight so they can just focus on beating BYU on senior night (no small task).

I thought Ayayi looked fluid and comfortable in limited minutes, albeit in garbage time. I wouldn't count him out getting minutes next year.

Petrusev is super talented but is stuggling as a freshman putting together consistent performances. As mentioned elsewhere, he had two dunks if he rolls to the basket like he's supposed to.

Norvell's step back is NBA quality with just a little bit more consistency. It's atypical for me to think this way, but he was shooting so well tonight I wish he would have hunted his shot more in the second half.

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
              Norvell's step back is NBA quality with just a little bit more consistency. It's atypical for me to think this way, but he was shooting so well tonight I wish he would have hunted his shot more in the second half.
              Norvell and Rui played so well the first half (21 and 17). I'm sure that both could have scored a lot more in the 2nd half if they had wanted to. It seems to me when one of the Zags has a lot of points at the half that they defer to others in the 2nd half. Pepperdine had no answer for either Rui or Norvell. It was really nice to see them play so well in the first half (the whole team). Pepperdine showed some good offense but just doesn't have the kind of athletes that Gonzaga has. They have some talented undersclassmen; so I feel they have a good foundation for next year. They have two pretty good coaches there, and that's a good start.

Go Zags!!!
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Working...
              X