PDA

View Full Version : What can we learn from tonight's game?

finechina2003
11-07-2007, 08:02 AM
For me, the primary area that I am hoping to get some insight on is our perimeter defense. How well will we defend the 3-point line? A team like Emporia State can't match up with us inside, but they do have the ability to light it up from 3-point range. I also think that we have the best talent in recent memory to defend the 3-point line. The first test is tonight.

cggonzaga
11-07-2007, 08:21 AM
As long as we don't play that stupid zone I think we'll defend it pretty well. I know we'll play the zone though until Emporia St hits about 5 threes. Maybe Ray G has cleaned it up and we'll be able to defend it better. I wish we'd just play man to man though.

kitzbuel
11-07-2007, 08:31 AM
I would bet that we won't see any real defensive innovation in this game given that it is still an exhibition. Few does have a tendancy to hold his cards close when he can.

trizag
11-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Im excited to see/hear what Ray G is going to bring to the defense tonight.

The benefit of tonight's game is that it is NOT televised. So, holding cards close is good for an opening game but its also an opportunity to try your new plays without all your opponents getting the tape.

Mark said in the paper that he'd probably start, Pendo, Kuso, Bouldin, Pargo and Downs.

CDC84
11-07-2007, 08:54 AM
I think people are making too much of all these exhibition game upsets. If Emporia State comes out and beats Gonzaga by 50, I honestly could care less. I mean that will all honesty. If Gonzaga gets blasted, it means whatever the coaches experimented with is probably not going to work when the real games start happening, and they will discard it.

This is an exhibition game. It doesn't count. Experimenting with different lineups, different defenses, different offensive sets, etc., and seeing if they work or not if far more important than doing anything and everything to win the game and win big.

There is genuinely a part of me that wishes these games weren't played in front of people because some people immediately write off their team just based on what they do in an exhibition game. On the other hand, it's kind of necessary that the team play these games in front of people because the newcomers need to get a taste of what it feels like to play in front of a packed house.

cggonzaga
11-07-2007, 09:02 AM
There is genuinely a part of me that wishes these games weren't played in front of people because some people immediately write off their team just based on what they do in an exhibition game. On the other hand, it's kind of necessary that the team play these games in front of people because the newcomers need to get a taste of what it feels like to play in front of a packed house.

Agreed and agreed CDC

former1dog
11-07-2007, 09:08 AM
I gotta say this is one of the very few times I'm going to disagree with you CDC. Although an exhibition game doesn't count towards your official record, an exhibition loss (which to my recollection would be unprecedented in recent history for Gonzaga) would be a pretty tough psychological pill to take for a relatively young team just trying to develop an identity.

Our team does need to experiment with various line ups, offensive and defensive sets, etc. But, our team also needs to start the season out on the right footing, which includes a win over a team they should beat handily. I can't see a loss to Emporia State as a net benefit to our team.

Just my opinion, as always.

cggonzaga
11-07-2007, 09:28 AM
You don't think Ohio St learned an extremely valuable lesson yesterday Former? Positives can always come from bads. I would rather we won by 50 though myself.

former1dog
11-07-2007, 09:30 AM
You don't think Ohio St learned an extremely valuable lesson yesterday Former? Positives can always come from bads. I would rather we won by 50 though myself.

I'm certain they learned a lot. The point being, though, it is in my opinion a net negative psychologically for them to have lost to a team they should have beat. Again, that's my opinion. It could be and probably is wrong, but I'm sticking to it. ;)