PDA

View Full Version : Suggs + Strawther

zagsfanforlife
02-18-2019, 07:53 PM
This will get posted to the whelping box shortly, but i am shocked no one posted about it yet. Jalen Suggs posted on his instagram story a picture of Him and Strawther in Zags uniforms and @ signed Strawther, saying "What if?" and then his next post was a conversation between him and Dom Harris saying "i am going to be really hurt if you don't commit".

I have a feeling a commitment is coming soon, and from the #2 point guard in the whole nation?? WOW

MDABE80
02-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Either with Dom gets us a very high ranking backcourt. All 3? Probably not likely. But this would be a huge step toward a “best backcourt in the nation” statement.

zagsfanforlife
02-18-2019, 07:59 PM
Either with Dom gets us a very high ranking backcourt. All 3? Probably not likely. But this would be a huge step toward a “best backcourt in the nation” statement.

Worth noting that Strawther also posed the question on his instagram "What y'all think about a Suggs/Strawther backcourt?" and tagged Suggs in it....

thespywhozaggedme
02-18-2019, 08:51 PM
This will get posted to the whelping box shortly, but i am shocked no one posted about it yet. Jalen Suggs posted on his instagram story a picture of Him and Strawther in Zags uniforms and @ signed Strawther, saying "What if?" and then his next post was a conversation between him and Dom Harris saying "i am going to be really hurt if you don't commit".

I have a feeling a commitment is coming soon, and from the #2 point guard in the whole nation?? WOW

Why didn’t you post the link?

zagsfanforlife
02-18-2019, 08:53 PM
Why didn’t you post the link?

Don’t know how to post an ig story but can easily go on his page and view it right now.

webspinnre
02-18-2019, 09:37 PM
Posted at 3:29 today:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63979-2020-Julian-Strawther-Visit-Scheduled-2-9-19&p=1433330#post1433330

zagsfanforlife
02-18-2019, 09:42 PM

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63979-2020-Julian-Strawther-Visit-Scheduled-2-9-19&p=1433330#post1433330

That’s not the pic jalen posted though. Jalen posted a picture of him and Julian in Gonzaga uniforms. Come on someone is more tech savvy than me. Go on his ig story (Suggs) and post it

zagsfanforlife
02-18-2019, 09:59 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/15YSy4Zr/image-123986672.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/fWfTQwL8/image-123986672-2.jpg

zagsfanforlife
02-18-2019, 09:59 PM

Look at me being all high tech

OCzag
02-18-2019, 10:08 PM
That’s not the pic jalen posted though. Jalen posted a picture of him and Julian in Gonzaga uniforms. Come on someone is more tech savvy than me. Go on his ig story (Suggs) and post it

I’ve been trying to post my screen grab of the IG story you’re referencing but can’t seem to do it from my iPhone. I don’t want to read to much into just a social media post, but seems like they are both waiting on the other to commit. In other words, feels like they’re more likely to come together than only having come commit to GU. Although I may just be daydreaming of both of them committing too often...

thespywhozaggedme
02-19-2019, 05:51 AM

WOW!!! This is HUGE!!!! Thanks for posting it. I just hope it's not like the Brandon Williams where he posted a pic of him and our FF plaque with the caption, "I gotta get me one of these" and many of us took it to mean him in a Zags uni. But this one is even more concrete, it has pictures of them in the uniform itself. And then Harris's tweet of, "that's the plan" when someone asked him if he, Suggs and Strawther together. Wow, Wow, Wow!

thespywhozaggedme
02-19-2019, 05:52 AM

That's not the one we were talking about. This one is from Suggs, not Strawther and even more telling; it's now posted in this thread and gets me really, really, excited.

zagsfanforlife
02-19-2019, 06:38 AM
That's not the one we were talking about. This one is from Suggs, not Strawther and even more telling; it's now posted in this thread and gets me really, really, excited.

There was also a tweet from a mid major account that said something along the lines of Strawther and Suggs give hints they will be zags and both of them liked that article....

Also, Dom Jalen and Julian were alll posting last night on IG , tagging each other in posts and such. Seems too coincidental..

I may be reading waaaaaay too much into the social media accounts of 17 year old kids but there sure is a lot of smoke.

caldwellzag
02-19-2019, 06:44 AM
There was also a tweet from a mid major account that said something along the lines of Strawther and Suggs give hints they will be zags and both of them liked that article....

Also, Dom Jalen and Julian were alll posting last night on IG , tagging each other in posts and such. Seems too coincidental..

I may be reading waaaaaay too much into the social media accounts of 17 year old kids but there sure is a lot of smoke.

No one is reading to much into this, this is a very real possibility and with Harris already committed and being close to these guys, we could be looking at one of the best trio of guards we have seen at GU. Be patient and see, but if I had to call it right now Suggs at GU and when he commits Strawther follows. Give me a Crystal Ball on 247 I would put it in on both.

DixieZag
02-19-2019, 06:54 AM
Are all of these guys "next year" players?

former1dog
02-19-2019, 06:57 AM
Are all of these guys "next year" players?

Class of 2020 for Suggs, Strawther and Harris.

thespywhozaggedme
02-19-2019, 07:13 AM
No one is reading to much into this, this is a very real possibility and with Harris already committed and being close to these guys, we could be looking at one of the best trio of guards we have seen at GU. Be patient and see, but if I had to call it right now Suggs at GU and when he commits Strawther follows. Give me a Crystal Ball on 247 I would put it in on both.

Any time frame on when we might have a commit(s)?

jazzdelmar
02-19-2019, 07:15 AM
Twice burned by Tucson-lover Brandon Williams, call me a hopeful pessimist. Lotta "recruiting" to be done yet, if you know what mean.

thespywhozaggedme
02-19-2019, 07:37 AM
Twice burned by Tucson-lover Brandon Williams, call me a hopeful pessimist. Lotta "recruiting" to be done yet, if you know what mean.

Difference is Zona was always his first love. Not the case with S&S

EEzag
02-19-2019, 07:40 AM

Yup. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. B-Will still baffles me.

That being said, Few and co can't let up on this trio. visits and visits and visits.

Did the MCD AA drive-through finally open up for GU? I guess we will see.

hooter73
02-19-2019, 08:19 AM
Friggin right on! honestly it would be a lot to hope for that we get all of them in the end, but that we are heavily in the conversation is one more attribute about GU that future recruits will consider.

caldwellzag
02-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Any time frame on when we might have a commit(s)?

Have not heard a specific time frame, Suggs commits first, then Strawther. I would guess it will be after the high school season is through. One thing both guys know is that this year (2019) recruiting class is full of big men that will make both these guys better in the long run.

23dpg
02-19-2019, 09:06 AM

I think this is one time where your pessimism is the correct choice. I know nothing about the situation but these are teenage kids and there are still unscrupulous forces in college basketball.
Honestly, if we land both kids, to me that will be a sign that the sport is getting cleaner. (Foolish I know)
Fingers still crossed.

thespywhozaggedme
02-19-2019, 09:13 AM
Have not heard a specific time frame, Suggs commits first, then Strawther. I would guess it will be after the high school season is through. One thing both guys know is that this year (2019) recruiting class is full of big men that will make both these guys better in the long run.

So their playing season, not the school year? Anyone know when Minneapolis and Vegas finish their playing years?

CDC84
02-19-2019, 09:15 AM

I'm with you, but at least with these two guys, they have never indicated a "Dream School." Brandon made it clear that it was always Arizona. Then he backed off once the FBI stuff was going on. Once it settled down, he returned to "Chipmunk."

caldwellzag
02-19-2019, 09:17 AM
So their playing season, not the school year? Anyone know when Minneapolis and Vegas finish their playing years?

Strawther is the wild card of the two, as he might hold out a little longer and take all the visits he is allowed. I expect Suggs to sit down after the season is over and decide between football and basketball, plus commit to the school that best fits him. Landing both is a possibility from what I hear, but landing Suggs is an extreme possibility. Again if I had a Crystal Ball I would for sure put it in on Suggs and would probably follow suit with one on Strawther after Suggs commits.

I would not circle a specific date on the calendar Spy, but know this spring will be a great time for the Zags.

gonstu
02-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Strawther is the wild card of the two, as he might hold out a little longer and take all the visits he is allowed. I expect Suggs to sit down after the season is over and decide between football and basketball, plus commit to the school that best fits him. Landing both is a possibility from what I hear, but landing Suggs is an extreme possibility. Again if I had a Crystal Ball I would for sure put it in on Suggs and would probably follow suit with one on Strawther after Suggs commits.

I would not circle a specific date on the calendar Spy, but know this spring will be a great time for the Zags.

oh man - not only do we have to wonder if he'll pick the zags but also whether he'll even pick basketball!?!? I'm with jazz, hopeful pessimist until it happens!

jazzdelmar
02-19-2019, 09:46 AM
I'm with you, but at least with these two guys, they have never indicated a "Dream School." Brandon made it clear that it was always Arizona. Then he backed off once the FBI stuff was going on. Once it settled down, he returned to "Chipmunk."

Maybe it took time for his check to clear.

kitzbuel
02-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Maybe it took time for his check to clear.

Do Bahaman banks take longer?

caldwellzag
02-19-2019, 09:57 AM
oh man - not only do we have to wonder if he'll pick the zags but also whether he'll even pick basketball!?!? I'm with jazz, hopeful pessimist until it happens!

Football has always been a possibility. Basketball is the most likely outcome and GU is the most likely basketball school. Patience please, don't get all hyped up on some tweets from teenagers. I know for a fact that we are in a great spot with Suggs. Patience please!

gonstu
02-19-2019, 10:00 AM
Football has always been a possibility. Basketball is the most likely outcome and GU is the most likely basketball school. Patience please, don't get all hyped up on some tweets from teenagers. I know for a fact that we are in a great spot with Suggs. Patience please!

If only there was something to keep our minds occupied during the next 6 weeks while we wait... :) Let's enjoy the ride.

caldwellzag
02-19-2019, 10:09 AM
If only there was something to keep our minds occupied during the next 6 weeks while we wait... :) Let's enjoy the ride.

I know!! Let's enjoy our National Title Run this year and believe me the wait will be worth it.

GuZag2012
02-19-2019, 10:25 AM

The Minnesota State Basketball Tournament runs from March 20-23. Chances are quite likely that Jalen will be playing until the 23rd as they have won the Class AA tournament the previous 2 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigblahla
02-19-2019, 10:38 AM

Jazz....You hopeful pessimist... ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

thespywhozaggedme
02-19-2019, 11:01 AM
The Minnesota State Basketball Tournament runs from March 20-23. Chances are quite likely that Jalen will be playing until the 23rd as they have won the Class AA tournament the previous 2 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wow, ok. Thanks

CDC84
02-19-2019, 12:01 PM
The thing about Suggs and football is that he's a much better basketball prospect than he is a football prospect. Subject to change, of course, but that is where it stands right now.

JPtheBeasta
02-19-2019, 12:52 PM
This is crazy news. I’m enjoying the ride and following the developments.

bballbeachbum
02-19-2019, 01:01 PM

I'm with you on this one too jazz. those tweet pics are pretty cool tho, wonder if they believe it

Zagger
02-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Wow, I'm impressed with the interest the Zags are getting from darn good prospects. My main takeaway is that even if we do not land these guys - we're sitting pretty to land others. Like gonstu says ....

If only there was something to keep our minds occupied during the next 6 weeks while we wait...
Should the current crop of Zags do quite well at the Dance this year recruiting will only get better. I hope we don't get greedy - yet, be tempted to do so with how well the program is doing :)

MDABE80
02-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Time to salute the staff for this excellent recruiting effort. I don't think we'd get a look from these 2 ten years ago. Something's up. It's good. No matter what these two do, we got Dom Harris and that's just alright by me;)

HenneZag
02-19-2019, 02:41 PM
Getting these two on campus was a big step, but I never get to excited until the final bell rings, still alot of visits to take at some phenomenal programs. We have our hands full. Gonzaga has a culture and player atmosphere that not many can match, just depends on what is important to these two studs.

BayAreaZagFan
02-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Gonzaga has never not been in the tournament in their lifetime. All they've known is Gonzaga as a national brand. They probably even grew up knowing how to pronounce it! (OK - maybe that's a little bit of a stretch).

Mantua
02-20-2019, 10:45 PM
New pic from Sugg’s IG and Twitter accounts:

http://twitter.com/DominickHarri2/status/1098448313907593216

The picture originated on an Instagram account named "gonzagabasketballnews" which doesn’t look the least bit official and is no doubt some sort of fan page.

OCzag
02-20-2019, 11:20 PM
New pic from Sugg’s IG and Twitter accounts:

http://twitter.com/DominickHarri2/status/1098448313907593216

The picture originated on an Instagram account named "gonzagabasketballnews" which doesn’t look the least bit official and is no doubt some sort of fan page.

Dom Harris still tweet it directly himself, and Suggs and stranger commented, so it is still exciting enough for me. Thanks for posting

thespywhozaggedme
02-21-2019, 04:50 AM
Dom Harris still tweet it directly himself, and Suggs and stranger commented, so it is still exciting enough for me. Thanks for posting

Ok, why is Julians emoji's a crying one and a confused one under Doms tweet? Should we be concerned?

bigblahla
02-21-2019, 05:46 AM
Ok, why is Julians emoji's a crying one and a confused one under Doms tweet? Should we be concerned?

Spy.... would it do any good to tell you no?.... love your fandom... makes me think I'm sane.... "50" will tell ya different... ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

caldwellzag
02-21-2019, 05:46 AM

https://twitter.com/JulianStrawther/status/1098456066369630208

This one spy? I think we are reading way to much into social media and the emoji a kid puts out there. Patience will pay off with these two. Suggs first then Strawther, I have been saying that for awhile. As soon as Suggs decides dominoes will fall.

Bouldin4Prez
02-21-2019, 06:42 AM

The crying emoji is due to the ridiculousness of the avatars for each player. The crying emoji is meant more for laughter. The confused emoji is a guy that's thinking about something so in this case it's like a "hmm, this would be dope, don't you think?" Emojis are a weird thing. I'm not really trying to psycho analyze here, just pointing out how each of these emojis are used in today's world. We live in a crazy time.

thespywhozaggedme
02-21-2019, 06:58 AM
The crying emoji is due to the ridiculousness of the avatars for each player. The crying emoji is meant more for laughter. The confused emoji is a guy that's thinking about something so in this case it's like a "hmm, this would be dope, don't you think?" Emojis are a weird thing. I'm not really trying to psycho analyze here, just pointing out how each of these emojis are used in today's world. We live in a crazy time.

There are actually two crying emoji’s, one with laughter and one with tears. He posted both but the one with tears and the confused one are not under Dominic’s tweet, the laughing one with tears is. I got confused. And yes this is absurdly ridiculous that we are trying to decipher teenage boys emoji posts. I am laughing at the absurdity of it all.

sittingon50
02-21-2019, 09:20 AM
My childhood was so much easier. Sundial & abacus worked just fine.

Mantua
02-21-2019, 12:34 PM
My childhood was so much easier. Sundial & abacus worked just fine.

That’s exactly why I rarely post pictures. I can’t figure out how to do that from Twitter and Instagram, but I do understand most emojis and I can find stuff pretty easily. I’m grateful that I can still use my stove and refrigerator knowing that the day might come...

Spy, the emoji with streaming tears is used for extreme sadness, (like yesterday’s news about the passing of Karl Lagerfeld), and also for extreme laughter. Emoji meanings often depend on context.

thespywhozaggedme
02-21-2019, 02:14 PM
That’s exactly why I rarely post pictures. I can’t figure out how to do that from Twitter and Instagram, but I do understand most emojis and I can find stuff pretty easily. I’m grateful that I can still use my stove and refrigerator knowing that the day might come...

Spy, the emoji with streaming tears is used for extreme sadness, (like yesterday’s news about the passing of Karl Lagerfeld), and also for extreme laughter. Emoji meanings often depend on context.

You’re getting confused; there are actually two crying emoji’s as I explained in a previous post; one to signify sadness the other one laughing so hard that you’re crying.

BobZag
02-21-2019, 02:57 PM
There are actually two crying emojiís, one with laughter and one with tears. He posted both but the one with tears and the confused one are not under Dominicís tweet, the laughing one with tears is. I got confused. And yes this is absurdly ridiculous that we are trying to decipher teenage boys emoji posts. I am laughing at the absurdity of it all.

LOL!

Mantua
02-21-2019, 09:45 PM
Youíre getting confused; there are actually two crying emojiís as I explained in a previous post; one to signify sadness the other one laughing so hard that youíre crying.

You donít see a lot of emojis everyday in Instagram comments Iím guessing.

ZagsObserver
02-22-2019, 04:30 AM
I think the new ncaa requirements might influence Suggs’s decision. He could go straight to the nba or he’d have to stick it our two years in college.

zagssuperfan
02-22-2019, 06:34 AM
I think the new ncaa requirements might influence Suggsís decision. He could go straight to the nba or heíd have to stick it our two years in college.

From what I've read, it wouldn't go into effect until the 2022 draft, so I don't think it would impact him.

MDABE80
02-22-2019, 08:34 AM
They can go to the G league out of HS as well. And get paid $70K and up for their trouble.

caldwellzag
02-22-2019, 08:36 AM
They can go to the G league out of HS as well. And get paid $70K and up for their trouble.

Suggs is not going to the G League. He is a potential one and done kid though.

mgadfly
02-22-2019, 09:56 AM
If I'm understanding the new potential rule right, I think a lot of guys that wouldn't have touched the G League in the past will end up there. Isn't it G-League for 1 season or College for 2 seasons? The current one and done guys could punch their meal ticket a season earlier by going G League and being paid.

former1dog
02-22-2019, 10:06 AM
If I'm understanding the new potential rule right, I think a lot of guys that wouldn't have touched the G League in the past will end up there. Isn't it G-League for 1 season or College for 2 seasons? The current one and done guys could punch their meal ticket a season earlier by going G League and being paid.

I think its only G League if they can't make an NBA roster but are good enough for the G League.

Zagceo
02-23-2019, 06:43 AM
https://i.imgur.com/RVPnZda.jpg

EEzag
02-23-2019, 09:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/RVPnZda.jpg

Is it a problem that Harris has ADDIDAS on his shirt while the other two have NIKE?

Mantua
02-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Is it a problem that Harris has ADDIDAS on his shirt while the other two have NIKE?

The Nike shirts might break?

kitzbuel
02-23-2019, 05:49 PM
So Addidas is indicted by the FBI and Nike's shoes blow out. Hmm.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Zagger
02-26-2019, 01:58 AM
So Addidas is indicted by the FBI and Nike's shoes blow out. Hmm.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Just for fun, when Zion comes back, he ought to wear a colorful pair of Converse high tops in shootaround before the game :)

Mantua
02-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Just for fun, when Zion comes back, he ought to wear a colorful pair of Converse high tops in shootaround before the game :)

Chuck Taylor’s have no support and no cushioning. Meniscus grafts anyone? One of my children had a meniscus graft and has never been able to play basketball or tennis or ski since, thanks to a high school coach who made the kids wear them thinking they could avoid ACL injuries because feet slide around inside Converse shoes. There were four ACL injuries on the team in one season.

Converse is a Nike owned subsidiary.

Sorry, Zagger. I know it was a joke and I’ve been making Nike jokes too. When I saw Zion’s shoe, I thought about the responsibility that Nike has to provide athletes with good quality shoes, having lined their pockets with athletes’ money all these years. I’m still not over the whole Converse thing.

Alum08
02-27-2019, 05:50 AM
Chuck Taylorís have no support and no cushioning. Meniscus grafts anyone? One of my children had a meniscus graft and has never been able to play basketball or tennis or ski since, thanks to a high school coach who made the kids wear them thinking they could avoid ACL injuries because feet slide around inside Converse shoes. There were four ACL injuries on the team in one season.

Proper footwear is simply a matter of conditioning. You cannot expect high school kids to have sufficient conditioning and foot strength to be able to handle playing in CTs. But high level athletes with proper conditioning have played in CTs in the past without issue.

Most people mask poor foot and lower body conditioning with excessive cushioning and support shoes. Those types of shoes do not strengthen feet but they do allow most people to perform rigorous exercise for longer than they normally would. But it's a two-edged sword because any movement that tests the limits of the shoe is an injury risk.

The best option is combining proper conditioning and foot strength via impact training with barefoot and minimalist shoes during managed training (with proper recovery periods) and supportive and cushioned shoes for when the athlete has to go beyond his/her training limits (e.g. during a basketball season).

Basketball players are notorious for only wearing one kind of shoe, a basketball shoe, for practically all of their training, which leads to weak feet and legs. I know that GU encourages the players to go street running in less-supportive shoes, but I do not know what other type of lower body stability training they do. I would imagine it is better than most college programs and certainly superior to any high school training program.

Bogozags
02-27-2019, 06:03 AM
Proper footwear is simply a matter of conditioning. You cannot expect high school kids to have sufficient conditioning and foot strength to be able to handle playing in CTs. But high level athletes with proper conditioning have played in CTs in the past without issue.

Most people mask poor foot and lower body conditioning with excessive cushioning and support shoes. Those types of shoes do not strengthen feet but they do allow most people to perform rigorous exercise for longer than they normally would. But it's a two-edged sword because any movement that tests the limits of the shoe is an injury risk.

The best option is combining proper conditioning and foot strength via impact training with barefoot and minimalist shoes during managed training (with proper recovery periods) and supportive and cushioned shoes for when the athlete has to go beyond his/her training limits (e.g. during a basketball season).

Basketball players are notorious for only wearing one kind of shoe, a basketball shoe, for practically all of their training, which leads to weak feet and legs. I know that GU encourages the players to go street running in less-supportive shoes, but I do not know what other type of lower body stability training they do. I would imagine it is better than most college programs and certainly superior to any high school training program.

Very interesting...was not aware that there was a difference...THANKS for sharing!

EEzag
02-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Very interesting...was not aware that there was a difference...THANKS for sharing!

I read in a Runners World years ago about Ethiopian and Kenyan runners running primarily barefoot and its why they suffer far fewer lower body injuries. Great info.....not sure what it has to do with Suggs and Strawther..... but I digress.

Mr Vulture
02-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Come on everyone, focus...this is a thread about Suggs and Strawther.

Mantua
02-27-2019, 10:08 PM
I read in a Runners World years ago about Ethiopian and Kenyan runners running primarily barefoot and its why they suffer far fewer lower body injuries. Great info.....not sure what it has to do with Suggs and Strawther..... but I digress.

They are not running on hard surfaces. Very few are born with feet that aren’t out of balance in some way. Conditioning can’t compensate for a variety of structural problems. Running and jumping on hard surfaces is not good for joints. Strong core and leg muscles help and so does foot alignment, but joints are shock absorbers. Ethiopian and Kenyan long distance runners don’t weigh as much as basketball players so there is less shock to their joints. If your in the mood for real horror just google ballet dancers’ feet.